• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More PSP details....

neptunes

According to SCEE's Phil Harrison, Executive Vice President of Product Development, the PSP battery pack is meant to be worn on players' wrists -- we're not sure how this works, considering that the battery was nearly the size of the PSP at E3 (the article mentions that the final version will be 8mm thick). Running time of either the battery pack or the system itself was not discussed.

As far as codecs go, Harrison mentions the ATRAC audio support of the system, but the article goes on to say that MP3 will not be supported by the system -- this is in contrast to versions of the official specs that list MP3 as a supported codec. It was always known that PSP would push Sony's proprietary ATRAC3plus audio codec, for both security and corporate reasons, but it was assumed that ATRAC would mostly be the codec for UMD Audio and downloadable content releases, so it is unknown where this will fall out in the end (a third party MP3 player would be a given if Sony doesn't provide it, and users would have to convert their previously-encoded music files to the ATRAC format, so if this is the case, we're not sure what ends Sony plans to meet by omitting the feature.)

Harrison is also written up in reiterating the plan to have game and UMD Video movie prices in line with current PS2 and DVD prices. Movie and music producers have expressed interest in publishing to Sony's new disc format, and Harrison says that he expects a rental market to pop up around the PSP video releases.

One last note of the article is Harrison's personal, off-the-cuff opinion of Nintendo's DS ... which we will not get into here in order to save Nintendo fans from having to write yet another flurry of hate mail (needless to say, he's not as impressed with the system as some others have been.) Keep an ear out for more whispered words from Europe before the Jedi Masters send their padawan attendants out to quell the insurgence. .

does anyone have the latest issue of Edge magazine and want to confirm this?

"According to SCEE's Phil Harrison, Executive Vice President of Product Development, the PSP battery pack is meant to be worn on players' wrists"

THE END!

Oh my god these guys are fucking clueless! No mp3 support, $50 games? A battery pack on your wrist? What about it heating up!?

ibhat.gif

mr2mike

Banned
the wire looked long enough to have the battery pack stay in a pocket, and if it isn't, it's just a bit of wire h4x0r1ng away.

"the article goes on to say that MP3 will not be supported by the system"

Duh. They can inforce DRM with ATRAC files, not on MP3. Couple that with magicgate mem sticks this is a 1+1=2 deal.

Not a bother for me, I'm well used to converting MP3s to ATRAC for export to minidisc.

Well, PSP is looking like a mighty Trojan horse (or pimp, call it what you want) for the other Sony divisions.

Sony Clies did something similar to this. It didn't officially support MP3 playback (no where in the manuals do they tell you how to play MP3 files), but people found out accidently that if you throw your MP3 files into PALM>PROGRAMS>AUDIO folder in the memory stick, the music playback program in the Clie sees them all and plays them back without any conversion.

Brofist

neptunes said:
As far as codecs go, Harrison mentions the ATRAC audio support of the system, but the article goes on to say that MP3 will not be supported by the system -- this is in contrast to versions of the official specs that list MP3 as a supported codec. It was always known that PSP would push Sony's proprietary ATRAC3plus audio codec, for both security and corporate reasons, but it was assumed that ATRAC would mostly be the codec for UMD Audio and downloadable content releases, so it is unknown where this will fall out in the end (a third party MP3 player would be a given if Sony doesn't provide it, and users would have to convert their previously-encoded music files to the ATRAC format, so if this is the case, we're not sure what ends Sony plans to meet by omitting the feature.)

No surprise if that's true. It's the same system for their Net MD recorders now.

Deg

Banned
Based on what i read of the last Edge it was extremely positive on PSP. I certainly could not find any negative points or questionables. They seemed certain that GB is dead.

8bit

Knows the Score
I gave my copy of Edge away earlier today and I missed the bit about the battery pack, but the mp3 comment is correct, IIRC.

Hillarious if true (which is too absurd to believe). The PSP fanboys are gonna have a hard time calling DS players the kiddies, and the PSP mature if they're the ones with a battery pack strapped to their frickin wrist.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I can confirm this.

On a side note, MP3 is not mentioned in any official spec I got.

As for the opinion about the DS...

What do you think about Nintendo’s DS? Was the touchscreen function a surprise to you?
It’s a surprise in that Nintendo should know better. It’s a short-term benefit.

So you’re not viewing the DS as competition for PSP?
It’s a very different product, aimed at a very different audience.

Some believe that Nintendo is risking cannibalising its existing GBA audience. What do you think?
I think that you’d have to ask Nintendo that question and try to understand why they appear to have made such a knee-jerk reaction.

You think Nintendo’s DS is a knee-jerk reaction to PSP?
I am convinced of it.

real MP3 players like the iRiver H140 (fuck iPod!) can hold 40GB worth of MP3's...
who wants to use a PSP for music anyway...
i mean, i'm more excited about DS anyway, but i'll probably get a PSP sometime, as soon as good, original games come out (and i dont mean metal gear star online 3 card screwjob)...
but i can guarantee that i won't be buying any movies or music for it...
well, unless they change their mind and it DOES play mp3, then i'll get one of their overwhored memory sticks...

btrboyev

I told you guys games would cost just as much as current home console games

who's gonna buy a psp only movie for $20 and higher???

And it looks like the same old arrogant sony to me....the isn't giving the ds any sort of credibility as competiton.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wait.......woah....hold up a minute. Let's clear something up right here - is this battery pack they're talking about an EXTRA battery pack to boost the playtime of the unit, or THE battery? If so, omgwtf (in a horribly bad way). They can't be serious! I thought the battery was in the unit?

btrboyev said:
I told you guys games would cost just as much as current home console games

who's gonna buy a psp only movie for $20 and higher???

And it looks like the same old arrogant sony to me....the isn't giving the ds any sort of credibility as competiton.

They really have no clue what they're doing in the handheld market. It's hilarious how much of a joke this thing is already becoming. They're going to get bitch slapped by Nintendo, maybe not even with DS but with the plain old GBA SP.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The Faceless Master said:
real MP3 players like the iRiver H140 (fuck iPod!) can hold 40GB worth of MP3's...
who wants to use a PSP for music anyway...
i mean, i'm more excited about DS anyway, but i'll probably get a PSP sometime, as soon as good, original games come out (and i dont mean metal gear star online 3 card screwjob)...
but i can guarantee that i won't be buying any movies or music for it...
well, unless they change their mind and it DOES play mp3, then i'll get one of their overwhored memory sticks...

There is an understanding problem here.

Take you MP3 files, turn RealPlayer or SonicStage 2.0 on and tell it to transfer the music to the PSP: it does the conversion for you.

Is it tough to understand ?

CygnusXI

Hillarious if true (which is too absurd to believe). The PSP fanboys are gonna have a hard time calling DS players the kiddies, and the PSP mature if they're the ones with a battery pack strapped to their frickin wrist.

Cause when I think Kiddie, I think Battery pack on wrist.
lol

Im not getting into teh kiddie thing here, just found that statement hillarious.

neptunes

I'd rather put that external battery in my pocket then wear it on my wrist and look retarded.

each of the green lights represent what now?

Deg

Banned
StrikerObi said:
They really have no clue what they're doing in the handheld market. It's hilarious how much of a joke this thing is already becoming. They're going to get bitch slapped by Nintendo, maybe not even with DS but with the plain old GBA SP.

I think you got GBASP and DS mixed up there ;) but i think PSP will do great. There's an audience out there who dont like Nintendo and would rather buy a MS or Sony branded product. Judgeing by responses on various forums i think its safe to say where the audience is.

Timbuktu

I can't see the bit about battery pack strapped to the wrist.

Edge: Do you know how much extra life will be provided by the battery pack that was on display?

Phil: No, I'm afraid not, but I think it was sensible to show that there was such a thing in prototype right from the very beginning.

That's all he said about the battery pack. Overall, the interview doesn't give us anything other than your everyday pr-man bs. His comments on DS makes it clear.

Chrono

Banned
Deg said:
I think you got GBASP and DS mixed up there ;) but i think PSP will do great. There's an audience out there who dont like Nintendo and would rather buy a MS or Sony branded product. Judgeing by responses on various forums i think its safe to say where the audience is.

Believe it or not but mainstream audience don't give a fuck if it's Nintendo or sony. They want a good product with good games. It may come a shock to you but the idea of buying a system simply because it's the competitor of the company you "hate" would seem quite sad to and pathetic to anyone not familiar with gaming fanboys (and used to it :cool: ).

There's no "audience who hate nintendo and rather buy a sony product" but a buch of geeks with no lives and the maturity level of 6 year olds. You're in a minority. ;)

Deg

Banned
Chrono said:
Believe it or not but mainstream audience don't give a fuck if it's Nintendo or sony. They want a good product with good games. It may come a shock to you but the idea of buying a system simply because it's the competitor of the company you "hate" would seem quite sad to and pathetic to anyone not familiar with gaming fanboys (and used to it :cool: ).

There's no "audience who hate nintendo and rather buy a sony product" but a buch of geeks with no lives and the maturity level of 6 year olds. You're in a minority. ;)

I think you may be surprised especially as places like Edge are saying PSP will be the future ;) I think the extra PSP battery will cast away any doubts about the battery unless they mean that will be the main battery which it could be as looks like a better battery.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Phil Harrison not showing any respect for DS? Showing respect to your competitors is an honorable thing to do sir, something even a child would know.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Panajev2001a said:
Keep telling yourself that.

Pana, in this particular case, it's Sony who has to prove that they understand the market.

(And so far, they're off to what seems to be a rocky start.)

Chrono

Banned
Deg said:
I think you may be surprised especially as places like Edge are saying PSP will be the future ;) I think the extra PSP battery will cast away any doubts about the battery unless they mean that will be the main battery which it could be as looks like a better battery.

I'll remember that. We'll all see what happens when the numbers come out. That's a long time for now, but whoever loses this (Nintendo or Sony) will have it rubbed in their faces on this forum for eternity. ::goes to play a link to the past on his SP:: :cool:

btrboyev

yeah..an extra battery your gonna have to pay for...

PSP will be a great place for games..no doubt..if its got a lot more against it then it does for it at this point.

Keep in mind sony wants this to appeal to the older crowd..its going to be hard for them to get older people to go for the portable market. I know older people buy the GBA..but the GBA isn't expensive and offers a great gaming experience. Plus nintendo knows how to market portables..they have the advantage of the being the playstaion of portables and like the playstation brand..people will go with what they know.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Deg said:

Pardon? There are two reasons why you'd need/want to sell an external, supplemental battery:

1) The bundled battery has a stunted life under various, common use conditions.
2) Your ego's big enough to assume that people will love your product so much, that they'll drain the device dry. Constantly.

If Sony's serious about this being a gaming device, they'd do well to at least attempt to get *near* the SP's battery life. The whole "We'll sell an optional, external one," isn't getting my hopes up, and I was looking forward to the PSP just as much as the next guy.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I hope the battery pack has a long enough cable so I don't have to wear it on my wrist. Battery packs are not a fashion accesory and lord knows I don't need any help making me look like a fashionless idiot.

Wearing it around my neck is also something I don't plan on doing.

Placing it in my pocket seems like a good idea, woo!

Mairu

neptunes said:
Harrison is also written up in reiterating the plan to have game and UMD Video movie prices in line with current PS2 and DVD prices. Movie and music producers have expressed interest in publishing to Sony's new disc format, and Harrison says that he expects a rental market to pop up around the PSP video releases.
Thumbs way freaking down. I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy movies twice for the same price just so they could watch it on a tiny screen once... and make sure the movies they're watching aren't longer than 2.5 hours!

neptunes

Like I said once.

The only way you'd catch me buying a umd movies is if....

1. The movie in question is exclusive to UMD (and it has to be good)
2. If sony decides to incorporate a UMD drive into an existing DVD player, just like their Shelf systems that can accept MiniDiscs.

Chrono

Banned
Mairu said:
I can't imagine why anyone would want to buy movies twice for the same price just so they could watch it on a tiny screen once... and make sure the movies they're watching aren't longer than 2.5 hours!

b..bu-but-BUT IT'S SONY!! IT'S COOL! SONY WILL REVOLUTIONZIE GAIMING WE'LL NEVER PLAY GAMES AGAIN WE CAN WATCH MOVIES AND LISTEN TO MP3S! OMG!

Top Bottom