• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More PSP details....

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
sadsony.gif

Belfast

Hmmmm....while I don't think I'd ever need to buy a UMD movie, a rental system would actually work great, if you ask me. That way you don't have to buy it, but you can still utilize the function for those cases when you may want to watch a movie on your PSP.

MaddenNFL64

I might get this someday (Sony said it wants a 10 year life span, so I have time :p), but not for anything but games. No way in hell am I buying movies & music for this.

I want a DS anyway.

If GBNext takes the same route as PSP, I hope it is just a slimmed down version of the Gamecube, or at least a derivative of the Gamecube architecture that uses the same mini DVD. The Flipper & Gecko chips are powerful & small :).

NWO

Belfast said:
Hmmmm....while I don't think I'd ever need to buy a UMD movie, a rental system would actually work great, if you ask me. That way you don't have to buy it, but you can still utilize the function for those cases when you may want to watch a movie on your PSP.

And who wants to do that?

It would cost a couple of bucks to rent and you can get DVD movies for $15 and under. Then you'll have to return the stuff back to the store and people are too lazy to do that.

I don't see how anybody would want to watch a movie (seeing as that they'd have to get one under 2.5 hours as well) on a small screen instead of your tv. I listen to shit about people on here how they like to play PC games on their Xbox (stuff like Doom 3) because of their comfortable couch and big screen tv compared with their PC yet you people will be willing to watch something for 2 hours on a tiny screen that you have to hold/carry around? Please.

This movie and music stuff from Sony sounds like a waste and its suppose to be their big advantage over Nintendo. If Nintendo made something this limited on music and movies you guys would be killing them.

Looks like this chalks up a no buy from me and they haven't even released the price yet. As for Nintendo its still a wait and see.

The PSP is doomed. I just went from still semi-optimistic to fuck this rubbish. Battery life and That UMD movies business is just really stupid and now MP3 wise (on top of everything else)

NEXT.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Who the hell wants to walk around town with wires coming out of their pockets or off of their wrists? Sony's going to try to push this as the cool handheld, but it seems like anyone who wants to play it for a time is going to look like a huge dork!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
NWO said:
If Nintendo made something this limited on music and movies you guys would be killing them.

How is this limited ?

You cannot play .mp3... whaaaaa whaaaaaa whaa wha.... the software you will use to put the music on the Memory Stick will do the conversion for you on the fly.

What is the issue ?

You can put your custom movies and music on the Memory Stick, you can see movies and listen to music on the UMD.

How is this "limited" ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Lost Weekend said:
Who the hell wants to walk around town with wires coming out of their pockets or off of their wrists? Sony's going to try to push this as the cool handheld, but it seems like anyone who wants to play it for a time is going to look like a huge dork!

Who walks around town uninterrupted for more than 2 hours without being able to sit down, connect the battery pack and help the PSP re-charge ?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
TheGreenGiant said:
Battery life and That UMD movies business is just really stupid and now MP3 wise (on top of everything else)

NEXT.

Battery life: the machine is not even out yet.

UMD movie business: use the Memory Stick, rent the UMD movie or just use the machine to play games.

MP3 wise: your PSP will play your music once the music is on there. To get the music on there you need to use their software ( the PSP is not a Mass Storage compatible device like an Archos Jukebox and they always told you that DRM was a major concern for them ). Their software will handle the conversion from your favorite format to ATRAC3+.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Panajev2001a said:
Who walks around town uninterrupted for more than 2 hours without being able to sit down, connect the battery pack and help the PSP re-charge ?

Ask Sony. Obviously if they plan on you wearing the pack, they expect you to be moving around with it. If not, why make it wearable? And now you get to look like a dork with wires coming off of you thanks to their Revolutionary portable. Let me ask you a question. Would you buy a cell phone that had a wire running from it connected to your belt? They have got to be fucking kidding me.

That battery pack is sweet, in a Rez-vibrator-not-so-sweet way.

But seriously, my only serious problem with the PSP is the proprietary nature of the UMD. Meaning I'm SOL if I want to burn some MP3s (if the thing even supports MP3s) or copy movies onto a UMD.

I heard that publishers won't even be allowed to create their own PSP builds, for fear that UMD writers might get stolen or somehow profilerate. Instead, publisher X submits a build to Sony, Sony burns it onto a UMD, Sony mails the UMD back to publisher X. If that's even true, then it's going to be a pain in the ass for any team that creates multiple builds a day, which is every team.

You'll still be able to listen to your MP3 songs (technically speaking), you just have to convert them to ATRAC while transfering them to your PSP. They would still remain mp3's on your PC afterwards. It is really a non-issue for myself. I do it w/ my MD's all the time.

If you happen to hate ATRAC for it's sound quality though, then you truly are SOL.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Panajev2001a said:

Dude, the "Who walks around away from an outlet for more than [x] hours at a time?" argument doesn't fly in the iPod threads in OT, it sure as hell isn't going to work for a device which makes Apple's little battery guzzler look like a hybrid car.

(Although as an aside, and I'll most likely bring it up again later, my iPod's battery meter was registering *dead* empty last night, but it still kept going for at least an hour, and it probably would've gone longer if I hadn't gotten home.)

White Man

You cannot play .mp3... whaaaaa whaaaaaa whaa wha.... the software you will use to put the music on the Memory Stick will do the conversion for you on the fly.

The only thing worse than using RealPlayer to convert mp3s to atrac is using Sony's own Sonicstage software. I have no idea how SonicStage got out of testing. It ranks as some of the shakiest commercial software I've ever used. Sony better tighten that up before they unleash it on the general masses.

White Man said:
The only thing worse than using RealPlayer to convert mp3s to atrac is using Sony's own Sonicstage software. I have no idea how SonicStage got out of testing. It ranks as some of the shakiest commercial software I've ever used. Sony better tighten that up before they unleash it on the general masses.

I certainly shared that viewpoint as well w/ Sonicstage, but I must admit they've really shaped up with Sonicstage 2.0. Haven't had any problems with it.

Yet. *looks at PC nervously*

Drek

How clueless are people? Sony never supports MP3, why suddenly start with PSP?

As for game/movie prices, well, Sony sells their own games at $40, if 3rd parties stick with that it'd be very cool, if not I can deal. Worth the extra money for the extra quality, though that obviously depends on the games being equal in enjoyment and replayability to console titles of equal price. Movies also retail around the $15 range more often than not now too, but I think the PSP movie feature is going to be used more as a fad/impulse buy, with rentals being the more logical way to go. How often are you free yet on the road long enough to watch a movie?

Battery life is the all important kicker for me. If it sucks, screw the PSP. If its tolerable, sign me up. I'd be happy with 5-6 hours of gameplay time.

NWO

Panajev2001a said:
UMD movie business: use the Memory Stick, rent the UMD movie or just use the machine to play games.

There's your "limited".

Why do I want to pay for a machine that has tons of features that most people are NOT going to use? I'd rather have it just play games and not this other junk that's not working out.

If its not worth it to play movies and music (which everyone always brings up as a plus for this thing) THEN IT MAKES IT LIMITED BECAUSE YOUR JUST LIMITED TO GAMES.

Now I don't know if you'll got all that because your going into hyperdrive on damage control here. For somebody who is telling everyone that they don't know final details about the machine your sure as hell bent on defending it.

So far everything Sony has released on this thing has been getting less than favorable feedback by the gaming community and that's probably why they haven't released the price yet. If they made it cheaper without the movies and music I'd consider it if it increased the horrible battery life .

White Man

2.0 isn't as bad as previous versions. I still think it's too slow, and it freezes if I use it too much in one sitting. It is a step in the right direction, but I just wish Sony would outsource the development of the next set of tools. A program that converts, imports, and exports shouldn't be all that difficult with the PC resources today.

And hell, maybe releasing the PSP will finally make Sony support Macs. I can't make new MDs because I only have my iBook with me.

The Graphice look nice on the PSP but from the articls that the only thing nice about it.
I think Nintendo is going to kill sony in the hand held market. With bad battery life and having to wear the battery pack on your wrest and the whole MP3 thing. I think Sony have not thought this through and let not talk about price. I don't see the casual gamer buying it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
In a Coffeeshop in the not so distant future...

Guy: Hi there. Is this seat taken?

Girl: No not at...what the hell is that wire coming from your arm?

Guy: It's connected to my Sony PSP! Pretty cool, huh?

Girl: Uh...my boyfriend is going to be here in a few minutes. That's him over there.

Guy: But you just said... (and a loud crash as he nervously drops his PSP) Why god. Why!

Mason

The PSP honestly didn't sound all that bad at first, except for the shaky battery life and price. But these "little" tidbits keep leaking out, and the situation keeps getting worse everyday.

The idea of wearing a wristpack is certainly not appealing. But if one company could make it fashionable (hate that word) to wear, it'd be Sony aka Masters of Aesthetic.

Have you seen the new MD's coming out? Sex to the eyes babes. I have no trouble believing Sony will make it at the very least bearable in public.

Mason

Well if anyone can make a wearable battery work and look good, it's Sony. But I think the fact that this is just now coming out shows just how unfinalized everything we've seen is.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'd argue that what looks good to a technophile might not look good to joe schmoe consumer, and unless sony is to be satisfied with an audience composed mainly of early adopters and hardware enthusiasts, they should rethink their concepts as far down the line as needed to ensure that a 'wearable battery pack' isn't a necessity. I mean, really think about that for a second. Really. A wearable battery pack...

aoi tsuki

Mason said:
The PSP honestly didn't sound all that bad at first, except for the shaky battery life and price. But these "little" tidbits keep leaking out, and the situation keeps getting worse everyday.
It really will come down to games. Despite the movie and music buzz, i still see the PSP as a portable game machine, but simply "smarter" than previous machine in its marketed ability to do more than just games natively. A well-marketed game can move units, especially if it has WiFi play. i wouldn't even be surprised to see battery packs move just so people could have longer play sessions.

i'm personally waiting to see what game it is that i'll have to have that'll make me want the unit. Thus far, i'm not interested in watching movies, and Sony's really screwed up making music playback worthwhile.

Mason

I've got an mp3 player, and even if I didn't, I wouldn't want to carry a PSP around to listen to music. I'm not going to pay $15-20 to buy a movie on a proprietary format so I can watch it on one device with a tiny screen. And I'm not going to pay $300+ to play games for a couple hours.

I really don't see any way to sell this thing to the average consumer. I can see people initally seeing it and going "WHOA, Playstation 2-quality graphics on that sleek little thing?!" And then they'll see the price tag and walk off.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
First of all, nobody is forcing you to buy UMD movies.
Its not like the compeition has any better setup.

Second of all, the external battery is stupid. Make a longer lasting battery somehow.

Lastly, The majority of the problems with the sytem other then the batteries would be solved if there was a UMD writer. If nobody buys UMD movies, i'm sure sony will rethink their strat a little bit.

Zilch said:

Actually, Sony's press photos had everyone wearing the PSP on a lanyard like that fellow's wearing.

If someone's got the Photoshop skills to make that happen, I think we have an accurate shot of the FUTURE!

aoi tsuki

Suikoguy said:
Its not like the compeition has any better setup.
True, but the competition isn't trying to push music and movies in a way that's expensive to the user. They're focusing on games.

i hate to even bring it up, but i really wish the PSP at least played Hi-MDs. i hate the fact that Sony's reinventing their wheel, making another proprietary format. Hi-MD playback would increase value in both the format and the PSP, and make it one less thing people would have to carry in their pockets. Memory Stick support is a good start, but it's the smaller and more expensive Duo variety.

Between my cell, PDA, MD, and the occasional GBA SP and digital camera, i'm on the verge of getting a murse...

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Zilch...

I love that photoshop...

But something else caught my eye. I'm a HUGE Audrey Hepburn fan, but I don't think I've ever seen that pic of her, what was it from? Funnyface?

Panajev2001a said:
Take you MP3 files, turn RealPlayer or SonicStage 2.0 on and tell it to transfer the music to the PSP: it does the conversion for you.
Mmmm, the joy of audio transcoding artifacts. Once again, Sony Music hobbles the rest of the company.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Okay, I'll add to the conversation...

Sony is going to have a hard time with PSP. It won't fail, but I don't see it going beyond niche. GameBoy has crushed LOT'S of competitor's even though they were mostly all more powerful and could do more things. What mattered in the end to the consumer was durability, battery life and most importantly: price! This is why the GameBoy will always preveil, 'cos it has all three. Why is price so important for portable gaming? Because it will ALWAYS be a secondary form of gaming behind console gaming...the lower software attach rates prove this. Not only will Sony have a rough time with the durability, battery life & price issues...it'll also have problems with trying to make portables more than a secondary form of gaming. PS2-level graphics on a portable is an amazing acheivment, but will the market justify the higher costs that come with it? Games will be more expensive to make and ultimatly will be more expensive to the consumer...not good for a secondary form of gaming. Plus, what if this does become some kind of success? I'm not saying games should forever stay "low-level" on portables, but when they start cutting into the meat'n'potatoes of the business (consoles) then Sony will have to worry about spreading thier resources over two formats which (ask Nintendo) is not an easy task. Plus, don't get me started on Sony *again* trying to create their own uber-format...

GDGF

Soothsayer
That's good, because there is no way in hell sony would have been able to sell that idea.
A freaking wearable battery pack. I wish the :lol smiley still worked :(

mj1108

NWO said:
Why do I want to pay for a machine that has tons of features that most people are NOT going to use?

Because it's better to have a unit with features you won't use just so you look cool.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
neptunes said:
Lost Weekend, the battery pack isn't wear-able!

That was added on my part.
So, you're saying you fabricated this part of a story that appears on IGN's PSP site and, in fact, Phil Harrison didn't actually say the battery is meant to be worn around the wrist? Am I understanding you right?

Kudos on the Federman-style hoodwink, if so.

Top Bottom