• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More SB:LoC hilarity from Capcom

shoplifter

http://www.capcom.com/BBS/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3778

The story of the guy who owns Steel-Battalion.net and his quest to make the game work. Marvel at Capcom's ridiculous replies and total lack of a solution. Also, make note of the lies stating they didn't know that the Xbox Dash Test was faulty even though there's evidence to the contrary.

In addition laugh when they say that the poster violated a disclaimer he never agreed to.

Sorry about the bitching, but this one really fucking burns me up.

Culex

Banned
Capcom: Not only do we not have an answer to your problems, but we are going to accuse you of breaking a disclaimer that was never mentioned.

:)

shoplifter

Culex said:
Capcom: Not only do we not have an answer to your problems, but we are going to accuse you of breaking a disclaimer that was never mentioned.

:)

The disclaimer is actually at the bottom of their emails, but it's about as valid as a EULA. He just didn't add that part to his post.

ChrisReid

This just isn't a game for 128 kilobit uploaders. Campaign games require a minimum of six people. There's a lot at stake if your character dies, so everyone needs to be on an equal connection. It's a peer to peer game, instead of client server, so if there are one or two people with a bad connection, those who are playing will all suffer. When I was on 128, most of my games, including the client-server, would start to get choppy with more than a dozen people. The game isn't buggy, it's just demanding on your connection for a variety of reasons. In Japan people play this game regularly with ten players per match and it's fine because they have much faster connections on average. With a 256 kilobit upload, I played the game for an hour or three every day for about ten weeks. There were quite a few hiccups during launch week, but after that it cleaned up quite nicely and I had almost no connection errors or problems.

Wow. I know Capcom has a history of awful support, but this takes the cake. For $250 (really $300 if you bought the first game, which I've heard is necessary just to know how to play), Capcom should be bending over backwards. These are their hardcore fans, and the company is just ignoring them.

"Oh, the game doesn't work like it's supposed to? Well, we've decided not to bother fixing it, so too bad. Check out Mega Man Battle Network 13: Doo Doo Brown & Royal Purple for Game Boy Advance."

I would very seriously consider taking this to a consumer advocacy group if I owned the game.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Am I the only one who thought the guy bitching was a moron? #1 he can't seem to fucking TYPE clearly, and #2, whether it's valid and binding or not, THE BOTTEM OF THE EMAIL SENT TO HIM SAYS TO NOT REPRINT IT. Then he gets pissy after they catch him reprinting it (on their own site, no less) and they say thet won't try to help him anymore. I mean christ.

Capcom COULD be better about this, there's no denying that. I don't see them being especially unreasonable, though. The guy's connection isn't exactly mind-blowing...

shoplifter

english isn't his 1st language iirc, and I have no problems with him posting communication as Capcom have been complete asshats about this whole issue. They've been supposed to call several people with info for nearly two months now. At this point people are just trying to expose their asshattery.

Seriously, I could add a disclaimer at the end of my emails stating that because they read it they must now either fix the game or pay me $10k. It's not binding, no agreement was made.

ChrisReid said:
The game isn't buggy, it's just demanding on your connection for a variety of reasons.

Yet it doesn't work at all on connections that FAR surpass the requirements Capcom claims for 5v5. They totally ignored the SDK info that says the dash check is faulty, then claim they didn't know, never mind coding it for an internet situation which DOES NOT EXIST.

Seriously, I'm happy that you managed to play it, but don't forget that -your- experience is being shit on by Capcom's lack of support. This just means that there are fewer players, and it's all buy assured at this point that the game is going to be dead by year's end.

Microsoft or Capcom should have provided their own dedicated servers. They can't rely on peer-to-peer if the average person's bandwidth cannot handle it.

BuddyC

I bought the original Steel Battalion so that, one day, I could play it over Xbox Live. No joke. I figured, "Hey, I can play single player for a bit, and then when the multiplayer game comes out, I can play online and have a blast." Even when the single player mode got kinda stale, I still maintianed hope.

Finally, SB:LoC was in stores. I picked up my copy, and well, had hella problems. I called MS, I called Capcom...I couldn't get into one campaign game. It was ridiculous - I would set everything up, sit down with a book, and wait for people to join the room. After a 10-15 minute wait, we'd launch, and I'd get a connection error.

I had to create two new pilots due to losing all my mechs in connection errors.

I gave up for a bit. A few weeks later, I hopped back on again, in a 2 vs. 2 room. The game went well at first, but then the host dropped out. Prior to that, the game had become increasingly laggy.

I've tried on and off to play SB:LoC since, and it just doesn't work for me, either at home or school. I have spent, at the least, five hours waiting to play in a lobby. My actual game time is around 45 minutes. All in all, I've played 4, maybe 5, matches - with only one being in campaign mode, and all of them suffering from some degree of lag.

Capcom was kind enough to offer a full refund to anyone who would send the game back. I declined, and keep the game on my shelf, if just for collector's sake.

When it works, it's one of the best video game experiences ever, and that's probably the worst part of it all. The game is brilliant, but the net code, due to our "American" connections, is utter rubbish.

What wasted potential.

BioFan

BuddyChrist83 said:
When it works, it's one of the best video game experiences ever, and that's probably the worst part of it all. The game is brilliant, but the net code, due to our "American" connections, is utter rubbish.

What wasted potential.
+1

funny thing is, the beta ver works a lot better than the final ver. At least for me...

Top Bottom