• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X - CG trailer (PC/360/XB1/PS3/PS4, 2015, E3 Debut, Box Art, Info, UE3)

Lol: Samaritan is real: to be honest, now it is made using UE4 and the character is called Owen he is around 48K triangles, pic from UE4 editor:
Lc78ypm.png

PS:pic from my editor!
Yes very interesting stuff, I hope it gets unveiled next week.

Mk is gonna look killer with this engine.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
We're never getting another Shaolin Monks game or awesome Midway era Arcade game, are we? I love MK, but those games showed they could do so much more than fighting games as well.

MattyG

Banned
I can't keep track, is this going to be UE3 or 4? Thread title says 3, but people are talking about 4. Is this all just speculation?

J-Rzez

I'm more than down for some more MK. Would it be too much to expect this to come close to this trailer visually? I mean, it is just a fighter with two people on the screen at once.

But that trailer...

When I first saw it I was :O
Then the music started and I was like : /
Then the the vocals happened and I was :mad:

Yeah, that song was so bad and ill-fitting I was completely distracted from watching what was going on in the trailer. Had to rewatch it muted. I'm not against rap, especially GOOD rap, but man that was awful. Worse than the last few CoDs and BF with their awful music choices for trailers/commercials.

Damn.

~~Hasan~~

I'm more than down for some more MK. Would it be too much to expect this to come close to this trailer visually? I mean, it is just a fighter with two people on the screen at once.

But that trailer...

Yeah, that song was so bad and ill-fitting I was completely distracted from watching what was going on in the trailer. Had to rewatch it muted. I'm not against rap, especially GOOD rap, but man that was awful. Worse than the last few CoDs and BF with their awful music choices for trailers/commercials.

Damn.

OMG these were exactly my thoughts lolol. quoted for the mother fucking truth >_>

Zen

Banned

But that trailer...

Damn.

Ugh, the minute they started showing environmental gimmicks and weapons (a la their DC game) my interest really took a hit. Hopefully the X-RAY attacks are as fast as in that trailer, that would be something.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
It looked good(well it's not in-game lol), but there were two things that really felt off to me:

1)the music, what was that shit? I don't want that in a fantasy, dark, bloody fighting game like mortal kombat, original music or metal are the only options for me.

2)voices, this is just me, but those voices seemed too equal to the ones of the previous MKs, i mean i love them but it seemed like they copy-pasted the audio files of a previous mortal kombat, another thing is that the video was serious while for some reason i have always considered those voices(and MK in general) not serious, so they don't blend well together imo.

UE3 is disappointing though.

I could do without the music. Completely ruined the atmosphere.... Someone should redo the trailer with the Mortal Kombat theme song by the Immortals.

chaosaeon

UE3 ... and that's been confirmed ? FFS. Even Arkham knight (which looks good) still has that "gamey" look to it ; something unnatural about the way everything looks, and not in an appealing way for me. Maybe it's the UE3 lighting, since Mirror's Edge looked amazing and as far as I know the lighting was changed. I really hope we don't see gameplay and it looks like finely detailed action figures again.

Trojan X

Banned
Omg just with the different music, I am much more excited.
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/538c84dcd05f9-mortal-kombat-x-trailer-music-fixed.php

You're welcome. That was almost perfect!

I seriously cannot stand that MK movie music soundtrack. I think its fantastically cheesy in the worse of ways and any use of that track should be barred from any version of the MK video game.

If you want something awesome, then the dev really should have listen and stuck to their own trumpet, the trumpet of skills used to make this badass soundtrack that was utilize for the MK9 promo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nan-AENKBdc

Now THAT is a badass soundtrack. Here is the original video in case people has forgotten: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4h2IhbZPXU

I am super excited for this, but also worried. The animation, even with the high quality CGI, looks stiff to me. Game will probably animate like MK9/Injustice again. I know this is what they are probably going for, but goddamn I don't dig it. I love the designs and all that, I just wished it moved smoother and flashier. I will still get it though, haha.

This is UE3 LOL? WAAAAAT!

Just how much better is this going to look than MK9 on PC?

And isn't Injustice running without many jaggies on PS4? I can't see how UE3 is going to push the fighter much. Hmph.

Nemesis_

I am not too bothered about UE3 since as people have pointed out already, Arkham Knight is running on UE3. BUT as I type this I realise that's also exclusive to PC and new gen, not old gen.

I really hope they do something good with it in terms of visuals. Injustice PS4 was not really a good looking game nor did it take advantage of the hardware as much as it could have.

I mean, I doubt UE4 was a proper thing for external studios just after Injustice wrapped, which is when I assume this game entered production.....right??

WTF is up with the interactables?? I don't want that trash from Injustice in MK. Please Boon, don't do this to me.

When the series started to devolve and focus on dumb gimmicks is when we got stuff like Deadly Alliance, Deception and Armageddon. I enjoyed those games for what they were, but there is no question about it that their scaled back focus for MK9 resulted in one of the best MK games ever made.

wildfire

Banned
If we could just filter this thread and leave out all the "music" complaints we'd have 2 pages of debate left.

I wish it was possible to filter out the music complaints as well. The thread would have less filler. It would also help make it easier to see how many people are actually analyzing it.

I get the complaints about having a CGI trailer but it's not like were weren't given any info about gameplay here.

I thought Netherrealm would strictly keep all the unique elements of Injustice separate from MK but from that trailer it is safe to say MK10 will also have interactibles.

I love interactibles but it is big change for people to consider how the stages are laid out. Sure MK9 had different stage sizes but that didn't require you to understand new button commands, nor did it drastically change other aspects of how matchups worked other than favoring rushdown with smaller stages and zoning with longer stages.

Another new gameplay mechanic that is being indicated in the trailer is an entirely new combo break system. With combo breakers in MK9 you always knocked down but in this one you have the option to leave them standing in a stunned state.

It seems that there will be some larger control over the standing and knocked down state in general but even if I'm right you can't tell who is controlling that state.

If we're analyzing this thing, parry system that's fluid, weapons, environmental attacks.

Awesome. Sign me up. And everyone in this thread that has a problem with the music can just mute the audio. Musics fine. There have been much worse uses. Snoop Dogg and Tekken, anyone? CoD and Eminem? Sheesh.

There won't be weapons like Soul Calibur. Sub and Scorp have these weapons to visually represent their hit boxes.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
They would have been better off just showing raw gameplay instead of a CG trailer with no gameplay. Their marketing is going to backfire on them if the game doesn't look and play exactly how the trailer because their trailer looked like a traditional match without a HUD and some additional cut scenes.

Horrible news, forget if its a modified ue3 engine to the point where it's not unreal anymore, at the core it's still ue3 and will never match ue4.

Guys, it's UE3. That thing the UnrealEngine twitter account said was just generally saying "use UE4!". Here is what they posted afterwards:

Unreal Engine ‏@UnrealEngine 4h
@polyneutron Teams starting out new projects should go with UE4.

Unreal Engine ‏@UnrealEngine 4h
@Kitatus_Studios @noobde To clear up any confusion, MKX is built w/ NetherRealm's modified UE3 foundation. We recommend UE4 for new games.

Dali

I am super excited for this, but also worried. The animation, even with the high quality CGI, looks stiff to me. Game will probably animate like MK9/Injustice again. I know this is what they are probably going for, but goddamn I don't dig it. I love the designs and all that, I just wished it moved smoother and flashier. I will still get it though, haha.
It's mortal kombat. People should realize at this point the janky animation isn't an accident. The characters have moved with the same goofy stiffness since the very first rendition.

Top Bottom