• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Day 1 Patch [probably DOESN'T decrease token rate]

//ARCANUM

This is disgusting. It's everything I hate about mobile gaming now shoved in to AAA Console games. They change the gameplay to encourage more IAPs. And sure you can claim "you don't need to buy it blah blah" but changing the game to the extent where before you got 2500 coins for something and now you get 200 is HUGE. It's not like 300 to 200. Its a difference of 2300. It's obvious that they are changing the game at the last minute and not thinking of the mechanics of fun and solely on how they can get more $$ out of us all.

Lollolololol, if you like fighting games who cares. You will play it long enough to unlock everything. Many worse things have happened in life. So dramatic.

Let's just saying you're right, so why did this change come after reviews were coming in?

RM8

Lollolololol, if you like fighting games who cares. You will play it long enough to unlock everything. Many worse things have happened in life. So dramatic.
Meh, I hate grinding for costumes. Especially now that we know it was originally quicker. This is shameful, really. Bring SFV already :( I'm still hyped for MKX (I'm hoping it's playable by the time I get my new PC in over a week) but I'm already bitter about these money grabbing schemes, including the awful mobile game that you need to play to get some costumes.

Couleurs

Thanks for the warning; I was going to buy MK when I got off work but I'll just wait until it's cheap if they're going to pull this shit to sucker people into micro transactions

I believe that a significantly grindier Krypt would negatively affect review scores, don't you?

It all depends on how long on average it would take to get 100%. If it's years? Then it's a bad call. If it's months? Chances are the majority of people complaining wouldn't be playing this game 3 months from now anyway. You can have a game have filler and it still be fine. Once you pass the hidden line of no tomorrow that's an issue. No one's outlined how long it would take so most of the responses, to me, are knee jerk, "get DLC outta my game" comments.

I wouldnt mind if you knew wtf you were unlocking before spending the coins... I only want the unlocks for a few specific people and at this rate I may as well finish the entire damn krypt.

Bizazedo

They need to raise game prices to $70 or $75 already and eliminate most / all IAPs. Not only would the shockwaves be amazing on this board, it's probably overdue given inflation.

ironcreed

Banned
This industry is trying it's hardest to keep inching closer and closer to:

CANDY-CRUSH-FOR-WINDOWS-PHONE-1024x577.jpg

... in full retail games. It's utterly disgusting.

Wynnebeck

Banned
So should I be trying t unlock everything as fast as possible while the patch downloads? My internet is so slow that it will take literally hours so I can practically unlock a good portion pre-patch correct?

Moff

the krypt is super grindy, completing a tower (10 fights) on medium doesnt even give you 5000 koins and many graves in the krypt require 6000 or more. and there are hundres of graves. just to point that out.
even worse, tons of them unlock crap like music or artwork, or costumes you can easily get by completing a tower with a character. or fataltities you already know, so often you get stuff you already have. again, it's super grindy.

sure, encouraging long time motivation is fine, but with tha 20 bucks krypt unlock, that just doesnt sit well with me. the best way is probably to just wait and see which graves are worth it, look it up online before spending the koins.

This is pretty damn shady, give reviewers a smoother ride to getting all the 'cool' unlocks so they reward your fun title with a good core and then make players grind like hell for the same things all the while dangling RMT shortcuts. Super fucking shitty behaviour.

They need to raise game prices to $70 or $75 already and eliminate most / all IAPs. Not only would the shockwaves be amazing on this board, it's probably overdue given inflation.

That won't happen. If they raised it to $75 dollars it will still have microtransactions. You can count on that.

the krypt is super grindy, completing a tower (10 fights) on medium doesnt even give you 5000 koins and many graves in the krypt require 6000 or more. and there are hundres of graves. just to point that out.
even worse, tons of them unlock crap like music or artwork, or costumes you can easily get by completing a tower with a character. or fataltities you already know, so often you get stuff you already have. again, it's super grindy.

sure, encouraging long time motivation is fine, but with tha 20 bucks krypt unlock, that just doesnt sit well with me. the best way is probably to just wait and see which graves are worth it, look it up online before spending the koins.
This guy gets it. It wouldnt be that bad if the graves were marked.

I believe that a significantly grindier Krypt would negatively affect review scores, don't you?

Hrm. I can see it being done as a 'Let's give reviewers a large amount of koins and we'll just adjust it closer to launch date.'

Yeah, I can see reviews being more negative if they had the krypt purchase DLC from the beginning whilst having a grindy currency. If they did this for reviews...then one could argue why they didn't make it a day 0 patch and then another patch to remove that adjustment, so it can be argued that the pre-patch amount of koins earned was the original intended amount.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain

To be fair in front of this obvious DLC bullshit, the costumes you can unlock in towers are replaced by coins in the Krypt if you got them elsewhere. Not that it's excusable. I just don't blame Netherrealm. This sounds and feel like Warner Bros fuckery.

I'm pretty sure there's a Krypt guide out there already so that helps

Just gonna uninstall the game on PS4, then run through the story mode to see how many credits I get

Well thankfully (not really) the netcode in this game is supposedly ass so I won't feel like I have to go online until it is addressed, if they ever do that is.

I'll just not download the patch and grind it out. Does anyone have any patch notes? Does it do anything besides adding online functionality and decreased koin rewards?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
This is big business, not a Christmas pantomime. They both made their contributions to the situation.

I don't blame the guys who are paid to make the games. Warner Bros takes the money decisions here, that's obvious. Ed Boon and his team haven't fucked anyone over in any other MK games. The Krypt is a fucking staple.

This is Warner Bros, I'm 100% sure.

This is big business, not a Christmas pantomime. They both made their contributions to the situation.
Sure, but how much of NRS contributed to it? I could see it being a Manager and 2 coders making a patch. I am pretty sure it was a last minute call.
Also if WB made the decision, why would NRS say no? They could lose their bonuses.

You can tell when people like a developer because suddenly the lines between developer and publisher are unbreakably strong as opposed to when they don't like a developer.

low-G

I will definitely not download the patch right away then, no point, until I've played single player for a few days

I just want to ask the 2500 to 500 koins are we sure that is not for replaying a boss, and getting less which is usually the case with games(Diablo 3), or is it even new players who never played before getting the 500 koins instead of the 2500 before the patch? Not trying to defend anyone but i would really like to know if this has been tested in anyway.

If this is true it is ridiculous and WB and to some extend NRS should be called out on it in the media.

Vire

Is this the new procedure for hiding incredibly awful micro transaction policies from reviewers?

Have it an acceptable level while critics are reviewing, then as soon as the game is released and reviews are published, push out a patch that screw over consumers?

Awesome fucking job NR and WB games.

You can tell when people like a developer because suddenly the lines between developer and publisher are unbreakably strong as opposed to when they don't like a developer.
Yep.
Heck I still think Sticker Star got screwed over with Nintendo getting too involved with it.

Grinding for currency in a fighting game? What even?
You have to grind a good bit for money in Smash. The difference is it was pretty clear their was a grind and the developers didn't change anything after reviews. Still got 9/10 scores.

UberTag

This guy gets it. It wouldnt be that bad if the graves were marked.
Are the graves randomly generated while unmarked?

At least some discerning folks could release a fully unlocked grave map to allow discerning gamers to isolate what content was worth spending their game credits on as opposed to the current system of playing the lottery.

TheHall

Absolutely and since it wasn't mentioned anywhere that this was a perk, we can either assume all reviewers are evil and in on it, or they got bamboozled themselves.

It would be a great opportunity for gaming media to collectivly take a stand on this.

Are the graves randomly generated while unmarked?

At least some discerning folks could release a fully unlocked grave map to allow discerning gamers to isolate what content was worth spending their game credits on as opposed to the current system of playing the lottery.
Well I cant find such a guide yet...

MMaRsu

Banned
To be fair in front of this obvious DLC bullshit, the costumes you can unlock in towers are replaced by coins in the Krypt if you got them elsewhere. Not that it's excusable. I just don't blame Netherrealm. This sounds and feel like Warner Bros fuckery.

Fuck that it cant all be on WB. Netherrealm has to agree to this shit to a certain degree.

This game is a disgusting 2015 release riddled with an online region lock and horrible dlc free to play model type shit.

It just sucks that it looks amazing and the gameplay also looks great and I want to buy it so bad.

But I shall not.

Absolute fucking BOLLOCKS. Not a chance in hell I purchase this new. I'll wait 18 months for the GOTY edition and then purchase it used. Netherrealm and WB can go fuck themselves. Those cunts arseholes won't see a penny from me.

Review numbers better be updated to reflect this nonsense.

100% agreed. They won't get a single dime from me.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Fuuuuck. It's gonna keep trying to download the damn patch. I don't think I could be bothered enough to delete the damn patch, I'll see how it effects Story mode koins.

Take your console offline and play it that way until you get all you want. Then go back online with the patch.

E92 M3

Yeah, that's bullshit.

--

I am hoping that Giantbomb blows this up. Normally, we could rely on Patrick to call out industry BS.

Xenthar

I can't be the only one not giving a fuck about all this and enjoying a damn great game if not one of the best entry in the series?

I may never unlock everything but i don't really care except for costumes and fatality. The game has well enough content for a full price game. The game is awesome, did'nt experience issues with online yet. Gonna have a blast with couch multiplayer too!

My only concern is the kombat pack which is quite pricey for what it offer but i paid 20$ instead of 30 since i preordered the game and i think its worth it for me.
Jason DLC alone justify it for me

Micro transaction is far from being a new thing and the fatality token are totally pointless.

Top Bottom