• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X Day 1 Patch [probably DOESN'T decrease token rate]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think one of the biggest problem people have with microtransaction design in a $60 game is that they forget that there's actually supposed to be a service attached to them.

Let me give two examples.

1.) Successful microtransaction design:

For Mass Effect 3's multiplayer you had to either grind for loot crates or buy them with cash. However, in return, all the game's multiplayer DLC was free, and there were 5 or 6 large updates in total. They also launched a variety of smaller changes as the service went on. In this scenario, the benefit you get for the loot crates existing is obvious, and the consumer can often walk away feeling good about the whole thing.

2.) Unsuccessful microtransaction design:

For Assassin's Creed: Unity, you could also buy loot crates, or buy various unlocks for the world. However, once the game shipped, there was no new free content added. Here, the microtransaction design simply feels like an artificial barrier to content that would have existed anyway, and the consumer walks away feeling bad. Now, a mitigating factor here is that it's incredibly easy to get money in Assassin's Creed: Unity, but if there was a patch that made you get 1/16th the amount of money you normally get, you'd arrive at the situation we see here with Mortal Kombat.

I feel that in this scenario, we're at situation 2, and all it does is make consumers feel bad. The people it impacts the most are those who are the biggest fans of the series as well, as most other users won't care about the krypt or new fatalities, and those generally aren't the best people to go take a piss on.

Not that it matters to the consumer, but my guess is that this is a Warner Bros mandate to Netherrealm. Look at the stunts they pull with Batman (That infamous cover, all the terrible DLC), Shadow of Mordor, Lego Games, etc.

Grade A horseshit. There's no defending this. This is even worse than the Goro preorder bullshit. Really hope they get serious heat for this.

Ugh, I'm still pissed off about that; but this is taking it to a whole new level.

It'd be great if we could get more numbers than those from the Reddit post, too, just to get a better idea of the average percentage of tokens they've reduced per fight/challenge.

Hanmik

Has anyone here done a test to see if this is indeed true.? I mean play the game without the patch and beat a boss twice. See how much money that gives you.. And then install the patch and see if the game gives you the same amount.

Vlade

Not that it matters to the consumer, but my guess is that this is a Warner Bros mandate to Netherrealm. Look at the stunts they pull with Batman (That infamous cover, all the terrible DLC), Shadow of Mordor, Lego Games, etc.
seems possible; didn't EA mandate microtransactions be in games for a while there?
I'm asking, I'm not sure if I recall this correctly.

RM8

I wish I could get a refund :( But it's pretty much impossible on PC.

Instead of taking 5 days of unlocking all that concept art and costumes, it's going to take 7 days

Well...

my friend used to get 2.500 coins on a boss fight now he gets 200 on the same boss fight after the update.

I think your math is failing a bit. Don't let that stop you from defending wallet-grabbing, anti-consumer practices, though.

Gold_Loot

I don't know about you guys, but outraged, I mean OUTRAGED!

I mean shit. Instead of taking 5 days of unlocking all that concept art and costumes, it's going to take 7 days. . Bah fuck this shit!

*goes back to polishing $200 worth of amibos*

ARE YOU SURE?

i did like 7 fights in story mode, 1 or 2 towers and got like 7800 koins

are we debating about some random post from random user without proof?

i mean 7800 koins for little gameplay is fair i think? got 3 fatalities, 2 costumes and some pictures from krypt

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bought the Sub Zero costume and the Season Pass. Give me that Scorpion Kold War costume now!!!

Don't they also give journalist DLC when they review app games? Aren't they given a decent size of currency to review mobile games? Now a days they assume someone needs a guide because the hardcore crowd isn't so hardcore. That's not true, but you'd believe it after watching what happen after Bloodborne.

The journalist doesn't always meet those "typical gamer" standards because not everyone is the same, so doing something like this doesn't sound new to me. That Forbes article on Bloodborne was ridiculous and the game sold over a million copies already. Some want a challenge, while others want it all in front of them. Maybe they thought lowering the amount of Koins made everything unlock faster, aka a stunt when you're pressed for time. Obviously some journalists want to finish the game before they get the review out. That shouldn't necessarily discredit the game.

Edzi

Why not just skip it entirely?

Probably because it's still a great game. I don't think not buying the game is going to send them any kind of message (especially when you consider it's only a small amount of hardcore fans who will know enough about this to get mad), so the best thing to do would probably be to continue making noise so they're forced to address it.

Xater

Whenever microtransactions like these are involved the game design is affected. Thinking otherwise is naive, because if they think their currency system was fair to everyone the microtransactions would not be in in the first place.

Kuno

Do we have any sources on this thing other than the 7-day-old Reddit post the Crave article was referencing? Is the Destructoid article about the author's personal experience, or did he read the Reddit post as well?

"my friend used to get 2.500 coins on a boss fight now he gets 200 on the same boss fight after the update." That's all we know. The game gives you items to add to your profile card that give you bonuses to Koins earned. Maybe the patch in question changed some equipped item this "friend" had. Or maybe the friend changed his profile items around not knowing they affect the koins he earns.

Not to mention, the same person, when asked how he got the game early, said "It came out here early. All stores have it." This was a week ago, mind you. Kind of a weird thing to say.

Well yeah if that is true it's pretty gross. I can't imagine they thought people wouldn't notice. Boon should get on Twitter and say something about this.

KazenY2J

Don't know why developers haven't got that this type of shit is why some people don't even pre-order or buy the game day 1.

Honestly, after seeing the koin reward modifiers based on your profile banner/card(IE +XX Koins), I bet they intended for the 'decrease' to be the standard and fucked up by making the vanilla koin rewards so high so that the 'reviews' wouldn't rate the game based on what we perceive to be decreased koin rewards.

Back to my first point, looking at the koin modifiers you can receive through your card(Icon, banner, trim), they only seem to increase up to 100(+25,+50,+75 koin increase modifiers depending on your 'kombat kard'.), which falls in line with only earning 200 koins post patch and not 2000.

It's shady as fuck.

I find it peculiar that after all the harping on the fact that the dlc characters are not on the disc, there's at least 3 (Tanya, Rain, Baraka) on the disc that are not playable yet..

Hmmmm.......

jond76

Banned
Imagine if I told you you can have this loaf of bread, you paid for it, but you get a slice at a time after a couple hours of work. You could pay for early access to your bread but the 2 hours seems pretty reasonable to you.

now, imagine if i also said, hey, i know you've paid for this loaf of bread, i know i said a couple of hours, but now it's 8 hours of work BUT dont forget that you could buy access to the whole loaf of bread you've already paid for for an additional cost.

If youre hungry and you want that stupid bread, which of the two options is better? Mind you, i don't think they really should make me work for the bread myself but hey nothing is free in this world.

It's no different than BF4 or CoD gun unlock progression, just with the extra step of going shopping in a graveyard.

I could see an issue if characters were locked in the Krypt, but they're not.

As it stands, I just can't get upset about it. Sorry.

Tuffty

So far I only see one person saying this without backup. Is it a case of getting a big reward for the first time beating a boss and then lower payouts on repeat battles? Pretty sure MK9 had something similar?

SMZC

I've playing online in ranked matches for hours and I can barely buy anything with the coins that I got. I realize that you earn them more quickly in story mode, but this is a joke regardless.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I find it peculiar that after all the harping on the fact that the dlc characters are not on the disc, there's at least 3 (Tanya, Rain, Baraka) on the disc that are not playable yet..

Hmmmm.......

MK9 leftovers and Tanya is a composite of Kitana and Scorpion for now. Lots of shitty things about the game son, but that's nothing.

MK9 leftovers and Tanya is a composite of Kitana and Scorpion for now. Lots of shitty things about the game son, but that's nothing.
Until they charge money to unlock them.

And it's not "nothing", its 3 complete characters, 1 of which I want to use.

And please don't "son" me.

I intended to do like I did with MK and Injustice, by waiting for the inevitable GOTY version. I feel even more justified now. By then, the outcry will have made them roll this shit back. Or I'll be playing something else. It's not the only game in town.

mcz117chief

So far I only see one person saying this without backup. Is it a case of getting a big reward for the first time beating a boss and then lower payouts on repeat battles? Pretty sure MK9 had something similar?

It did. Going through the campaign for the first time gave you a krazy amount of koins, but repeated plays gave you very little. I was farming koins by playing on very easy and doing flawless runs with fatalities, those gave a pretty nice amount in a very short time (I go through a whole arcade in under 8 minutes)

bumpkin

Damn... Well this sounds like a punch in the face.

Although, playing devil's advocate, anyone remember what kind of koin rewards matches and the like awarded in MK9? I'm just wondering if maybe the drop in gold rewards and the prices are being blown out of proportion. If it wasn't any worse in MK9, maybe it's not a big deal. It just sucks that it's coming across as an after-the-fact bait-and-switch.

ItIsOkBro

Do we have any sources on this thing other than the 7-day-old Reddit post the Crave article was referencing? Is the Destructoid article about the author's personal experience, or did he read the Reddit post as well?

"my friend used to get 2.500 coins on a boss fight now he gets 200 on the same boss fight after the update." That's all we know. The game gives you items to add to your profile card that give you bonuses to Koins earned. Maybe the patch in question changed some equipped item this "friend" had. Or maybe the friend changed his profile items around not knowing they affect the koins he earns.

Not to mention, the same person, when asked how he got the game early, said "It came out here early. All stores have it." This was a week ago, mind you. Kind of a weird thing to say.

This is why we cause a ruckus until someone answers.

Everyone seems to be citing the reddit post though.

This is why I have no problem waiting an year for the Komplete edition, and when that edition is at $20. Just can't support these practices

Top Bottom