• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X DF Face-Off (PS4/XBO/PC)

HardRojo

I was playing the PS4 version earlier today and while solid 60 fps is nice, 30 fps during X-rays and cutscenes is very distracting. Any reason they couldn't be rendered at 60 fps?

Corine

If you want to be pedantic, sure, you can play a round or two, but you'll crash to desktop sooner or later or error out making it tedious to to play instead of fun. And I haven't seen any PC players play without issues, and I don't know a single person who does.

Weird I watched a guy do 10 online matches in a row last night just fine on the PC version. I've seen plenty of people playing it without issue on twitch.

Momentary

Banned
Based on those shots on DF? Yeah they are!
What did they do, blurry and crushed blackson PC? WTF

I don't know what people are talking about. Here's a PC screenshot.

307780_2015-04-19_00001_zpsdxiuecqs.png~original

Only crushed blacks I've seen are in the cutscenes.

Kezen

Banned

Yup. Blacks aren't crushed outside of cutscenes.

So, the PC does not have anything less than consoles, and can run at higher resolutions than 1080p.
If you have enough grunt this is definitely the best version of the game, much at the dismay of some.

After watching both videos that showed the FPS difference, the Xbox One version actually only has dips when transitioning to x-ray, fatalities and cut scenes and also when you last hit someone to win the round. when doing actual combos it stayed rock solid at 60FPS and never dropped, So during actual game play it's 60FPS so the Xbox One version can be used for tournaments and the players should have no issues at all.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Honest question GAF, should I cancel my PS3 pre-order? If High Voltage managed to fuck-up the PC version this badly, what is left for old gen? The only reason I'm keeping it is the hefty E3 discount from last year, but I rather wait on a sale for the PC version (sub $15) than pay around $47 for a shit port.

Yup. Blacks aren't crushed outside of cutscenes.

So, the PC does not have anything less than consoles, and can run at higher resolutions than 1080p.
If you have enough grunt this is definitely the best version of the game, much at the dismay of some.

I heard the net code is terrible though. So for many it really wouldn't be. Maybe if you have a high end PC and stick to single player.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NX said the drops happen after the fight is over. Does DF specify where this 1 or 2 frame drops happen?
Yeah, right as the fight ends, you can detect a very small frame-time disturbance. Not sure what's causing it but I haven't found it too distracting since it doesn't occur during gameplay and doesn't persist for any length of time. I'm playing on PS4.

Honestly, I just wish they would fixt the pre-rendered cutscene playback. The story mode was a huge draw for me and it really detracts from the presentation. MK9 and Injustice didn't have any issues like this but it looks rather awful during any sort of panning shots.

What struck me was that the iOS game shares some video footage with the console game yet it plays back completely smoothly. Annoying. :\

That looks exactly the same gamma as the PS4 for that stage. Compare the much darker 'Past' version of the same stage and you'll see lots of missing detail in the dark portion on the right. The car rim specifically. Well, you will when you raise the in game brightness.

Muinaiset

Neo Member
I'm not seeing how the PS4 version wins out over the PC version, but the difference isn't as much as it could have been. Locked 30fps xrays and whatnot being the biggest issue. Thankfully it doesn't bother me much.

Top Bottom