• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Downgraded game

Ridley327

MGS4 made me bitter. Kojima talked all kinds of insane shit before release like trees growing in real time and soldiers having emotions... The game looked so much worse than the "gameplay" trailers.
To be fair, NPCs still have emotional states that you can manipulate in the final game. The problem is that there is very little gameplay functionality it provides.

Final Fantasy XIII

LajNHOA.jpg

Isn't the first one pre-rendered and the 2nd one re-done using in-game models?

But the environment hmmm.

Eggbok

I remember reading a preview for Halo 2 saying there would be destructible environments. :(

Dark Souls 2 is my answer but it looks like it "might" be fixed later.

Dark Souls 2 wasn't downgraded.
They were just showing PS4 footage the whole time huehue.

nOoblet16

I'll never understand Killzone 2 apologists. It was CG, they pretended it was gameplay. Does Killzone 2 look good? Yes. It is still a completely misleading, anti consumer practice, regardless. And although it mimics the look of the CG na certain way, it didn't get anywhere close to that level of image quality, lighting and effects, such as the smoke and particles.

No they didn't. I bet you to find me even one instance where they (the developers or sony) claimed it was gameplay.

It was a target render and a target render is suppose to show the vision of the developer with regards to the artstyle, atmosphere and general look they want to achieve....not a goal that they want to achieve in real time graphics because that's impossible.

Steroyd

Alien Colonial Marines?

I saw that the initial gameplay slice had aliens crawling on walls, through vents etc, final game... Was nowhere near that, from what I read/saw.

No they didn't. I bet you to find me even one instance where they (the developers or sony) claimed it was gameplay.

Here ya go buddy: http://youtu.be/nI15BGscFac?t=3m46s

Keighley: "There was Killzone... a lot of people were excited about that. People were wondering though, y'know, was some of this stuff real, was it CGI, it looked so good. I mean, what was the sense from you? Is there some stuff in there that's just, y'know, computer smoke and mirrors?"

Tretton: "It's definitely real. I guess we're pretty good at keeping secrets because the dev kits were out there. The dev kits are very intuitive, so people did some incredible things. And that's one thing Ted wanted to make sure everybody understood, that is real gameplay everybody is seeing out there. And I think --"

Keighley: "So it is gameplay, all that stuff is all gameplay?"

Tretton: "It is gameplay."

bj00rn_

Banned
I'm not sure, but I'm pretty annoyed about what happened with Dark Souls 2.

And what happened to Alien Colonial Marines was just ridiculous. .

Guerrilla

Keighley: "There was Killzone... a lot of people were excited about that. People were wondering though, y'know, was some of this stuff real, was it CGI, it looked so good. I mean, what was the sense from you? Is there some stuff in there that's just, y'know, computer smoke and mirrors?"

Tretton: "It's definitely real. I guess we're pretty good at keeping secrets because the dev kits were out there. The dev kits are very intuitive, so people did some incredible things. And that's one thing Ted wanted to make sure everybody understood, that is real gameplay everybody is seeing out there. And I think --"

funny-oh-burn-gif-Kelso.gif

I remember having discussions about this, and it was definitely deliberate lying and misleading on sonys part. They wanted to push their narrative of the uber powerful ps3 and needed something like that to trump gears.

I mean it's all good now, and it was a long time ago. Still this was super douchey on sonys part...

yurinka

Yeah, from what I've seen of screenshots they do look upgraded. Unfortunate they couldn't optimize it to make it playable.
Well, seems that after 4 patches they fixed many things, it isn't perfect but there has been a great improvement:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdji6gQHp4I

I'd say the game was released unpolished with many bugs to fix and performance issues, that many of them have been fixed (with framerate drops near big crowds and the NPC noticiable pop in as 'big' remaining issues).

But I wouldn't call it downgrade, the visual quality seems to be the same after and before the patches, and when it was released (comparing gameplay vs gameplay, obviously not gameplay vs some CGI they may have released).

Frodo

It was a target render and a target render is suppose to show the vision of the developer with regards to the artstyle, atmosphere and general look they want to achieve....not a goal that they want to achieve in real time graphics because that's impossible.

You bet me, and so here it goes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nI15BGscFac#t=226

What do I win?

THAT IS REAL GAMEPLAY!

watershed

Banned
Fable, Spore, and Grand Slam Tennis for the Wii would be my picks.

All 3 failed to deliver on what they promised, almost to the point of the developers lying to their audience.

mjontrix

w7xtydZ.png

I still haven't gotten over it and I don't think I ever will...

Man if they want to bring back goodwill - they should just do like a director's cut edition of Halo 2 or something - I would assume they still have the original plans lying around somewhere...

nOoblet16

You both win fuck all lol.
I already posted this 2 pages ago. Everyone brings that interview up but he's actually talking about Resistance Fall of Man there mistakenly.
Why do you think he'd say "That's one thing Ted wanted to make sure" if he wasn't talking about Resistance? Ted as in Ted Price.

The question Tretton was asked was "what about the other demos that we were shown" , Killzone 2 was a trailer.
Just because Doritopope is focused on KZ2 and they have the KZ2 trailer playing while the interview is taking place does not mean whatever Tretton is saying is about Killzone. He even specifically clarified that he was talking about Resistance later, and why would he lie only for Phil Harrison to say it was a video target render just days later?

Frodo

I already posted this 2 pages ago. Everyone brings that interview up but he's actually talking about Resistance Fall of Man there mistakenly. He clarified that later and I think he even mentions Ted Price by calling it as "Ted's game" at some point in that interview while Doritopope is talking about Killzone, why would he do that if he wasn't talking about Resistance ? It would not make sense for him to lie and say it was real time when Phil Harrison said it was a video and target render just days later.

Yeah, whatever you want t believe. I can't fathom the thought of Geoff clearly mentioning Killzone 2, and saying that was a lot of confusion about it being gameplay or not and asking "is it gameplay" for Trenton to confuse it with Resitance.

Buuuut... whatever. You asked if they ever said that it was gameplay, and, confused or not, yes, they said it. And plenty of people reported it as such after that.
Regardless, they never reached that.

nOoblet16

Yeah, whatever you want t believe. I can't fathom the thought of Geoff clearly mentioning Killzone 2, and saying that was a lot of confusion about it being gameplay or not and asking "is it gameplay" for Trenton to confuse it with Resitance.

Buuuut... whatever. You asked if they ever said that it was gameplay, and, confused or not, yes, they said it. And plenty of people reported it as such after that.
Regardless, they never reached that.

It's actually me who should say whatever you want to believe.
Just watch the video again..and answer me one question, if he was so clearly lying about Killzone 2 and not confused.

Why would he mention Ted Price ?

Geoff also jumped to conclusion a lot perhaps due to excitement,
Tretton : "it was gameplay" referring to resistance.
Geoff: (before Tretton even finished) "So that was all gameplay ?" - Referring to Killzone 2.
Tretton "Yea it was all gameplay" - thinking he is still talking about Resistance

And Boom...Sony is now tagged a liar.

I was so disappointed that Watch Dogs lost all of its nextgen open world flourishes that I skipped it and refuse to give it a chance.

MGS4 made me bitter. Kojima talked all kinds of insane shit before release like trees growing in real time and soldiers having emotions... The game looked so much worse than the "gameplay" trailers.

That nextgen gameplay.

Frodo

Just watch the video again..and answer me one question, if he was so clearly lying about Killzone 2 and not confused.

Geoff was jumping on him a lot, Tretton said "it was gameplay" referring to resistance. Geoff asked immediately before Tretton even finished "So that was all gameplay ?" Referring to Killzone 2. Tretton answered "Yea it was all gameplay" thinking he is still talking about Resistance. And Boom...Sony is now tagged a liar..

Sony IS a liar, though:

If not because of Kilzone 2, because of Motorstorm. Hell, E3 2005 was a bunch of lies.
http://kotaku.com/5082624/motorstorms-target-render-pissed-us-off-a-lot-say-devs

Guerrilla

Come on man, pack it up.
It's not the customers responsibility to clear up things some ceo might have confused. They could have easily cleared this up after everyone was reporting on trentons words, and guess what, they didn't. Clear misleading and consumer unfriendly practice on sonys part here. I don't know why that is so hard for you to accept?

As I said earlier it was long ago and all is fine now, still we don't have to apologize for their fuckup there. And it def. was a fuckup...

If I had to pick a recent example it would be Dark Souls 2, because not only was it visually downgraded but part of that downgrade greatly affected the planned gameplay for some areas of the game.

Geoff also jumped to conclusion a lot perhaps due to excitement,
Tretton : "it was gameplay" referring to resistance.
Geoff: (before Tretton even finished) "So that was all gameplay ?" - Referring to Killzone 2.
Tretton "Yea it was all gameplay" - thinking he is still talking about Resistance

And Boom...Sony is now tagged a liar.

Geoff explicitly brought up Killzone, and asked about all the stuff they showed, and then asked again "it's all gameplay?" and Tretton doubled-down.

Bringing up Ted was Jack just recalling one thing Ted Price wanted known, but it didn't contradict his statement that everything was gameplay.

He was being fast and loose with the facts and knew he was. The reason I typed out the whole conversation was because Geoff made it clear he was asking about Killzine and asked if there was any CGI and Tretton denied it outright.

My vote: The original Mass Effect

E3 2006 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SvHHO5ksNg
(check out the lighting at the bar. better than even the pc version that was released years later)

Walkthrough trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgBYXH9HNdg

Then it gets released and it looks quite a bit different

Gamespot review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPnxfG2nYys
noticed how the lighting has changed significantly, stuff like the dust effects and the quality of the driving parts are completely different.

Killzone 2.

Easy.

Yeah Sony flat out lied multiple times and said it was gameplay. There were people coming out saying they worked on the cg movie and Sony stuck to their story that it was game play. I might be wrong but I believe they even went so far to say eventually that it was game play but it was enhanced since it was running on alpha hardware to look like what the release was going to look like.

IRSlirT.jpg

What happened to this version of the game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_DSfjAdhlU

Looking at it now, its clear that even the movement was off. However I think while the game play and some level of details are off, artistically the shipped game looks better than that target render.

You both win fuck all lol.
I already posted this 2 pages ago. Everyone brings that interview up but he's actually talking about Resistance Fall of Man there mistakenly.
Why do you think he'd say "That's one thing Ted wanted to make sure" if he wasn't talking about Resistance? Ted as in Ted Price.

The question Tretton was asked was "what about the other demos that we were shown" , Killzone 2 was a trailer.
Just because Doritopope is focused on KZ2 and they have the KZ2 trailer playing while the interview is taking place does not mean whatever Tretton is saying is about Killzone. He even specifically clarified that he was talking about Resistance later, and why would he lie only for Phil Harrison to say it was a video target render just days later?

Sorry, but I think they're right. They're talking about Killzone 2, Geoff mentions that game and also Tretton mentions that game. He says 'Ted' but nowhere else is there any indication they were talking about anything other than KZ2.

Oemenia

Banned
Dark Souls 2, obviously.

When you have game developers coming on GAF and telling people that the original version wasn't even feasible on 7th gen hardware, you know you have a problem. This isn't even getting into the fact that it resulted in a completely retooled game with mechanics and (at launch) bosses that don't even work anymore on any sort of functioning level, and the game ran at what, like 25 FPS avg on PS3?

Of course that didn't stop the press from totally ignoring it (Giantbomb: "Get over it nerds, one cares") and from some of GAF's finest from trying to sweep it under the rug at the time because of who made it. If Ubi or EA had done something as awful as what Namco and Fromsoft did with DS2 there would probably be lawsuits filed over it, and no, Watch_Dogs doesn't even come close to the blatant level of false advertising Namco boned consumers with on Dark Souls 2. I mean people didn't even know what the game really looked like until they purchased it ffs! We knew about Watch_Dogs what, a month or two before launch?
Double standards are nothing new here.
Isn't the first one pre-rendered and the 2nd one re-done using in-game models?

But the environment hmmm.
It's all about the principle bro, betrayal is the ultimate downgrade.

SOME-MIST

Came to post alan wake and the original bioshock which both had way bigger scopes and ideas than the streamlined linear experiences we got :/

Top Bottom