• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most Downgraded game

Kezen

Banned
Watch Dogs in the most recent springing to mind. The downgrade is colossal, the game looked great back in 2012/early 2013. The final game is not ugly by open world standards but nothing to write home about either.

Wounded

Assassin's Creed Unity was not downgraded. Players have taken screenshots that look better than the screenshots that Ubi used for advertising.

AC games have never been downgraded, for better or worse.

While I agree for the most part, AC games do have some bullshots going on:

u7oLqWX.jpg

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
To me as en end-customer... that's one and the same. A huge downgrade.
But you said that there were reports of them hitting 1080p, there is no such report because they did not say tat they were hitting it. The dev said that he was unsure.
While I agree for the most part, AC games do have some bullshots going on:

u7oLqWX.jpg
Like all ubi games they use photoshop to "enhance" the screenshots, sometimes it actually looks worse than the final game. But as long as the final game visually looks like the gameplay videos that are shown it's all good in my book. They also seem to have a habit of posting screenshots of older versions of cutscenes. Elise's hair looks like string in one of the screenshots from Ubi compared to how it looks in the final game.

Yasae

Banned
To me as en end-customer... that's one and the same. A huge downgrade.
Considering those are performance targets subject to change, it's not factually one and the same whatsoever. Really AC:Unity is one the least downgraded games in recent memory. They cheated a bit in screens and the final performance is unfortunate, but it's not in the same universe as Watch_Dogs.

rrLTouo.gif

Ain't no defendin' this.

Dark Souls 2, obviously.

Of course that didn't stop the press from totally ignoring it (Giantbomb: "Get over it nerds, one cares") and from some of GAF's finest from trying to sweep it under the rug at the time because of who made it. If Ubi or EA had done something as awful as what Namco and Fromsoft did with DS2 there would probably be lawsuits filed over it, and no, Watch_Dogs doesn't even come close to the blatant level of false advertising Namco boned consumers with on Dark Souls 2. I mean people didn't even know what the game really looked like until they purchased it ffs! We knew about Watch_Dogs what, a month or two before launch?

Dont forget Vaati misleaded his viewers to buy the game even when some of them showed concernt about the game downgrade and some of the game mechanics

Praying for the PS4 edition.

I have some bad news for you (and the pc owners)

Watch dogs and aliens colonial marines are the most public. Watch dogs was nothing like what was promised from the initial reveal. More to the point whats going to be downgraded in next years titles, witcher 3 and the division anyone

caleb1915

I've no idea if this is supposed to be good or bad, but either way it's a poor representation of the game as it only looks like this (no HUD, heavy DOF) for a split second after you press the phone button but before the phone interface appears. 99.999% of the time the game doesn't look like this.

you can turn off the HUD elements in the options menu I believe.

Blinck

Assassin's Creed Unity was not downgraded. Players have taken screenshots that look better than the screenshots that Ubi used for advertising.
15855086650_2894e876d4_o.jpg

AC games have never been downgraded, for better or worse.

That screenshot is an awful example. It's probably not taken at a playable framerate, and if it is, it's only playable for 1% of the PC player base.

The game was downgraded for sure. On the videos they showed you couldn't see the awful amount of pop-in that you see now. You also didn't see the awful LOD that you notice in the final version. You also didn't notice the awful framerate that it runs at now on consoles. The first gameplay video also had a lot more details on the streets than what you see now.

Posting a heavily downsampled screenshot is an absolutely awful way to say that it wasn't downgraded.

The 90% blurred screenshot of Watch Dogs running around is even worse, though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That screenshot is an awful example. It's probably not taken at a playable framerate, and if it is, it's only playable for 1% of the PC player base.

The game was downgraded for sure. On the videos they showed you couldn't see the awful amount of pop-in that you see now. You also didn't see the awful LOD that you notice in the final version. You also didn't notice the awful framerate that it runs at now on consoles. The first gameplay video also had a lot more details on the streets than what you see now.

Posting a heavily downsampled screenshot is an absolutely awful way to say that it wasn't downgraded.

Eh, add a slight bit of aliasing and that's what the game looked like for me. The LOD pop-in can certainly be an issue in the game, but when Unity looks good, it looks better than anything else on the market, in my opinion.

Blinck

Eh, add a slight bit of aliasing and that's what the game looked like for me. The LOD pop-in can certainly be an issue in the game, but when Unity looks good, it looks better than anything else on the market, in my opinion.

I agree that it looks absolutely great.
But it's still a downgrade from what they first showed, specially on consoles.

Mind you, I don't think it's one of the biggest downgrades in gaming, not even close. Something like Dark Souls 2 is a lot worse, much more extreme, and a very big deceit from a visual standpoint.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
On the topic of the MGS4 downgrade, two reputable members of the MGS community got to talk with Konami staff about what happened between the TGS version and the final retail build. They divulge a bunch of details here: http://thesnakesoup.org/forums/Thread-Was-MGS4-a-trolljob?pid=256046#pid256046

In short, the TGS build was developed on PS3 dev kits lacking final specifications. The final retail PS3 kits couldn't handle the amount of content they created at the time. Whole character models had to be discarded, areas were trimmed down or cut entirely, reduced texture quality, etc. The entirety of MGS4 had to be redone to fit retail PS3 specifications.

It's a real shame.

AOQVPuX.jpg

MGS4 has always gotten a huge pass, and people go to such insane, ridiculous lengths to defend or be blind to the downgrade. Nevermind that its original showing was a perfect 60fps as well. It was just bullshit.
People give downgrades like the mgs4 one a pass because when they come out, they still look better than almost anything on the platform at their time of release. Same goes for Infinite, which didn't really look graphically downgraded so much as the scope of their design was tighten. Plus, in both of those cases the downgrades appeared gradually before the final game shipped, so it wasn't as sudden as some other examples shown in this thread, like ds2.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

You actually can see glitches in the crowds during the e3 demos. And way more in the gamescom demo because it was from the actual game and not a vertical slice demo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF9bO-tPxKE

Also the framerate is much better now than it was at release after Patch 4.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdji6gQHp4I#t=254

And no, the puddles and tessellated streets are still in the final game. Both of the e3 demos were played on pcs. And so was the gamescom demo. The first time they showed console footage was in the broll footage that they gave to the press. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32NLNaz6R_c
^ The console version looks exactly like this.

EDIT:Took screenshots, ignoring the jpg compression the detail is clearly still there in the streets. PS4.
fhcwco.jpg

gowpct.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
AOQVPuX.jpg

MGS4 has always gotten a huge pass, and people go to such insane, ridiculous lengths to defend or be blind to the downgrade. Nevermind that its original showing was a perfect 60fps as well. It was just bullshit.

The one with the grey filter is the downgraded version, right? It appears to be missing a lot in the lighting/shadowing area in particularly, but I think I actually prefer how it looks. Maybe piss filters just bother me.

Could you provide any examples of these more detailed streets?
Just because 1% (some arbitrary number pulled from your ass) of the player base can play the game like it was originally shown, doesn't mean it was downgraded... You can play the game like that.

PoP: The Two Thrones. I'm on mobile at the minute but if you Google the reveal trailer versus the release you'll catch a glimpse of what was meant to be a pre AC open world romp.

More info

What's going on in this thread? The one true answer is Spore.

Exactly!

I think this video is nice, but doesn't do the downgrade in the creature stage alone justice.

The cell stage was cut short, the water stage was cut entirely, the creature stage you can sort of see, the tribal stage is an embarrassing skeleton of what was promised, the same applies to the civilization stage, and the space stage is just entirely different from what was promised and just *felt* weird.

Things became grindy and objective oriented rather than emergent, and all in all i just feel rather disappointed with the result when comparing it to the product that was promised.

pa22word

Eh, I give all the early PS3 games a pass tbqh because of how nvidia boned Sony on the gpu. It's not really Kojima's fault Sony had to scrap the original specs of the final PS3 and down clock it at the last min, forcing Devs to redo their entire game in order to meet the new specs.

What's going on in this thread? The one true answer is Spore.

That still stings, mate. :\
Also any game Peter Molyneux gets his hands on. I remember how the seasons were supposed to change and stuff in Fable. You were supposed to have children and pass your traits on and keep playing, etc. What a crock. I believed it, too, but I was pretty young and though anything was possible after playing Morrowind.

Last gen, I'd have to say Watchdogs takes the cake, followed by Dark Souls 2 lighting.

Blinck

Could you provide any examples of these more detailed streets?
Just because 1% (some arbitrary number pulled from your ass) of the player base can play the game like it was originally shown, doesn't mean it was downgraded... You can play the game like that.

Really? So they advertise the game mostly for the consoles, show their demos at the Microsoft conference which is basically Xbox only. Talk mostly about the consoles versions in interviews and have bundles for the consoles with the game advertised on TV. We all know that ubisoft profit comes from consoles and that's their focus audience.

The game comes out, and only 1%,( acutally fuck it, let's make it 20%, it's still the same thing) of the PC population is able to play the game looking like that screenshot - everyone else plays a downgraded version.

You still think it wasn't downgraded?

So if they presented a game with insane graphics that when it comes out is only playable like that if you have a cluster of 5 mega computers you still think it wasn't downgraded just because it is actually possible to play it with a setup like that?

That's stupid logic. That's the kind of logic that the Ubisoft PR would use to mask the downgrades.

Interviewer: "Hey, everyone playing the game is noticing a downgrade from the first presentation that you showed.. the game is blurrier, has lots of pop-in, horrible performance and awful LOD. People are feeling cheated...what do you have to say about that?"
Ubisoft PR: "Actually, if you have a top end rig with 2 980GTX in SLI and a CPU overclocked to hell and back, the game actually runs like you saw in that presentation. So no we didn't cheat and I don't know what you are talking about"
Interviewer. "But the console version that you showed previously at the xbox e3 conference...."
Ubisoft: "Sorry, we're out of time, bye bye!"

It's absolutely bullshit logic and you know it - stop defending this sort of shit.

The game didn't look nor run as first advertised. End of story. Downgrade.

In regards to the streets, I didn't mean the puddles or the tesselation. In the first non-coop demo they showed I remember there being a lot more details on the streets like papers, leaves, little volumetric fog. Just a shit ton of details all around. I'll try to find the video.

In the screenshots above it's basically just mud, puddles and bricks.

_machine

The game comes out, and only 1%,( acutally fuck it, let's make it 20%, it's still the same thing) of the PC population is able to play the game looking like that screenshot - everyone else plays a downgraded version.
That means that you can play the game as it's been shown and thus has not been downgraded. Console versions by nature are downgraded from what you can get on the PC and as long as you don't clearly mark PC footage as supposed to be from the console version you're completely within your rights to show PC footage whatever the situation. It doesn't matter what percentage of the user base can play as it's originally shown as long as it can be played like that somehow.

MissChief

I can't find the original sprites. But Street Fighter 2 HD Remix had massive sprites downgrade. The finished product looked nothing like the original reveal images.

Blinck

That means that you can play the game as it's been shown and thus has not been downgraded. Console versions by nature are downgraded from what you can get on the PC and as long as you don't clearly mark PC footage as supposed to be from the console version you're completely within your rights to show PC footage whatever the situation. It doesn't matter what percentage of the user base can play as it's originally shown as long as it can be played like that somehow.

So if you need a cluster of 10 computers running linux with 3 SLI's 980GTX each, it's still not a downgrade..right?

What a joke =\

_machine

So if you need a cluster of 10 computers running linux with 3 SLI's 980GTX each, it's still not a downgrade..right?

What a joke =\
First of all you don't need that, just a top of the line computer, and second of all yes it's not a downgrade if the game run on a computer like that and then you can run an almost identical result with the same computer means, that it was not downgraded, it's still the same thing. What you're asking is that developers don't show their products in the best possible light, which honestly is ridiculous and against basic marketing. They're simply showing the game at it's best and result can still be achieved.

AOQVPuX.jpg

can we put to rest the idea that the mgs4 trailer from tgs 2005 was a perfect 60 fps? somewhere along the line people confused one later encode of this trailer for its original showing, but only that later encode is the lie, and it didn't show up until it was bundled as a "remastered trailer" months later with the limited edition of mgs3: subsistence. by that time kojima productions was openly "targeting" 60 fps for mgs4, so it made sense for them to release a version of that original teaser that was also 60 fps, giving fans a glimpse of what a 60 fps mgs4 might look like. but however they did this - by running the original capture through frame interpolating software, by doing a wholesale offline render or by brute forcing it on even higher spec machines (the latter seems unlikely but possible) - it's not actually the trailer they showed at tgs 2005. that's why it was a "remastered trailer," even though it was a mere 480p DVD quality version of it.

how do i know it's not the same trailer? because i have the original file kikizio first hosted back in 2005 and it's the same 30 fps it always was, all 361mb of it. here it is if you want to take a look for yourself: http://www.mediafire.com/watch/boe6z21xdevzj9m/MGS4_HD.wmv

sure that trailer ended up being a lie anyway, but an accidental one based on the fluctuating specs of the ps3, not the deliberate lie "perfect 60 fps" would seem to bear out.

Top Bottom