• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Most" Lives Matter - Full Frontal with Samantha Bee

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty telling that there are so many people who are willing to keep hoisting this flag.

Your suggestion is not reasonable. This is not about being too stupid to understand the message, nor is it about convincing people or winning allies to the cause.

The most important thing to note is that it was All Lives Matter nutjobs who shit on BLM as a name. Whatever BLM changes its name to would undoubtedly be shit on repeatedly until that well is also poisoned. It has never been about the name. There would be a point if the movement was call Kill All Crackers or something viscerally violent, but that's not the case.

Just note how many people happily pretend there's an "only" at the beginning so that it becomes "Only Black Lives Matter". They're not shy at all about perverting the name to suit their narrative. Changing the name to anything else would not change the circumstances because they would twist that name to whatever they want too.

The most important thing to note is that it was All Lives Matter nutjobs who shit on BLM as a name. Whatever BLM changes its name to would undoubtedly be shit on repeatedly until that well is also poisoned. It has never been about the name. There would be a point if the movement was call Kill All Crackers or something viscerally violent, but that's not the case.

Just note how many people happily pretend there's an "only" at the beginning so that it becomes "Only Black Lives Matter". They're not shy at all about perverting the name to suit their narrative. Changing the name to anything else would not change the circumstances because they would twist that name to whatever they want too.

Correct.

As I've said here on multiple occasions, black people are not allowed to have agency. The name isn't the issue. It's about black people coming together as a group and telling the white supremacist system they've had enough, and doing things to inconvenience that system.

Do I think everyone who opposes BLM is a card carrying Klan member? No. But I do think that in the age of information where we live now, willful ignorance and a refusal to change one's worldview is still damaging, and I don't give people a pass on that.

No, BLM doesn't need to change the name.

No, BLM doesn't need to educate people.

No, the oppressed doesn't need to bend over backwards for it's oppressor.

People need to stop suggesting these things.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Black Lives Matter is basically a racist Rorschach test.

People either see the word 'only' in front of it, or the implicit "too" at the end.
You know what sick and tired of? That shitshow breast cancer getting all the glory! Everywhere I look it's pink ribbons here and Susan G Komen there telling everyone how we need to band together and eliminate breast cancer. It's ridiculous and it needs stopped.

ALL CANCERS MATTER!!! People die of other cancers every single day but their plight goes unspoken for and it has to stop! Lymphoma matters! Hodgkin's matters! They ALL matter!

I urge everyone to start protesting the ones taking up Breast Cancer as their cause. I've even seen GROWN MEN trying to raise breast cancer awareness! The fuck? They should be proactive for cancers that effect them more, because it's not right that they fight for the wrong cause.

Bunch of scummy breast cancer advocates taking away from everyone else. The nerve.
Winner posts, y'all.

I would often use "so fighting violence against women doesn't mean you think violence against men doesn't matter, anymore than supporting BLM means "ONLY black lives matter", but the cancer analogy is even better I think.

neoanarch

The for "every valedictorian" line. Like you're a worthless piece of shit of you're not an overachiever. Even the way he said valedictorian like we dirtied the word somehow.

PopeReal

Why should BLM change their name? They're not the ones that suck.

Because.....

"They need to convince us why they should not be targeted and killed."

All we are asking is to present us a nice clean argument wrapped up in a bow with cherries and whip cream on top. But do it quietly and when we are ready.

Man, this show seems better and better with every video. Seems like a combo of Daily Show and Colbert. I need to start watching.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
People who object to Black Lives Matter understand Blue Lives Matter perfectly. The name is not the problem and never has been.
I don't think that's quite accurate. Regardless of whether they understand what Black Lives Matter is supposed to mean, to many of them their rebuttal is implicitly Blue Lives Matter More. It's that police should not be questioned in their actions against civilians, especially minorities. Just look at the people at the RNC who applauded that Baltimore cop being acquitted. These aren't people trying to preach real equality.

But you're correct, the name is not the problem. It's a refusal to understand or even attempt empathy.

sk3

Banned
When you frame BLM as "Black Lives Matter TOO" I think most people understand its purpose.

Yes that is the point, but in the world of soundbites, people will read "Black Lives Matter" and draw some shitty "Only Black Lives Matter" conclusion. You can't give people any ounce of wiggle room in misunderstanding.

I wish the name wasn't just BLM. It would be much harder to argue against and make their vision clear.

Nabs

When you frame BLM as "Black Lives Matter TOO" I think most people understand its purpose.

Yes that is the point, but in the world of soundbites, people will read "Black Lives Matter" and draw some shitty "Only Black Lives Matter" conclusion. You can't give people any ounce of wiggle room in misunderstanding.

I wish the name wasn't just BLM. It would be much harder to argue against and make their vision clear.

Did you watch the video? These people don't care. They flip out the second you utter the word Black.

Quonny

You know what sick and tired of? That shitshow breast cancer getting all the glory! Everywhere I look it's pink ribbons here and Susan G Komen there telling everyone how we need to band together and eliminate breast cancer. It's ridiculous and it needs stopped.

ALL CANCERS MATTER!!! People die of other cancers every single day but their plight goes unspoken for and it has to stop! Lymphoma matters! Hodgkin's matters! They ALL matter!

I urge everyone to start protesting the ones taking up Breast Cancer as their cause. I've even seen GROWN MEN trying to raise breast cancer awareness! The fuck? They should be proactive for cancers that effect them more, because it's not right that they fight for the wrong cause.

Bunch of scummy breast cancer advocates taking away from everyone else. The nerve.

Finally, some common sense on this forum.

They understand it because they're white people who have never not been the center of the universe. "Too" centers the expression around white people as the default. Fuck that.

I know two local groups who don't go by "Black Lives Matter." Do you think they get any further with the city about these issues?

sk3

Banned
Did you watch the video? These people don't care. They flip out the second you utter the word Black.
I did, and saw one guy specifically mention "only black lives matter".

When most people get shitty slanted news store from their buddies on facebook - its easy for people (grandma, billy bob, whatever) to see a protest and the BLM name and resort to their own preconceived notions. The fact that BLM needs to exist is because of this prejudice across the country. I think they would be more effective if they got in front of this and were more effective in their messaging - specifically targeting people like that.

...because for whatever reason it seems like police departments and government are rife with these assholes that assume the worst.

I don't think its a question BLM could be better at messaging, is it?

I don't think its a question BLM could be better at messaging, is it?
Like what?

You have a default assumption that white America would be receptive to black issues if it weren't for the way black people said it. This has never, ever been true, as proven 1000000x over. They're black people, the conversation is already over the moment the words "black" and "people" appeared together anywhere.

sk3

Banned
Like what?

You have a default assumption that white America would be receptive to black issues if it weren't for the way black people said it. This has never, ever been true, as proven 1000000x over. They're black people, the conversation is already over the moment the words "black" and "people" appeared together anywhere.

Who are you even talking about? "White america" runs the DNC, and it seems the left is plenty receptive to these concerns.

My point is you can't give "the other side" an inch of wiggle room so they can demonize you. Fox News exists entirely in this grey area. Sure they can always sling shit, but there is plenty you can do to minimize that. You gotta be perfect. It's unfortunate but thats reality when you push against the establishment.

Who are you even talking about? "White america" runs the DNC, and it seems the left is plenty receptive to these concerns.

My point is you can't give "the other side" an inch of wiggle room so they can demonize you. Fox News exists entirely in this grey area. Sure they can always sling shit, but there is plenty you can do to minimize that. You gotta be perfect. It's unfortunate but thats reality when you push against the establishment.
What's "receptive to these concerns"? Quantify it.

I referred to a black guy as "man" a the end of my sentence,

It went down like this...

"Thank you man"

He was kinda take a back, and he replied

"No problem...maaan"

I feel a bit shitty about it GAF, shoudl I?

I'm kinda West Asia lookin dude.

I liked the end. You can really see the fears and anxieties these people have. It makes you feel pity for them, they're just scared and ignorant and cowardly.

"Thank you man"

"No problem...maaan"

Nah, you're good. Man is one of those chill things to call someone, like bro or dude. It's not like you called him pal or chief. Guy sounds like a weirdo.

The Kree

Banned

"Thank you man"

"No problem...maaan"

Use sir or ma'am next time. That's safe and respectful. If they're sensitive about their age, they might say "Oh no, please don't call me sir/ma'am, it makes me feel old!" and they'll give you their name instead. You give yours back. Boom, you just made a new acquaintance.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I think the key take-away of this video is that there is a subset of the conservative party that are generally good, but ignorant people. I don't mean ignorant in a derogatory sense either. I mean that their whole lives, they've listened to talk radio and watched Fox News for source of "truth".

More and more in recent years, I see progressives (and I'm not innocent of this) berating the opposition for their faulty views. This just puts them on the defensive; they have no reason to believe that Hannity or Bill O'Reilly is lying to them, so they must be under attack by the crazy overly PC liberals. Sometimes, all it takes is a few patient individuals who are willing to start a conversation. Yes, there will be people who won't be swayed. Yes, there will be people who revel in their own bigotry. That doesn't mean we should forsake the misled and the misinformed.

If there is any way for the Democrats to lose the election, this is it. Don't dogpile the diehard Bernie fans. Don't shout down anyone choosing to vote for Trump. Don't dismiss the Green Party voters. Sit down and have a dialogue. I will be doing my best to do so. I hope some of you will too.

A youtube comment put it best for once:

"...forcing them to think critically about what they were about to say."
You know, "political correctness."

I think the key take-away of this video is that there is a subset of the conservative party that are generally good, but ignorant people. I don't mean ignorant in a derogatory sense either. I mean that their whole lives, they've listened to talk radio and watched Fox News for source of "truth".

More and more in recent years, I see progressives (and I'm not innocent of this) berating the opposition for their faulty views. This just puts them on the defensive; they have no reason to believe that Hannity or Bill O'Reilly is lying to them, so they must be under attack by the crazy overly PC liberals. Sometimes, all it takes is a few patient individuals who are willing to start a conversation. Yes, there will be people who won't be swayed. Yes, there will be people who revel in their own bigotry. That doesn't mean we should forsake the misled and the misinformed.

If there is any way for the Democrats to lose the election, this is it. Don't dogpile the diehard Bernie fans. Don't shout down anyone choosing to vote for Trump. Don't dismiss the Green Party voters. Sit down and have a dialogue. I will be doing my best to do so. I hope some of you will too.
I don't think those Bernie Booer weirdos have anything in comparison with the kind-hearted-but-ignorant-and-scared people. They still continued to boo and hiss and chant unrelated nonsense when Bernie himself tried to have a dialogue.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I don't think those Bernie Booer weirdos have anything in comparison with the kind-hearted-but-ignorant-and-scared people. They still continued to boo and hiss and chant unrelated nonsense when Bernie himself tried to have a dialogue.
These people are bitter. They were coaxed into believing they could start a revolution playing by the system's rules, and they feel lied to despite the Bernie movement causing real change within the Democratic party. They're throwing tantrums. I'm unwilling to write them off just for that. But that's me. Everyone has their own tolerance for this. I'm just hoping more people will be willing to engage, rather than disengage.

Black Lives Matter is basically a racist Rorschach test.

People either see the word 'only' in front of it, or the implicit "too" at the end.

I like this.

Was thinking of sharing this on Facebook. Instantly wondered if some readers (OK, my mom, who I am terrified will vote for Voldemort) would interpret your use of "racist" as describing BLM rather than your intended meaning of a Rorschach test to uncover racists. -___-

I fell like I took a different thing back from what a lot of people did this video.

Undoubtedly, there was a lot of ignorance on point here, but I was impressed that several of the people actually seemed open to learning about the movement, and were open about the fact that they knew, as Bee put it, "fuck all" about what BLM even was. Even the super weirdo with that hat, Hilary for Prison pin, and utterly huge Trump/Penance button seemed open to it. I guess the cynic can say they were just being PC or whatever, but I don't know, they seemed genuine, especially when you compare it to the other motherfuckers who were just like, 'No, I don't want to learn anything about them, I know it all already.' It might just be a shimmer in the sand, but at least it was something.

hwalker84

I'm about to steal this for my Facebook

Lime

with Black Lives Matter speech during the DNC, this is what Fox News did:

Brian Lowry ‏@blowryontv 20m
Fox News only cable network not covering Black Lives Matter presentation live. O'Reilly interviewing Karl Rove, goes to commercial.

and

Well they did tweet:
Fox News ‏@FoxNews 8m
@SheriffClarke: "The DNC theme tonight is 'compassion for criminals.'" #DemsInPhilly

Cyrano

As expected. May this be spread across social media so folks can see them for the shitstains they are..
They're way grosser than that.
What's wrong with compassion for people who may or may not have broken the law?

o_O there's punishment but there's also mercy and grace. Jesus Christ himself literally said this in the Bible like 1000000x times.
I'm sure they don't let a silly thing like the Bible get in the way of them treating everyone who isn't them like shit.

In spite of the fact that pretty much all of them never shut up about how important it is.

"no comment"
giphy.gif

"BLM is a terrorist group"

"Do you know what BLM wants?"

"No"

paraphrasing but lol wtf?

Like what's wrong with doing a little bit of critical thinking?

Hauling 75 pounds of marijuana across the desert seems like some sort of cruel and unusual punishment. It'd essentially look like a giant bag of weed holding a 134 pound man?

Sidepot aside these people are pretty terrible.

reKon

Banned

This is a superior version of something I read. This will be inspiration for a future facebook post I make. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom