• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most played Xbox One games (Week 51, 2016) for US and UK

SURGEdude

I wish we have absolute numbers or at least a range. Certain games surprise me in both directions but I'm not confident enough of what ranking implies to stick my neck out.

Fotos

It came out last November and is competing against a packed shooter market a year after release. Your comment seems ignorant at best, especially since it's ahead of Titanfall 2 lol
Rainbow Six Siege says hi.

The hatred for Halo is real. H5 isnt the best game ever, but its a good game. I dont understand why appearing at the lower end of this list would fill someone with glee.

Because people who enjoyed classic Halo are being shunned by the newer games attempt at being "Modern".

Game shipped with a lack of features that were in previous games but put in microtransactions which they have since persuaded people to believe caused all the content updates and saved the game. It does fill me with glee knowing that a game that supports anti-consumer practices is not as high on that list as previous Halo's.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
I played Halo 5 from launch till about a month ago and the population was always very active in the main mode I played, BTB, no matter what time of day. I've since started playing BF1 but the chart looks about in line with what I see on XBL.

It's still pretty surprising to see GTAV at #1 though. I really don't get what people see in it's multiplayer mode but whatever floats your boat.

Trup1aya

I always thought that Locke and his teams inclusion, was for the inevitable Destiny clone spin off.

Anyway Halo and 343. I love halo, it's what keeps me on Xbox. But let's face it, the game is fucking hardcore and totally unforgiving. Thus, not for everyone and certainly not for people that want to camp and stuff.

Then you have 343.... The beta was awesome, then they released it with the aiming fucked for whatever reason??? Then they tell us that they will let us choose the region where we play. Another fucking lie. Don't they get it that they might just have a chance at retaining a player base outside of the US if they let us choose?? Instead of using us as fodder? Their stewardship is highly questionable, even though for me gameplay wise, halo 5 is fucking amazing.

For the lack of a region selector in halo 5, I would like to say how very pleased I am to see it sitting below the division in the uk charts. I just hope that you lot (343) give yourselves that very much needed shake before releasing halo 6. Sometimes you are your own worst enemy.

When you look at various leaks it appears that halo 5 was supposed to be a hub-style shooter, similar to mass effect, but with a co-op focus like destiny.

Somewhere along the line they must have hit some serious snags, which lead to a lot bring left on the cutting room floor... this sort of explains the patchy narrative.

I think the next halo will probably be destiny clone-ish if i had to guess

Gwyn

Rainbow Six Siege says hi.

Because people who enjoyed classic Halo are being shunned by the newer games attempt at being "Modern".

Game shipped with a lack of features that were in previous games but put in microtransactions which they have since persuaded people to believe caused all the content updates and saved the game. It does fill me with glee knowing that a game that supports anti-consumer practices is not as high on that list as previous Halo's.

Bungie started it with halo reach...

Do you really believe that if halo (reach,4,5) had kept that "classic playstyle" halo(Rech,4,5) would still have the same numbers as halo 3? If you think so you are delusional.

Halo would have declined anyway maybe not as much as it did but the main reason people left is not spartan abilities or lack of forge/btb

blakep267

Rainbow Six Siege says hi
Rainbow six was relatively dead but it had a resurgence when they had the free weekend in the spring. Ever since then it's been highly played. But let's not act like it continually was up there. It wasn't

Just like how Battlefront got a big boost with Rogue one and some nicely times sales

When you look at various leaks it appears that halo 5 was supposed to be a hub-style shooter, similar to mass effect, but with a co-op focus like destiny.

Somewhere along the line they must have hit some serious snags, which lead to a lot bring left on the cutting room floor... this sort of explains the patchy narrative.

I think the next halo will probably be destiny clone-ish if i had to guess

I really doubt it. I definitely think they're going to go back to the hub concept, introduce player choice into mission order, probably squad composition as well, but nothing like Destiny.

Shhhh, you'll rile up the Halo 5 defense force.

I'm in agreement however; shipping with a lack of modes, playlists, forge features, etc did not endear the game to me. The microtransactions system was a baffling choice to implement (and managed to screw up firefight when it was first released). The gunplay is...wonky to me. People talking like the gameplay is better than ever, well that's fine if you feel that way but I'd rather play Titanfall 2.

And don't even get me started on the shit-storm that was the SP campaign. A visually impressive, convoluted, thoroughly mediocre affair that managed to kill what little interest I had left in the story.

Halo 5 is an overall disappointment to myself and many other Halo fans, so it isn't surprising to see it lower on the charts. If people like it that's fine but 343 has done nothing to make me excited for the future of the franchise.

Fotos

Bungie started it with halo reach...

Do you really believe that if halo (reach,4,5) had kept that "classic playstyle" halo(Rech,4,5) would still have the same numbers as halo 3? If you think so you are delusional.

Halo would have declined anyway maybe not as much as it did but the main reason people left is more than spartan abilities or lack of forge/btb

I do but It might be too late now though. I don't know how I'm delusional. A fuck ton of people bought Halo 4 at launch expecting a real Halo game. They didn't get it so they left. Just look at the population number chart that's been posted on Neogaf multiple times. Insane drops after launch.

If you had a game that was completely original and one of a kind why would you go out of your way to make it just like every other game? But we will never know what it could have been because they changed the gameplay when the game hit its peak in 3. You're making assumptions and calling me delusional.

Gwyn

I do but It might be too late now though. I don't know how I'm delusional. A fuck ton of people bought Halo 4 at launch expecting a real Halo game. They didn't get it so they left. Just look at the population number chart that's been posted on Neogaf multiple times. Insane drops after launch.

If you had a game that was completely original and one of a kind why would you go out of your way to make it just like every other game? But we will never know what it could have been because they changed the gameplay when the game hit its peak in 3. You're making assumptions and calling me delusional.

Sorry about calling you out didn't mean to offend

The only game(FPS) that kept the classic playstyle and has high population is CSGO and that's on PC correct me if i am wrong here
That's a different market (pc has more hardcore/skilled players than consoles)

Most games on that list are either new or have changed(gameplay wise/minor tweaks) over the ages so how do you expect a game with the same playstyle over 8 years ago to top charts? People like new stuff

Few reasons that i believe why halo declined:
1.destiny, overwatch, bf1 etc is where most casual halo or FPS fans in general went or they quit gaming altogether who knows
2.Dumb ass changes in halo reach and then followed by h4
3.console exclusive on the least popular system
4.halo isn't really casual friendly, almost every time i play i see people with 2 kills 15 deaths on casual playlists and that's not really fun for them i guess so they moved on
5.People got tired/bored of halo...yep it's that simple

Edit:
Forgot to add that 343i made some huge mistakes with h5 realease and dlc updates.
Aiming, lack of btb dev maps and game modes, the free DLC maps for arena are bad...

Fotos

Sorry about calling you out didn't mean to offend

The only game(FPS) that kept the classic playstyle and has high population is CSGO and that's on PC correct me if i am wrong here
That's a different market (pc has more hardcore/skilled players than consoles)

Most games on that list are either new or have changed(gameplay wise/minor tweaks) over the ages so how do you expect a game with the same playstyle over 8 years ago to top charts? People like new stuff

Few reasons that i believe why halo declined:
1.destiny, overwatch, bf1 etc is where most casual halo or FPS fans in general went or they quit gaming altogether who knows
2.Dumb ass changes in halo reach and then followed by h4
3.console exclusive on the least popular system
4.halo isn't really casual friendly, almost every time i play i see people with 2 kills 15 deaths on casual playlists and that's not really fun for them i guess so they moved on
5.People got tired/bored of halo...yep it's that simple

Thank you for apologizing. I'm also sorry if came across as aggressive. When I talk about this on places like Reddit I usually just get attacked so I kind of expect it.

I do wonder what would have happened if it had stayed the same gameplay wise but with more tweaks in other areas like community features. Even though a game like Siege which isn't really casual but has a higher player base, I agree that Halo could do a better job in trying to incorporate casual players. Adding social playlists recently is better but other features like forge, while insanely improved, is not as accessible to normal players as it used to be. Anyone before could just pick up a controller and build or place basic things. It took me a while to get used to just basic Forge tools in Halo 5.

I think it may be too late now though like I said. I think Halo 4 was the last shot to really bring the series back but the horrible decisions just bogged it down. I think they should give the series a break or one day at least try to return it to what made Halo popular in the first place.

I know they won't

I always thought that Locke and his teams inclusion, was for the inevitable Destiny clone spin off.

Anyway Halo and 343. I love halo, it's what keeps me on Xbox. But let's face it, the game is fucking hardcore and totally unforgiving. Thus, not for everyone and certainly not for people that want to camp and stuff.

Then you have 343.... The beta was awesome, then they released it with the aiming fucked for whatever reason??? Then they tell us that they will let us choose the region where we play. Another fucking lie. Don't they get it that they might just have a chance at retaining a player base outside of the US if they let us choose?? Instead of using us as fodder? Their stewardship is highly questionable, even though for me gameplay wise, halo 5 is fucking amazing.

For the lack of a region selector in halo 5, I would like to say how very pleased I am to see it sitting below the division in the uk charts. I just hope that you lot (343) give yourselves that very much needed shake before releasing halo 6. Sometimes you are your own worst enemy.
I honestly cant wait for this trilogy to be over, I think Halo 6 will flop and hopefully a new team can take over Halo. Microsoft can keep the 343 forge team though, only honest section of the company.

mo60

Best playing..... definitely debatable
And most played since Halo 3 lol, 343 stays lying

Actually they said it had the highest retention rate compared to H4 and Reach which is plausible since reach and 4 had crazy drops in population after launch.Like population drops in excess of 300k like a month after launch in halo 4's case while halo 5 only dropped to possibly around 50 to 60k(?) one month after launch from like 100-150k

Nutter

I honestly cant wait for this trilogy to be over, I think Halo 6 will flop and hopefully a new team can take over Halo. Microsoft can keep the 343 forge team though, only honest section of the company.

So what magic team should take over Halo?

Gameplay wise 5 shits all over previous Halo games.

JimiNutz

Banned
lol @ Halo 5. What a terrible Halo game.

I'm glad Siege is doing well though.

Personally I think Halo 5 has the best MP of the series by far but it seems like the rest of the world doesn't agree with me.

Sad to see that it isn't hugely popular anymore because I still think it's the most balanced and rewarding MP experience out of the 'big' shooters.

What do I know though because my second favourite shooter (Overwatch) isn't insanely popular on XBL either.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Looks expected.

My guess is that FF15 xbox did not even sell more than 150k WW.

Gwyn

Thank you for apologizing. I'm also sorry if came across as aggressive. When I talk about this on places like Reddit I usually just get attacked so I kind of expect it.

I do wonder what would have happened if it had stayed the same gameplay wise but with more tweaks in other areas like community features. Even though a game like Siege which isn't really casual but has a higher player base, I agree that Halo could do a better job in trying to incorporate casual players. Adding social playlists recently is better but other features like forge, while insanely improved, is not as accessible to normal players as it used to be. Anyone before could just pick up a controller and build or place basic things. It took me a while to get used to just basic Forge tools in Halo 5.

I think it may be too late now though like I said. I think Halo 4 was the last shot to really bring the series back but the horrible decisions just bogged it down. I think they should give the series a break or one day at least try to return it to what made Halo popular in the first place.

I know they won't

They need to improve on alot of areas in h6(remove sprint and spartan charge???)

Only hope left is releasing it on pc which 99% will happen and somehow attract new players (win store lol) even though it won't be cross play with x1 i can see h6 being popular again but not h3 levels.

oti

Banned
Titanfall 2 below madden 16. Damn you all.

Did... did you expect anything else? That's the least surprising thing on this list.

Halo has been in top 10-top 20 for most of the year (with peaks with new content drops) and still higher than many new games despite being a year old in a crowded shooter market. I'd say it did pretty well for itself, even with all the hate it unnecessarily garners.

It's pretty clear that Halo isn't what it used to be. And I'm not talking about the game's quality or 343 or whatever. I'm not that much into the series to have an opinion on that and it doesn't matter here anyway. But the list shows people prefer 3rd party names over Halo, that's the story here and I don't know if MS can change this trend with a new game. This used to be THE Xbox series and it's not anymore. MS built the game to be eSports, to be played every day and streamed. Apparently, that didn't work out for them.

I'm sure we'll see a reboot into a Destiny-clone eventually. That's where shooters are headed.

Also, Gears on this list shows the series is a shadow of its former self. Again, not talking about the quality of the game here. Just started playing Gears 4 myself.

big_z

It FF on Xbox... what did you expect? :D

It probably ranked high in a possible PS4 list.

I highly doubt it. Had a spare copy and tried to sell it second week after release for $25 below retail. I got very few offers and it took 3 weeks to find a buyer. A shame but I don't think the game did very well anywhere.

I'm glad Halo 5 is high up there compared to what's above it. Let's face it, many.. manyyy "casual" players left Halo because of how unforgiving the multiplayer can be. The Custom Games Browser is a huge step in the right direction, but it also came a year after launch. Had it been there since day one, you'd probably be seeing it place higher, maybe.

At the end of the day, as long as you can quickly find matches (competitive or social), that's all that matters to me. If I want to get sweaty, I can easily find games in H5. If I want to mess around and not care about wins, there are options for that. I can't believe there are long-time Halo fans still arguing in 2016 how they think there's anything Halo could do to be in the ~top 5 most played games again lol.

For that to happen, Overwatch, CoD, Battlefield, and shit.. just about tons of other excellent games would have to disappear from existence. I mean, in what world can Halo 6 beat the next CoD, Red Dead Redemption, Battlefront, etc.? I just don't think it can unless those games fail miserably or there's a new mode added to Halo that we've never experienced before (ie: fully realized Firefight Versus that HaloGAF knows I occasionally mention, and even that may not be enough to cement Halo in the top 10 lol).

Unless 343 changes the core of what Halo multiplayer is to appeal to Overwatch fans, for example, you just won't see it where you want it to be. Perhaps for a spin-off that potential is there, but not for a mainline sequel because we've seen what happens when the core identity is changed too drastically from one game to the next.

Sordid

Halo deserves to be higher.

I disagree. The mp gameplay is great but the server selection is atrocious. Halo is my favourite franchise but it totally put me off playing. I still hop in now and again to see how things are and almost every match has people teleporting/eating shots/shooting me around corners. Focused searching my arse. No idea why they can't just let us choose our region. Not sure if they think I'm in the US or something but almost every game is a shit show. 343 acknowledged the problem and fixed it for a month or 2 around February (I think?) and the game played like a dream. Then they broke it again :/

I posted my experiences/video clips etc in the Halo 5 OT and plenty of other people said they had the same issues. It's crazy that 343 are happy to have the game perform like this for so many. I don't have connection issues in any other games: CoD, Battlefield, Titanfall, Rocket League, Gears, Forza etc all work fine.

mo60

I disagree. The mp gameplay is great but the server selection is atrocious. Halo is my favourite franchise but it totally put me off playing. I still hop in now and again to see how things are and almost every match has people teleporting/eating shots/shooting me around corners. Focused searching my arse. No idea why they can't just let us choose our region. Not sure if they think I'm in the US or something but almost every game is a shit show. 343 acknowledged the problem and fixed it for a month or 2 around February (I think?) and the game played like a dream. Then they broke it again :/

I posted my experiences/video clips etc in the Halo 5 OT and plenty of other people said they had the same issues. It's crazy that 343 are happy to have the game perform like this for so many. I don't have connection issues in any other games: CoD, Battlefield, Titanfall, Rocket League, Gears, Forza etc all work fine.

I live in Canada(Western part) and I was having connection problems for awhile during the summer.Every match or a lot of the matches would have an insane amount of lag for some unknown reason. It's mostly stopped now and I do get rare connection issues but it's not as bad as it was from July to like early September.

Top Bottom