• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving forward, which people are the most overdue for an Oscar now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

So you are mostly complaining about the eligibility rules.
I don't know, the Oscars are an award given by the American film industry mostly to itself, if anything, it's more inclusive than other national awards.
It is what it is.

I do agree that the foreign film nomination process is shit though.

It is what it is is a symbol of laziness, itellectually and when it comes down to activism. So leave out. More is possible.

Ackknowledge non-Disney movies. Give comedy actors more of a chance and stop overevaluiting drama. See Jim Carrey or recently Rose Byrne.

Change your rules for films. Just look at Berlinale where last year a Iranian film won the main prize. Change your rules for acting. Maggie Cheung won at Cannes. Deneuve should atleast be able to win at the Oscars atleast.

...this still hurts...

Wasn't even the best one from America that year.

Chichikov

It is what it is is a symbol of laziness, itellectually and when it comes down to activism. So leave out. More is possible.

Ackknowledge non-Disney movies. Give comedy actors more of a chance and stop overevaluiting drama. See Jim Carrey or recently Rose Byrne.

Change your rules for films. Just look at Berlinale where last year a Iranian film won the main prize. Change your rules for acting. Maggie Cheung won at Cannes. Deneuve should atleast be able to win at the Oscars atleast.
The Berlin International Film Festival is, you know, an international film festival, so is Cannes.
It's not really surprising that a film not from the country of the festival won it, just like an Italian movie won the San Francisco International Film Festival this year (just an example).

The Oscars are different, they're an industry award, it has nothing to do with laziness, this is like complaining that too many British films wins the BAFTA.

xenist

The OP's question implies Di Caprio was overdue. He wasn't. Morricone was. Deakins still is. That's what overdue is. Not what million dollar PR campaigns want you to think it is.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The idea that someone can be due for an Oscar is one of the biggest reasons that these awards are a joke.

Catvoca

Banned
He hasn't directed a typical "Oscar" film since they ignore comedies, but Edgar Wright is so talented he deserves one.

Gary Oldman
Glenn Close
Samuel L. Jackson

Also, Tarantino for director, dude has earned it. Get over it, Academy. //Disregard the screenplay notion, i forgot that he won 2 for this.

But i hope that Tom Hardy wins in the near future, great actor ... thought he played better than Leo in The Revenant.

I was very surprised to learn that Glenn Close doesn't yet have an Oscar. They really need some kind of 'Lifetime contribution to filmmaking' award - and have one for acting and one for production, so you can allow overlooked composers, directors, cinematographers etc to get their overdue credit too.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the fact Gary Oldman still hasn't won one is one of the biggest academy fuckups ever

Tom Hardy is younger than him but he deserved one for Bronson already

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
Glenn Close has the most nominations of any living actor/actress without a win. 2nd place?

Amy Adams.

old

36kQi3L.jpg

In all honesty, Jim Carrey.

Wouldn't Stallone have an Oscar for Rocky winning best picture since he wrote it?

JGLS

The first names that popped in my mind were:
Amy Adams
Paul Thomas Anderson
Terrence Malick
Roger Deakins
Jack Fisk
EDIT: Also Gary Oldman

Ithil

I was very surprised to learn that Glenn Close doesn't yet have an Oscar. They really need some kind of 'Lifetime contribution to filmmaking' award - and have one for acting and one for production, so you can allow overlooked composers, directors, cinematographers etc to get their overdue credit too.

They do have that, it's the Lifetime Achievement Award. Morricone was awarded it in 2006.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I don't see how it can be anyone but Deakins who was more deserving than about everyone else to begin with.

After him, I would go with PTA.

spekkeh

Banned
Paul Thomas Anderson really deserves one
As much as I think he deserved one for Boogie Nights and There Will be Blood, he jumped the shark with The Master, what a bunch of wank.

If he had gotten them, he was due to undeserve the previous ones because of that film.

Ithil

As much as I think he deserved one for Boogie Nights and There Will be Blood, he jumped the shark with The Master, what a bunch of wank.

If he had gotten them, he was due to undeserve the previous ones because of that film.

Because that's how it works.

Who won Best Actor in the year Assassination of Jesse James came out?

Casey Affleck blew me away in that, though I've only seen him in Gone Baby Gone elsewhere, in which he was good but not incredible imo

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Who won Best Actor in the year Assassination of Jesse James came out?

Casey Affleck blew me away in that, though I've only seen him in Gone Girl elsewhere, in which he was good but not incredible imo

Javier Bardem won that year. Casey is also pretty good in gone baby gone.

Carl2291

I'm incredibly salty that Hugh Jackman never even got a nomination for Prisoners, so I'll say Wolverine himself.

Speaking of Prisoners, Jake Gyllenhaal is another guy who I'd like to see get more recognition.

Michael Fassbender should win every year.

I just checked- he has been nominated twice, but he lost two good roles. - Jared Letho for Dallas Club, and Decaprio for Rev.

To me he was insane in Hunger. Everyone- Watch Steve McQueens Hunger. It is fucking amazing. Dat one shot monologue:O

The Master was brilliant. What is this nonsense?

WEGGLES

I just hate when people use initials and I don't know what they are.
or, putting it better, IJHWPUIAIDKWTA.

What's your opinion on IDNMFTTMWMFA by The Evaporators?

(It stands for "I don't need my friends to tell me who my friends are")

SkylineRKR

DiCaprio wasn't nearly as overdue as Scorsese and Morricone were, good lord. I think Fassbender and Hardy will get there eventually. They killed so many already.

If we're talking about overdue right now, then obviously Paul Thomas Anderson and David Fincher. Fight Club might just be my favourite flick ever.

Dabanton

The idea of someone being 'overdue' is why the oscars is as it is.

Politics, lobbying and owing 'favours'.

I'm incredibly salty that Hugh Jackman never even got a nomination for Prisoners, so I'll say Wolverine himself.

Speaking of Prisoners, Jake Gyllenhaal is another guy who I'd like to see get more recognition.

The roles he chooses are morally ambiguous to the nastier end of the scale, the voters at the academy have made it clear they don't like roles like that. And thus don't nominate or reward them usually.

Unless it's a high camp 'nasty' role.

Ithil

Gary Oldman is maybe the most versatile actor I can think of, he's a total chameleon, different in every role he does over the last 30 years.

He's received a grand total of one Oscar nom, in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom