• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moving forward, which people are the most overdue for an Oscar now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, Gary Oldman. Long overdo.

Second I would say Tom Cruise. But he has to stop doing Tom Cruise movies for a while.

Not to say he is bad in action movies... He is actually one of the most reliable actors I think with his performances. He's awesome when he's not doing the conventional action thing.

Born on The 4th of July
Interview With The Vampire
Magnolia
Collateral.

He will get one sooner or later I think.

SkylineRKR

Yep, Gary Oldman. Long overdo.

Second I would say Tom Cruise. But he has to stop doing Tom Cruise movies for a while.

Not to say he is bad in action movies... He is actually one of the most reliable actors I think with his performances. He's awesome when he's not doing the conventional action thing.

Born on The 4th of July
Interview With The Vampire
Magnolia
Collateral.

He will get one sooner or later I think.

Cruise is a bit of a has been. He doesn't draw in the crowds like he once did. His Collateral performance was nomination worthy, though Foxx was nominated in it.

Today he's stuck with Ethan Hunt I think, his only reliable box office success in recent times, and he will never be nominated for it. I must say, I absolutely loved Edge of Tomorrow.

Herzog is like one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, he is still alive and I dont even know if he has even been nominated.

There are loads of people around the world who deserved to be recognized. Deakins is very well known and his name keeps appearing. He doesn't need oscars. He is recognized by his peers, by the industry and movie fans. A guy like Mark Lee, which might be the most talented cinematographer alive has zero nominations. And this year his movie at least had some recognition and deserved to receive any possible award regarding the best achievement in terms of visuals.

kswiston

And Female Directors

Black Actors have way more wins/nominations than female directors.

Denzel Washington by himself has more wins and nominations than all women directors combined.

hey gaf do you think a chinese actor will ever win an oscar?

I'm sure someone will eventually. Especially as China invests more in Hollywood, leading to more collaborative efforts between Chinese and American/English film makers.

Dabanton

This is a bit 'inside baseball' but in regards to Roger Deakins, I wonder if it's because of his likability?

From people I know who've worked very closely with him, his reputation is of someone who can very,very prickly and odd. Also his wife is also known as a bit of a hard nut as well and they have a very nice setup, where she gets to work on the same films as him so she's always there as well.

It shouldn't effect his viability as someone to vote for but it probably does...

4Tran

This is a bit 'inside baseball' but in regards to Roger Deakins, I wonder if it's because of his likability?

From people I know who've worked very closely with him, his reputation is of someone who can very,very prickly and odd. Also his wife is also known as a bit of a hard nut as well and they have a very nice setup, where she gets to work on the same films as him so she's always there as well.

It shouldn't effect his viability as someone to vote for but it probably does...
Deakins managed to win 3 ASC Awards, so I doubt it's the reason. I think it has more to do with cinematography being a technical field and Academy Awards are generally voted on by non-technically minded people.

Oersted

The Berlin International Film Festival is, you know, an international film festival, so is Cannes.
It's not really surprising that a film not from the country of the festival won it, just like an Italian movie won the San Francisco International Film Festival this year (just an example).

The Oscars are different, they're an industry award, it has nothing to do with laziness, this is like complaining that too many British films wins the BAFTA.

Using another problem to handwave this one is absurd. Being wrong makes it funny. Bafta has specifically the BAFTA Award for Best Film and Best British Film categories. British films are not really guaranteed to win in the former category. Its a shame they dropped Best Foreign Actor award, damaged the diversity greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom