• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

I found this today from one of my favourite new YouTubers. He did a very similar review to Plinkett's last year and makes a lot of the same observations. Particularly on point with the same comment about letting the jokes breathe a little and sorting out the editing.

https://youtu.be/gcXszrAs5ik

I don't know how I've managed to never hear about Mr. Plinkett until now, this character is brilliant. I even watched the Episode 1 review. He has some very insightful commentary. Beyond the schtick, there is some serious film analysis here. It's a shame what Sony and Fieg did to the Ghostbusters franchise. I don't know how Sony pictures is still continuing to survive.

I prefer it when he dials back on the serial killer stuff, but his Star Wars prequel reviews are great. Although his other stuff prior to Ghostbusters has mostly been a miss for me.

I found this today from one of my favourite new YouTubers. He did a very similar review to Plinkett's last year and makes a lot of the same observations. Particularly on point with the same comment about letting the jokes breathe a little and sorting out the editing.

I prefer it when he dials back on the serial killer stuff, but his Star Wars prequel reviews are great. Although his other stuff prior to Ghostbusters has mostly been a miss for me.
Cop dog and baby's day out continue to be among his greatest reviews on hilarity alone.

If were posting other reviews of the Ghostbusters remake, I would also suggest ralphthemoviemaker's Reasons Ghostbusters 2016 Sucks.

It's really good, and goes into some points and makes observations that the Plinkett review didn't. One of the best points that he makes early on is that the dialogue in the remake often stops to tell jokes, instead of integrating the humour and comedy naturally into the characters' conversations. It demonstrates the difference between well-crafted and well-scripted comedy and the Ghostbusters remake. My favourite comedy of 2016 was Shane Black's The Nice Guys, and it's amazing how well it manages to tell jokes while simultaneously telling it's story.

Shaanyboi

Banned
jzxq0fxnzp5y.jpg

Every time I see this, I die a little on the inside.

Cheerilee

I don't get this at all. I'm a Swede so maybe it's a language thing? Or is it a obscure reference i'm too old to get lol?

In the extremely popular Valve game "Portal", you play as a human test subject being forced to run through a maze like a laboratory rat, by an insane computer program called GLaDOS. She sometimes tries to use positive reinforcement to get you to comply, claiming that she's baking a cake for you, and that you can have it when you reach the end. The cake was described by her as being delicious and moist. At one point, you find an area where a former test subject was hiding, and the former test subject (mentally broken by the insane experiments) had scrawled "The cake is a lie" all over the walls like a madman. It was a pretty cool moment in videogames.

And then people beat that moment to death. People on the internet would not shut up about saying "The cake is a lie". It was really annoying, and pretty much ruined something that was otherwise cool.

This cringeworthy comic saw that moment and thought that was cool. The meme, not the game. The comic starts with this baffling premise that socializing would be better if it was done with "real" cool people, nerds who play videogames (I wonder, does the comic creator really think that, or are they just pandering to the nerds in their audience?), and so the girl deliberately baits anyone in earshot by using the words "delicious and moist" in reference to her cake, and some jackass pops up like clockwork to respond to that tired old meme, and the characters smile about how that was some sort of success. It's just...painful.

And that's not even mentioning the terrible art.

Neith

Banned
This could have worked, but they got all the wrong women for the job. Either that or it was played WAY too much like an SNL skit. There was just no real respect for the subtle and realistic nature of the first film.

I think even a couple of the girls could have worked, but with a TOTALLY different atmosphere. They just blew this film to pieces. Can you imagine the girls like the original 4 guys without all the campy bullshit? It would have been great.

Staf

In the extremely popular Valve game "Portal", you play as a human test subject being forced to run through a maze like a laboratory rat, by an insane computer program called GLaDOS. She sometimes tries to use positive reinforcement to get you to comply, claiming that she's baking a cake for you, and that you can have it when you reach the end. The cake was described by her as being delicious and moist. At one point, you find an area where a former test subject was hiding, and the former test subject (mentally broken by the insane experiments) had scrawled "The cake is a lie" all over the walls like a madman. It was a pretty cool moment in videogames.

And then people beat that moment to death. People on the internet would not shut up about saying "The cake is a lie". It was really annoying, and pretty much ruined something that was otherwise cool.

This cringeworthy comic saw that moment and thought that was cool. The meme, not the game. The comic starts with this baffling premise that socializing would be better if it was done with "real" cool people, nerds who play videogames (I wonder, does the comic creator really think that, or are they just pandering to the nerds in their audience?), and so the girl deliberately baits anyone in earshot by using the words "delicious and moist" in reference to her cake, and some jackass pops up like clockwork to respond to that tired old meme, and the characters smile about how that was some sort of success. It's just...painful.

And that's not even mentioning the terrible art.

Thanks for the explanation. I actually thought it would be something.... funny. Kinda disappointed lol.

Loved the review. Movie was fucking trash. One of the worst movies I've ever seen. I'm actually even more disappointed in the movie after watching the review. I only watched the movie a few weeks ago, but I assumed the shitty dialogue and incredibly flat jokes were just an awful script. I had no idea so much improv was involved. These are three normally very funny ladies, and Leslie Jones. I'd have thought they could have done better than that in terms of improvising.

Top Bottom