• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Plinkett reviews Ghostbusters (2016)

IrishNinja

tumblr_osd7sqaJjs1ua7tzho2_400.gif

still better than 2 though

Plum

Released just as I go to sleep.

I shall be highly disappointed it I can't use that one Community gif when I come back after watching it tomorrow.

10 minutes in and he's totally right about Sony Pictures being a giant train wreck. I just looked up their list of movies for the past few years and they're 95% trash.

Gorger

How can they diss Freaks and Geeks. They can blame Paul Feig for a lot of things, but Freaks and Geeks is a masterpiece.

kswiston

I tried for about 59 seconds, but I think that I am too old to get the appeal of these sorts of videos. I will probably follow along this thread for the Cliffs Notes version instead of forcing myself through an hour of that voice.

EDIT: To clarify, I am not saying that the video isn't worth watching. I just don't get/like the weird voice stuff on youtube. I am interested to see what people think of the content, even if I will probably stick to lurking.

If a text transcript shows up at some point, I'll read that.

IrishNinja

Damning with faint praise.

Also, 2 is miles better than the reboot.

Nah, 2 gave me some laughs, the remake just made me think they got all the wrong people to work on the remake. Great example of what I hate about these type of "comedies".

disagree

I tried for about 59 seconds, but I think that I am too old to get the appeal of these sorts of videos. I will probably follow along this thread for the Cliffs Notes version instead of forcing myself through an hour of that voice.

i could never really get into em, some of RLM feels like just talking about a film on the way back from it - which i enjoy with friends, but that's about it

ill give them that they're at least entertaining sometimes, as opposed to say, TGWTG or whatever it was stuff

The slobbering anticipation for this "takedown" is a sad extension of the original, mysogynist cynicism that accompanied the initial casting announcement.

JCHandsom

I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop on how "Hollywood needs to stop trying to push progressive politics and make a good movie" or some other such nonsense. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

ZoddGutts

disagree

i could never really get into em, some of RLM feels like just talking about a film on the way back from it - which i enjoy with friends, but that's about it

ill give them that they're at least entertaining sometimes, as opposed to say, TGWTG or whatever it was stuff

That's fine, personally I remember enjoying the sequel whenever they played it on TV. It does have it's flaws though, but not enough for me to not like it, unlike the remake being kinda bad from beginning to end.

Acorn

Guess I'll finally take the plunge and watch the reboot then watch this.

God save my soul.

Edit 2 hours!?

Ekai

I'm just waiting for the shoe to drop on how "Hollywood needs to stop trying to push progressive politics and make a good movie" or some other such nonsense. I really, really hope I'm wrong.

15 minutes and it hasn't happened so far.....but, there's lots of video left.

almost halfway through and so far there's none of that. honestly, I think there's plenty about this movie to trash without even bringing that spurious "argument" to the table

Ekai

hahaha i completely forgot about papa john strolling in with pizza

and what the hell is that dunkin donut stuff with al pacino from

Jack and Jill. They went over this in their two parter of it on Half in the Bag.

considering you have to actually watch the review to post in here I doubt it as the review is fine

all that hullabaloo in the other thread was for nothing, it seems

Nah, RLM isn't without criticism. Reactions to the anticipation of them covering a movie that they constantly downplayed the sexism surrounding it is to be expected. But sure. "hullabaloo".

border

I cannot really approve of them slamming Spy, Bridesmaids, and Freaks & Geeks. Though maybe that's supposed to be more Plinkett's character?

IrishNinja

He makes a good point of the amount of callbacks that it makes to the first movie and how it ruins the movie.

yeah a few cameos were fun but it really felt like a crutch at times, that's true

same

I just started but

embarrassing post. how about watching it and then posting about it?

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I re-watched this last night. I honestly think the movie would be like a million times better if a) you cut about 40% of the jokes, even some of the good ones like the Jaws mayor joke, and b) the movie didn't have the colour palette of a live-action cartoon.

edit: c) and you got rid of the cameos.

Oersted

10 minutes in and he's totally right about Sony Pictures being a giant train wreck. I just looked up their list of movies for the past few years and they're 95% trash.

Sony Pictures Classics is the remaining decent part. But thats mostly just distribution.

Kayhan

I cannot really approve of them slamming Spy, Bridesmaids, and Freaks & Geeks. Though maybe that's supposed to be more Plinkett's character?

Spy was a surprisingly good movie. Statham was especially great. Really disappointing that Ghostbusters 2016 was such a misfire from Feig.

Top Bottom