• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS wants to buy Valve too

T4keD0wN

I'd love to see the communications from Sony about buying Nintendo or valve. #sonytoo crowd working overtime.
Why bring Sony into this? This thread doesnt concern them since they werent incompetent enough to leak their documents, yet.

They likely do not have any communications about buying them, but they certainly analyze them as potential threats and opportunities, its a common practice that anyone who did even an introductory class on economics would know. The larger the CAPEX the bigger the list would be and more focused on big deals like aquisitions, if their CAPEX does not allow for it or the risk is too high or it doesnt align with their business strategy/OKRs they wont treat them as a serious target for aquisitions, but to learn that they first have to do an aquisition analysis.

Smaller companies like EA or Ubisoft for example will have the same list of companies, but they will come to completely different conclusions and decisions and be much more focused on competitors products and less on outright buying them unlike larger companies. They will not have other publishers as aquisition opportunities, but rather as potential threats/partners or merger targets.

My main point was supposed to be that this information is pretty obvious and useless as theres a 99% chance it will result in nothing and even if it did there is no way regulators would allow msoft to buy Valve anyway.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Never gonna happen.
famous last words?

Personally, I am shocked they haven't done or tried to do this sooner. It is outright embarrassing or mind-blowing that Valve and Steam exist on the back of Windows. Classic case of not seeing and appreciating what you already had and was right in front of you the whole time. Valve and Steam are literal, everyday, in-your-face proof that Xbox as a whole is a complete waste and unnecessary use of funds and a herculean lack of foresight.

Shocking.

Anyway, it doesn't surprise me that they would at least consider it.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Of course they want to. I'm sure it's to "beings games to more people" too. Where's all these Xbox zealots at now that we can see the full picture? Have you lost your will to preach the good deeds of Phil Spencer?!

Bry0

Gabe won’t do it. Simple as that. Can’t speak for what comes after him though. They are pushing for Linux more than ever too, interesting times ahead.

SHA

Any corporate aren't willing to take risks, they're living in the past and take advantage of all the goods that came from it and will not stay forever, it's that simple, there's no magic behind all that. .

Last edited:
Today I learnt that businesses are in the business to make money for their business.

It's taken the best part of fifty years for this simian brain of mine to get it but thanks to Neogafs legal and business experts where there was dark...now there is light.
Ah yes, that's all that is behind this trillions dollar company's discussions about acquiring their competitors. They're in business to make money! Why didn't we think of that before!?

Majukun

is it really such a surprise that a company with the spare money of MS is interested in buying established money makers?

Fbh

Gaben aint selling to Microsoft lol

Gabe probably aint selling. But he isn't going to live forever.
Best case scenario is however takes over after him respects his vision and keeps it private and independent.
But we've also seen plenty of cases of people inheriting something like this and just going "I don't fucking care what you do with it just give me lots of money now"

ahtlas7

Oh No Lol GIF by AwesomenessTV

MS wants to consume it all. And to think I was so excited for them to join the market with Xbox so many years ago.

Top Bottom