• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS wants to work with Sony to bring the "Better Together" Minecraft update to PS4

Vistrix

I find this funny because in the previous generation, it always seemed to be the other way round.

Sony was fine with cross platform multiplayer games and Microsoft would not allow it.

I can't believe people are still using this as a justification.

I think people subconsciously believe that Sony and Microsoft are like two high school prom queens fighting over a boyfriend or something. It's the only way people can dream up all this non-business, overly dramatic nonsense about a business decision.

I mean if Microsoft was "the good guy" they'd just release a patch for the PS4 version and leave out the online together stuff.

"How can this happen in this day and age." Yeah we moved on from dealing with starving children in Africa to make this the most pressing issue of the day lmao. And "better apart" it's like people really believe winning a forum argument, in their heads mind you, will have any impact on what happens as a result of what is happening here lmao.

The only problem with "this day and age" is how so many people continue to believe everyone must be thinking about how important only the things they are thinking about are. This is an example of that. That Minecraft must be front and center, even though it is likely a drop in the bucket of the PS4 users who 1) even know about this and 2) might even care.

I mean one of the issues may simply be data sharing on the PS4 userbase. Maybe Sony doesn't want to share player data that can be mined by Microsoft for targeted advertising elsewhere.
I find this funny because in the previous generation, it always seemed to be the other way round.

Sony was fine with cross platform multiplayer games and Microsoft would not allow it.

If they were really both fine with it we would see many, many games with common player bases, not just Rocket League and Minecraft. And Sony has typically only wanted online cooperation with PC in the past as far as I can tell.

Unless I guess Minecraft is the only important multiplayer game now apparently.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Lol no.
It's not that easy, Rocket League cross play solution is far from ideal.
Proper cross play means every company building it's own infrastructure like Capcom Fighting Network and that's lot of work when they have Plus/Live options by default.

Considering how many times Ive had to put my email in to play a third party game online, Id say most are already there.

Forward

You can use the word exclusive if you're talking about every system but one. That's not what exclusive means.

Google the term. I mean, like, at a dictionary site. I shall not be holding my breath for your retraction, though.

I am assuming of course that your unintelligible as written post meant that "I cannot use the term..." in a correct, and proper manner.

EDIT:

No humility? Thought so.

LycanXIII

Even if PlayStation users don't want to use cross-play, they should be mad that Sony is making it so they can't get the up to date version of Minecraft.

This is way different, as been said to death already.

Sony has never implied they wanted crossplatform games with Xbox. They allowed some games cross-platform with PC (so did Microsoft at times, fwiw). Now they are refusing crossplay with Xbox and Nintendo and people are bending over backwards saying "bu bu but they allow some games cross-platform with PC!!!1" whilst making stupid anti-consumer excuses defending a corporation that doesn't care about them.

jelly

Would it be a bad thing if EA went cross play, you need an EA account anyway. That would result in pretty sweet player bases.

Other than them, I don't think the infrastructure cost is that appealing so it's not like opening Pandora's box. Many could go the rocket league way of no user interaction but others like Ubisoft might force uPlay if they did cross play. Does Rockstar demand an account for GTA online or is it optional?

I don't think Sony have an excuse, they just like their own ecosystem and have the numbers to ignore it. I don't think it's a case of PSN sucking either, EA account etc works fine with it but it might possibly be voice and other features that would break between platforms rather than online play, that's a possible hurdle. Does Rocket League have voice across platforms?

Lol no.
It's not that easy, Rocket League cross play solution is far from ideal.

Who gives a shit if it's far from ideal. It works, and Sony not allowing it gives the major and minor companies reason enough to not bother, because why waste the time and money investing in crossplay infrastructure and codebases if one of the major companies will just say "No"

Proper cross play means every company building it's own infrastructure like Capcom Fighting Network and that's lot of work when they have Plus/Live options by default.

Most games are P2P, that said...

Activision = Battle.net
EA = Origin/EA Access
Ubisoft = UPlay
Rockstar = Rockstar Social Club
Microsoft = Xbox Live/Microsoft Account
Sony = PSN
Nintendo = Nintendo ID

Need we go on?

Head.spawn

The most relevant word there is "seemed". I'll never understand the facade they've been putting up the entire time, back in the day, last year and even recently, they've always maintained to portray themselves to be in this position where they want people to give them the benefit of the doubt that they're for cross-play. Just be upfront. People would react better if they just lay out exactly what their plans are instead of being disingenuous.

They don't want to do it? Just fucking say so from the start.

This is way different, as been said to death already.

Sony has never implied they wanted crossplatform games with Xbox. They allowed some games cross-platform with PC (so did Microsoft at times, fwiw). Now they are refusing crossplay with Xbox and Nintendo and people are bending over backwards saying "bu bu but they allow some games cross-platform with PC!!!1" whilst making stupid anti-consumer excuses defending a corporation that doesn't care about them.

When asked directly about crossplay with Xbox, their reply implied that they were on the forefront of crossplatform play and that it's something they've done in the past and will always do and that all they had to do was have a chat with developers about it... which clearly wasn't the case because they said they never had any internal talks about it after the fact and the lack of progress shows they were being facetious at best.

Would you guys be ok with this update if Sony only went half way and allowed PS4 with PC crossplay?

Because, I seriously think that is how far Sony is gonna go with this.

I'm saying if you guys would be fine if it came to that compromise?

No, because even then it would be needlessly limiting the community. Because then you are also ignoring Android and iOS.

Not to mention, Sony wouldn't go for it either way because the Better Together Update includes custom server support, which means all it takes is someone from the community a couple days to a month to decompile the server and create a clone of it that allows everyone to connect into it and relays the character information to the banned platforms as a reskinned NPC. Which would Violate Sony's ToS and piss them off and get them mad at Microsoft for allowing it and they would then put legal pressure on Microsoft to correct it, meaning that less money would go towards fixing and improving the game and more would go towards fighting the community.

LordKano

Wouldn't It be just two servers instead of one?

PS4 => PC <=> PC <=> XB1 <=> Switch

One of the main features of the update is the implementation of in-game server matchmaking, without the need of Realms. They're doing that with specific partners, there are 4 announced servers so far, capable of hosting thousands of players at once.

Do you think they'll ask all of their partners to make a second server solely for those who play on PS4 ? And, when you think about it, the possibility of a PS4+PC server would just end up being a PS4 only server because the PC player has no incentive to play on the less-populated server.

That's only one of the few problems that it would cause.

No, because even then it would be needlessly limiting the community. Because then you are also ignoring Android and iOS.

Not to mention, Sony wouldn't go for it either way because the Better Together Update includes custom server support, which means all it takes is someone from the community a couple days to a month to decompile the server and create a clone of it that allows everyone to connect into it and relays the character information to the banned platforms as a reskinned NPC. Which would Violate Sony's ToS and piss them off and get them mad at Microsoft for allowing it and they would then put legal pressure on Microsoft to correct it, meaning that less money would go towards fixing and improving the game and more would go towards fighting the community.

One of the main features of the update is the implementation of in-game server matchmaking, without the need of Realms. They're doing that with specific partners, there are 4 announced servers so far, capable of hosting thousands of players at once.

Do you think they'll ask all of their partners to make a second server solely for those who play on PS4 ? And, when you think about it, the possibility of a PS4+PC server would just end up being a PS4 only server because the PC player has no incentive to play on the less-populated server.

That's only one of the few problems that it would cause.

Welp, guess you guys won't get on PS4 then.

gunstarhero

At the moment, no. There would be a way if Sony supported the Better Together Update... just to link it back to the thread. However Sony is saying no to that. With that said, you have two options and a third if you like to pray.

1. Put the save on an External Drive, use a 3rd party tool to copy it to your PC, then another 3rd party tool to convert to PS4 format. Then find a way to get it to your PS4s Hard Drive
2. Wait for the Better Together Update, copy the save to the Windows 10 Version then use a 3rd party tool to convert it to PS4 format. Then find a way to get that on your PS4s Hard Drive
3. Pray Sony changes their mind on the Better Together Update and just copy it to PS4 when it comes out.

Shit. -_-

Thanks though.

Top Bottom