• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

Ding

burnfout said:
If I buy a slim, can I transfer my old harddrive without my old xbox working? With a transfer kit or something?

Any way to open the disc tray to get red faction out of it???
Yes, you can use a transfer cable to move the contents of your old hard drive on to the new Slim's drive. You could also temporarily connect your old drive to a borrowed 360, and use a USB stick to transfer some or all of the contents to your new 360.

To open the drive, remove the faceplate, and then repeatedly poke a paper-clip-like object into the small hole found just to the side of the DVD tray. I'm sure you can Google up instructions somewhere.

Pennybags

My ~3 year old Pro bombed due to E73. Of all the things it can die of, it just has to be something that is not covered by the extended warranty. :(

Shipped it off two days ago.

Cmagus said:
I think mine is going goes all weird after like 5 min i tested other systems and they all worked fine so i know its not my tv looks all wierd like a painting come to life

vlcsnap-2010-07-10-23h43m01s66.png
Fuu. This happened to me a couple days ago. It went like that for a few minutes, and then it stopped sending video signal. Audio works fine, but no video signal is being sent (tried with component, composite and VGA cable, no luck). My 3rd 360 finally croaked. ;_;

Cmagus

So I went and just picked up Crackdown 2 all excited to play it and yep red ring down goes Xbox 360 number 2.Yes mine did that for awhile then stopped sending video and then died

Cmagus

wow just called MS to get my 360 fixed and it's out of warranty and they want 176.00 but since they are so nice they offered me a free month of gold so very kind.Man this sucks it's their shitty hardware that broke so yeah.

MoxManiac

Don't you guys hate this generation of hardware? My 360 hasn't died yet, but that's because it's only a couple months old, it's only a matter of time. But my PS3 died twice and my Wii is already starting the beginning signs of GPU problems.

Cmagus

It's just ridiculous they publicly acknowledge this is a problem with their hardware and yet they won't fix it.If I threw it down the stairs and broke it then sure its my problem but fuck this is the second time now and that fee is more than half the fee of a new one.

Same thing happened with my PS3 and yellow light and that was it for me with them they had a similar cost but i guess what can you do im not gonna pay it though I don't think its right and yeah it won't matter to them but im not giving them a cent for their problem.

witness

I've been checking the status of my system and now this morning its saying repair complete. How long does it usually take them to ship the console back? I hope to get it back in time for Madden, I usually get madden on ps3 but I'm considering getting it on 360 this year just for a change up.

My original Premium 360 (20gig) RROD on Friday, had it for quite a few years which wouldnt seem so bad but when you take into account it hardly ever got used untill recently (which is still only for about 2 hours a week) it shows how bad they must have been.

Not sure what im going to do but my wife isnt very happy as it was mainly her console these days.

Daigoro

fucking RROD this morning.

20 gig just over 2 years old. it was a Falcon i think? dunno if its covered under warranty...

havent even played a game in 2 days, just a bit of netflix and the thing red rings on me.

fuck.

Daigoro

anyone ever do the x-clamp fix on your RROD'd 360?

theres a couple of tutorials out there. im going to try one if my box isnt under warranty anymore.

Daigoro said:
anyone ever do the x-clamp fix on your RROD'd 360?

theres a couple of tutorials out there. im going to try one if my box isnt under warranty anymore.
My friend's Xbox died a few months back and I fixed it for him. I used the Xecutor RRoD Repair Kit and it worked for me. It came with all the tools and was pretty straight forward. If you know how to use a screwdriver you should be able to fix it yourself.

Rtas

My xbox is one of the original generation, the old 20 gig hdd versions. It made it to almost the end of its warranty before it suffered the horrible e74 error. Sent it off, got it fixed after a bizzarely long time without it. And the only thing I noticed is the damn thing is noisier now that its been fixed. Its like they attached 9 fans to the inside or something. I'm glad I'm swapping it out for a new gen soon

tirant

Daigoro said:
fucking RROD this morning.

20 gig just over 2 years old. it was a Falcon i think? dunno if its covered under warranty...

havent even played a game in 2 days, just a bit of netflix and the thing red rings on me.

fuck.

3year warranty for RROD. So don't even try to open your console, just call MS and wait for your replacement console and a free XBL month :)

Daigoro

thanks guys. ok its still under warranty, i had to call 18004MYXBOX to get it confirmed. ill be shipping it off tomorrow. hope it doesn't take too long.

fix sounds pretty easy, so ill try that next time it shit the bed. unless i get my hands on someones dead box to play with.

E74 today. Just stuck Mass Effect 2 in to Cerberus Network it and got all these weird artifacts. Thought, FUCK THAT! Ejected disk and reset.

E74.

Cock and balls, Microsoft. Next fucking time do some QA.

Dear My First 360, I shall miss you. Together we completed Mass Effect 1, Fable 2 and Halo 3. You introduced me to the power of the Impossible Game and then you left me.

Good night sweet prince (motherfucker).

Turnstyle

Playing Alan Wake last night, a blue vertical line appeared on the right of the screen for about a couple of seconds. Probably only a few pixels wide.

Is this a sign that my 360 is on its way out? I've only had this one about a year I think. It's an arcade, came bundled with Banjo.

If this one fails, it'll be my third RROD. :eek:(

Animatik

Neo Member
Happened last night, it just decided not to turn on =[ :

DSC00489.jpg

Bought it from Costco roughly two years ago.
Decided to log on the Microsoft site this morning to register it to see if it was still covered by some kind of warranty and to my surprise it still was covered for a free repair. Going to ship it out either today or tomorrow.

Daigoro

yes, the rep i talked to said that they are going to hook me up with a month of LIVE.

mine is on its way back. got the email on Saturday.

im glad. ive been going through withdrawals.

Cmagus said:
It's just ridiculous they publicly acknowledge this is a problem with their hardware and yet they won't fix it.If I threw it down the stairs and broke it then sure its my problem but fuck this is the second time now and that fee is more than half the fee of a new one.

Same thing happened with my PS3 and yellow light and that was it for me with them they had a similar cost but i guess what can you do im not gonna pay it though I don't think its right and yeah it won't matter to them but im not giving them a cent for their problem.
I totally agree. My 3rd probably didn't even have 50 hours of use before tanking. I really only use my 360 for like 4-6 hours a week (2-3 hours at a time) and the thing bought the farm back in August of 2008. I think that all of this is insane, and they should be held fully responsible for this. I loved the first time I called in May of 2006 when my first one died and they told me it was my fault and there was nothing that they could do about it, their failure rate was under 5% and they have not heard of these complaints before this.

Daigoro

so i got an email on Saturday saying "An Xbox 360 console has been shipped to you"

UPS tracking didnt really update until this afternoon. and this is what im seeing:

Location Date Local Time DescriptionWhat's This?
US 08/17/2010 9:05 P.M. ARRIVAL
08/17/2010 8:45 P.M. CARRIER AND CUSTOMS RELEASED
MX 08/17/2010 7:10 P.M. DEPARTURE
MX 08/16/2010 4:46 P.M. RECEIVED INTO UPS SCS POSSESSION
08/16/2010 4:36 P.M. BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

does this mean they shipped me an xbox from Mexico? :lol

it was supposedly repaired in Mesquite Texas. wonder how long this is going to take...

i like how it was supposedly shipped on Saturday, but it doesnt look like UPS did anything with it until Monday 4:30 PM.

Daigoro

yeah looks like the thing was in Mexico for some reason. unless they are shipping me a new one. which would fucking suck because ive been waiting 2 weeks for the thing to supposedly be repaired.

it just made it to TX today. the placed where i shipped it off to 2 weeks ago.

shouldve just fixed the fucking thing myself.

masterkajo

I finally had time to start playing Bioshock 2 today and after about 5 minutes of playing my screen got a pink overlay. I could still see and play just everything had a pinkish touch to it - or more like a pattern of pinkish points showed on screen. I turned it off and on again and it went fine for 5 minutes - then the same problem. Trying different games now but everything seems to work fine. Also, about 2 years ago when I played Bioshock my Xbox (it is a black Elite version which I bought the day it the Elite was available) froze and showed the RRoD twice at different times in the game. But it worked after turning it off and on again.

I am using HDMI to connect it to an LG Full HD TV. So is just that my Xbox doesn't like Bioshock or will it die on me soon?

EDIT: Apparently, some graphical errors alos occour during other games now as well. Not as visible and pink but some gray/black stripes as overlay as well. As if you put a small lattice in front of the TV. But only during gameplay. When I am in the Dashboard everythings is normal. I guess I will need a new XBox if I want to play through Bioshock2 now.
It's just, it worked in the morning (was replaying ODST) and now in the evening suddenly it is too much for it. :(

EDIT 2: It got worse now. The pinkish dots now look like a matrix screen with the real picture underneath barely visible. It takes about 2-3 minutes before it suddenly starts - guess the GPU has to "warm up" first before malfunctioning... Unfortunatley, I do not have any warranty any more.

EDIT 3: Now it it definitly is effecting every game with a more redish matrix overlay. I could still play and havn't gotten any RRoD yet, but I am feeling lucky today... :(
Should I just buy a new Slim version or try a repair?

Here a picture of how it looks like.

2guk1f7.jpg

EDIT 4: It just happened... the bottom right side of the power button flashed red and on the display I got an E74 error. I guess I will contact the support hotline tomorrow and see what they tell me.

EDIT 5: Called today. Tunrs out I still have warranty until November!! NICE! Will send it in right away. Hope it gets back before Reach!

Ok so my launch premium 360 RROD a few weeks ago and me and the wife have decided to get a new slim in about a month.

The thing i want to know is will i be able to salvage the game saves from the HDD of my current one and transfer it to a new 360? Also will i just be able to sign on my gamertag like normal or is there something i need to do about that?

Any help would be great as the wife is begging to go through Fable 2 again before the 3rd comes out :D

Dirtyshubb said:
The thing i want to know is will i be able to salvage the game saves from the HDD of my current one and transfer it to a new 360? Also will i just be able to sign on my gamertag like normal or is there something i need to do about that?
Yes, but you'll need a transfer cable. You'll be able to sign in to your gamertag as normal.

Only thing other than that you'll need to do is (after you've used the transfer cable) use the licence transfer utility on the MS site.

nli10

Seems that most people here with recent fatalities are on the 20GB model and high play times.

I've got the 60 GB more recent revision (maybe 2 years old - got it on Fable 2 launch) and don't really play that much, but I'm upgrading to the Halo one and getting £50 trade for my existing one (on a delay so I can transfer all the info off if I don't get it all on memory cards in time).

I think a pre-emptive move to slim is probably wise.

So summary of my issues:
Bought launch premium
-sent for repair in 07 after the halo 3 beta
-refurb sent back was DOA
-2nd refurb died in mid 08

Bought Core 360 in Nov 06 due to sale / fear of launch unit dying
-Core RRoD in summer 08, send for repair (console only) get refurb back and use already hooked up premium 360 ac adapter and av cables to test and put in storage since I was down to 1 tv

Last week dust off core since I'm moving out again and will have 2 tvs, test out ac adapter from original core they didn't have me send in to replace when it RRoD. AC adapter does not fit (doesn't go in far enough to click due mobo/power supply change in units)

Called xbox support to get proper power supply shipped, they want to charge me $40 after admitting and checking records that I should have been sent a new power supply

Absolutely the worse experience I have ever witnessed

Psychotext said:
Yes, but you'll need a transfer cable. You'll be able to sign in to your gamertag as normal.

Only thing other than that you'll need to do is (after you've used the transfer cable) use the licence transfer utility on the MS site.

Thanks for the reply.

So all i will have to do is plug both in, connect the transfer cable and it will be able to transfer over the save files, even though one has RROD?

Will have a look at the licence transfer utility later.

Dirtyshubb said:
So all i will have to do is plug both in, connect the transfer cable and it will be able to transfer over the save files, even though one has RROD?

Will have a look at the licence transfer utility later.
Your old machine has nothing to do with the transfer cable, just your new machine and your old hdd.

Mine died on Sunday. Four years old, no warranty and now I don't know what to do. Repair for 90€, get an Arcade and put the old HDD on it, get a slim or just sell all my 360 stuff and continue playing videogames on my PS3 slim.

Nyx

My second 360 died 2 weeks ago, and my warranty expired in 2009....

Buying an Arcade tonight, finally got my salary, so back to gaming on the 360 !

masterkajo

Got my new XBox! Works great!

But a friend of mine got a RRoD now. 3 red blinking lights. He got no more warratny and so used the towel trick. But it is only a temporary fix. Anyone know what he can do to keep it working? Use a big fan to keep it cool? Anyone got any specific products to recommend?

Jonsend

Just handed my PhD thesis in and decided it's time to to ease myself back into gaming. I thought I'd have a crack at the one remaining inferno level in EDF 2017 then grab DR2: Case 0.

My 360 has other ideas :'(

The 360 is within the RROD warranty by about 2 months so it's off to MS. What happens with the warranty now, will it still expire in 2 months or is it extended?

Jonsend said:
The 360 is within the RROD warranty by about 2 months so it's off to MS. What happens with the warranty now, will it still expire in 2 months or is it extended?
Assuming you're in the US, you'll get another 90 days after you get it back. (May be the same in other countries, wont swear to it)

RedSwirl

I bought a 2007 system off of a friend a couple months ago and it died last night. It started as an E 71 but went into full red ring.

I want to just go ahead and buy an Arcade, but what have experiences been with Jaspers? I've searched around and haven't found reports of Jaspers that RROD'd but I want to be sure. I'm not quite ready to drop $300 on a Slim yet.

Salsa

RedSwirl said:
Apparently they auto shut-down in order to prevent permanent damage with a "red dot".

Yeah i know, i appreciate this. Just wanted to know if there´s some other sort of trouble or story about a slim already dying.

-Pyromaniac- said:
Some people on IGN have had their slim models die.

Really ? :/ sucks

Let's not head down this road again shall we... a couple of failures != a problem.

At least lets see some GAF reported failures first. :lol

N4Us

Got the 3/4 ring on my 2-year old console today. Can't say I was too surprised, it's been doing weird things the past month or so.

Thankfully the register site says that it's still in warranty.

Top Bottom