• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Xbox 360 Died and I Lived to tell the story" Official Thread

mrgone

Chrange said:
I sent all the details to the Consumerist actually, and updated them twice, though I think that was all from before filing the BBB complaint. Never heard a thing from them in return.

Forgot to mention that the rep told me today that he'd been given the BBB complaint today. Would going to Kotaku/Joystiq hurt that process?

My god, all of this almost has me thankful that my 360 just died out of warranty :( The ineptitude and/or blatant neglect you're dealing with is breathtaking.

Chrange

Banned
*sigh* Just got an e-mail that says the new plan is that I'll have a console by next Tuesday. They failed to expedite it yet again.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Pro Model + HDMI (Zephyr board?) Manufactured october 2007 3 RROD on me this weekend.
I haven't played games on it in a couple of months but we use it a lot as a Netflix box.

The Bad News
So I finally grabbed Halo Reach and my friends and I sit down to play and we get exactly ONE ROUND in before the thing goes RROD :( :( :( arrrrghh. I confirm its three rings and not a power source issue, go online and see that I am still covered with the revised warranty policy, but that it could take several weeks to get my console back.

The Good News
I decided to go back to Costco and and see if they would take it back since it was still under the Warranty for RROD even though the original warranty is long gone. The lady who I got first didn't know anything about xboxes so she called over another guy and fortunately not only did he know what the RROD was (it happened to his xbox last week) he confirmed that I had everything that had come in the original bundle (forza+ultimate alliance extra controller and carge and play) because he had owned the same bundle. Awesome. I get back to gaming quicker and I don't have to deal with crap MS customer service

Thinking of getting the 4GB version as I haven't played RB in over a year and that was the only thing I really used the hard drive for. Any suggestions? I would miss installing games but if the S model is as quite as it is supposed to be that won't be an issue. The other plus would be matte finish as I despise the super shiny "black chrome plastic" look.

Looking forward to my slim :) and not having to wait another 1-2 months to play Reach :D

EDIT: Fuuuuuuuu I am an idiot I left the reach disc INSIDE the xbox

EDIT: Update 2: I called Costoco and they hadn't shipped out the defective box and they went and hooked it up and ejected the disc and got it back to me.

mclaren777

mclaren777 said:
Just to be sure: the three-year RROD warranty doesn't count from when you got the replacement back, only from when your first 360 was purchased?

A direct-from-Microsoft refurb dated 4/6/08 doesn't have coverage until 2011, right?
Can someone please answer this?

Chrange

Banned
No scratches or marks on it. Didn't think to check the manufacture date, but I did notice it was a standard sticker and not a 'service date' one.

Supposedly the guy is going to do something to improve my mood. At this point he has his work cut out for him.

Chrange

Banned
Here's the concession list. Remember this is to make up for the console dying, the repair place fucking up, lying about it, fucking up again, the '24-48 hour call' not happening within five days, and the expedited same-day-I-ship shipping not being expedited OR shipped the same day.

Game: Arcade Unplugged
Game: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Game: Cars: Family Hits
Game: Dead or Alive 4
Game: Dead or Alive Xtreme 2
Game: Dead Rising
Game: Elder Scroll Oblivion
Game: Fable II
Game: Final Fantasy XIII
Game: Forza Motorsport 3
Game: Gears of War 2: GOTY
Game: Halo 3
Game: Halo CE/Halo 2/Halo 2 Multiplayer Map Pack
Game: Halo Wars
Game: Halo Wars: Special Edition
Game: Kung Fu Panda/Lego Indiana Jones
Game: Lego Batman/PURE
Game: Lips Party Classics
Game: Lost Odyssey
Game: Madascar Escape From Africa
Game: Mass Effect: Platinum Hits
Game: Modern Warfare 2
Game: Ninja Blade
Game: Ninja Gaiden 2
Game: Open Season
Game: Perfect Dark Zero
Game: Project Gotham Racing 4
Game: Shadowrun
Game: Viva Pinata: Trouble In Paradise
Game: WWE Smackddown

Xbox 360S Wireless Controller and Play & Charge Kit
Xbox 360 Wireless Headset

Alternatively, you may also elect to receive a complimentary 1 yr of gold membership if none of the items suit you.

:lol

Edit - oh yeah, I forgot. I can ask for one item from that list.

One.

Chrange

Banned
Spent a few days thinking about what to say in response to that ridiculous list and just sent off an e-mail that expresses...let's say discontent...with the amazing list of games from 2005/2006 that I had to choose from.

Nessus

So it would appear the Xbox 360-S has the exact same problem that the original 360 had. They haven't fixed anything.

In 20 years of playing video games I have never encountered such a shoddy, piece of shit hardware console ever being released before. Congratulations Microsoft: you've managed to make something even less reliable than the PS2.

And then, when you were given a chance to fix things with a complete hardware revision and miraculously you still manage to fuck that up.

I'll say this one more time: the "failure rate" of the Xbox 360 is not simply a percentage of defective units but a systemic, universal flaw inherent to the hardware itself and, as a result, all 360s will fail eventually.

I firmly believe this. From everything I've seen, to every single friend I know with a 360 having had at least one of their consoles die on them, many who are on their 3rd and 4th console.

To be clear: my brand new, 4 month old, barely-played Xbox 360 "S" model just died. There was a reason I waited 5 years before buying an Xbox 360. I was hoping they'd fixed this bullshit.

They haven't.

360-1.jpg

360-2.jpg

360-3.jpg

360-4.jpg

360-5.jpg

360-6.jpg

360-7.jpg

Nessus said:
So it would appear the Xbox 360-S has the exact same problem that the original 360 had. They haven't fixed anything.

In 20 years of playing video games I have never encountered such a shoddy, piece of shit hardware console ever being released before. Congratulations Microsoft: you've managed to make something even less reliable than the PS2.

And then, when you were given a chance to fix things with a complete hardware revision and miraculously you still manage to fuck that up.

I'll say this one more time: the "failure rate" of the Xbox 360 is not simply a percentage of defective units but a systemic, universal flaw inherent to the hardware itself and, as a result, all 360s will fail eventually.

I firmly believe this. From everything I've seen, to every single friend I know with a 360 having had at least one of their consoles die on them, many who are on their 3rd and 4th console.
That sucks dude. That being said, I know for sure the Jaspers did NOT have this issue. There were a few third party repair shops which said the Jaspers were more reliable than PS3s or Wiis. I do wonder how widespread this Xbox 360 S problem is. I mean, there are people on here who've also had their PS3 die, but that doesn't mean its a big issue.

After letting the thing lie down in a comatose state for maybe a couple months, I finally reached MS support line to send it in. It's my third 360 now, this one well out of the 3 year warranty, so I had to pay for an extended one. Just got the email from UPS and will be sending it in tomorrow or wednesday.

Patryn

So long ago I bought a 360 Pro. It was around when Bioshock came out and I was paranoid about the thing for forever. I abused the hell out of that system, accidentally leaving it on for forever, leaving it in a tight bookshelf. Never a single problem.

So fast forward to this year. I get a 360 slim for my birthday in late September. It's a great thing.

Today I pick up New Vegas. I get home from work, turn on the 360, download my bonus content, and start a disc install. I leave the room to take care of a couple things during the process.

Come back to find the 360 off. I think that's weird, so I turn it back on to find a message alerting me that it turned itself off because it wasn't getting enough ventilation. I think that's weird, check the vents, and restart the installation. The console shuts itself down after five minutes. I turn it and on its side and try again, again after about 5 minutes, it shuts down.

I spend the next 20 minutes trying various positions with the same result. I ended up trying the console in the middle of the floor with nothing surrounding it.

Still shuts down after five minutes.

So basically, I had the most error prone console for forever with no issues. I get the new and improved one and it's dead within a month.

Had my 360 since launch (yeah...) and it finally shit out. Three rings of death...

What options do I have? Don't have a warranty through the store I got it from. Will Microsoft fix my Xbox? They fucking should, way to make a piece of shit... (if you can't tell I'm frustrated. haha)

If Microsoft won't fix my Xbox, are there any DIY tricks to fix it? I don't have money to buy a new one. My buddy told me to check out the "penny fix"

nib95

Banned
Dammit my 3rd just died (Falcon Elite). Mid way through Red Dead As Well. Thing is, I don't actually have the RRoD. It has just consecutively started crashing more and more. At first I'd get an hour or so before a crash, then 20 mins, then 10, and now it pretty much crashes a few minutes in to any game or just regular menu browsing.

God knows what's up. But it's frustrating. I did get weird artifacts playing RDR the other day followed by a freeze, so I assume it's GPU related?

Weird RRoD hasn't popped up yet...

Such a shitty console in terms of reliability.

apocalidiot said:
Had my 360 since launch (yeah...) and it finally shit out. Three rings of death...

What options do I have? Don't have a warranty through the store I got it from. Will Microsoft fix my Xbox? They fucking should, way to make a piece of shit... (if you can't tell I'm frustrated. haha)

If Microsoft won't fix my Xbox, are there any DIY tricks to fix it? I don't have money to buy a new one. My buddy told me to check out the "penny fix"

They won't fix it because it's been over 3 years. The DIY tricks don't permanently fix it. It'll end up breaking again in a few months.

Apparently you didn't get a piece of shit because yours lasted almost 5 years.

drewd420

Neo Member
nib95 said:
Dammit my 3rd just died (Falcon Elite). Mid way through Red Dead As Well. Thing is, I don't actually have the RRoD. It has just consecutively started crashing more and more. At first I'd get an hour or so before a crash, then 20 mins, then 10, and now it pretty much crashes a few minutes in to any game or just regular menu browsing.

God knows what's up. But it's frustrating. I did get weird artifacts playing RDR the other day followed by a freeze, so I assume it's GPU related?

Weird RRoD hasn't popped up yet...

Such a shitty console in terms of reliability.

I had the same issue, I explained to the MS support that it RR after 3-4 hours of game-play consecutively, (even though it was only crashing, not getting RROD). They still replaced it under the modified warranty. I figured no MS Repair tech was going to spend 3-4 hours confirming the console was getting RROD. Was about 2 months away from the 3 year warranty expiring anyway.

Guys so basically today my jasper model decides not to work all of a sudden. NO RED LIGHTS just no audio, no Video and the controller will not sync. Everything else seems normal. Green light and everything.

Any ideas? GPU fried?

madmook

Had a replacement rrod on me, would like to continue using the 120gb harddrive, anywhere to buy an Arcade Jasper unit new? Looks like most stores/sites are showing not in stock, will I have to resort to ebay or has anyone seen some of these still lyin around in stores?

Chrange

Banned
madmook said:
Had a replacement rrod on me, would like to continue using the 120gb harddrive, anywhere to buy an Arcade Jasper unit new? Looks like most stores/sites are showing not in stock, will I have to resort to ebay or has anyone seen some of these still lyin around in stores?
Get a slim version and just crack open your HDD case to use that one. Easy to do, from what I've seen. There are third party cases that apparently work as well.

Nessus said:

To be clear: my brand new, 4 month old, barely-played Xbox 360 "S" model just died. There was a reason I waited 5 years before buying an Xbox 360. I was hoping they'd fixed this bullshit.

They haven't.

http://www.slolum.com/jpg/360-1.jpg[/IG]
[IMG]http://www.slolum.com/jpg/360-2.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://www.slolum.com/jpg/360-3.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://www.slolum.com/jpg/360-4.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://www.slolum.com/jpg/360-5.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://www.slolum.com/jpg/360-6.jpg[/MG]
[IMG]http://www.slolum.com/jpg/360-7.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
newsflash: electronics die. there is no way to solve "death". you can midigate it, but there is no such thing as a perfect device or perfect silicon. all of your electronics will eventually die. the goal in manufacturing is to make sure they, on average, last a long time. you got a dud. get it replaced and move on.

filipe

I hasn't been using my 360 very often these past months mostly because I built a PC that could handle anything I personally needed. I went to buy Super Meat Boy yesterday 'cause I keep hearing it's an amazing game (later trying it, yup, it is) and upon pressing Play, red ring. I've had this Xbox since launch. Surprised it's lasted this long.

Kabuki Waq said:
Guys so basically today my jasper model decides not to work all of a sudden. NO RED LIGHTS just no audio, no Video and the controller will not sync. Everything else seems normal. Green light and everything.

Any ideas? GPU fried?

UPDATE: so i tried a new power supply and it seems to work. Only problem is that I already had called MS and they are providing me with a shipping label. Would it be too douchy not to send the 360 in now?

DonMigs85

Kabuki Waq said:
UPDATE: so i tried a new power supply and it seems to work. Only problem is that I already had called MS and they are providing me with a shipping label. Would it be too douchy not to send the 360 in now?
Don't send it in but keep the label anyway in case it really fails in the future.

Leonsito

Well, my Xbox just died, I turn it on but I only see the three red lights.

Manufactured date is 2006-02-17 and I bought it on 2007-11-01, so Microsoft is not an option anymore right?

I have bought an insurance for three years so i still have 5 days left, I'll contact them to see what they can do...

If I have to buy a new one, what are the differences between the 4GB and the 250GB aside from the price ? Same internals ?

How do I transfer everything from my 120GB HDD ? Because I suppose I can't buy the 4GB and plug this old HDD on it :(

Leonsito said:
Well, my Xbox just died, I turn it on but I only see the three red lights.

Manufactured date is 2006-02-17 and I bought it on 2007-11-01, so Microsoft is not an option anymore right?

I have bought an insurance for three years so i still have 5 days left, I'll contact them to see what they can do...

If I have to buy a new one, what are the differences between the 4GB and the 250GB aside from the price ? Same internals ?

How do I transfer everything from my 120GB HDD ? Because I suppose I can't buy the 4GB and plug this old HDD on it :(

Assuming you bought the console new, your 3-year warranty expires in 6 days. Better call them NOW.

Leonsito

AnEternalEnigma said:
Assuming you bought the console new, your 3-year warranty expires in 6 days. Better call them NOW.

Those three years are worldwide ? I'm from Spain, I registered my Xbox on the support site and the only thing that I found is that my standar warranty has expired ...

Z_Y

Leonsito said:
Those three years are worldwide ? I'm from Spain, I registered my Xbox on the support site and the only thing that I found is that my standar warranty has expired ...

If you report that you are getting a 3 ring failure it will tell you that you are covered.

I had an interesting week. I had my 20GB launch premium unit red ring on Wednesday of last last week and then had my arcade unit red ring on Saturday. Major bummer as my buddy and I were trying to drunkenly set up DJ Hero 2.

In any event, my arcade was purchased on Nov 30 2007 so I'm golden there. I've actually been secretly hoping I'd get a red ring before the warranty ran out. Getting ready to ship it out tomorrow (they don't supply a coffin anymore?).

The old launch unit though. I did the towell trick to get it up and running temporarily. I'm still debating on if it is even worth it to fix it at this point. The DVD drive is in bad shape on it as well. Some games have a hell of a time loading and installing games takes about twice as long as it did on my arcade. I don't want to dump any money into it. I figured I'd have $20 in parts (hardware and thermal paste) to do the x-clamp removal fix. How permanent is that fix? Keep in mind this was refurbed my MS back in 2006. Would they have already removed the x-clamps?

If it is only going to buy me 6 months or so...then I don't think it is worth the effort for me. I'd rather just sell it as is on ebay and put that money toward an S.

Atomski

I got a ring of death this morning. Went ahead and put in my order for a free repair. I come back after a few hours hit the button one more time before boxing it up.. and its alive. wtf..

undead xbox

Z_Y

Atomski said:
I got a ring of death this morning. Went ahead and put in my order for a free repair. I come back after a few hours hit the button one more time before boxing it up.. and its alive. wtf..

undead xbox

Yea...you'll have that. I think they can determine if it has ever red ringed though. At least I'd hope so...my arcade powered up ok a few times but then eventually went into the light, I suppose.

moonbeam

Recently I had an E74 error. My console was nearly 3 years old. On the plus side, I only had to wait a week to receive a refurb as a replacement. (I'm in Australia BTW.)

A couple of questions:

1. Do the 1 month Gold cards they sent you expire after sometime? (ie do they have to be activated by a certain date?)

2. What exactly is a refurb unit? (What is new/replaced and what is old?) Had a bit of search but couldn't find a definitive answer.

Thanks

expy

Banned
moonbeam said:
A couple of questions:

1. Do the 1 month Gold cards they sent you expire after sometime? (ie do they have to be activated by a certain date?)
Shouldn't expire.

moonbeam said:
2. What exactly is a refurb unit? (What is new/replaced and what is old?) Had a bit of search but couldn't find a definitive answer.
A refurb is a used unit that's been repaired/restored.

moonbeam

expy said:
A refurb is a used unit that's been repaired/restored.
I realise that. I was hoping someone knew a bit more regarding what is replaced in the units. For example, does each refurb unit have a new CPU and GPU? What is it about what they do to the units that makes them less likely to fail than the earlier retail units?

Z_Y

dk_ said:
After the update I have no picture and my Samsung says "Mode not supported". What the fuck?

Help, please!

HDMI or component?

Sounds like your display settings got reset somehow. HDMI should have set both devices to the same rez though...

dk_

Z_Y said:
HDMI or component?

Sounds like your display settings got reset somehow. HDMI should have set both devices to the same rez though...
Component.

After the update I had a flickering picture, so I restarted. Now I can't see anything!

Z_Y

dk_ said:
Component.

After the update I had a flickering picture, so I restarted. Now I can't see anything!

That sounds like a resolution setting. Use the composite video cable (the yellow one) and go to that input on your tv....this will be in SD and will likely cause blindness if you stare too long. So be careful.

Go to the display settings and select the settings that match your display. My guess is that it somehow defaulted to 1080p on your Xbox and your TV can't accept a 1080p signal. Some older 720p TVs are like that. After you've selected the proper settings....switch back to the component input on your TV.

What kind of display do you have? Maybe it is something else.

dk_

I don't have those cables anymore. And my TV supports 1080p (at least till today). :)

Wht the fuck is going on. The support couldn't help me either.

Z_Y

dk_ said:
I don't have those cables anymore. And my TV supports 1080p (at least till today). :)

Wht the fuck is going on. The support couldn't help me either.

Hmm...my 360 component cables have a composite cable on it as well. Oh well..if you have a 1080p set then that isn't the problem anyway.

I don't think this would make a difference but it is worth a shot...does your component cable have a switch for HD or SD? Maybe make sure it is set to HD?

I'm still thinking...

Top Bottom