• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N5-Revolution expected to use cutting edge processor and graphics technology

GigaDrive

Banned
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=3593

Nintendo reveals "Revolution" codename for next-gen console

Rob Fahey 16:38 10/06/2004
Iwata bangs the drum again for innovation over technology

The next-generation home console from Nintendo is codenamed
"Revolution," company president Satoru Iwata has revealed at a
conference in Tokyo where he once again championed the firm's focus on
innovation rather than technology.

The only concrete detail which emerged about "Revolution" at the
conference is the fact that the new device will include the ability to
connect up to PC monitors as well as TV sets, without the need for any
additional hardware.

Beyond that, Iwata kept his talk about the system vague - largely
repeating his own mantra about the need to innovate in the next
generation in order to interest consumers, and the importance of
providing new gameplay rather than just focusing on more advanced
technology.

"However it might have been in the past," he told the audience,
"increased hardware efficiency isn't connected to the consumer's
enjoyment any more" - and went on to say that "in the next generation,
gameplay is what's important."

He presented the Nintendo DS as an example of what he was talking
about, describing it as a device which used technology in new and
exciting ways rather than simply doing the same things on faster
hardware.

"We at Nintendo aren't brushing off the need for high technology," he
said, "but we think there are other ways of taking advantage of it.

The Nintendo DS' double screen or touch sensitive panel isn't
particularly new, but there weren't any other companies that thought
of using them in video game machines."

This way of thinking is being pushed on the GameCube as well - with a
version of Mario Party which will arrive later this year set to eschew
the familiar GameCube controller in favour of an entirely new
interface, which is believed to be a camera similar to the Eye Toy
product for the PS2.

It's on the next-generation "Revolution" console, which has also been
dubbed with the somewhat less pretentious "N5" moniker, that this
innovative approach is expected to really come into its own, however.

"We're thinking of an innovative idea for our next generation console
that's completely different from consoles in the past," Iwata said.
"It will be clearly distinct from the other next-generation consoles
that competing companies will develop. What's important isn't a
next-generation technology, but a next-generation way of playing
games."

Despite the downplaying of the technical capabilities of Revolution,
it's widely expected that the forthcoming device will be based on
cutting edge graphics and processor technology,
and well capable of
holding its own against its rivals in the console market. Processors
based on IBM's Power5 architecture will sit at the heart of the system
- as they will on Xbox 2 - while an ATI graphics solution is believed
to be in development for the console.

yeah baby, more indication that N5 - Revolution is NOT the Xenon-Xbox 2. maybe not proof of that, but certainly an indication. I cannot wait to find out what ATI is cooking up for Nintendo. be it R5xx based or R6xx based. or something completely custom from the ground up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
My favourite Iwata quote regarding all this, that I think best sums up their approach is "Better Technology is good, but it is not enough" (or words to that effect) - which says to me, "yes, we'll have competitive technology, but we're going to use it in new ways/pack in new features". Some people seem to be getting their panties in a twist, but imo, Revolution will hold its own on a more traditional technological footing. I think with GC they have more than proven the value of the "good enough" approach to technology (which has in fact brought us some of the best looking games this gen).

What Gamecube shown is the appoach of maximizing all your components in a console. That is why the Gamecube can compete, and even upstage Xbox games as the PC architechiture is not efficient at all. It's no wonder Microsoft is copying Nintendo's approach next gen.

BuddyC

The only concrete detail which emerged about "Revolution" at the
conference is the fact that the new device will include the ability to
connect up to PC monitors as well as TV sets, without the need for any
additional hardware.

[snip]

...while an ATI graphics solution is believed to be in development for the console.

Seriously, this recycles old news and then goes on to say, "well, we don't know for sure, but that's what the rumors say!"

I think the assumption that a powerful console tech was out of Nintendo reach, because they don't have as much money as MS or Sony is so shortsighted. Spending 1 billion on the Gekko processor, shows Nintendo commitment to powerful technology. The article that appeared a few weeks ago quoting someone from Nintendo that they are spending an extra 100 million or so on R&D for the Revolution is another example. I also remember the comment made Iwata about possibly dipping into their 6 billion cash reserves to assure that their next console will be a success.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't think people doubt Revolution's technical competence because "Nintendo doesn't have the money", but more because what Nintendo has been saying or moreover, suggesting. The funny thing is, Microsoft has been saying many of the same things, but I don't think many doubt that Xenon will be a very powerful piece of kit. I expect Revolution will fall into quite a similar place as GC has - not the most powerful, but very powerful and competitive in its own right.

gofreak said:
I don't think people doubt Revolution's technical competence because "Nintendo doesn't have the money", but more because what Nintendo has been saying or moreover, suggesting. The funny thing is, Microsoft has been saying many of the same things, but I don't think many doubt that Xenon will be a very powerful piece of kit. I expect Revolution will fall into quite a similar place as GC has - not the most powerful, but very powerful and competitive in its own right.

I agree, but money has always been a part of the equation. Nintendo is saying these things because they don't have as much money to match what some think MS is spending, they have no clue at all.

GigaDrive

Banned
the truth is, the Gamecube is more powerful than the PS2 and Xbox in certain areas. likewise, the PS2 is more powerful than the Gamecube and Xbox in some areas also. The Xbox also, is more powerful than the Gamecube and PS2 in still other areas. each of the 3 current consoles has its own strengths and weaknesses. one console does not eclipse the other 2 completely, whereas the Dreamcast killed the PS1 and N64 in every single technical area (ok except the speed of N64's cartridge loading time). but Dreamcast is a generation beyond PS1 and N64, if not a half-gen beyond them.

I sense the next generation consoles will end up much like the current 3 consoles. each 1 will have specific strengths over the other 2, as well as specific weaknessnes. but, i.e., they ALL should be capable of producing hundreds of millions of fully featured polygons a second.

they'll each have something unique as well. especially the Revolution.

Mooreberg

If "Revolution" and "Xenon" are both using components from IBM and ATI, what is the point going to be for many people to buy both? I know two different teams are handling the GPUs within ATI, but I don't see Microsoft settling for the less capable system, even with their renewed focus on keeping costs in line.

Spending money on one IBM/ATI box and then buying another one with fewer capabilities just seems bizzare. Especially since Microsoft is more likely to go for the movie playback, music, and online gaming features that are increasing in popularity (and while the first two may not be "out of the box" they'll be pushing the ability to network the system with a windows media center PC, since that's still central to their overall plan).

Bowser

GuntherBait said:
As it should ;)

What's even better is she listens to Kanye West and N.E.R.D.!

(Yes, I watched MTV Diary on Lindsay Lohan...she's so hot...*drool*)

Oh, um, yeah, next gen Nintendo stuff...yeah, that's cool.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Mooreberg said:
If "Revolution" and "Xenon" are both using components from IBM and ATI, what is the point going to be for many people to buy both?
Because one will play Nintendo games and the other will play Microsoft games?

GigaDrive

Banned
If "Revolution" and "Xenon" are both using components from IBM and ATI, what is the point going to be for many people to buy both?

because the IBM CPUs and ATI VPUs in each console will be, at the very least, somewhat different architectures, if not completely different (i.e. Radeon R5xx vs Radeon R6xx, or Flipper2 vs Radeon R6xx). Xenon will not play Gamecube or Revolution games. Revolution will not play Xenon games.

jarrod

Banned
Mooreberg said:
I know two different teams are handling the GPUs within ATI, but I don't see Microsoft settling for the less capable system, even with their renewed focus on keeping costs in line.
I think with Xenon launching ayear earlier, Microsoft won't have much choice in the matter. Which is why they've starting pushing XNA and the new mantra of software over hardware...

www.gamespot.com

Iwata outlines Nintendo's next-gen strategy in Tokyo

Nintendo's president says innovation is the key to success in the game industry, but reveals few details about the "Revolution" console.

See it » TOKYO--At Nintendo's annual corporate strategy conference today, company president Satoru Iwata briefed the press on the current status of the gaming market. Besides revealing the code name of Nintendo's next console--"Revolution"--which will be unveiled at the 2005 E3, he explained Nintendo's philosophy toward game development in detail.

Explaining Japan's video game market downturn, Iwata pointed out the flaws of the gaming market's success formula. While pointing out that the American game market is starting to suffer a similar decline, Iwata said he sees innovation--a word often repeated by Nintendo--as the solution. "The video game market (in Japan) has been shrinking since 1997," he said. "There have been a number of reasons given for it, such as the low birthrate, emergence of the used game market, and the growing use of mobile phones. But that's not enough to explain everything. Games have really gone through an amazing evolution since the Famicom era, and with it, games have gotten more complex and high tech in order to meet the demands of gamers." Iwata then pointed out his belief that increasing games' complexity is not increasing sales. "Casual gamers are starting to drift away from games, and people who used to purchase a lot of games a decade or two ago are no longer doing so at the same rate."

Iwata then outlined Nintendo's stance toward game innovation. He explained that games oriented toward veteran gamers cannot be played by new gamers, but games oriented toward gaming novices won't satisfy the hardcore element. “So what we needed was to find a way to make everyone start off from the same point, like back when the Famicom made its launch and everyone touched the controller pad for the first time," he said. "That's the concept behind the Nintendo DS. Its touch-sensitive panel and voice recognition capability will offer a wide range of experiences that will be new for both beginners and hardcore gamers."

Iwata explained that the company is also looking into creating new ways of gameplay on existing consoles. The president revealed that a Mario Party sequel that doesn't require the use of controllers is currently under development, although no details were discussed during the conference. "The Mario Party series was known to have a low learning curve, but that still didn't mean that every member of a family could enjoy the game. So, we're going to take on a new challenge, and make the game playable for even people that can’t handle the controllers," commented Iwata. His comments lend credence to rumors that the Mario Party sequel may use an EyeToy-like camera peripheral. Nintendo recently filed trademarks for two camera-related game products called "Manebito/Camera" and "Ningen-Copy/Manebito."

Iwata also revealed that Nintendo's next-generation game console is currently in development under the project code name "Revolution." The only specific detail he did divulge is that the machine will be able to hook up to a PC monitor as well as to a traditional TV. Iwata did hint that the machine will be taking a different path than that of Microsoft's Xbox Next and Sony's PlayStation 3. "We're thinking of an innovative idea for our next-generation console that's completely different from consoles in the past," commented Iwata. "It will be clearly distinct from the other next-generation consoles that competing companies will develop. What's important isn't a next-generation technology, but a next-generation way in playing games." The Revolution will be unveiled at next year's E3 expo in Los Angeles.

However, Iwata also stressed that Nintendo doesn't see hardware innovation as unnecessary. "We at Nintendo aren't brushing off the need for high technology, but we think that there are other ways of taking advantage of it," commented Iwata. "The Nintendo DS's double screen or touch-sensitive panel isn't particularly new, but there weren't any other companies that thought of using them in video game machines."

In a related note, Iwata commented that Nintendo might possibly acquire additional stocks from its partner Bandai, although there are no specific plans to do so at the current time. Contrary to analyst speculations, Iwata stated that Nintendo has no plans to buy out Bandai. Last September, Nintendo acquired 2.6 percent of Bandai’s shares to become the ninth-ranking top shareholder of the company.

Norse

GigaDrive said:
BOMB BOMB ^__^

once again, Revolution aint Xbox Next.

Of course not...it will be a peripheral that plugs inbetween the xenon or ps3, and a computer monitor. It will have mouse and keyboard attached and allow for other (drums, cooka rahchas), etc to be plugged in.

Why build a console when you could just make games and peripherals for the other two platforms?

Of course I am kidding about all of this.

shhhh!

-Norse

GigaDrive said:
BOMB BOMB ^__^

once again, Revolution aint Xbox Next.

"However, Iwata also stressed that Nintendo doesn't see hardware innovation as unnecessary. "We at Nintendo aren't brushing off the need for high technology, but we think that there are other ways of taking advantage of it,"

Not only it might be but it will probably have more stuff which is the innovation part...

Chony

Cant wait until 2007.

I really hope there are cross releases between Xenon and Revolution, meaning that a single disc could be played on both systems. But then people couldnt complain about sales unless everyone registered their game online.

Norse

Gunsmoke said:
Wrong gameindustrybiz that wasn't revealed by iwata.
There was no confirmation that you will not need any additional hardware.
Perhaps it's like Dreamcast, with a vgabox, perhaps not.
But there was no confirmation, that is strictly speculation.

[/waves fist]

you guys are always looking ahead, yet you still think of old technology.

vga box. bah

Every nextgen system come 2006 better have a DVI port. That is the single port that connects to all new lcd displays for computers, and all of the new hdtvs have, or are getting them.

Every new video card for your pc will have them as well. Some already do. But they will be the norm from now on. Hell, even the new displays from Apple are rumored to be going DVI only.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Mooreberg said:
If "Revolution" and "Xenon" are both using components from IBM and ATI, what is the point going to be for many people to buy both? I know two different teams are handling the GPUs within ATI, but I don't see Microsoft settling for the less capable system, even with their renewed focus on keeping costs in line.

Spending money on one IBM/ATI box and then buying another one with fewer capabilities just seems bizzare. Especially since Microsoft is more likely to go for the movie playback, music, and online gaming features that are increasing in popularity (and while the first two may not be "out of the box" they'll be pushing the ability to network the system with a windows media center PC, since that's still central to their overall plan).

Mooreberg, without one team knowing what specific architecture, shader numbers, configurations, & customized technical additions the other is designing GPU-wise, (NDAs) MS cannot manipulate the outcome of this. Or which one is "superior" to the other for that matter. If the ATi California division creates a more proficient GPU, so be it. All signs point to no HD for the Xenon, nor will it be a "set-top" box either. (no TiVo, no AOD or Blu-ray compatibility etc. due to costs) Why the "software over hardware" stance they've been taking so strongly lately? Because they know how evenly the Xenon & the Revolution will be matched, & that they cannot, or more aptly will not match Sony's Cell R&D. Enter the XNA initiative.

Oh I think perceived superiority of the the graphics chips designs will be fairly clear cut. ATI will let them know how much its going to cost and that will determine, in large part, the capability of the end product. I can't see MS not getting the more powerful design.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
Wrong gameindustrybiz that wasn't revealed by iwata.
There was no confirmation that you will not need any additional hardware.
Perhaps it's like Dreamcast, with a vgabox, perhaps not.
But there was no confirmation, that is strictly speculation.

[/waves fist]

So he's going to "reveal" at a conference a feature available via peripherals for many years now GS? Unlikely.

[waves fist in return]

jarrod

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Oh I think perceived superiority of the the graphics chips designs will be fairly clear cut. ATI will let them know how much its going to cost and that will determine, in large part, the capability of the end product. I can't see MS not getting the more powerful design.
Remember, it suddenly software not not hardware... XNA... year early advantage. Mircosoft's already laid the seeds...

Li Mu Bai

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:

Launching almost a year prior? I can. Also you cannot presume to know what the budget is for Xenon MH, nor Revolution. Xenon's budget is clearly not illimitable, as people are now beginning to realize.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>the truth is, the Gamecube is more powerful than the PS2 and Xbox in certain areas. likewise, the PS2 is more powerful than the Gamecube and Xbox in some areas also.<<<

I'll take "Popular Misconceptions" for $100, Alex.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
TAJ said:
>>>the truth is, the Gamecube is more powerful than the PS2 and Xbox in certain areas. likewise, the PS2 is more powerful than the Gamecube and Xbox in some areas also.<<<

Uh, please tell me whats wrong with that statement.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
TAJ said:

I'll also take it that you haven't studied, or understood each consoles' architecture intimately TAJ.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
Xenon and Rev won't be evenly matched.
Rev has all it's famous Nintendo franchaises to keep it going.
Hardware wise, yes I'd say so.

Okay GS, or should I refer to you as Ms. Cleo now? D. Baumann over at B3D already confirmed that both will be utilizing DX9, or in the Revolution's case DX9 level effects. It may be that the Xenon will have the overall more powerful GPU, but if so it will not be by much. And efficiency must always be taken into account.

Sho Nuff

Banned
The Gamecube has infinitely more power than the Xbox. Especially when it comes to completely sucking.

triumph_headbb.jpg

I keed! I keed!

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Gunsmoke said:
Don't get the Ms. Cleo joke.

You ended up talking about the 'power' of the Xenon GPU.

I made comments in reference to software.
I already agreed that hardware wise they will be pretty much evenly matched.

Wait, so software-wise they won't? I'm confused. Ms. Cleo was the supposed jamaican fortune-teller with a toll phone in line. Are you american? If not disregard it.

Li Mu Bai said:
Launching almost a year prior? I can. Also you cannot presume to know what the budget is for Xenon MH, nor Revolution. Xenon's budget is clearly not illimitable, as people are now beginning to realize.

Who says it's launching a year prior? Who's presuming? Budgets won't be made known to the average gamer until they're both on the market, I'd guess. I don't see the new MS machine having something 'lesser' than the new Nintendo one.

jarrod

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
Who says it's launching a year prior? Who's presuming?
The development community.

MightyHedgehog said:
Budgets won't be made known to the average gamer until they're both on the market, I'd guess. I don't see the new MS machine having something 'lesser' than the new Nintendo one.
Why not exactly? We know it's coming sooner.... Microsoft's sudden PR shift towards software/XNA.... concern over reaching profitability.... what's wrong? Can't you add?

That's only enough information to add up to slightly-informed speculation as to what their final product will be. I'm not about to assume anything is factual but the most basic information based on what has been confirmed and what the previous actions of both companies amount to. That said, there is little that is confirmed.

jarrod

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
That's only enough information to add up to slightly-informed speculation as to what their final product will be. I'm not about to assume anything is factual but the most basic information based on what has been confirmed and what the previous actions of both companies amount to. That said, there is little that is confirmed.
So you'd simply rather look at past trends and ignore what developers and Microsoft themselves are saying when making your own assumptions? Is that what you're saying?

Why don't you just enlighten me as to what you know is true for the next MS machine then, Jarrod? Maybe I'm not all that up on these things.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
Good points as always jarrod. Some X-drones simply cannot fathom Xenon being on par with Revolution, or even worse yet, the weakest of the 3. MH, Xenon doesn't have the same carte blanche monetarily as it did before. Their primary specs. are very close to, or have already reached finalization. DX10 isn't in the cards, nor is Longhorn. (pushed back) Read the handwriting upon the wall. All current systems even possess certain technical advantages over the other, *shock & awe.*

Could someone please list the facts about the new systems? I'm not arguing with anyone here. I'm simply stating my take on things...as I see others doing the same.

Li Mu Bai

Banned
I don't see the new MS machine having something 'lesser' than the new Nintendo one.

But you can easily see the Revolution launching with much "less" than the Xenon can't you? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Li Mu Bai said:
But you can easily see the Revolution launching with much "less" than the Xenon can't you? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You really need your old tag back. ;P Who said "much less"? I said lesser than. That's my take, based on what I feel the companies are likely to do.

Top Bottom