• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N5-Revolution expected to use cutting edge processor and graphics technology

Akira

DrGAKMAN said:
That being said (and apply what Mr. Iwata has been saying for a while) specs don't matter past bragging rights *cough*X-BOTS*cough*. Besides, I can see PLENTY of casuals actually believing that the next X-BOX is more powerful, despite launching up to a year before the competition *cough*DreamCast*cough*. This is a good thing for MS's image in the short run (before PS3 launches), but in the long run they have LOST one of thier major advantages for garnering more support/fans 'cos they LOSE the power edge *cough*SonySaysThanks*cough*.

You need a cough drop, man? :D

And Duckhuntdog, you're only repeating what J. Allard has already said. The specs are "locked", but may be modified.

Norse said:
I wouldnt take the news of a 2005 launch to heart just yet...a lot of things can change if xbox has a great 2004. If sales of xbox start to challenge ps2 sales in the US and UK, and software sales do the same, why wouldnt MS just wait and launch in 2006...maybe a month or 2 before the others?

Even if the specs of the next xbox are finalized(per CVG), that doesnt mean its completely finalized. The gpu and cpu speeds could still change before its truely finalized.

Will it make much difference which machine is more powerful next gen? Maybe, but i think they will all be so close, the games will look and play the same on all 3.

Lastly, I don't think MS would launch a year earlier than the others without have the specs to be at least equal in power.

I still think it would be better to have consoles sold by multiple companies with the same chipsets. Like a pc...how many of us have the same pc model? We still play the same games on them. Some just have a better sound/video setup. But they still run the games. Xbox is just a pc in a smaller box. All the same chipset so its easier to get more power from it.

What if there were 3 consoles by the same manufacturer that all had the same basic specs? Only difference was price, and speed of cpu and video chip? That way, Madden football would play the same on all three...but the people that own HDTV's per say would buy the top model and Madden football would then have an option for 1080i mode? The middle console would top at 720p or so...game would play just as smoothe on the low end model but only support 480i as regular tv owners would buy it.

/shrug There are all sorts of things that could change down the road. Heck, with the above idea, you could go three console generations and still be able to play your old games just like on a pc. No emulator would be needed.

oh, XNA is good. Anything to help devs is good. Doesnt matter who the tools come from as long as they work across platforms.

One thing your missing is MS isn't making any profits off the Xbox, and may be looking to end the life cycle so they can begin the new business model.

Norse

OG_Original Gamer said:
One thing your missing is MS isn't making any profits off the Xbox, and may be looking to end the life cycle so they can begin the new business model.

The latter part of a life cycle is when they make all the money back that they lost from launch(least thats how these companies plan things)....another good reason to delay. Especially if it is performing well.

jarrod

Banned
Norse said:
The latter part of a life cycle is when they make all the money back that they lost from launch(least thats how these companies plan things)....another good reason to delay. Especially if it is performing well.
Usually, but then again, XBox wasn't designed with the ultimate goal of profitability but rather marketshare. And the truth is, it hasn't done too great eating marketshare either... hence Xenon's cleaner, efficent, eventual-returns minded architecture. Besides, from what I understand Microsoft's still taking losses on hardware 3 years in... just because Sony plans upfront losses with huge returns later doesn't mean that plan applies to every platform.

Akira said:
You need a cough drop, man? :D

And Duckhuntdog, you're only repeating what J. Allard has already said. The specs are "locked", but may be modified.

When your system is going to launch in about a year from now, you tend to lock down features right about now, :)

DrGAKMAN

Banned
The stupid thread where X-BOX fans are in denial that (since the next X-BOX's specs are likely locked down now) the next X-BOX will be the least powerful of the three next-gen systems?

Or the stupid thread where X-BOX fans are clamoring to hear that the "Revolution" will be under-powered?

JK

Whoever still believes the X2 will be more powerful than the Revolution, what are smoking, and where can I get it?

Powerwise:

Revolution>Xenon

Where PS3 fits into all of this, I haven't a clue, but I do know it will also be more powerful than Xenon.

Gorgie said:
Whoever still believes the X2 will be more powerful than the Revolution, what are smoking, and where can I get it?

Powerwise:

Revolution>Xenon

Where PS3 fits into all of this, I haven't a clue, but I do know it will also be more powerful than Xenon.
IMO, it'll probably be this way:
CPU power:
PS3>Xenon>>Revolution
Graphics power
Xenon=PS3>Revolution

LMB, no, I'm guessing based on what I think the final systems will turn out to be.

MS is releasing an incredibly powerful system with an incredibly powerful ATI solution and a shit-load of CPU-power that should make the most of the high-end gaming rigs cry for the next 3-4 years. However, PS3 will no doubt be the most powerful in CPU power among the three, if it turns out to mirror the hype. And no doubt, Sony will have a very powerful GPU design...but, perhaps, not quite as powerful as the solution that MS and, to a lesser extent, as feature-rich as the Revolution's, thanks to ATI's unsurpassed expertise in the field. Nintendo will probably have a fast dual-core custom PowerPC CPU and a competitive ATI solution. I believe that the chief 'Revolutionary' element of the system will be in the form of a more costly-standard input device. This extra cost will push down the amount Nintendo is willing to put into the CPU and GPU. Iwata's own statements seem to strongly imply that their system will not compete in the extreme CPU/GPU-power race between MS and Sony and, instead, provide a new way of playing games...

Vieo

If you can truly connect this thing to PC monitors hassle free right out the box, I'm buying one. If it does this and it's backwards compatible, I'm buying one at launch with all the resident evil games. =D

"CPU power:
PS3>Xenon>>Revolution
Graphics power
Xenon=PS3>Revolution"

Don't count on that. Kaz Hirai said at E3 that they see no point in releasing the PS3 till they can make sure it's as much of a step up over the PS2 as the PS2 was to the PSone. This is why they're looking into extending the PS2 past the typical 5 year system cycle. They're planning on making the PS3 a monster when it comes to graphics.

Yeah, well, Sony disappointed a bit with the PS2, as far as the kind of visuals built-in right outta the box... Then again, the complexity and certain shortcomings of the hardware may have had a hand in the lack of early utilization of the system's potential more than other systems.

What exactly did they disappoint on? They delivered those tech demo graphics in actual games despite people saying that the PS2 would never be able to achieve that. Sure only a few developers can pull it off, but the system was still capable of all that.

Deg

Banned
Most obvious news i've heard in ages. Nintendo always have powerful hardware and are never the weakest in home consoles. Revolution may be the most powerful but it also may come out last.

Top Bottom