• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAtURAL DOCtRINE Import |OT| - GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!

this game is looking good.

Its kinda disheartening to hear people don't think this game is "PS4 worthy" whatever the hell that means. Its a goddamn srpg.

Anyways, has there been any Vita impressions yet? native res/ decent framerate?

I like the idea of this being hard, but it does seem really slow. Also, that's one chunky, busy ass HUD, good lord, can hardly tell there's a game going on in the middle there somewhere.

I guess I can see where some people might be thinking this would be like Valkyria Chronicles, but the level design in these videos doesn't look anywhere near as interesting. Line of sight stuff seems like a fun aspect. That game over was funny as hell.

Itsuki

I'm looking forward to play the game even if it's a kusoge. I like hard SRPG and when I play a Fire Emblem game, I always reset when a character dies.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I'm looking forward to play the game even if it's a kusoge. I like hard SRPG and when I play a Fire Emblem game, I always reset when a character dies.

its not a kusoge its a mazoge (masochist game)

A kusoge is what ryouga sacrificed himself to, therefore saving the rest of GAF.

I like the idea of this being hard, but it does seem really slow. Also, that's one chunky, busy ass HUD, good lord, can hardly tell there's a game going on in the middle there somewhere.

I guess I can see where some people might be thinking this would be like Valkyria Chronicles, but the level design in these videos doesn't look anywhere near as interesting. Line of sight stuff seems like a fun aspect. That game over was funny as hell.

busy ass hud? No idea what you were watching as all the data is relevant to what goes on. Side is the data, upper is the turn order and under that is commands for your characters. There hardly is anything on the screen. You want a busy ass hud that gets in the fucking way thats Lightning Returns.

this game is looking good.

Its kinda disheartening to hear people don't think this game is "PS4 worthy" whatever the hell that means. Its a goddamn srpg.

Anyways, has there been any Vita impressions yet? native res/ decent framerate?

I was playing the Vita version on the train this morning after transferring the PS4 data over. Real easy to do and takes not more than a minute if you have both devices on. Looks just fine and personally I dont pay attention to things like exact framerates as long as its not a slideshow I could care less, so im not the best person to ask about things like that. But it runs similar to the console version and its not like the game is exactly taxing on the system. If you are interested in the Vita version Id say its worth getting as plays just the same.

busy ass hud? No idea what you were watching as all the data is relevant to what goes on. Side is the data, upper is the turn order and under that is commands for your characters. There hardly is anything on the screen. You want a busy ass hud that gets in the fucking way thats Lightning Returns.

Well yeah I understood what it was showing and no doubt that's all relevant, but you don't think the icons and text are huge and eat up half the screen? Just seems like they could accomplish what they need to without using so much real estate. This is the PS4 version I'm watching in your videos right? I can understand the shit being so big if it was on Vita.

Despera

Banned
I remember reading about this game a while ago. Looks interesting and the graphics don't bother me one bit.

Awaiting your impressions after you've spent some time with the game, Parakeetman.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Too bad about those generic anime trope characters. Can't stand that stuff anymore.

Gameplay looks interesting, though.

Parakeetman

Is this an actual term? I should change my name to Mazoge Z, I platinumed that crap

No it seriously is a term here in Japan. From Software is known as the mazoge maker ever since the Kings Field days. Along with other titles out there. Wizardry is also considered to be a mazoge for example. Other references that people may be able to relate with more is like the original Ghosts N Goblins & Spelunker

Laughed my ass off at this particular quote some Japanese blog post said.

"ファミコンはマゾゲーの宝庫 "

"Famicon is a mazoge- treasury."

damned right it is lol so much of that shit was only play tested by the maniacs who made it with how hard some of those games were back in the days. Good times. In the US Battletoads most def goes into the mazoge- category. Even the old school Japanese gamers call it that when bringing up foreign titles on the famicon.

Well yeah I understood what it was showing and no doubt that's all relevant, but you don't think the icons and text are huge and eat up half the screen? Just seems like they could accomplish what they need to without using so much real estate. This is the PS4 version I'm watching in your videos right? I can understand the shit being so big if it was on Vita.

Yeah its the PS4 version. Its not that big really and hardly bothered me at all. So not quite too sure what the issue is.

I remember reading about this game a while ago. Looks interesting and the graphics don't bother me one bit.

Awaiting your impressions after you've spent some time with the game, Parakeetman.

Grabbing a coffee first then will be transferring data back to the PS4 to play more and record new footage.

ranmafan

Well I got my copy of the omichidashi pack yesterday and have put a little time into the game. Wow, no joke this is quite a challenge. The game never let's up even on the first dungeon! It's making me rethink my usual strategies in playing an srpg. Im finding I need to be more careful so far in this game in regards to my players movement. I'm really liking it so far. Haven't tried the vita version yet but the ps4 one is nice. Still I can see where people will complain about the graphics. Personally I like them. So far though just an hour in I'm so glad i bought this one.

Parakeetman

Well I got my copy of the omichidashi pack yesterday and have put a little time into the game. Wow, no joke this is quite a challenge. The game never let's up even on the first dungeon! It's making me rethink my usual strategies in playing an srpg. Im finding I need to be more careful so far in this game in regards to my players movement. I'm really liking it so far. Haven't tried the vita version yet but the ps4 one is nice. Still I can see where people will complain about the graphics. Personally I like them. So far though just an hour in I'm so glad i bought this one.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it so far! Do agree its something unique and readjusts the way players think most def. But its doing so in a positive way as it teaches you to put a lot more thought into your actions rather than just trying to rush & roflstomp everything.

Do think that a very important system with the game also is how when you or an enemy occupy a "space" it becomes impassable for the other faction. At least for now with the units available. When keeping that in mind its a good way to have one unit be semi sacrificed by having to take damage but kept in a defensive stance to help ease that to block the enemy from moving in a different direction and flank the party.

So is this game really the Dark Souls of SRPGs?

I generally tend to stay away from comparisons like that due to difficult games have existed far before Dark Souls. If anything the Souls series is just going off of the old school type of game design that throws the player to the lions and says figure shit out yourself. Its the standard From Software MO for their games.

But yes the game is difficult and you do get punished for not using your head. Though another part of the difficulty comes from the "invisible" percentages going on in the background which can cause maddening situations like the enemy blocks / parries / dodges 90% of your attacks. Yesterday on the train a goblin did the exact thing to 8 of my attacks in a row. So folks will need to keep in mind they will always be a bit of bullshit that goes on due to that, but at the same time ads a bit of realism in the sense of nothing goes as planned. Maddening as that may be lol.

*edit
You can check the what your chances will be against said target when you move the cursor over it though that shows general things like damage output, chance to hit, chance to crit, chance to be blocked. I forgot if there was a chance to be dodged / parried on there too.

ranmafan

Glad to hear you are enjoying it so far! Do agree its something unique and readjusts the way players think most def. But its doing so in a positive way as it teaches you to put a lot more thought into your actions rather than just trying to rush & roflstomp everything.

Absolutely that's how I feel too. For me so far it's like demons souls in that regard in that I had the same feeling and adjustment period in my gameplay. The game is doing a great job in teaching me my errors in my strategies. I really like games that do that, cause for me while the game is quite hard, because it's teaching me to be better, I'm not frustrated so much when I lose. Instead I'm more motivated to try again. But yeah brutal game but a ton of fun so far!

Parakeetman

Absolutely that's how I feel too. For me so far it's like demons souls in that regard in that I had the same feeling and adjustment period in my gameplay. The game is doing a great job in teaching me my errors in my strategies. I really like games that do that, cause for me while the game is quite hard, because it's teaching me to be better, I'm not frustrated so much when I lose. Instead I'm more motivated to try again. But yeah brutal game but a ton of fun so far!

The best "demotivational poster" that explains this game. Not to mention what happened to me in the very last video I had posted...

KFouPGA.png

Also for those who have the PS4 game I hope you didnt update to 1.01. What I heard from a friend at the workplace is that the last patch they pushed out kinda screwed things up so messes with save data. By now they should have pulled the bad patch, but just in case beware for anyone who updated yesterday. 1.01 was the bad version.

Ok just checked the main HP and they said they have stopped the latest patch, but at the same time ask folks not to try and use the online mode until the new patch is out.

For those that can read Japanese heres the full details on it.

http://www.n-doctrine.com/information/support_txt.php?id=2

--

On another positive note with the game itself, you can replay stages which also includes gaining items from the treasure boxes within. Which the rewards inside seem to be random from a set pool for said stage. So helps to level up a little too, but with that being said Ill have to pay attention if the enemies will also level along with the player in terms of scaling. Though it does not allow you to do it like constantly as the stage will turn neutral again after clearing it once. But they seem to become highlighted, which means you can try a run again on it after a story mission?

*Edit CnP of the double post below.

This is heartening. I actually really like the graphical style, and I'm quite psyched that NISA is bringing this over.

Always appreciate your impressions on J-games, Mr. Parakeet. (Even if I'm ignoring you and buying MIND≒0 anyway, lolz.)

Sorry for the late reply on this, I only really slam games hard if they deserve it. That and since money is an important thing for all GAF users from various walks of life no need to have other people get hyped up from marketing BS only to be let down with a poorly made game. Which is where I come in on occasion with more obscure import titles.

People are free to buy whatever they want, but dont say I didnt warn you lol.

Parakeetman

*Apologies on the double post. D:

Anyways might as well leave some useful info here. Added the official trailers that have been released so far to the OP. As usual click on the images to watch the trailers on youtube.

Parakeetman

It's not an issue. Just an observation, and it's good if it's not distracting.

What's the benefit of whatever that linking mechanic is?

Yeah it really does not get in the way when you are playing as nothing actually blocks your view, asides from the camera angles with the overhead view + map objects. D: But that has to do with the game design more than the HUD.

What makes it look overly busy which might have been what you were concerned with is all the lines that appear from the linked attacks. Though once you play it for yourself it all makes sense. But yeah Ill agree with you from trailers and videos the lines make one go "the fuck is going on? and why is all this here?" lol

It ups the stats of the overall attack. I need to progress farther to see if the different classes add different things to that.

All the information of what its raising appears on the lines and is constantly rotating around. Plus having LOS with the other members allows for the lines to connect, for example in the video you see it made a triangle which also improves things apparently. I need to watch the tut video I made again to see exactly what it did.

Parakeetman

Do you have any info on the ranking system, multiple difficulty levels, etc?

Not really, the game will start you on easy by default, but my playthrough is on Normal mode. Which results in what you saw happen to me in the footage provided so far. I fear what hard mode would be like...

Parakeetman

I love the artworks, im interested, i can't seems to understand the combat gameplay

Basically its turn based, the divided by line sections on the map = how the game judges distance between characters in the game.

Adjacent squares = melee distance
Example
[Enemy] [Ally Melee]

2 squares away = ranged
Example [ ] = 1 square
[Enemy] [Ally Melee] [Ranged Character]

With the current units, you are unable to bypass sections occupied by an enemy unit and vice versa. Its an important mechanic of the game as it can work for or against you when it comes to how you want to occupy the map.

Also winning in combat with melee units, they will automatically advance to the previously occupied area by the target you just defeated. You can see that occur in the videos I had uploaded.

Attacking enemies consists of attacking solo or as a team by linking attacks. When attacks are linked those are all the lines you see appearing between all parties involved with the attack.

Linking attacks provides bonuses to the attacks which effects are given are displayed constantly moving on the link lines. That can also be seen in the videos I have provided if you look closely at the link lines.

The attack commands also display how many times a character will attack with selected action. You will see a (x #) type of display next to attack icon.

Example (standard attack x 3) which means 3 attacks for the standard attack action.

If you defeat your initial target all remaining actions will be performed against the next valid target in the adjacent zone for melee units.

Ranged units also work the same way. For example the standard ranged attack with the first ranged character you get is 2 shots. If she takes out an enemy unit with the first shot, she will use the second to attack the next valid target as long as her LOS (Line Of Sight) isnt blocked.

Which brings us to ranged units. You must always provide a clear LOS for them or else they will not be able to attack or counter-attack. You apparently can attack your own characters by accident, but only within your own turn. On the times when they will perform an automatic action such as a counter attack, they will not fire if an ally is blocking their LOS.

Combat is also decided by stats basically, so its important to look at your characters ahead of time and know generally what kind of stats they have. But this system can also lead to frustration with moments where most of ones attacks are parried, blocked or dodged. When you target something it also shows the percentages of chance to hit and critical rate, so taking note of those before attacking helps along with HP of your target.

Characters who are able to defend, (currently only types that use shields) will have lowered damage taken when attacks do hit. But if your character manages to block, dodge, parry successfully no damage will be taken.

While all this looks confusing when watching the videos and dont blame any of you who are, as I was uncertain of what was going on from initial vids, when you play it yourself its not all that bad. You will catch on pretty quickly and from there go on the long journey of further understanding the mechanics to help up your survival rate lol

Not really, the game will start you on easy by default, but my playthrough is on Normal mode. Which results in what you saw happen to me in the footage provided so far. I fear what hard mode would be like...
If you can translate the ranking categories or find out the difference in difficulties that would be helpful, thank you.

Parakeetman

If you can translate the ranking categories or find out the difference in difficulties that would be helpful, thank you.

Im not sure what you mean by ranking categories.

Currently no real info on the difference between difficulty, but you are free to change it whenever you want in between stages.

----

I can assure you people something will happen in the third mission thats going to drive everyone insane. A tip for halfway through the third stage
Also be sure to use Zekelinde's healing item on anyone hurt before stepping on the pressure plate, as he becomes inactive for the rest of the map.
To prevent potential headaches, pay attention to the diagram below.
As it ties in directly with the third stage in particular.

VERY VERY IMPORTANT GAME MECHANIC

With this game units that can defend give the ability to grant another action to another unit in the same square. Which means you can move units in a chain out of their own turn. Laugh all you want at the diagram on cardboard below, but trust me its a pretty important mechanic that you will need to make use of in this game. Since the enemy sure as hell takes advantage of it every chance it gets, also explains the other function of defensive units. Pull them out into the front and allow another unit to pull back. Among other things that will make your overall experience a lot easier with the title itself.

AnfLAMs.png

Explanation of the diagram follows
*A & B are both unit types who can take the defensive stance. C is a non defensive stance unit.

#1: B moves first to square #2. A moves next to square #2 and takes the defensive stance.

#2: Due to A's defensive stance, B is allowed another turn and moves to square #3 and takes the defensive stance.

#3: Due to B's defensive stance, C is allowed an action and moves to square #4.

Since in this game if you take too much damage you become in a wounded state which decreases your mobility rating on the map allowing for less spaces to be traveled which is a huge risk.

Ill do a video later showing the exact same thing I explained here. Going to add the diagram + explanation to the OP. Im trying to figure out if the effect works for anyone in the allied (blue) zone in general or if it has to be at least adjacent to the character taking the defensive stance.

Another important bit is characters who got another action turn from defense chain for example are unable to perform actions such as activating objects (door, chest, gate, switch, etc) but can do pretty much anything else. I think my cardboard diagram might be a little wrong since a reactivated defensive character cannot be used to reactivate another character further away. Unless the flow went like this.

(Turn flow)
B - A - X - B - Y - Z - C
A, B, C = player characters
X, Y, Z = monsters

The following below is using the same 4 square grid diagram as your base of reference.

1: B moves to #2
2: A moves to #2 defends. B is reactivated and moves to #3 ends his reactivated turn.
3: X performs its action for the turn
4: Officially B's turn again who defends allowing for C to become reactivated and get a free action before Y and Z, using that to move to #4

Reactivations from the defend skill can only be done in the official turn of said character. Not from a reactivated turn. So yeah am pretty sure my diagram is a little incorrect, but the general principal is the same. (wait this is sort of wrong too have a more correct a but slightly confusing diagram)

Parakeetman

Good to hear a dissenting opinion among comments like "on the level of tokitowa and extetra" because this seems right up my alley. Animations look a little stiff but I'm sure it'll feel at home on the Vita.

A lot of the animations too basically do not really chain together, as you can see with the attacks how when it goes through the animation cycle it resets itself and performs the same animation again, which is why it looks so odd. They didnt bother to really fine tune it.

The gameplay is solid though, but the most simple explanation of whos going to win when you play is the one who can figure out to squeeze as many turns out as possible continuously before the other side does. Even something like tossing a healing item to another member can start a new attack chain. Which I found out by accident a few minutes ago and totally saved my ass in the last map I just got through.

I have footage recorded of the whole thing so will upload that after these 2 other files are done. Or might upload that one next actually. Still will be a few hours out with how long the processing is for the vid quality / length of the current files.

---

Have put up in the OP new footage showing the character skill trees.

Also uploading new footage now. Will be of stage 3, but as always folks dont watch the videos if you dont want the stages and what happens in them spoiled. But for those who dont mind as much feel free to watch them.

Good to hear a dissenting opinion among comments like "on the level of tokitowa and extetra" because this seems right up my alley. Animations look a little stiff but I'm sure it'll feel at home on the Vita.

The person expressing that opinion hasn't played the game. It's kind of a shame to see second hand opinions like that become gospel.

Parakeetman

Hows the story and characters? Is there anything to do away from the battlefield like what VC had?

The gameplay looks quite fun :D

Since this game doesnt even have standard currency such as gold for example, dont even think there will be towns to buy stuff and everything will come from playing over the various stages when its possible getting loot from treasure chests. The more difficult the stages the better the loot tables is what I would assume. Healing items are from the skill tree also which are limited use per battle. So its not like you actually buy healing items either. Know that might be a huge minus to some folks considering what the standard formula usually is.

The characters are varied enough as is currently. Story still am not exactly quite too sure whats going on outside of the simple fact that the you basically are a newly approved adventurer and now working under the client who had set up the whole test of skill which was the tutorial mission. Shes the one with the rifle in the tutorial footage I put up.

Can imagine where the story is going though.

I just assumed they weren't the PS4 version. :/

Still looked cool, I will pick this up when it comes over.

Not to mention the fact that Im selling a SECOND COPY of the PS4 version should have given the hint that the footage I recorded is from the PS4 version. Let alone the first video (15 minute tutorial one) from the ones I recorded states PS4 version in the title. All of that is in the OP pretty clear to see.

Coxy

I would expect better of Ryouga personally and do hope that was not the case...

Sadly true, he watched hasemo play it badly for less than 30 mins before they declared it "not worthy of the console" because it "looks like kusoge"

I have no idea if the game is any good myself but trying to judge after 30 mins is stupid and I lost a bunch of respect for him

Im not sure what you mean by ranking categories.

Currently no real info on the difference between difficulty, but you are free to change it whenever you want in between stages.
I mean when you finish a mission you get a rank in several categories and an overall rank (up to S rank).

Since this game doesnt even have standard currency such as gold for example, dont even think there will be towns to buy stuff and everything will come from playing over the various stages when its possible getting loot from treasure chests. The more difficult the stages the better the loot tables is what I would assume. Healing items are from the skill tree also which are limited use per battle. So its not like you actually buy healing items either. Know that might be a huge minus to some folks considering what the standard formula usually is.

The characters are varied enough as is currently. Story still am not exactly quite too sure whats going on outside of the simple fact that the you basically are a newly approved adventurer and now working under the client who had set up the whole test of skill which was the tutorial mission. Shes the one with the rifle in the tutorial footage I put up.

Can imagine where the story is going though.

Not to mention the fact that Im selling a SECOND COPY of the PS4 version should have given the hint that the footage I recorded is from the PS4 version. Let alone the first video (15 minute tutorial one) from the ones I recorded states PS4 version in the title. All of that is in the OP pretty clear to see.

So no character relations thing or conversations outside the battle zones. What do you do outside battles if anything?

Parakeetman

Sadly true, he watched hasemo play it badly for less than 30 mins before they declared it "not worthy of the console" because it "looks like kusoge"

I have no idea if the game is any good myself but trying to judge after 30 mins is stupid and I lost a bunch of respect for him

Hmm yeah thats not cool at all then.

So no character relations thing or conversations outside the battle zones. What do you do outside battles if anything?

No story bits do occur on the world map with the characters talking and such, but its nothing fancy. Just voice with portraits. Though you can change what appears in the options. Basically face portrait, full (full character art) or real (which I assume is the 3d model face or something) Have not tried real yet.

Outside of battles is just setting up your characters and moving to the next location at this point.

I mean when you finish a mission you get a rank in several categories and an overall rank (up to S rank).

The real quick & rough is

Losses
Destroyed
Chain Effectiveness
Chain Initiative
Melee Damage
Ranged Damage
Support Fire Times
Pluton? Amount. (The mineral that is found in treasure chests, what the Goblins apparently mine and the humans raid the monsters for)

Definitely on my to buy list, thanks for the videos etc Parakeetman. As a wizardry/kings field veteran this game is right up my alley

Parakeetman

Definitely on my to buy list, thanks for the videos etc Parakeetman. As a wizardry/kings field veteran this game is right up my alley

Am uploading more stuff currently so check back in a few hours. Will be stage 3 (pt 1 & 2 due to length) & stage 4. Though am considering uploading stage 4 before stage 3 Pt 2. Not sure yet though. Either way it will all go up in a couple of hours.

*Related note to the videos.
Reason why all the stuff is unlisted is am not doing this for hits or anything to get popular. Its just for folks here at GAF and the last thing I need is the vids to get taken down for whatever stupid reason YT or the flaggers might come up with.

Thanks Parakeetman!

This game sounds FAR more interesting than I even gave it credit for!

Loving the unique mechanics from your descriptions. Could be an SRPG game changer!

Shengar

Well just got my internet quota back and now I'm able to watched in HD. Damn, just from the first three minutes it looks really neat. I also know now why do you said it very different from Valkyria Chronicles. I'm gonna continue watching the video, but I have question for something I've just noticed on the basic mechanics of the game. So, the battlefield in the game is separated into zones which when occupied by opposing force, you need to clear them first. From how it works in the video, it poses a question whether or not unit positioning is really important or not within your zone.

Anyway, thanks again for the video and impressions Parakeetman. I could totally see this game have crazy cult following.

The real quick & rough is

Losses
Destroyed
Chain Effectiveness
Chain Initiative
Melee Damage
Ranged Damage
Support Fire Times
Pluton? Amount. (The mineral that is found in treasure chests, what the Goblins apparently mine and the humans raid the monsters for)
Thanks for that. I wonder if it keeps records of your score anywhere, or has an overall campaign score.

I appreciate your impressions and look forward to playing (in English).

Parakeetman

Well just got my internet quota back and now I'm able to watched in HD. Damn, just from the first three minutes it looks really neat. I also know now why do you said it very different from Valkyria Chronicles. I'm gonna continue watching the video, but I have question for something I've just noticed on the basic mechanics of the game. So, the battlefield in the game is separated into zones which when occupied by opposing force, you need to clear them first. From how it works in the video, it poses a question whether or not unit positioning is really important or not within your zone.

Anyway, thanks again for the video and impressions Parakeetman. I could totally see this game have crazy cult following.

The camera views have various usages. The 3 are, top down close, top down far and the third person one. All have their own usages and such so you will be switching through them constantly. But by far for navigating and making sure that you have proper LOS and such the third person one is the most useful. For aiming things like AOE type of skills the top down, also when it comes to having to select yourself for healing and such.

With unit positioning within the zone, until the melee phase actually starts its important due to objects on the map can provide cover blocking LOS for the enemy preventing a ranged attack and also for allowing your ranged characters a clear shot at the enemy if you are both on the same elevation for when they perform a follow up shot or counter attack.

When the melee phase of the combat phase starts the game will move your melee characters into a bunch and the trading of blows with the enemy begins. Ranged attacks take priority first. Which also includes the cover fire that is provided when your unit is attacked first by an enemy.

So the main thing about positioning in short are these 3 points
-Cover
-Line of Sight for your ranged characters
-Not being bunched up to get nailed by AOE damage.

Asides from that it doesnt really matter too much. As when you attack your allies who can join in on the attack are able to reposition themselves. Where the whole placement to cause the chain formation to take effect comes into play.

There is one important thing though, as long as your unit is within a square its consider fair game to a melee attack regardless of placement within that square. So if you want to keep a ranged attacker out of harms way, keep them out of any areas with enemies adjacent to them. Hostile AI will for the most part attack ranged units over melee ones. Same goes for whoever the most damaged unit is.

Another example illustration to laugh at. (its faster than doing up something graphically in paint.net)
4pX2PBi.png

Sw = Swordsman
R = Ranged

In Example 1, you can see the swordsman and ranged unit are in the same area adjacent to the enemy. This allows the enemy to attack either unit due to both being in an adjacent square regardless of the fact the ranged unit is further away. Adjacent = fair game for melee.

In Example 2, you can see the swordsman in the adjacent area to the enemy. The ranged unit is in an area 1 square away from the enemy. Therefore the enemy is only allowed to attack the swordsman and not the ranged unit. It will be unable to pass through the swordsman to advance to the ranged unit also due to the swordsman occupying the current area in the way of the enemy.

Thanks Parakeetman!

This game sounds FAR more interesting than I even gave it credit for!

Loving the unique mechanics from your descriptions. Could be an SRPG game changer!

At least this proves Im fair about games that are worth giving a shot. So in the future everyone please do remember that when you see me really railing something for being shit lol.

Yeah it is quite unique and Im still learning a lot by trial and error, but learning from the mistakes and watching what the enemy does also is important. Even though it does feel like the AI is cheating on occasion, when you learn new mechanics it kinda makes you realize how the enemy is doing some of the things it does. Like how I initially though that the enemy was taking turns out of order, when it turned out to be the whole defensive stance chaining actions together. For that to work the enemy has to be in a section adjacent to said unit taking the defensive stance. So it will not work for ones not adjacent / in same square as said unit.

This really is quite the unique title and for those who do enjoy SRPGs its worth giving a shot depending on what type of pricing it will get in the US. In terms of gamelength not too sure yet. If I feel up to it will try to check more JP threads. Those too have been a mixed bag of love and hate from the JP gamers due to the game system, which pretty much is what I had expected after seeing how this game is designed.

Still wont sing full praise and hype it up as an EVERYONE MUST BUY IT type of title, since this type of gameplay and mind bending mechanics is really a niche sort of deal and most def even in the west its going to be loved and hated. So those curious best ask what questions you can here and make the decision from there after reviewing everything. As its not an easy title or be considered big budget like with cutscenes, story, etc. For now Id rank this as semi barebones with a fascinating and difficult game mechanics.

Shengar

form a follow up shot or counter attack.

When the melee phase of the combat phase starts the game will move your melee characters into a bunch and the trading of blows with the enemy begins. Ranged attacks take priority first. Which also includes the cover fire that is provided when your unit is attacked first by an enemy.

So the main thing about positioning in short are these 2 points
-Cover
-Line of Sight for your ranged characters

Asides from that it doesnt really matter too much. As when you attack your allies who can join in on the attack are able to reposition themselves. Where the whole placement to cause the chain formation to take effect comes into play.

I thought as much that positioning is matters for and against ranged unit. From the video, the cover fires looks peculiarly similar to VC but works on its own way. I guess since ranged unit provide cover fire and also deal crapton of damage, they'll be pretty OP in the game then right?

Parakeetman

I thought as much that positioning is matters for and against ranged unit. From the video, the cover fires looks peculiarly similar to VC but works on its own way. I guess since ranged unit provide cover fire and also deal crapton of damage, they'll be pretty OP in the game then right?

Yeah ranged units will really fuck your shit up good. In the 4th video Ill be putting up, one was dealing more damage than any of us had HP... So you will really want to take them out ASAP. Thankfully they have shit HP. Also steer clear of being in their LOS as the same rules apply for the enemy when it comes to their ranged units providing support fire for an attack performed by their allies. Really can mess up a plan good if not careful. Esp if there are multiple enemies bunched up and you cant clear them all out allowing for a counter attack that has you taking constant fire from ranged units. Just had that happen now actually...

Pt 1 of the third dungeon the video has been uploaded. As always if 1080p setting isnt visible give it a little time as it just finished being processed. Am waiting for the thumbnails to appear so can make the image link to the video same as the others.

Thanks for that. I wonder if it keeps records of your score anywhere, or has an overall campaign score.

I appreciate your impressions and look forward to playing (in English).

Am not too sure on that as dont see any sort of records option currently. Its not like it really seems to matter currently anyways considering the rating doesnt give you any sort of rewards at the moment.

---

Back to dying I go as Pt 2 uploads / processes

What's the benefit of whatever that linking mechanic is?

Also to further answer this, sorry didnt add this initially had slipped the mind. The data that appears showing hit rate / critical rate / damage for when you have an enemy target this will change too according to the link formation bonuses. So that helps make things a bit easier to understand than watching the scrolling text with the lines. lol

I still am not sure though on exactly how the bonuses applied work, but one thing for sure is with a proper link formation they do increase a lot of different things. And with that being said its fantastic when used in conjunction with skills that increase damage / critical rate for example Zekelinde starts off with. As it can raise those bonuses even higher. Which seriously is important for trying to take down certain enemies before they have a chance to attack. Though I need to check if they will apply like for example a crit hit % bonus to a skill that has none initially. Such as the quick attack skill. I would think it does though.

Calm down. I skimmed, I apologise. I asked a question and it was answered, no need for the animosity.

Parakeetman

Cheers for the vids, parakeet !

Definitely gonna grab the omochidashi pack for this game, looks awesome.

You are very welcome and subscribe to the thread as will be adding more tonight. Part 2 is processing.

After that am uploading the 4th story stage footage. From there will just be recording whatever.

If you are looking to import the PS4 Omochidashi pack do have a brand new one for sale lol.

---

New info on the map locations dungeons. There will be a letter showing the difficulty ranking of said dungeon. So pay attention to that if anything when selecting your next outing with the party. The first dungeon can still kill me so I fear what would happen if I went into say a rank B+ place... D: There is even an rank A one currently open. I wonder if these scale to your level in terms of the rating changes when you get stronger.

batbeg

Cheers for the informed impressions parakeetman, they've been very detailed and insightful. I'd been vaguely interested in this title after initial information dripped out but now I'm fully prepared to buy it when it comes west.

I imagine with being easy to please on presentation and a love of strategy/movement based RPG battle systems like Valkyria Chronicles, Valkyrie Profile 2/Covenant of the Plume, The Last Remnant, Dragon Quarter, Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits etc etc that this game is kind of a shoe-in to appeal to me.

Parakeetman

Cheers for the informed impressions parakeetman, they've been very detailed and insightful. I'd been vaguely interested in this title after initial information dripped out but now I'm fully prepared to buy it when it comes west.

I imagine with being easy to please on presentation and a love of strategy/movement based RPG battle systems like Valkyria Chronicles, Valkyrie Profile 2/Covenant of the Plume, The Last Remnant, Dragon Quarter, Arc the Lad Twilight of the Spirits etc etc that this game is kind of a shoe-in to appeal to me.

Ill keep them coming as long as am playing. Still so many things to learn with the game.

Once you do learn the mechanics though, the game really does become a lot easier to play, but then even more so you will kick yourself in the ass when you screw up and GAME OVER from doing something stupid or over extending due to being too confident from how the battles up until that point have been going. Though dat feeling when you clear an area with a thought out strategy.

In a lot of ways, you need to play the game with moves thought out in advance. As playing from turn to turn I found out gets you killed if that makes sense.
--

Also part 2 of the 3rd dungeon video has been uploaded and can be found in the OP. Its basically one of the better examples of the whole
defense + extra turn system in action on both sides... kinda terrifying when you see the enemies do it on that particular level. Not to mention you all see how I barely make it out alive.

This was the level that I died so many times on in the second half
till I figured out how to make proper use of an essential game mechanic.

---

4th story stage video has been uploaded and link provided in the OP. Will change to image link once the thumbnails become processed.

---

Really pay attention to the "action turn bar at the top of the screen" reason for that is if you really want to prevent enemies from constantly comboing your ass, try to take out the next in line enemy with your ranged character if possible. Even if it includes putting it in a slightly dangerous situation. The payoff of having another friendly turn in a row seriously helps out. Its one of the tactics been using to clear a current A rank dungeon. At least part of it anyways. Didnt dare to push my luck and press on farther with the potential chance of losing what rewards and exp I already earned lol. You will see that video next. For those who watch will go WTF once the doors open up.

Actually decided am going to show the video where I died instead of the one where I succeeded. Far more interesting if folks will have to think out a solution than see one potential way to win. Have the other recording also, but for now will just post up the failed one.

Parakeetman

Man you got me so excited but that looks like a lame card game. They seem to have a solid battle system why couldn't they jsut use that for MP. That would be so awesome, srpg multiplayer.

The cards seem to be a representation of units which go with a cost limitation. But when you play the MP mode apparently its the same as the SP sort of stuff from what Ive read from Japanese users. Have seen some footage too. There is head to head and co-op type of game modes.

Not sure how active the community is as have a feeling not a lot of people bought the game and dont blame folks considering what it looked like in both videos and still shots.

This guy is streaming MP currently, but sometimes hes waiting a long time for another player.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tolztell-s-ps4-live-show

Other things Ive read is that there are some pretty cheat combinations out there too which folks have been using.
---
Also latest video has been updated.

Rank A Dungeon: Prepare to Die Edition lol

For those who dont want to have to go back to the first page, heres the latest 4 videos.

*Spoilers warning & such
Gameplay from the 3rd story stage. Part 1 & 2. (Click on Image to play)

*Spoilers warning & such
Gameplay from 4th story stage. (Click on Image to play)

Rank A Dungeon: Prepare to Die Edition (Click on Image to play)

If anyone actually wants to see how this particular room was cleared let me know and will upload that video.

DEAR GOD the real reason that place is rank A
lies behind the door. Opening it basically ensures someone will die in that turn. I wonder if you can blow open doors instead with the bomb to have it be opened from a safe distance. Its suicide how when most of the time once a door is opened everything inside gets a turn right after.

Will say though, once you get the mechanics down all that comes next is just making sure the enemy doesnt get the jump on you first like with opening doors and such its not really all that bad. Just need to figure out strategies on how to clear sections and once thats nailed down, breezing through it to the next is easy. Can clear the first part of the A rank dungeon no problem now that the strategy is figured out.

Found out the bomb that the gunner chick has does not open doors. D: Silly considering she can blow holes in "weak" walls which are usually made of stone with it. So why not wooden doors?. If there is one unfair mechanic in the game its having to open doors and then usually the enemies all suddenly get their turn next once yours. All it takes is for one to target an ally, then everyone near him gets to join in on the attack. Which as you can imagine ends very poorly for whoever got targeted.

With the whole GAME OVER thing, I reckon if its any of the human characters die its Retry Stage time. But seeing how there is a rating category in the after stage result for losses it must mean that you will be able to command generic units too.

Top Bottom