• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NAtURAL DOCtRINE Import |OT| - GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
The reviews and the complaint in the OT (and probably subquent LTTP if there is any) will be hilarious.
By the way, how many characters you've got so far? How many unit you can deploy in one battle?

Right now am fielding 5 would guess 6-7 is the max. But can only have 4 units per area. (the lined in sections you see on the map).

Though I really wonder how many people will buy the game, seeing how hardly anyone comments in here lol.

I really think the shitty graphics are scaring most folks away and dont really blame them either.

damn I can't wait to play that game now :3 so much hype

Its something unique thats for sure. As mentioned before I really do like this game, but dear god does it make you want to shit kittens at times. lol

Parakeetman

Just got my copy today.
Going to dive into it.

Nice! After you get some game time in please stop by again and let us know what you think. Other folks here should be tired of hearing me speak all the time by now, so more impressions from other members would be highly appreciated lol. So right now officially thats 3 of us that we know of who have the game here at GAF.

That reminds me I need to load the game onto the PSV TV and record footage showing what the Vita version looks like along with an example of loading times for the levels. Will start the DL now.

Also in other news am returning the extra unopened PS4 omochidashi pack copy I had to amazon jp tomorrow as didnt get any buyers. Already got it all packed up and ready to go.

Game is loaded up on the PSV TV. Small problem is still am in the middle of a dungeon run on the PSV, so am trying to clear that out first and UL the save so can make a recording on the PSV TV. And managed to pull my ass out of the fire in one piece. Will see if can do a short PSV TV video now. Though actually I should just start a new game, as dont want any spoilers getting out since am kinda far in the story. Yeah ok Ill do that. Then at least that way folks can compare the PS4 tut video to the PS Vita one which am making now.

ranmafan

Well its been a busy week for me starting a new job and all, but in between been playing a lot more of the game. I've been mostly levelling up my characters a bit but its been very slow. Levelling up my spell caster especially has been a problem. Just can't seem to get him some exp at the moment for some reason. Right now I'm at the
Goblin Mine Ursa
so I'm still pretty early on in the game it seems from what the Japanese wiki says. I've taken it slow as was recommend by everyone and thats been a good strategy. I got myself stuck on one mission.
I kept wondering if there was a way to save Vasilisa in the Serpent Mine but alas that was impossible.
So far still loving the gameplay. I find it even tricky to go back and play some old areas for level building. I always seem to make some very small mistake that ends up killing someone out of nowhere in these free missions. And yet that aspect keeps me coming back for more.

I've switched over to the Vita version for the last couple of days. Just been so much easier for me to play due to being so busy. It really fits the system well. So glad I got the omochidashi pack.

One other thing, for the heck of it I tried one match of multiplayer and wow, I just got utterly destroyed quickly. Ended up in a quick match with someone two ranks higher than me and with much better cards. There was no chance I could compete. Most of the game was my opponent chaining his attacks to completely destroy me while I just watched on helpless. I do hope I can spend more time on the multiplayer mode but I don't know if I can get myself strong enough to really get started in it. Plus I want to finish the single player first and that will take a while.

Still this has been so far my biggest game surprise of the year so far, and I've been looking forward to this game since its unveiling last year. I had a feeling it would be good and Im so glad its been as great as it has been. I'm really hooked on this game now.

Parakeetman

Well its been a busy week for me starting a new job and all, but in between been playing a lot more of the game. I've been mostly levelling up my characters a bit but its been very slow. Levelling up my spell caster especially has been a problem. Just can't seem to get him some exp at the moment for some reason. Right now I'm at the
Goblin Mine Ursa
so I'm still pretty early on in the game it seems from what the Japanese wiki says. I've taken it slow as was recommend by everyone and thats been a good strategy. I got myself stuck on one mission.
I kept wondering if there was a way to save Vasilisa in the Serpent Mine but alas that was impossible.
So far still loving the gameplay. I find it even tricky to go back and play some old areas for level building. I always seem to make some very small mistake that ends up killing someone out of nowhere in these free missions. And yet that aspect keeps me coming back for more.

I've switched over to the Vita version for the last couple of days. Just been so much easier for me to play due to being so busy. It really fits the system well. So glad I got the omochidashi pack.

One other thing, for the heck of it I tried one match of multiplayer and wow, I just got utterly destroyed quickly. Ended up in a quick match with someone two ranks higher than me and with much better cards. There was no chance I could compete. Most of the game was my opponent chaining his attacks to completely destroy me while I just watched on helpless. I do hope I can spend more time on the multiplayer mode but I don't know if I can get myself strong enough to really get started in it. Plus I want to finish the single player first and that will take a while.

Still this has been so far my biggest game surprise of the year so far, and I've been looking forward to this game since its unveiling last year. I had a feeling it would be good and Im so glad its been as great as it has been. I'm really hooked on this game now.

WARNING - NEW PLAYERS DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING - WARNING
Yeah the part with Vasilisa you cant save her. You will take an insane amount of damage from the massive gurion is just way too much to handle not to mention how many times it can attack in a turn. It seems that there is nothing you can do according to the wiki also at this point in time. Ive tried, plus the amount of HP the thing has is just way too high. There are other points in the game too that even if somehow you manage to win it will still end the level in failure for you for whatever reason was another post I had read on the wiki which was interesting. Some guy tried the same thing I did, but he managed to make it through 4 waves and then the game just forcefully ended the mission is what he said. Thats pretty crazy since I only made it through 2 waves before it became just too much to handle as couldnt keep up the buffs / healing along with doing enough damage to constantly take out the new enemies.
WARNING - NEW PLAYERS DO NOT READ - WARNING *Same goes for any spoilers really.

Yeah the MP is currently filled with ハメ技 / 一撃 type of card combinations apparently. So might be better just to avoid it all together for the time being. I kinda really wonder how balanced the MP could be, since Id imagine one side would get totally destroyed once a chain combo starts and doesnt end. So would be a lot of circling each other till one side screws up is how Id see it. Serious mind games Id imagine.

Real glad to hear that you are enjoying the title after having spent more time with it. Yeah man the free levels can kill you if you are not careful lol. All it takes is just letting one enemy start a combo. Where Im at now, its a little harder for the enemy to pull that kind of shit on my melee characters, but the ranged / caster yeah they still can get killed.

Am the same here been playing on the Vita at the moment, but constantly am updating the save data on PSN after every successful free mission dungeon run. Just in case something weird happens with a bug that messes up the Vita save. With this game I wouldnt put it past it lol.

Really do hope for all the gamers waiting for this title in the West the publisher will release an similar "omochidashi" type of deal with the PS3 / PS4 version + PS Vita Digital DL Code bundled together. As it really is fantastic being able to switch back and forth between the games. Its one thing that makes the Vita a great tool when its used correctly by developers as it is here for example.

ranmafan

Real glad to hear that you are enjoying the title after having spent more time with it. Yeah man the free levels can kill you if you are not careful lol. All it takes is just letting one enemy start a combo. Where Im at now, its a little harder for the enemy to pull that kind of shit on my melee characters, but the ranged / caster yeah they still can get killed.

Am the same here been playing on the Vita at the moment, but constantly am updating the save data on PSN after every successful free mission dungeon run. Just in case something weird happens with a bug that messes up the Vita save. With this game I wouldnt put it past it lol.

Yeah there was this one level where I would use Anca to take out lots of enemys on an upward slope on the other side of the map. First play through of that mission, no problem. Yet almost every time I played again some small little step in one direction led me to death. Thankfully things are getting better on that front. Usually I would get quite frustrated about those things, but here I just get more motivated for another go at it.

As for the vita and the save data, Im pretty much doing that too. Always saving and uploading it to PSN. Got multiple saves too just in case. I would really hate to lose my progress in this game.

Parakeetman

Yeah there was this one level where I would use Anca to take out lots of enemys on an upward slope on the other side of the map. First play through of that mission, no problem. Yet almost every time I played again some small little step in one direction led me to death. Thankfully things are getting better on that front. Usually I would get quite frustrated about those things, but here I just get more motivated for another go at it.

As for the vita and the save data, Im pretty much doing that too. Always saving and uploading it to PSN. Got multiple saves too just in case. I would really hate to lose my progress in this game.

Yeah man multiple saves is the way to go most def. With the 3 current free dungeons that you have unlocked I managed to fully clear all of them. Its seriously worth doing so for the treasure.
but Id suggest doing it later in the story, than with the initial 5 characters. While its possible, its going to be a lot more difficult than if you use the other character who will join you later on. Since I managed to clear to the second part of the A rank dungeon with the original 5 characters, but did not move onto the third part of it.

Btw so how did you like
that stage where it was just jeff, inca and nebula in the ruins hahaha due to that is what made me decide I really need to go back a save data and level up while I still had a 5 character party. To level up the caster you really just need ot have him involved in chains. I think that is what rewards exp directly rather than just standing around and not doing anything. If he can actually get the kill on a unit even better.

Go on, im listenning :D

3 off the top of my head would be games by sting.

Yggdra union 1 & 2
Gungnir

And if you play import titles / like Gundam you have to get Gihren's Ambition: The Menace of Axis - 機動戦士ガンダム ギレンの野望 アクシズの脅威V. This game by far is one of the more hardcore strategy games based in the gundam universe. Really great series. It should be available on the JPSN in the PSP section which will work perfectly fine on the Vita. Seriously once you start you cant stop with this game, but it is hard and you will lose but even so you will continue to play till the very end regardless.

816voV%2BJ%2BAL._AA1323_.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trvH-GTsIqg - some guys lets play video, might have to skip around to get to gameplay.

Some people consider Tactics Ogre to be hard, but its not really that bad.

ranmafan

Yeah man multiple saves is the way to go most def.

Btw so how did you like
that stage where it was just jeff, inca and nebula in the ruins hahaha due to that is what made me decide I really need to go back a save data and level up while I still had a 5 character party. To level up the caster you really just need ot have him involved in chains. I think that is what rewards exp directly rather than just standing around and not doing anything. If he can actually get the kill on a unit even better.

It was a close one for me but I got through that mission ok. Still reminded me to keep an eye on my skills. And Yeah I need to get him more involved in the chains. He always seems to be at the end of them and misses out on points as my other characters finish off battles before he can get some points.

Parakeetman

It was a close one for me but I got through that mission ok. Still reminded me to keep an eye on my skills. And Yeah I need to get him more involved in the chains. He always seems to be at the end of them and misses out on points as my other characters finish off battles before he can get some points.

Yeah its real hard to decide since do you want to use him in a chain early on or keep him to activate another full chain with everyone by targeting an enemy with a spell. Which is usually what I do, by knocking fuckers out of the turn line so he gets his turn faster. But hes a great tool for starting new chain combos due to the range his spells have and how they can curve around obstacles to a certain point that does not leave him exposed. I am unsure though if casting buffs / healing as part of a chain gives him exp. Since apparently just healing on its own for example does not.

You're doing God's work, Parakeetman! Thank you so much for all of your posts. I've caught up on just about everything with the exception of spoiler text. Really excited to play this when it releases here in North America. The gameplay looks really interesting and is my sort of thing. Games that force you to learn their mechanics aren't all that common anymore, so this should be a breath of fresh air. I'm very interested in what I've seen and your word has only further encouraged me to give this a shot. Thanks again!

Parakeetman

You're doing God's work, Parakeetman! Thank you so much for all of your posts. I've caught up on just about everything with the exception of spoiler text. Really excited to play this when it releases here in North America. The gameplay looks really interesting and is my sort of thing. Games that force you to learn their mechanics aren't all that common anymore, so this should be a breath of fresh air. I'm very interested in what I've seen and your word has only further encouraged me to give this a shot. Thanks again!

Thats what Im here for, glad you found the info useful. If you have any questions or things you are not sure of with the game let me know and will be more than happy to assist to the best of my abilities. Can assure you that its quite the refreshing experience though. As the gameplay is damned solid thats for sure. Gets the blood pumping with the tension and all.

Yeah stay away from the spoiler text lol.

Thats what Im here for. If you have any questions or things you are not sure of with the game let me know and will be more than happy to assist to the best of my abilities. Can assure you that its quite the refreshing experience though. As the gameplay is damned solid thats for sure. Gets the blood pumping with the tension and all.

Great! I appreciate it. :) I've subscribed to the thread, so I will be keeping an eye out for your gameplay videos, updates and the like. If there's anything I have a question about, I now know who to come to. Glad to hear that (re: gameplay) -- that's great news.

Edit: Ha! Will do.

Parakeetman

Great! I appreciate it. :) I've subscribed to the thread, so I will be keeping an eye out for your gameplay videos, updates and the like. If there's anything I have a question about, I now know who to come to. Glad to hear that (re: gameplay) -- that's great news.

Edit: Ha! Will do.

Need to do some stuff on the PC first, but will be recording the PSV TV footage from the tutorial stage in a little bit. Then throw that up next, so the Vita users will have a general idea of what to expect with loading times and how the game looks / performs. Which actually overall is pretty good and am sure folks will have most of their concerns eased once they see the footage.

Need to do some stuff on the PC first, but will be recording the PSV TV footage from the tutorial stage in a little bit. Then throw that up next, so the Vita users will have a general idea of what to expect with loading times and how the game looks / performs. Which actually overall is pretty good and am sure folks will have most of their concerns eased once they see the footage.

Oh, yeah? Sweet! Can't wait to check that out!!

Only got a little bit of time in on the Vita version for now.
Quick thoughts:
-I really dig the combat system so far. I haven't been exposed to all the nuances yet, but it certain feels like like there's a lot of room for complexity (we'll see if that's to it's benefit or detriment). I'm getting some Last Remnant vibes from how combat order and group attacking operates, and how punishing the game can be. you absolutely must be attentive to positioning and turn order at all times. It will work against you if you're overaggressive.
-I really like the static art, but the overall presentation seems pretty cheap by design, probably to minimize work needed from platform to platform. Being able to move and target in TPS view actually works quite well. Some other annoyances, like not being able to bypass dialog on repeated events, and how static and janky some of the attack animations are definitely detract from it's overall style.
-This feels at home on the Vita. Haven't booted up PS4 edition yet.

Parakeetman

Only got a little bit of time in on the Vita version for now.
Quick thoughts:
-I really dig the combat system so far. I haven't been exposed to all the nuances yet, but it certain feels like like there's a lot of room for complexity (we'll see if that's to it's benefit or detriment). I'm getting some Last Remnant vibes from how combat order and group attacking operates, and how punishing the game can be. you absolutely must be attentive to positioning and turn order at all times. It will work against you if you're overaggressive.
-I really like the static art, but the overall presentation seems pretty cheap by design, probably to minimize work needed from platform to platform. Being able to move and target in TPS view actually works quite well. Some other annoyances, like not being able to bypass dialog on repeated events, and how static and janky some of the attack animations are definitely detract from it's overall style.
-This feels at home on the Vita. Haven't booted up PS4 edition yet.

Thanks for posting your impressions here, good to hear from another GAF member who has the game!

---

Heres footage from the Vita version running on the PSV TV. This is of the games starting tutorial. You can compare this video to the first one in the OP as thats all PS4 footage. But as you can see loading time is slightly longer on the Vita version. Asides for that runs perfectly fine for the most part, no complaints on my side. Once the other vid is done processing these will be the only 2 Vita version videos Ill be doing. Its more just an example for the members here who were curious as to how the Vita version performed.

(click on image to play video)

Footage from a run through one of the early free dungeons.(click on image to play video)

Both videos are from a brand new game at the start so no worries about any sort of story related spoilers in them. Though if you dont want to see dungeon event related spoilers, dont watch the 2nd video when I put it up.

Added these to the OP also.

Hmm yeah I think Ill also keep the vids as unlisted too. Incredible what shitbirds find to flag. Had an older Tales of Phantasia video flagged in 2 different sections in the instrumental intro. Someone needs a blanket party.

Parakeetman

Heres the sales numbers for the game. These were taken from the Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2014 (Mar 31 - Apr 06) thread.

1st Course posted the dengeki numbers which the following below is taken from as it had numbers for the PS3 version. The media create only had the PSV / PS4 numbers when I quickly went over it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107670584&postcount=478

| 17 | - | PS4 | NAtURAL DOCtRINE | Kadokawa Games | 14/04/03 | 7.267

| 20 | - | Vita | NAtURAL DOCtRINE | Kadokawa Games | 14/04/03 | 6.626

| 30 | - | PS3 | NAtURAL DOCtRINE | Kadokawa Games | 14/04/03 | 4.088

Total - 17,981 (if these numbers are indeed accurate)

What I wonder too is if the PSV numbers include the versions of the game that were digital downloads with the Omochidashi pack. Or more like how did those count in the number tallying. Both the PS3 + PSV / PS4 + PSV packs existed.

---

With that being said and what I had talked about earlier in this thread and the other announcement one before the game came out looks like the predictions came out right.

Up to you guys in the West now to save the game lol. Since jokes aside this seriously must have hurt with how much development / submission for the multiple titles costed. Regardless if it was sent out to die for the most part. Numbers like these is never a good thing. Even more so for when its a more "unique" title as those in charge of paying the bills see it as a reason why not to back such projects. Granted the overall presentation of the game kinda caused the shooting of ones own foot situation, still. Never good to see this.

Heres the sales numbers for the game. These were taken from the Media Create Sales: Week 14, 2014 (Mar 31 - Apr 06) thread.

1st Course posted the dengeki numbers which the following below is taken from as it had numbers for the PS3 version. The media create only had the PSV / PS4 numbers when I quickly went over it.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107670584&postcount=478

What I wonder too is if the PSV numbers include the versions of the game that were digital downloads with the Omochidashi pack. Or more like how did those count in the number tallying. Both the PS3 + PSV / PS4 + PSV packs existed.

---

With that being said and what I had talked about earlier in this thread and the other announcement one before the game came out looks like the predictions came out right.

Up to you guys in the West now to save the game lol. Since jokes aside this seriously must have hurt with how much development / submission for the multiple titles costed. Regardless if it was sent out to die for the most part. Numbers like these is never a good thing. Even more so for when its a more "unique" title as those in charge of paying the bills see it as a reason why not to back such projects. Granted the overall presentation of the game kinda caused the shooting of ones own foot situation, still. Never good to see this.

It might do better in the West than in JP just because the numbers are so low.

Looking at Kadokawa games I don't think they have had much success apart from Steins gate, Amamgami and weirdly some princess games selling 1 million on the PS2 0_0. Demon Gaze was a hit for them relatively of course.

Hopefully they aren too discouraged by console development.

Parakeetman

It might do better in the West than in JP just because the numbers are so low.

Looking at Kadokawa games I don't think they have had much success apart from Steins gate, Amamgami and weirdly some princess games selling 1 million on the PS2 0_0. Demon Gaze was a hit for them relatively of course.

Hopefully they aren too discouraged by console development.

Not really, since they still publish a ton of other games and not all of them are exactly top sellers either. So things should continue on as normal, but regardless of that this most def will have hurt.

If you are curious as to what else they have published heres the official list on the JP site. They also do a lot of licensed titles, which isnt surprising considering kadokawa has their hand in manga / anime related stuff too.
http://www.kadokawagames.co.jp/title/index.php

Think you will be quite surprised with how many games you might recognize in their list.

Anyways dont let this stuff scare you folks off from buying the game as personally with the graphical and other things aside, I think its a good game for someone who wants a bit of a challenge with their SRPGs.

---

jesus am doing one of the S rank free dungeons and its pretty damned vicious, due to how its set up. D: Id love to do a vid for you folks but dont want to spoil things. Might make one anyways eventually though for once I figure out how to clear it without dying on the 2nd part.

ranmafan

And if you play import titles / like Gundam you have to get Gihren's Ambition: The Menace of Axis - 機動戦士ガンダム ギレンの野望 アクシズの脅威V. This game by far is one of the more hardcore strategy games based in the gundam universe. Really great series. It should be available on the JPSN in the PSP section which will work perfectly fine on the Vita. Seriously once you start you cant stop with this game, but it is hard and you will lose but even so you will continue to play till the very end regardless.

Just gotta say, agreed one million percent about this series. Great one to get into. Very hardcore but an absolutely joy to play, especially if you love UC Gundam. I spent so many hours into these games, especially Blood of Zeon on Dreamcast.

Also looking at the sales of Natural Doctrine. Disappointing but it was what I was expecting to happen. I will say I was surprised to see my local Geo sold out of many versions of the title, but I bet they only got like one copy each. Hopefully more people give it a chance in the West.

Parakeetman

Just gotta say, agreed one million percent about this series. Great one to get into. Very hardcore but an absolutely joy to play, especially if you love UC Gundam. I spent so many hours into these games, especially Blood of Zeon on Dreamcast.

Also looking at the sales of Natural Doctrine. Disappointing but it was what I was expecting to happen. I will say I was surprised to see my local Geo sold out of many versions of the title, but I bet they only got like one copy each. Hopefully more people give it a chance in the West.

I remember when it first came out I played it for almost 24 hrs on the weekend. Man great game. I still need to pick up a digital version for my Vita to always have with me kinda like the G Generation World thats currently also on my Vita at the moment. Love the series and no matter how good it looks like you are doing in the game, suddenly there can be a huge shift in power causing you to start losing ground in either space or earth. Fantastic stuff though.

On launch day for ND only saw a few other people besides myself pick it up at Yodobashi Akiba. Other folks were kinda looking at the display. Didnt have much other time to look around though since was on a tight schedule. Though there was a decent amount of all versions displayed.

Its too bad we dont know the total number shipped. Perhaps thats what Kadokawa helped control to minimize damage.

I have a feeling smaller places are gonna wagon the title pretty fast just to try and make back anything on their ordered stock. For the "larger" chains I bet Sofmap will be one of the first to do it.

---

The S rank dungeons fucking suck lol. I should progress ahead in the story once i farm them out for all the pluton and exp I can. Wasted way too much to fully clear the older free dungeons fully so I could get the treasures. Enemies are also starting to have pretty much on the same footing as my guys in terms of skills available to use. Thankfully no
group buffs...yet.
I seriously wish that there was some sort of skill that could have allowed for switches or objects to be interacted with at a distance.

Shengar

I think they must received some help, either manpower or raw (read: money) resources for the PS4 version, So I don't think the damage to Kadokawa isn't that "severe" (well I hope so). Also this game will have a hard on the West if they the press keep mentioning big names that isn't actually related by any mean to the game. Ironically, I think one way that could help this game in the West is by doing "Dark Souls of SRPG!!!111!" (which in opinion based on the impression so far, isn't actually that too far off and not lazy name dropping. I'm not judging this purely on difficulty factor, but also gameplay design-wise. Though Demon's Souls of SRPG might be more appropriate lol) because that way people have set their expectation accordingly before playing this game. Otherwise, name dropping like VC or even FFT might piss since they meet completely different game that those.

Also, when and where did you get your tag Parakeetman?

Parakeetman

I think they must received some help, either manpower or raw (read: money) resources for the PS4 version, So I don't think the damage to Kadokawa isn't that "severe" (well I hope so). Also this game will have a hard on the West if they the press keep mentioning big names that isn't actually related by any mean to the game. Ironically, I think one way that could help this game in the West is by doing "Dark Souls of SRPG!!!111!" (which in opinion based on the impression so far, isn't actually that too far off and not lazy name dropping. I'm not judging this purely on difficulty factor, but also gameplay design-wise. Though Demon's Souls of SRPG might be more appropriate lol) because that way people have set their expectation accordingly before playing this game. Otherwise, name dropping like VC or even FFT might piss since they meet completely different game that those.

Also, when and where did you get your tag Parakeetman?

One thing for sure is that I have little hopes for the western gaming media to do this title justice and will just be dropping big names for people to associate with it just so their articles get read. Otherwise as with this thread you notice how little people actually are paying attention to the title with our small group of posters here. Others who have 0 interest due to the ugly screenshots isnt helping things either. Would be nice if I could be proven wrong.

Its not like Kadokawa the entity as a whole is small as its a massive company in Japan but the thing is no idea how much money is actually allocated to the games division and such. But they are really pressing hard to gain further ground within the market and the long list of titles they have published shows that.

Though for sure from multiplatform development costs its not cheap and unless Sony was footing the bill there is no way that the poor sales could not have hurt.

From the DW8 thread got it last night.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106978793&postcount=2375

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106982069&postcount=2377

Parakeetman

Had to make a new post because Jesus H. Christ.

All of the following below isnt really a spoiler so wont bother marking it as without knowing which dungeon it is doesnt really matter. These types of situations vary too in dungeons, but by far this I have to say is the worse.

I swear to god this game is going to make me shit kittens. Had an actually first time real unfair type of situation with a map. Really have no idea why the fuck they designed it like this as its literally meant to kill you so you play the level again for the most part. As there is no way of knowing this would happen without having actually played the level once.

Considering how long the fight takes too until then with how the map is initially set up and cant believe they did this with the design. Not cool at all in my book as this was just meant to piss off the player more than anything.

I normally dont do this but am going to have to tell folks look at the wiki ahead of time when you do some of the free dungeons as this is just plain stupid with this one in particular. If the devs dont want to give the player at least some sort of fighting chance, then us as players have the right to say fuck you and look up info first. This is literally poor design right here. Am quite pissed off as that fight was a huge pain in the ass.

raeg1.jpg

For those that missed it, once again heres the Japanese wiki page thats pretty damned good.
http://kamikouryaku.xsrv.jp/naturaldoctrine/

Also for those who want to know which free dungeon it is.
アリエス坑道

Aaaaaaaand yep died on it 4 more times...

Shengar

That sound like you just dun goofed up by surprise buttsecks reinforcement lol
By how you put it, it could be something worse.

Parakeetman

That sound like you just dun goofed up by surprise buttsecks reinforcement lol
By how you put it, it could be something worse.

No its actual poor design. Its easy to say things when you have not played the stage for yourself.

The shit is literally made to get you killed and can very well do so even worse if you clear out the room in a different manner. you will waste a huge amount of pluton also to clear out the initial enemies also and be forced to waste another spell just because of how the level is designed.

The issue is that there is an elevated area melee users cant get to therefore meaning you have to bring a ranged unit close enough to actually take pot shots at them. Even with the range increasing skill, the enemies also have that and will target the ranged characters when they burst through the door into the area. there is no really getting around that period. besides throwing the def spell on one ranged unit and just pray you dont get critted to death. you will not know any of this unless you die once. there basically is no way you will survive if you have any ranged friendly units within firing range of the enemy units that show up from the event trigger. they will all attack said target which = 8 attacks on a target. Generally your ranged units will be high 100 HP low 70 HP. And 8 shots is more than enough to kill someone.

The stupid thing is in some ways which has been a nagging irritation thats growing the game is a semi puzzle game and I really hate strategy titles that do that vs. using actual tactics. this stage and the other S rank one are pretty clear examples of that. while the whole game is not like that, there will be situations that there basically is very few choices to take if you want to survive.

Whoever was in charge of the scenarios and map design needs to be kicked in the dick hard. as they obviously do not know what makes good design as the way those stages in particular are made its to fuck the player over which does not jive well with how the game system works that already can put the player at a huge disadvantage once an enemy chain starts. this isnt like a game that has a trap laid out in it somewhere, this is an actual problem with the stage design that also includes how triggers for events work.

When you design a game like this, personally you deserve shitty sales. As much as I do like this game, thats 2 dungeons already the design am not amused with at all. They obviously did not have a good team behind making sure things with the title were balanced enough so that it provides a challenging yet enjoyable experience.

Granted these are optional stages, it still does not take away from the fact the player needs to run them to level up and collect pluton as the further in the game you get the more and more you will wind up using just due to how the stage design ramps up what you have to face off against. Also with how the other free dungeons become inaccessible after a run or two on it means your choices to level / harvest in becomes limited also. While I understand why they did that, at the same time they need to have stages designed appropriately to help counteract that fact. By designing them to pretty much 100% kill the player on the first try is not how it should be done as that wastes the players time on purpose and is something a game / game designer should never do. As this isnt like fetch quests type of wasting time as the player is still actually playing the game, this is letting the player play for X amount of minutes, may vary depending on player then literally taking all of that and throwing it in the trash by killing the player therefore erasing all the progression made.

When you die and its your own fault thats one thing, but when something is designed to kill you on purpose without any sort of proper warning or signs its a whole nother story. Very disappointed by that.

Parakeetman

Parakeetman

Seems pretty solid and those loading times aint too bad, I suppose. Thanks for that, will be waiting for the localized version.

Yep no problem! Once you are in the battles no loading times at all, plus if you die having to restart the level the same. Hardly any loading times. Its just in and out of the battles (world map / battle) is what takes a small bit of time. But yeah its not all that bad. Since its not like its a constant on / off thing.

The Vita version is what Im exclusively playing for the time being. Granted though on the console version its much easier to see further distances at times for whatever reason depending on the stages sometimes its a little dark in the backgrounds, compounded by the smaller screen is what leads to the TPV being a little hard to see. Thankfully the automatic targeting switch (Triangle) button and the 2 different top down views help solve that issue anyways so its not that big of an issue.

---

In other news thankfully the story missions are not too bad currently and have leveled up enough apparently with how am cutting through the enemies where Im at. Part of it too has to do with how the levels are designed so the risk isnt as great.

Seriously this game should have given Inca some sort of smoke grenade which drops the accuracy of ranged attack for the enemy that has to try to fire through it. Considering the enemy would have it also would make it not OP just like all the other skills in the game. Since there really needs to be a better way than just relying on luck praying you dont get hit.

From the look of things am about halfway through the game. Could progress faster I think if I just constantly hit up the story missions and try to see if I can brute force it up to a certain point with how my characters are.

For the S rank free dungeon you will most def need
the loli and her golem otherwise dont have anything else to stand around and block the enemy LOS with

Despera

Banned
Thanks for posting your impressions here, good to hear from another GAF member who has the game!

---

Heres footage from the Vita version running on the PSV TV. This is of the games starting tutorial. You can compare this video to the first one in the OP as thats all PS4 footage. But as you can see loading time is slightly longer on the Vita version. Asides for that runs perfectly fine for the most part, no complaints on my side. Once the other vid is done processing these will be the only 2 Vita version videos Ill be doing. Its more just an example for the members here who were curious as to how the Vita version performed.

(click on image to play video)

Footage from a run through one of the early free dungeons.(click on image to play video)
Well the Vita version definitely looks competent enough.

I have a question regarding enemy variety... do enemy types change over time or do you just keep fighting the same goblin infantry? Bosses and mid-level mini-bosses don't count.

Parakeetman

I have a question regarding enemy variety... do enemy types change over time or do you just keep fighting the same goblin infantry? Bosses and mid-level mini-bosses don't count.

Goblins are just one of the more common enemies in the game, there are other types too which include Orcs, Trolls, Lizardmen, Humans, Undead etc. But dont expect something super big budget basically.

Parakeetman

Goblins are just one of the more common enemies in the game, there are other types too which include Orcs, Trolls, Lizardmen, Humans, Undead (skeletons), Golems etc. But dont expect something super big budget basically.

The class types for enemies range as the generally the following below for enemies that have actual classes. The types of skills that they can use generally are very similar to what the player has available.

Melee type 1 handed weapon

Melee type w/ shield

Melee type 2 handed weapon

Ranged rifle type

Ranged sniper rifle type (higher damage output, slightly lower accuracy. Makes no sense I know)

Ranged grenade rifle? type (though this seems to be race specific to the Orcs, highest damage output of all ranged weapons)

Caster type (has both offensive and defensive spells)

Engineer type (uses a weaker version of the rifle though can attack 3 times, can repair golems)

There are also different tiers for the other type of monster that appears in the game.

Larva (able to defend, melee attack and can spit single shot acid)

Trooper (melee attack and can spit 3 acid shots at once in a horizontal line pattern)

Sentry (melee attack forgot and am pretty sure it can spit acid just forgot what the shot pattern is)

Despera

Banned
Goblins are just one of the more common enemies in the game, there are other types too which include Orcs, Trolls, Lizardmen, Humans, Undead (skeletons), Golems etc. But dont expect something super big budget basically.

The class types for enemies range as the generally the following below for enemies that have actual classes. The types of skills that they can use generally are very similar to what the player has available.

Melee type 1 handed weapon

Melee type w/ shield

Melee type 2 handed weapon

Ranged rifle type

Ranged sniper rifle type (higher damage output, slightly lower accuracy. Makes no sense I know)

Ranged grenade rifle? type (though this seems to be race specific to the Orcs, highest damage output of all ranged weapons)

Caster type (has both offensive and defensive spells)

Engineer type (uses a weaker version of the rifle though can attack 3 times, can repair golems)

There are also different tiers for the other type of monster that appears in the game.

Larva (able to defend, melee attack and can spit single shot acid)

Trooper (melee attack and can spit 3 acid shots at once in a horizontal line pattern)

Sentry (melee attack forgot and am pretty sure it can spit acid just forgot what the shot pattern is)
Thanks for clearing that up, but why'd they gimp the snipers like that? lol

Parakeetman

Thanks for clearing that up, but why'd they gimp the snipers like that? lol

Trust me when its a bunch of them on the enemy side you will be thankful that they are poor shots at times D:

For your own character Tatiana in the game though she comes with a skill that raises her hit % and crit rate. Which helps. I think by default her base accuracy is around 80%? Though as we know with all games that do %ages that usually means little to nothing lol.

They should have called it a heavy rifle instead, since its not like you get increased range or anything. But you can with an unlocked skill in the skill tree which adds an extra +1 to range. Both Inca and Tatiana can learn the skill. I forgot if the main character too, since I did not put any points into his ranged skill branch.

You can equip Inca with a sniper rifle too when you find one but when she uses it she only gets a single shot with it, unlike Tatiana who gets 2. So am guessing shes not really meant to be using the weapon. Also am pretty sure it has to do with the character stats too. As one of them increases the amount of times you can attack. Didnt look at what the main diff between Inca and Tatiana are stats wise.

Parakeetman

BUG INFORMATION ON 15TH DUNGEON 魔獣の回廊 (Corridor of the Beast)

Double posting as this is pretty IMPORTANT INFORMATION for one stage. Since there is a screenshot out I might as well say which for those playing. The stage with the minotaur there will be 2 treasure chests there. It may seem you cant target / loot them when in the third person, but if you switch your camera angle to top you should be able to target them. Use Inca to unlock them also.

Bug must be caused with the treasure placement too close to the walls so game must think its clipping into it or something causing the targeting to get all screwed up in TPV. Though overhead does not seem to be effected.

Anyways beware and just remember that before exiting the level.

ranmafan

Well I guess I thought I would update my status on the game. The point I am at now,
Giza Battlefield
is still in the first half of the game, but man its destroying me. These enemies are relentless in their attacks and in their chaining their moves together. Every strategy I try seems to just blow up in my face. None of my attacks seem to hit in this level, thanks to so many obstacles blocking my way. It can be quite frustrating, yet Im trying to push through. I thought my levels of my characters were high enough to continue but now Im contemplating going back to an old save to do much more level building of my characters. But I just don't know. Hopefully I can get through this level but I just can't believe how hard this game is still getting. Even on easy it can be so frustrating. And yet I still love it.

Parakeetman

Well I guess I thought I would update my status on the game. The point I am at now,
Giza Battlefield
is still in the first half of the game, but man its destroying me. These enemies are relentless in their attacks and in their chaining their moves together. Every strategy I try seems to just blow up in my face. None of my attacks seem to hit in this level, thanks to so many obstacles blocking my way. It can be quite frustrating, yet Im trying to push through. I thought my levels of my characters were high enough to continue but now Im contemplating going back to an old save to do much more level building of my characters. But I just don't know. Hopefully I can get through this level but I just can't believe how hard this game is still getting. Even on easy it can be so frustrating. And yet I still love it.

hahaha oh man yeah I hated that place too. Took me a few tries. What you have to try and do is.

close the gate. It seems that anyone can activate the lever to do it. Also have whoever is standing right at that opening have the defense buff on. Once the gate is closed move Jeff all the way to the other side of the upper high ground that you guys are on. As thats where the enemy will make their way to. All the while with Inca and Tatiana picking off any ranged units with the shooting. Use nebula to sleep エルネスティーネ (vasilisa's older sister)

Once the enemies start to make it up that winding path on the side towards your main hero you can keep picking them off with your gunners and keep jeff in the defend mode as much as you can. Make good use of the evade + counter attack skill too if possible.

With the ranged enemies dead by that point your ranged characters should be pretty safe behind the bone barrier that will separate you and jeff. With jeff defending + def buff should keep him alive enough for you to keep shooting the hell out of whoever makes it to the top while Nebula heals him if necessary. With エルネスティーネ sleeping she should be kept out of the picture too since its the mission objective not to harm her. So if she does wake up in the middle of whats going on use sleep on her again.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Parakeetman

It seems you guys like the combat...Is the story any good?

When is this releasing for ps4? Im def. interested.

Story seems to be ok for the time being, still waiting to see how it all plays out.

Right now all we know currently about the release date for the West is Fall 2014. From the last announcement. Nippon Ichi Software America will be the ones publishing it in the US. I wonder if someone can tweet NISA and ask them if something like the Omochidashi pack (PS3 or PS4 + Vita version) will be available in the West. As am sure folks would be interested in that too. Since it really is nice being able to UL / DL the save data to your PSN account and play on either the console or handheld when you feel like it.

Thanks a bunch! That helped out a lot. I was doing everything but had forgotten I had my sleep spell. Made a huge difference. Now onto the next stage.

Also if you have the ring that increases the chances of sleep working equip that also. If you already have not. As you will be needing that spell more in the future.

Parakeetman

Just a quick bump as added some info at the bottom which better explains the whole chain initiative system.

Putting it here also just for easier visual refs for those on mobile devices. This should be the most accurate with all the game time thats been invested so far and things tried out. Seriously understanding this before hand will save those who will pick up the localized version massive headaches from the get go. Not to mention its literally impossible to really advance later in the game without taking full advantage of the chain system also.

-------

*UPDATE*

Ok heres a slightly easier to understand explanation of how the initiative chain system works.

The easiest way I can explain the whole chain initiative is basically when it is a players turn, any action that effects your other team members will give them an extra turn (though using that extra turn pushes them back on the turn bar as if they had used their turn normally)

Attacking an enemy, all valid allies will be included. Which is why generally ranged is much more better than melee for starting this it seems.

Defending / using a skill such as ranged crit / accuracy up type of skills will give an extra initiative turn to any ally adjacent to the player

Using an item or spell on a player will give an extra initiative to all party members in same square as targeted ally.

Using an all party effect will give extra initiative to all party members. Such as Anca & Jeff's aura buffs.

As long as the character you are using is their turn and not a turn given by the chain initiative you can create chain initiatives for the other party members.

Even something like using a healing item from a distance will cause a chain initiative which I use sometimes even if the targeted ally's life is full. Allowing said ally to attack a target killing it, which removes it from the turn bar. Allowing my next party member to have their turn which I use to set off an all new chain initiative.

Hope that makes sense.

Going to attempt to clear the game tonight.

Shengar

Is there any friendly fire in the game? I quick read some impression and someone said that there is friendly fire.
Also, you gonna clear it, like finish the final mission?

Parakeetman

Is there any friendly fire in the game? I quick read some impression and someone said that there is friendly fire.
Also, you gonna clear it, like finish the final mission?

Yes there is friendly fire. I could have sworn I wrote that somewhere in the thread.

So you need to pay attention to whats in your LOS. Which is represented by the white line when using ranged weapons or area effect items such as Ancas bomb. Its only on manual attacks that you can hit your partners. Attacks set by the player.

Automatic attacks such as support fire / counter attacks will not fire unless the LOS is clear.

The pluton bolt spell can also hit allies if you are not careful.

Elevation does play a part in the game so higher ground = being able to shoot over heads of allies who are on lower elevation.

If I just force myself through the game I should be able to clear it tonight. The problem that limits that is the pluton though. Considering how much I had used from a previous boss fight. Have another bad one coming up and can imagine the usage isnt going to be light either. Since this game you really do rely on the magic of Nebula and his defensive buff spell along with healing. Cant imagine trying to beat the game without having a decent supply of pluton which takes a while to stock up on if you keep doing the free missions when possible as those eat up a good amount of time.

Back on the issue of friendly fire nothing worse than almost fucking up a successful run since you didnt line up a shot correctly or moved another character into a previously selected ones line of fire. With how trying to go for crits too is a big thing later on most likely if you get hit its going to be bad... Esp if its
Tatiana
shooting.

Despera

Banned
Well I'll be awaiting your final thoughts on the game once you're done with it.

Here's hoping the final boss is extra hard :p

Parakeetman

Well I'll be awaiting your final thoughts on the game once you're done with it.

Here's hoping the final boss is extra hard :p

Its pretty bad as it is. The only thing that could really make a "final boss" extra hard is if it has multiple turns in a row. Since the current bosses already can do an absurd amount of damage and nearly or can 1 shot the player without the defensive buff. And this is me going through on normal. Dear god Id hate to see what Hard mode is then.

Still have to say that this is a great unique title thats worth playing for someone who wants a challenge. I think the next question is what will NISA charge for it. If they can go for it, would say something around the 40 range would be fair. If they do the omochidashi pack sorta deal 60 for the console + PSV version. I wonder if they plan on releasing all of the platforms though since Id imagine that would be a bit costly considering if they go with physical versions across 3 platforms.

But the game itself with how it looks in general and from what Ive experience with the title the price point is what would have to be considered the most to get people to bite. As truthfully its not exactly the most impressive looking game. But the gameplay is there thats for sure. So will have to rely on the niche market to push it out to the public more and having a lower price point will make it easier to swallow for those who were convinced to take the jump. But am sure they know all of this and have confidence in what they choose for their business strategy. As these guys have been in the game a long time lol.

deim0s

@Parakeetman
How many hours you're in and think to finish the game? Did you do most/all of the side quests/dungeon/whatnot?

Top Bottom