• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog: The Last of Us at least around 12-16 hours long

Omega

Banned
action games should not be that long. after around 7-8 hours they become really boring

in an era where games are all flash, no substance, 12-16 is overkill

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ND's estimates are usually pretty close to my play times so this sounds great to me. This one may even take me a bit longer since I'll be looking for items and soaking everything in.

Counting hours is silly. The game should be as long as it needs to be, meaning there should be enough time to explore the game mechanics, story, etc and thats it. Its also silly because everyone is different. I never go back and play games on harder difficulties, but others do. Some people even go back to the game at a later date because they enjoyed it the first time so much, which I have done

action games should not be that long. after around 7-8 hours they become really boring

Nice of you to lump all action games together.

I see you've had extensive hands on time with this game to call it all flash and no substance?

Valnen

I completely disagree. Especially at the $60 price. A game is not worth $60 to me unless I know I can get at least 15-20 hours out of it.

Salacious Crumb

If the game play is as freeform as some people suggest I'll play it for much longer than that. If it's a more conventional super linear stop and pop game then it's bad news.

stryke

That controller lag must be padding the game time.

Eh, jks. That's a good time length honestly. Usually play through their games twice.

Omega

Banned
I completely disagree. Especially at the $60 price. A game is not worth $60 to me unless I know I can get at least 15-20 hours out of it.
i feel the same, but does replayabilty count? because Metal Gear Rising is probably 3 hours without cutscenes but its so worth it.

Uncharted got boring around 2/3rd in every game, so it doesn't seem like ND handles length well

stryke

Probably like Dishonored, Bioshock, etc.

Those are wide-linear to me, at least.

EDIT: Wait, are we talking environment?

I reckon think of the demo at E3 last year. You're not fighting down through a corridor. You're fighting down through a corridor with adjacent rooms, terraces, windows, balconies etc.

kuroshiki

Depends on the experience. If the game gives me the experience that is worth $60, I'm all for it.

People pay above >$100 for a baseball game which may or may not last 2 hrs.

Stark

Banned
I reckon think of the demo at E3 last year. You're not fighting down through a corridor. You're fighting down through a corridor with adjacent rooms, terraces, windows, balconies etc.

Yeah, so its in the same vein as them.

Replicant

If it's long because the story requires it that's fine. But if it's because it's been unnecessarily padded by backtracking and similar looking environment *cough*DS3*cough*, I'd rather they keep it shorter.

Maybe I'm just getting older, but unless it's an RPG or something that's intended to be a long game, I find that anything over a dozen hours or so starts to drag on.

Probably like Dishonored, Bioshock, etc.

Those are wide-linear to me, at least.

EDIT: Wait, are we talking environment?

there will be optional stuff to do. example from magazine

npc told you that there are weapon and supply on building A, but also said there are infected in there, it's up to you if you want to go in there and try getting those supply.

optional area also sometime prompt dialog between Joel and Ellie to flesh out the character a bit more, like in e3 demo, joel commenting on some werewolf movie poster.

Stark

Banned
there will be optional stuff to do. example from magazine

npc told you that there are weapon and supply on building A, but also said there are infected in there, it's up to you if you want to go in there and try getting those supply.

optional area also sometime prompt dialog between Joel and Ellie to flesh out the character a bit more, like in e3 demo, joel commenting on some werewolf movie poster.

Yeah, this game will end up near 30hrs for me. ><

Kumo

Didn't they say TLoU will easily be their longest game ever? I forget how long the Crash and Jak series were....

Oh well, still seems like a respectable length, given that the campaign will be heavily story-driven.

Mariolee

believeu2t425.jpg

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
yup, I remember my play through of MGS4 taking 35 hours.

God yeah, I remember wondering why the fuck the game was so hard too. Turns out it wasn't hard, I was just trying to play a stealth game in a third person shooter :\

But in all honesty, I don't think length matters too much if it feels appropriate / if it creates incentives for more replays.

Like I thought portal 2 felt too long and that ultimately took a toll on my enjoyment of the game, I began wishing it was just a movie instead of a game. Also if journey was longer the games message and pacing would have been destroyed and there is no way it would have been as impacting. While MGR may have only been 8ish or so if you watched every cutscene the first go around but being able to beat it quickly is amazing as i've probably dumped close to 50 hours into that game running through it multiple times.

But rarely will a game that has a beefy campaign length plus incentive to replay comes along, for me that's really just RE4. I could play that forever.

perfect length for a game like this. 15 hours is max for me when it comes to none rpgs. This game will probably take me 12-15. I always play my games on hard (if I like the game enough).

Top Bottom