• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need For Speed (2015) - Review Thread

RaZoR No1

This game is not that bad.
The tuning could be better and the physics... Well it's an arcade racer. You have to get used to it...

The issue with the automatic gearbox can be solved if you just let go off the throttle for a very short time, then it shifts down to a lower/better gear.

And with the cops... The best way to meet one is to start a race, even better if it is just a spontanious race.
Nearly everytime I was able to find a cop like this

Gamezone

Gold Member

MilkyJoe

Don`t worry. The always online is there in order to let the game evolve over time, according to EA.

How many times haven`t we heard this?

Amazing isn't it. Is there another pastime on earth that tries to bullshit it's followers in anywhere near this fashion.

Give it two weeks and check the used shelf at your local shop, this is going to be like a new kind of wallpaper.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Amazing isn't it. Is there another pastime on earth that tries to bullshit it's followers in anywhere near this fashion.

Give it two weeks and check the used shelf at your local shop, this is going to be like a new kind of wallpaper.

The crappy DRM is still there.

friend got this game and he says he can`t get on the server. It`s on the loading screen for the past 10 minutes now. Is there anything he can do? like open some ports in his router or something? he had the same problem in the beta. I told him to first rent it and see if it works before he spends 70€ on a game he can`t start... well.

nikos

I've been using the same car for most of the game. A couple of these races towards the end are getting tough. Wondering if it's time to buy one of the supercars. They don't excite me as much though, and my current car is as upgraded as possible at level 42.

Gamezone

Gold Member
friend got this game and he says he can`t get on the server. It`s on the loading screen for the past 10 minutes now. Is there anything he can do? like open some ports in his router or something? he had the same problem in the beta. I told him to first rent it and see if it works before he spends 70€ on a game he can`t start... well.

After reading feedback on their official Twitter and Facebook page, it looks like there are a bunch of server issues.

Tactica

Neo Member
I'm posting this question in the hope to just prove myself stupid, rather than find confirmation that the game is actually missing a massively substantial feature, I just wasn't able to find. So here we go:

Is there a way to set a way point manually on the map or to another player, like my friend, so that my GPS would help me navigate the streets of Ventura Bay to that set way point?
Now, I only seem to be able to set my GPS to missions and Snap shot points.

See, me and my friends we're playing the game and got separated to different parts of the map. He found a "Free" Car Part I hadn't found, so he stayed on that so I could drive to him. I was shocked to see, that the map didn't let me to set a way point to my friends vehicle or to a close by part of the map with the cursor.

jesu

I'm posting this question in the hope to just prove myself stupid, rather than find confirmation that the game is actually missing a massively substantial feature, I just wasn't able to find. So here we go:

Is there a way to set a way point manually on the map or to another player, like my friend, so that my GPS would help me navigate the streets of Ventura Bay to that set way point?
Now, I only seem to be able to set my GPS to missions and Snap shot points.

Nah there isn't.

Another problem is you can't filter which events you see on the map.
Something Rivals had.

Tactica

Neo Member
Nah there isn't.

Another problem is you can't filter which events you see on the map.
Something Rivals had.

I kinda liked Rivals, even got the Platinum Trophy from it, so I really struggle to understand how some basic features even Rivals had - also in this generation - are now absent. So many things in this one that just does not make any common game design sense.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I guess they're gonna heavily rethink their next game and all the dumb policies they put in place. Actually why not just give us a 60fps Burnout again?

You want an always online Burnout without a pause button in an open world without basic convenience features like "Retry"?

NFS requires an online connection to play, even if you choose to play privately without any outside players populating your world. This can be important since the game is unplayable if your network connection drops or the servers are on the fritz. In my play time I had two instances where my progress wasn't properly saved after I was dropped from the game. One time it didn't properly save an event I already completed, and the other it skipped forward past a cutscene I was about to enter.

Sounds like Sim City all over again.

Similar issue with Rivals but this game is supposedly using dedicated servers instead of peer to peer which was a major, major annoyance with Rivals.

Denton

How to fix NFS:

1) good physics
2) detailed dynamic cockpit view
3) day and night racing with variable weather
4) classic as well as exotic cars and prototypes
5) exotic beautiful locations
6) classy presentation with custom soundtrack, Need for Speed 1-5 style
7) offline play

Synth

You want an always online Burnout without a pause button in an open world without basic convenience features like "Retry"?

This kinda seems like the natural evolution, if you extrapolate what many people say about Driveclub vs other "unpure" racers. Minus the open-world of course.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This kinda seems like the natural evolution, if you extrapolate what many people say about Driveclub vs other "unpure" racers. Minus the open-world of course.
I don't know Driveclub, from what I have seen it is not nearly arcady enough for me to like it. But making games always online, open world, and taking away basic convenience features is just horrible. Racing games from my perspective work best with quick and easy retry functionality, fixed courses and of course the option to play always offline. Even though I'd probably hate the handling in Driveclub, I'd still prefer Driveclub over modern NfS...

Gamezone

Gold Member
How to fix NFS:

1) good physics
7) offline play

Not going to happen. Some of these will require massive gameplay changes. I can imagine dynamic cockpit view will require much work. The game was probably build with always online in mind. I don`t understand why the hell they thought this was a good idea after the backlash with Sim City. Hell, even every review is pointing out how garbage it is.

desu

Not going to happen. Some of these will require massive gameplay changes. I can imagine dynamic cockpit view will require much work. The game was probably build with always online in mind. I don`t understand why the hell they thought this was a good idea after the backlash with Sim City. Hell, even every review is pointing out how garbage it is.

I can only assume (and hope), forced by EA and not a decision by Ghost Games.

I tied the 10 hour trial and I just can't get into this game. The sense of speed is horrible and the filters really look bad. Always online was always bad but people trolling with it to mess up races suck.

Denton

Obviously it would require some work. But EA released two games with the best cockpit implementation ever - NFS SHIFT 1 and especially SHIFT 2. They could contract Slightly Mad for this (assuming they would be interested) or simply give Ghost more time.
Anyway, if they did that, I would be interested in NFS again. As it is, I will get Wild Run instead.

Bgamer90

Banned
How to fix NFS:

1) good physics
7) offline play

3, 4, 5, and 6 doesn't make much sense for this game considering they were pretty much going for a modern version of Underground.

Denton

3, 4, 5, and 6 doesn't make much sense for this game considering they were pretty much going for a modern version of Underground.

I was not talking about this particular game. I was talking about the brand as a whole (since it just hit another low point) and possible future games.
This is what happens when EA call their game Need For Speed without a subtitle. Dammit.

bud23

Stolen from reddit

yVqijKP.jpg

B1gQF3Y.jpg

Ygyztr7.jpg

Glorious.

I really want arcade racer for PS4, so i guess my only choice is Driveclub?

It isn't your only choice but it is a great choice.

The post-release content is fantastic and the base-game has a ton of great stuff already.

Plus it plays, looks, and sounds great so there's no way to lose with DriveClub IMO.

If you liked PGR or classic NFS games... it's the perfect game for now.

Top Bottom