• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need for Speed Most Wanted Confirmed for Wii U in 2013

Massa

Now this all sounds like a strange personal vendetta to get back at Nintendo for not getting their way? Like the Mass Effect 3 Special Edition FU and every EA Sports WiiU title having some strange missing feature.

I was happy to wait for Need For Speed Most Wanted when I read the 2013 news earlier thinking hey they needed more time. But these are some serious shit if true that the game is ready but they just want to say fuck you Nintendo seems like a very strange way to run a business especially if the truth got out and fans got pissed off.

No personal vendetta, just business as usual.

If they tried to use this game to get something from Nintendo and failed they can't just say "oh well" and support Nintendo anyway like nothing happened. They're losing money with this delay, but that's probably not as important as looking strong when the time comes to have these kind of negotiations with Sony and Microsoft about their next systems.

I got to be honest I am kind of annoyed now.

I finally made up my mind to get Mass Effect 3 for WiiU thinking the devs deserve the sales regardless of EA's shit. But if what ShockingA says is true... after saying for weeks that Need For Speed Most Wanted was my most wanted WiiU title I find it difficult to spend money on EA without feeling bad about it.

No personal vendetta, just business as usual.

If they tried to use this game to get something from Nintendo and failed they can't just say "oh well" and support Nintendo anyway like nothing happened. They're losing money with this delay, but that's probably not as important as looking strong when the time comes to have these kind of negotiations with Sony and Microsoft about their next systems.

so only the gamers really suffer when it comes to EA?

by the time it comes out Projec CARS or something else may just be what I pick up... I can get over NfSMW if I like voting with my wallet on what is the proper way to treat customers but I can't say NoA did not screw us on Xenoblade as well.

If they really wanted to make a point to Nintendo they should have just cancelled that version. Having it come late when finished is a fuck you to someone who was looking to purchase this.

EA will someday lose at this game.

PetrCobra

well... at least it's coming...

By the time it releases I'll be probably looking at a Steam/GOG sale for sub-10$ on PC. That's gonna be a hard decision to make, especially if Criterion makes some magical use of the Gamepad.

FyreWulff

What?

This isn't true, is it?

It is. Sony wanted to be able to print SNES CDs without paying a single cent in royalties to Nintendo. Nintendo 86'd the add on so Sony could never collect.

They basically would have made Nintendo a third party on their own console.

jmizzal

This game is ready.

The late release is in hopes that people will double-dip for some reason.

No, it doesn't make sense to me, either.

Its a pretty crowded launch for WiiU, they prob waiting for the install base to build and for it not to be in the crowd of games.

It should come in Jan, any later would be a bad move IMO

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Its a pretty crowded launch for WiiU, they prob waiting for the install base to build and for it not to be in the crowd of games.

It should come in Jan, any later would be a bad move IMO

It is a launch with zero competition in its genre, unless you want to include a mascot racer. This isn't a generic shooter going up against Call of Duty or the understandable Ubisoft decision to give Rayman some room against 2D Mario.

Its a crowded launch, but a late port with no additions is never a positive.

I am very glad to hear Criterion actually developed it themselves though. I take that as a good sign for a WU version of whatever their next game is.

It is. Sony wanted to be able to print SNES CDs without paying a single cent in royalties to Nintendo. Nintendo 86'd the add on so Sony could never collect.

They basically would have made Nintendo a third party on their own console.

never heard this part of the Playstation birth... It was always blamed on Nintendo when I read about it

jmizzal

It is a launch with zero competition in its genre, unless you want to include a mascot racer. This isn't a generic shooter going up against Call of Duty or the understandable Ubisoft decision to give Rayman some room against 2D Mario.

I agree it would be good to be at launch but EA has 3 launch games then a 4th would be competing with them, keep in mind most companies dont release games at the same time only at system launches. This launch is very good with core games, there is nothing wrong with spreading them out.

Yes a lot of people on these boards prob get 5 to 10 games in a month but most people dont, if it comes out a month or two late wont be as big a deal as some are thinking since WiiU is still gonna be new hardware with a lot of new buyers.

This is not a game that is gonna drop to 19.99 in a month, it may got from 59.99 to 49.99 but not much lower.

I dont like EA as much as the next person but this is not a big deal, unless this game is some how moved to Spring next year.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I agree it would be good to be at launch but EA has 3 launch games then a 4th would be competing with them, keep in mind most companies dont release games at the same time only at system launches. This launch is very good with core games, there is nothing wrong with spreading them out.

Nobody who owns a PS3 or an Xbox 360 who is buying a Wii U will or should buy Mass Effect 3 on Wii U.

Just get Trilogy once it comes out.

Now this all sounds like a strange personal vendetta to get back at Nintendo for not getting their way? Like the Mass Effect 3 Special Edition FU and every EA Sports WiiU title having some strange missing feature.

I was happy to wait for Need For Speed Most Wanted when I read the 2013 news earlier thinking hey they needed more time. But these are some serious shit if true that the game is ready but they just want to say fuck you Nintendo seems like a very strange way to run a business especially if the truth got out and fans got pissed off.

It should be considered that the devs working on the Wii U games for EA are not necessarily slacking off on these ports. It is displayed, for example, that Straight Right is putting a bit of effort into the ME3 port for Wii U, but EA themselves are setting them up for their efforts to be overshadowed by releasing the ME collection pack so close to Wii U's launch.

Ridley327

never heard this part of the Playstation birth... It was always blamed on Nintendo when I read about it

To be fair, how Nintendo decided to handle was the more visible side of the story. Who would care about the cause when the effects were so damning?

But yeah, Sony was not the benevolent little upstart company with a new vision for gaming that some people would lead you to believe.

Nobody who owns a PS3 or an Xbox 360 who is buying a Wii U will or should buy Mass Effect 3 on Wii U.

Do we know if the Wii U is getting the new and previous DLC? A voucher or coupon would make the Wii U version possibly earn that special edition title.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Do we know if the Wii U is getting the new and previous DLC? A voucher or coupon would make the Wii U version possibly earn that special edition title.

I think the Wii U version is getting every DLC previously released. Probably not the future ones.

Effect

It should be considered that the devs working on the Wii U games for EA are not necessarily slacking off on these ports. It is displayed, for example, that Straight Right is putting a bit of effort into the ME3 port for Wii U, but EA themselves are setting them up for their efforts to be overshadowed by releasing the ME collection pack so close to Wii U's launch.

The whole handling of the ME3 is what was the last straw for me. I feel bad for Straight Right because they seem to be putting effort into the game. However EA is undercutting what they're doing. Also are they just porting what EA is giving them and then moving?

EA is still releasing DLC for ME3 and there has no confirmation at all that the Wii U version would even get it going forward. Who would be porting it? This type of unknown is going to surround Need for Speed I think with it releasing next year instead of now. Those buying should be forewarned.

antonz

There was huge licensing issues as well as the original agreement gave Sony the ability to license software on the CDs. Sony looked at this as a way to gain control of franchises etc.

Yamauchi wasn't going to have any of that

I am. I don't want the trilogy.

But Need for Speed will be great on the Wii U when it releases. Glad they are taking the extra time to make sure of it, especially after Warfighter. They could have pulled a Fifa 13 or Madden 13 and put the game out and not included key features.

antonz

I am. I don't want the trilogy.

But Need for Speed will be great on the Wii U when it releases. Glad they are taking the extra time to make sure of it, especially after Warfighter. They could have pulled a Fifa 13 or Madden 13 and put the game out and not included key features.

They aren't taking the time on it.

WiiU version is done. They are sitting on it hoping gamers are so hardcore they will want to buy it twice once for their ps3/360 and then on the WiiU for their new console.

The truth is though they don't give a shit. Iwata pissed in Peter Moore's cheerios

RedSwirl

I can understand reasons behind what's going on with the other games:

With ME3, they probably don't have the manpower to port over all three games in time for launch. EA releasing the trilogy around the same time probably isn't an intentional move to kill the Wii U version - why invest in that project at all then? Some other division probably just saw a nice opportunity to throw that together in time for the holidays. Still, not including the $50 worth of story DLC is truly a dick move.

With Madden and FIFA, features are always sacrificed when they move those franchises to new hardware. This happened with the first current gen Madden games. Even if the Wii U isn't showing off graphics that are a huge leap over current gen machines, it's still new architecture that EA has to learn. I can get that.

Don't understand sitting on a finished SKU of Most Wanted though. The game would be unopposed in the racing genre on the Wii U at launch, and in the grand scheme of things it's just another SKU of one game. Only sensible explanation I can think of is that the features to fully integrate autolog with MiiVerse aren't there yet.

jmizzal

They aren't taking the time on it.

WiiU version is done. They are sitting on it hoping gamers are so hardcore they will want to buy it twice once for their ps3/360 and then on the WiiU for their new console.

The truth is though they don't give a shit. Iwata pissed in Peter Moore's cheerios

That I would love to see LOL

I'm poor as hell right now and can't afford the Wii U at launch. If this version comes with some/all of the DLC I will be all over it.

Dear Criterion, can you please add anti aliassing in this version? Imo the jaggies are ruining part of the experience. Te are highly distractive and unimmersive.

Hope this is ot too much to askon Wii-U. You still have time.

Neifirst

The reactions here are just a bit heated. If it's a January release, it's not that big of a deal, and it may be a smart decision.

There's an avalanche of games at launch, and it seems like all of the major 2013 titles like Aliens: Colonial Marines, Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101, and Pikmin 3 are coming in late February or March. Something needs to fill that space.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The way I have heard it/understand it:

About six months after the release of Hot Pursuit, Nintendo, EA, and Criterion were working on Wii U devkits to port the engine to the system. Somewhere along the line, EA got really insistent about Autolog being mandatory for anyone with a Nintendo Network ID (which, back then, did not have a name or enough information for EA to go on).

Something broke down and EA decided Need for Speed did not need to be a Wii U launch title.

Could it just be something simple like the Nintendo Network not being mature enough for EA to get the level of integration they'd need for autolog? It is unite an integrated and critical part of their game. So they simply decided to wait until they had more detail, which pushed it into next year?

And isn't autolog something you're signed into on ps3/360 too? There is no 'single player' game, you're always seeing results from others

AOC83

Banned
It better be 1080p and or 60 fps

1320851_o.gif

boyshine

I thought this was IN the launch window???

Just barely, it looks like it's going to be an early march release, so just within the 3 month window if you count december as the real launch month. But looking at how the in-race menu works in Most Wanted, and depending on how much I'll enjoy Horizon in the coming weeks, I might just wait for the Wii U version of Most Wanted.

crowded launch, what? Nintendo didn't even get some own launch racing game ready, so NFS would basically go up against that Sonic Race port (which is said to be half assed?).

I'm sure they know a simple port will get them absolutely nothing by that time on Wii U. They would have to put Mark Karts and Koopa shells in there to get someone to buy it.

boyshine

So... WiiU owners now will buy a PS3 or 360 just to get NFS a couple of months earlier??

WiiU/PS3/360-owners will buy the PS3/360-version instead of waiting for the WiiU-version. Most games have like 80% of the sales in the first weeks after release (a little bit different now in Q4, but still it's probably 90% done after the new year sales).. If you release a port after that you get a game that's competing with the other versions for 10-20% of the remaining sales (probably even at a higher price), and as a result you'll see Criterion dropping Wii U for their next game citing poor sales of Most Wanted :p I know it's going to happen.. lol

The reactions here are just a bit heated. If it's a January release, it's not that big of a deal, and it may be a smart decision.

There's an avalanche of games at launch, and it seems like all of the major 2013 titles like Aliens: Colonial Marines, Rayman Legends, The Wonderful 101, and Pikmin 3 are coming in late February or March. Something needs to fill that space.
It basically has to be January-March since it was on Nintendo's list for the FY. At least for Europe.

Top Bottom