• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2011 Anime of the Year Results Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011 was probably the best year for anime since 2007. Tons of great stuff got aired this year.

Nope, I disagree. The only anime in that top 10 list I would watch are maybe Steins;Gate and Redline. The other stuff just looks way too feminine; I don't like anime in that style.

2011 was probably the best year for anime since 2007. Tons of great stuff got aired this year.

Again, disagree. 2011 is the worst year I can remember since I started downloading subbed anime in 2006.

Edit: Nevermind, 2010 is probably the worst. 2011 is second worst.

Branduil

Nope, I disagree. The only anime in that top 10 list I would watch are maybe Steins;Gate and Redline. The other stuff just looks way too feminine; I don't like anime in that style.

Don't ask us to recommend good anime and then dismiss them offhand because they threaten your masculinity.

Solune

If you haven't watched Fate/Zero then, I'm sorry. Rider is the most badass manly man of anime for 2011.

Fate/Zero is anything but feminine. (You should check out Kaiji season 2 as well.) And while I can understand people who want their anime super-manly disappointed by there not being as much of that as there once was, one should be careful to distinguish one's personal tastes from a show's quality.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Again, disagree. 2011 is the worst year I can remember since I started downloading subbed anime in 2006.

I'm just quoting you because lulz.

Risette

A Good Citizen

It's honestly depressing that people think like this. Stop being insecure in your own masculinity and go watch Wandering Son, bro.

Fate/Zero is anything but feminine. (You should check out Kaiji season 2 as well.) And while I can understand people who want their anime super-manly disappointed by there not being as much of that as there once was, one should be careful to distinguish one's personal tastes from a show's quality.

The feminine comment was aimed mostly at the number 1. The other stuff doesn't look so bad; should have clarified that. I have watched fate/stay night and didn't really like it so I just skipped fate/zero.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
I remember when I use to watch 3 to 4 good new anime shows each season less than 2 years ago. Anime like Eden of the East, Durarara!!, Darker than Black, etc. Now, there is really nothing new worth watching. It is sad to see how far anime has fallen so quickly.
Lol wut, penguin drum is like objectively better than all those shows in terms of artistry and pure entertainment.

Branduil

The feminine comment was aimed mostly at the number 1. I have watched fate/stay night and didn't really like it so I just skipped fate/zero.

Well there's no harm in actually trying a show and seeing if your assumption is wrong. And I haven't watched Fate/Zero but pretty much everyone who has agrees it is monumentally better than the crappy DEEN anime.

The feminine comment was aimed mostly at the number 1. I have watched fate/stay night and didn't really like it so I just skipped fate/zero.

I haven't seen Fate/Stay Night but everyone who has agrees that it is terrible and Fate/Zero is a much, much better show. It's from a different director, different studio, and different author of the source material, so you shouldn't let your previous experiences with the franchise prevent you from checking out Zero.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The feminine comment was aimed mostly at the number 1. The other stuff doesn't look so bad; should have clarified that. I have watched fate/stay night and didn't really like it so I just skipped fate/zero.
Real men enjoy their magical girl shows and are not afraid to show it.

zeroshiki

I'm one of the people who liked Eden of the East but I wouldn't hold it as the gold standard for anime or anything :lol

The DEEN Typemoon stuff is all terrible. Given that Fate/Zero is a prequel that you can watch without seeing anything else Fate related, it's worth trying even if you hated the FSN anime. Just beware that episode one has some really clunky exposition.

Risette

A Good Citizen
SHAFT is the new GAINAX. Incredibly popular yet flawed works that the collective nerdom masturbates on.
Ugh, no. Please take this back and think about what you just said.

GAINAX has (had? lol RIP) tons of actual talent. SHAFT has like 2 people worth a damn.

syqmwg.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Denpa Onna is the best awful anime of 2011.
Ugh, no. Please take this back and think about what you just said.
Well, true. Outside of Evangelion and Top wo Nerae! old GAINAX couldn't make anything that actually sold. SHAFT has got them beat in the business-sense department.
GAINAX has (had? lol RIP) tons of actual talent. SHAFT has like 2 people worth a damn.
Oh wait you meant that.

One of the first anime I watched was sailor moon so I am not scared to watch more feminine oriented anime. I'm simply not interested with anime of that style anymore.

Edit: I would watch a sailor moon remake though.

I'm one of the people who liked Eden of the East but I wouldn't hold it as the gold standard for anime or anything :lol

I'm pretty sure I said good shows, not amazing. I just listed off three random recent anime that I could think of that were good. The point is the anime type that I normally like hasn't really been released in the last two years compared to the previous years.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
One of the first anime I watched was sailor moon so I am not scared to watch more feminine oriented anime. I'm simply not interested with anime of that style anymore.

Edit: I would watch a sailor moon remake though.
Out of all the anime in the top ten the only one that leans towards the girly side of things is probably Ano Hana, and that's stretching it. Most people would argue Madoka's main audience is fat otaku neckbreathers anyway.

zeroshiki

Yeah, Usagi Drop and Wandering Son appeal to *gasp* women too because hey, why not try to get a part of the other 50% of the population to watch.

Dresden

I wanted to mention that Iroha was kinda like that too, then I remembered the official body pillows and the bondage episode.

e: also since we're still ripping on the guy, Durarara was pure yaoibait and Eden of the East's character designs were cute girly shit by Chika Umino.

e2: also we all know the only reason anyone watched Darker than Black was for Hei being sexy.

I know what neutralgamer02 is saying, Anime definitely has a more niche appeal now. Seems like the quality shows appeal to the moe fan demographic. Which I just don't like either.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I know what neutralgamer02 is saying, Anime definitely has a more niche appeal now. Seems like the quality shows appeal to the moe fan demographic. Which I just don't like either.
Usagi Drop, Wandering Son, Penguindrum, etc, do not appeal to the "moe fan" demographic and are high quality shows.

There are also quality shows that do appeal to the moe fan demographic like iDOLM@STER but that's another topic.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Usagi Drop is both moé and manly. It's probably the manliest show to air in years too.

Usagi Drop, Wandering Son, Penguindrum, etc, do not appeal to the "moe fan" demographic and are high quality shows.

There are also quality shows that do appeal to the moe fan demographic like iDOLM@STER but that's another topic.

Usagi drop is moe. The quote in the OP even says so! And Wandering Son has a mature theme but isn't really my cup of tea.

I mean when I used to watch Anime regularly shows like Ouran Host Tea Club or Welcome to the NHK were along these lines and were a fun distraction, but now they seem to take up the bulk of quality anime.

And I never denied they can be of good quality.

Coxy

Usagi Drop is both moé and manly. It's probably the manliest show to air in years too.

as a certified beard wearing manly man I concur. Usagi Drop is as much about manning the fuck up, going against the flow and sacrificing yourself to do what's right as any badass you care to name

duckroll

Fate/Zero might be #5 in 2011, but it'll be #1 in 2012! WE WILL RETURN!!! :D

Can't believe Fate/Zero beat Wandering Son. Wtf.

Is it actually going to be called Fate/Zero season 2, or will it just start at episode 14? If it's the latter, don't know if it would be eligible.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Usagi drop is moe. The quote in the OP even says so! And Wandering Son has a mature theme but isn't really my cup of tea.

I mean when I used to watch Anime regularly shows like Ouran Host Tea Club or Welcome to the NHK were along these lines and were a fun distraction, but now they seem to take up the bulk of quality anime.

And I never denied they can be of good quality.
While we're learning that there are actually different categories of anime, Ouran is a property targeted towards girls.

Though I actually agree that the main problem is that certain markets have become neglected. If such entries were in the mix everyone would be happy.

Is it actually going to be called Fate/Zero season 2, or will it just start at episode 14? If it's the latter, don't know if it would be eligible.
Have 2nd half of seasons not been eligible before? It seems like people have been voting under the assumption that they are, especially for Chihayafuru.

I'm pleasantly surprised Wandering Son got as high as it did, considering the themes it deals with and how it deals with them isn't something immediately appealing to the bulk of anime fans.

I'm pretty sure it is being called a second season. Of course, I'll vote for Chihayafuru again this year and won't feel sorry for doing so.

Well I'm not the one that sets the rules, but I'd compare it to a long-running show that lasts several years. Would you call One Piece or Detective Conan eligible even though they started in the 90s?

I don't see a problem with someone voting for One Piece if they think that year of episodes was top 10 for the year. I don't know if it's really worth focusing on how the shows are branded/labeled, it should just be the best shows airing that year.

Branduil

I don't think action-oriented shows getting higher rankings is surprising at all. I'm actually surprised how well shows like Usagi Drop and Wandering Son did in the voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom