• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2012 Anime of the Year Voting Thread (voting ends January 29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

igSa96dipOl0h.gif

1. Code:Breaker - This was such a surprise for me this year as I didn't expect something quite so good. Fantastic effeects animation, strong sound direction, and a bizarre early juxtaposition of school hijinx against cold blooded murder made for something wholly entertaining. What really satisfied me is at its core it was an X-Men story complete with a Magneto-esque villain and gifted heros and villains fighting at the height of their power resulting in rather clever encounters. It's a shame it didn't seem to get much positive attention outside of AnimeGAF. It's a show born in the wrong era as it would have fit in quite nicely in the '90s.

2. Tsuritama - Not a wasted moment throughout in an engrossing tale of fishing and friendship. Its unique art definitely makes it stand out nearly as much as the wonderful character interaction that comes as a result of the relationships of the cast. I think my only regret with this show was not watching it sooner. I was torn between putting this at my #1 over Code:Breaker as it's truly something special but my #1 pick left me just a little bit more entertained even if it is objectively a lesser show.

3. Fate/Zero - A strong closing half to a great show. It's not without its hiccups but the good far outweighs the bad, especially given the focus on Kiritsugu, the show's protagonist, in the latter episodes. I tend to describe this show as the kind of show for those that lament the death of anime.

4. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure

Simply fabulous. It's big, it's loud, it's dumb, and it's entirely awesome for it all. This might have been my #3 if more Battle Tendency was involved. Phantom Blood was enjoyable but it's sort of lost what little luster it had left since Part 2 began.

5. Poyopoyo

What can I say? It's an endearing 3 minute show that displayed not only a remarkable level of consistency but amazing humor which is even more of a feat given how awful short format shows can be. I can think of maybe 2 or 3 duds out of 52 episodes. That's pretty good.

6. Arashi no Yoru ni: Himitsu no Tomodachi - Here's a strange choice and likely the only vote on the matter. It's a show about a goat befriending a wolf offering up a story that's never anything more than it appears to be. This sounds like underachieving but execution matters ever if the plots are unassuming as they are in this. The relationship between the main pair is portrayed as surprisingly natural and demonstrates a degree of continuity as their levels of implicit trust in one another grows through each ordeal or misunderstanding they endure. There's also something to be said about how the wolves are portrayed in this. At face value, they might be considered the bad guys but their entire impetus is taking care of their own family much like the goat herd protects their own. It's not so much good vs bad but simply nature taking its course which both sides understand. This can lead to amusing asides where each of the two families is shown handling the same situation in very different ways. Ostensibly a kid's show, it was entertaining, inoffensive, and the CG worked a little better than it ought to have thanks to the show's direction.

7. From Up On Poppy Hill - Goro didn't entirely fail on this one. The atmosphere was great, the soundtrack doubly so, and the backgrounds were beautiful. Even if it felt flat at times, it was still better than most things I watched this year.

8. Space Brothers - No doubt I'd have put this higher if I'd progressed further in the series. It was unfortunate I backlogged the episodes I did see were quite uplifting and spoke of better things down the line.

9. AKB0048 - When I heard about this, I hoped to get crazy and did I ever get that. Originally something I picked up to amuse myself with, I found myself not quite believing that was indeed put together nicely and featured a likeable ensemble cast. The stupidity of the overarching plot only adds to the charm.

10. One Piece: Episode of Nami - I'm still new to the franchise and had initially seen the Arlong Park arc a couple months back. I was cold to the first third or so of this but once it hit the flashback to Bellemere, it hit its stride. The action in the resolution was really fantastic and a great compression of multiple episodes via trimming fat that unnecessarily dragged it out in the tv series. In fact, it's how I expected things to go the first time I saw it. There was some nice rearrangement of things for the sake of flow and the move to make the Fishmen that much more menacing was a wise one.

LordCanti

1. Sakamichi no Apollon - It got a bit melodramatic at times, but it was probably the most enjoyable series I watched this year. I loved the ending as well.

2. Nekomonogatari - Kizumonogatari and Nekomonogatari are my favorite Monogatari novels (thus far) and Nekomonogatari is the only one that has been animated. Where Nisemonogatari kind of dragged on, Nekomonogatari was short and sweet. Don't get me wrong, there were parts of Nisemonogatari that I liked, just not all of it.

3. Shinsekai Yori - Some of the episodes were poorly animated and/or directed, but I really like the direction this show is going in. The universe is incredibly interesting (too bad the novels aren't translated).

4. Jojo - "JOOOOOOOOOOSTARRRRRR-KYOOOOOOOOOOO~!" what else needs to be said?

5. Space Brothers - Not the kind of thing I'd usually like, but it grew on me.

6. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - The only shoujo-esque series I watched this year (I need to see Chihaya and others still). This is one of the rare shows where I actively rooted against the main character getting together with the prescribed love interest. The titular Kaibutsu needs to get lost.

7. Nisemonogatari - I know it's not going to win, but I still have to give it a point. I loved Nekomonogatari more, but it's not as if I didn't enjoy Nisemonogatari. I'm super excited for the upcoming dual season Monogatari series.

10psi

Neo Member
1. Girls und Panzer
2. K-ON! Movie
3. Yuru Yuri
4. Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
6. Nekomonogatari: Kuro
5. Ano Natsu de Matteru
7. Shin Sekai Yori
8. Mysterious Girlfriend X
9. Daily Lives of High School Boys
10. Joshiraku

Frosteey

Neo Member
1. Chihayafuru ; I like how it looks, has pretty good music, and all the main characters are actually pretty likable except for the loser who isn't Taichi. How did I even manage to handle all this gripping karuta action.

2. Hyouka ; This is kind of a, um, really dumb show. But I liked the main cast enough to be pretty entertained despite that, and it is very pretty.

3. Kids on the Slope ; Haven't watched all of it, but it's good. Looks nice and hopefully will have neato music hopefully.

4. Persona 4 the Animation ; I am a huge, HUGE fan of Persona 4 but parts of the show just felt like such an uninspired retread that I'd prefer to experience it through another (fourth...) play through of the game (largely owing to the pretty middling animation quality of the show). But the new things it did eventually bring were very good, so I'm satisfied I stuck it through.

5. Nisemonogatari ; I enjoyed it mostly. A lot of it was entertaining in the same way I thought the first series was entertaining. But the, um, lewdness of it all got to be a bit much for me : (

Want to watch -

K-On movie
Nekomonogatari
Space Brothers
Fate/zero
maaaybe Sword Art Online

Special last place mention - Guilty Crown ; No no no : (

Decado

Much like the last 4 or 5 years, barely anything of interest to me was released. Alas, anime has strayed away from the style I like. A few things I like came out, though:

1. Berserk: The Battle for Doldrey - Better than the first movie.
2. Berserk: The Egg of the King - Honestly, I liked it because I remember the TV show fairly well. It's like a summary of the TV show with more aspects being animated.
3. Hellsing Ultimate OVA 9 and 10 - I preferred the earlier OVAs as things got pretty ridiculous late in the series, but it's still a bloody good time.

With the exception of the 3rd Berserk film I'm not really anticipating anything for 2013.

zeroshiki

I've decided to give up in trying to catch up and just vote the ones I've seen.

1. Hyouka
01hyouka.png

There's really not much left to be said about Hyouka. The show's relative merits have been argued over to death over and over. I will, however, talk about the alleged "slow start" of the show. I don't believe this to be the case. The much maligned first 6 episodes of the show served as a good introduction for the characters and set the "feel" of what was to come. These 4 characters are some of the most well developed and well refined characters I have encountered in an anime and I am glad at getting to see them develop over the course of the series. This is all without getting at the absolutely stunning visuals of Hyouka. A show about everyday mysteries shouldn't have such gorgeous visuals nor did it need it but KyoAni gave it to us nevertheless.

The first "kininarimasu" scene is my favorite scene in the whole show. It set up what the show would be about (Oreki is Chihaya's little pet) and showed it both literally with the hair wrapping around Oreki and figuratively with Oreki not being able to turn her down.

2. Chihayafuru
02chihaya.png

Last year, I promised myself I would vote for Chihayafuru this year so here I am. This is a really beautiful series with stunning art, great characters and godawful pacing. You would think that a show about some incredibly niche Japanese card game would be boring and you wouldn't be wrong. The show does well to make karuta seem kinda exciting and something to root for but when it goes too much into sports shounen mode, it takes the excesses of the genre and magnifies it by being about a boring card game. That being said though, the characters save this show and it brings out the best of the shoujo genre mixed in with sports shounen stuff. Basically a shoujo Adachi only with little emphasis on the romance part (ok so not Adachi). Btw, Chihaya-Taichi is true end.

3. K-On The Movie
03k-on.png

Alot of anime get cash-in movies. Really. Alot. Look it up. What is different about K-On though is that while it feels like more of the same from the TV show, that more-of-the-same-ness is what sets it apart because of how insanely high quality it is. At its core, the movie takes the themes of the 2nd season, that being girls being girls, hanging around, goofing off but it also tugs at your heartstrings with how it ends (which is basically a retelling of the ending of the 2nd season). The London part felt really tacked on though, I gotta say that.

K-On had the advantage of having some mainstream appeal so much so that it got a) a wide release; and b) did very well in theaters. For being a show about basically nothing, K-On is going to go down as being one of the most famous and best anime series in recent history.

4. Daily Lives of High School Boys
04nichijou.png

I gotta admit, I don't usually watch gag shows. Alot of the time, the referential jokes fall flat and/or too tied up in the events of the time that it loses its appeal really quickly. I actually skipped this show at first because of the concept and the low quality feel but eventually, I was motivated by all the positive comments and was not disappointed. This show doesn't take itself seriously. At all. It doesn't try to aim to be the best gag show but only a good one and it succeeds. There are some reused gags here and there and some skits do fall flat, but overall it was a laugh riot from start to finish.

5. Kids on the Slope
05apollon.png

Shinichiro Watanabe's return to weekly anime was met with mixed reviews. On the one hand, its beautiful and has some great music. On the other, ALOT of things happened. I dono, maybe because I was watching this week to week that it didn't feel THAT rushed to me. I did get episodes where I thought to myself how the hell this was all happening in the same episode but it didn't bother me too much. I enjoyed it for what it was and what it was was a good period piece coming of age story set to great music. Did it save anime? Unfortunately not, but the world is better for having it.

6. Humanity has Declined
06jinrui.png

At first glance this weird and quirky show would be something I'd have skipped on but through recommendation from people here, I gave it a try. It was weird, it was quirky and I had a lot of fun watching it. I wished there was more umm... sense to everything going on but I can't really complain.

7. From up on Poppy Hill
07poppy.png

This is kinda hard for me to rate since I saw this movie July of 2011. I do remember enjoying it alot so I had to find a place for it here. After the massive failure (well critically and in my eyes) of Earthsea, I was kinda apprehensive to hear Goro Miyazaki was doing yet another movie. The topic was very different though so I went in with little expectations one way or the other. While I thought the melodrama was a bit overwrought (that one plot point with the guy's family made no sense and was unneeded), I thought Goro did a good job of getting the "feel" of a non-fantasy Ghibli. Its about the nostalgia and the fun of being a kid. This movie actually made me look forward to seeing whatever Goro has in store for us next. I hope he sticks with the nostalgia and skips out on fantasy forever.

Apologies to the following shows that I couldn't get around to finishing/watching:
Girls und Panzer
From the New World
Tsuritama
Natsuyuki Rendezvous

Just discovered this thread ;)

I'm still behind, so much to watch and discover, but as a Deadline's a Deadline...

1) K-On! Movie

2) To Love-Ru: Darkness

3) Initial D 5th Stage

4) Mirai Nikki

5) Kokoro Connect

6) Chihayafuru

Wiseblade

1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; The intro themes alone make it the best show of the year.
1. Hunter x Hunter; A great adaptation of a great series.

mAcOdIn

1. Natsume Yuujinchou Shi
2. Moyashimon Returns
3. Natsuyuki Rendezvous
4. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
5. Kamisama Kiss
6. Jormungand
7. Jormungand: Perfect Order
8. Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb
9. Joshiraku
10. Humanity has Declined

1) Daily Lives of High School Boys
2) Aquarion Evol;
3) Psycho-Pass;
4) Kimi to Boku 2
5) Mysterious Girlfriend X
6) Binbougami ga!
7) Humanity has Decline
8) Beelzebub
9) Amagami SS+
10) Bodacious Space Pirates

igfMzQbFm9osC.jpg

sonicmj1

Every time I think about Wolf Children I have to suppress a :novid.

It's like they don't want to get their Oscar for Best Animated Picture.

Much like the last 4 or 5 years, barely anything of interest to me was released. Alas, anime has strayed away from the style I like. A few things I like came out, though:

1. Berserk: The Battle for Doldrey - Better than the first movie.
2. Berserk: The Egg of the King - Honestly, I liked it because I remember the TV show fairly well. It's like a summary of the TV show with more aspects being animated.
3. Hellsing Ultimate OVA 9 and 10 - I preferred the earlier OVAs as things got pretty ridiculous late in the series, but it's still a bloody good time.

With the exception of the 3rd Berserk film I'm not really anticipating anything for 2013.

I think you might like Fate/Zero, if you're willing to give it a little time.

Leezard

1) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure - One of the only new anime series I felt was worth watching. The adaption fits the feel of the manga, even if it gets a bit like a motion comic sometimes.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
1) Hyouka ;
As an initial detractor of this show it is kind of funny how much I've come around. As I familiarize myself with Hyouka more and more my respect for the series continues to grow. KyoAni offers something both wholly unique and unrivaled to viewers in spite of dealing with a topic not entirely unfamiliar. Astoundingly well composed on a presentation level, Hyouka's subtle handling of personal growth and maturation is its greatest triumph. The problems presented are a digestible means of presenting more complex topics that often revolve around realistic conflict. The mysteries of Hyouka are not black or white. Like Oreki, they happen to be grey. Character motivations here seem genuine, and there is no cackling villain beneath the mask of the culprit. Hyouka's smartly refined sense and style put it wildly ahead of everything else on this list.

2) Dusk Maiden of Amnesia ;
Dusk Maiden communicates information to the viewer on a visual level unlike any other show this season. It would be one thing if the show relied on a single visual trick, but its style pinballs around. Cramped and dark spaces become boxed in with appropriately bizarre framing, environments are washed out in blown out lighting, a diverse color palette clashes provocatively, and blocking is used to add depth to environments, and movement is created through scrolling. Perspective is also used to great effect, with an entire episode being based around a first-person view (slapping included). Dusk Maiden is able to create memorable scenes out of seemingly nothing with its surreal creativity.

The story is able to execute scenes that appropriately capture the weight of its subject matter. While mortality often becomes meaningless in media Dusk Maiden peels back its light and dark sides. While the soft-hearted nature of the show provides an excellent contrast, the show is dead on when it comes to the more serious moments. For a show that almost promises nothing out of the gate it carries phenomenal answers for what initially seem like trivial questions.

3) Girls Und Panzer ;
I never thought I would get a third Battletanx game for the N64. Thank you for everything GuP.

4) From the New World ;
I don't really have a lot to say about it right now before it finishes. From the New World presents a unique fantasy world and uses it to do more than throw spells and swords around. The subtext here is deep and I want to simply find myself drowning in it.

5) Mysterious Girlfriend X ;
This show is weird. Really weird. Normally perversion equates to senseless titillation, but MGX purposefully subverts the standard conventions of sex to offer its own strange and endearing take.

6) Jormungand (Perfect Order I guess if we are only voting for specific seasons) ;
Ugly and often reaching past what it is capable of, I cannot help myself from enjoying what this show tries to do. The large cast here winds up being pretty likable thanks to some excellent dialogue and multicultural exchanges, and Jormungand pays off on its story beats. Even the baseball bat to the head electronic music is charming to me.

7) YuruYuri♪♪ ;
Riddled with metacommentary, this show still wound up being a fun watch for me. Well made, but oddly dry at times.

8) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure ;
Panache incarnate. This show carries itself with a knowing swagger that is easily approachable and enjoyable to anyone looking for over the top action.

9)Jinrui wa Suitaishimashita ;
I enjoy this show for how off the wall it is, but wish there was something more cohesive and complete for it to show.

10)Accel World ;
I don't know why this is here. Fate/Zero used to be on this list. I think it was slotted pretty high at like #3. But I remember absolutely nothing about F/Z even though I kind of liked it at the time. I seriously could not tell you how it ended or who came out on top. Accel World was the most enjoyable show for me this year when it came to action, and at least it didn't take its stupid story stuff very seriously.
...yeah. I'll go back to my stall now.

nny

Didn't see much anime in the past year, so I'll just pick one:

1. Thermae Romae - What can I say, I have a soft spot for stupid comedies.

1. Fate / Zero season 2:
Really good. Awesome battles and some damn excelent episodes.

2. Girls und Panzer:
Considering the premise I didn't expect this to be actually good but it really was. So enjoyable.

3. Hyouka:
Even though some mysteries were a bit of boring I still very much enjoyed this. Also data animation. Best in the industry.

4. Nisemonogatari:
Shaft madness is always enjoyable.

5. Sword Art Online:
My guilty pleasure of the year. Plot lol but the series had great production values. Also I really enjoyed those tears.

6. Sakamichi no Apollon:
Enjoyed interaction between characters. Ending was little rushed though.

7. Shakugan no Shana III:
After abysmal second season it could only go up in quality. Still I thought that even on its own series was enjoyable. It had some nice battle scenes and actually rather decent and conclusive ending.

8. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Started out very strong but then episode after episode fell more to the shojo cliches. Still really enjoyable with awesome cast.

9. Accel World:
The idea between premise was rather decent but I really didn't like characters that much. Still those battle scenes alone are reason to include this to top 10.

10. Kokoro Connect:
Started out strong but got worse with every arc. Hated the last arc despite it getting most critical praise...

Edit: Almost forgot Tonari!

Faithless

1. Chihayafuru; Best anime of this year and last.
2. Sword Art Online; Silly, screaming, fighting, crying
3. Kids on the Slope; Went through and bought every album mentioned and every LP in the background of the music shop. Worth it.
4. From the New World; This reminds me of Noein. The good parts.
5. Guilty Crown; Guilty Pleasure
6. Berserk The Movie (Part 1); All a girl needs is some really big sword action
7. Space Brothers; Makes me miss when space was the coolest thing in the world

Tizoc

I only ever watched like two 2012 anime series:

1- Fate Zero Season 2: A great finish to a wonderful series, you live on in our hearts forever Broskander

2- JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: One of the best shonen series finally gets a faithful (for the most part) animated adaptation

1. JoJo Bizarre Adventure

Fabulous and manly. Soundtrack and VAs are top-notch

2. Tsuritama

Excellent take on fishing making it fun.

3. Gundam UC 5

Excellent production values and mecha porn.

4. Thermae Romae

So funny and entertaining despite looking like a Flash animation.

5. Binbougami Ga!

Excellent use of gags referencing other animes.

1. From the New World--Looks like shit a lot of the time, appears to have been made on a budget of change found in the couch cushions, and makes the weirdest decisions in composition and editing. Anime of the Year 2012, because sometimes all the craziness works, and works really well.

2. Humanity Has Declined--Worth it for the ED alone. Rest wasn't too bad, either. Funny, nice to look at, although not much going on beyond that.

3. Gintama--Wasn't particularly great by Gintama's standards, but Gintama is still Gintama.

4. Kids on the Slope--The manga is better, but the performances were quite good.

5. Tonari--Charming in spurts. Worryingly rapey.

6. Joshiraku

There are probably better series out there, like Tsuritama and Fate/Zero, but neither of those compelled me to watch more than a couple episodes, so this is my list.

cnet128

Banned
1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure ; The manly and the awesome are unparalleled. Thank you based David Production. Please continue until at the very least Part 4 (which is the best Part according to both me and Araki himself - are you going to argue with an immortal genius?).

2. Accel World ; This may be sort-of cheating, since it's the light novels that I enjoyed most of all, but the anime adaptation was thoroughly enjoyable too, had some gorgeous action scenes, and it's thanks to the anime that I got into the novels. Though I enjoyed Sword Art Online as well, I'd say this is far and away the better of the two Kawahara series.

3. Ano Natsu de Matteru ; Though I find the phrase somewhat overused and grating, "so many feels" seems to cover what this series did for me pretty well. Admittedly a number of those feels were feels of rage, but I guess that's what you can expect when the heroine is clearly the worst girl. Needs more Kanna kthxby.

4. Kokoro Connect ; My top three seems to be severely lacking in Sawashiro content (though JoJo will rectify that GLORIOUSLY if it ever makes it to Part 6), but that's okay, because Kokoro Connect is full of Sawashiro goodness of the highest calibre. The characters really carry this show, and Inaba was the best one. Not that the other characters weren't also good, because they were. Just...Inaba was better. You know?

5. Polar Bear Café ; There were a lot of lighthearted comedy anime that I enjoyed over the past year, but Polar Bear Café stands out among them for a variety of reasons. There's the unique yet wonderful concept of realistically-drawn animals just chilling out alongside humans as if it was the most natural thing in the world whilst subtly highlighting all the reasons why it's clearly not. There's the all-star cast (who would ever have guessed that Daisuke Ono's greatest role ever would be...a llama?) There's the music (the opening themes have been wonderfully catchy and continually stuck in my head, while the ending themes have been a wide variety of fun character songs coupled with imaginative animation). And last but not least, there's the sheer staying power (I would never have guessed that this series would run for a full year, but it did, and remained consistently entertaining every week). I'll be sad to see it go come Spring.

6. Hunter x Hunter ; While there is of course always still time for it to go to shit, so far this has been one of the most consistently high-quality shonen battle manga adaptations I've ever seen. The animation is good, the pacing is flawless, and it keeps on allowing me to rediscover the manga's unique and interesting plotlines in a much more enjoyable form than the manga itself ever did. The highlight of my Sundays for all of last year, and hopefully for quite some time to come. (This is also a series in which Sawashiro proves that yes, she can use the exact same voice she uses for various female characters for male characters as well, and yes, it will still fit perfectly and be just as awesome.)

7. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun ; NATSUME CAN YOU PLEASE JUST MARRY ME NOW. (Of course Natsume gets this from all the guys, in-series and out, so her response would undoubtedly be a resounding "no"...but I love her all the same.) And it's not just Natsume; the whole of the core cast really shines in this series, which did an incredible job of bringing a smile to my face every time I sat down to watch it. Props also for having a catchy opening theme, and an absolutely gorgeous ending theme (which doesn't get nearly enough love). The only negative I can think of about this series is that it ended.

8. Zetsuen no Tempest ; A lot of people seemed to think the story in this series got too ridiculous around the point when three or four characters spent multiple episodes standing in the same spot in a forest and arguing. Personally, I found that to be the part where the series became even more engaging and awesome. Because whilst when there is action, this series does it very well (indeed, the brief magical fight in the first episode was what hooked me on the series to begin with), I feel like the real enjoyment in it comes from watching the strange and unpredictable plot unfold, and in watching the interactions of the characters, who are all very flawed and self-interested to a fault, yet still somehow rather likeable. Oh, and it has Sawashiro goodness. You can never go wrong with that.

9. Chihayafuru ; The first three episodes of this series were probably its strongest. The extended flashback showing how Chihaya became so enthralled by the unique "sport" of competitive karuta hit all the right notes on a character level, and it was impossible not to become deeply invested in these characters and caught up in their enthusiasm. It also helped that the young tomboy Chihaya was goddamn adorable. Thankfully, while the series sadly had to move on from this flashback segment, it consistently maintained the engaging characterisation and infectious sense of enthusiasm for the game at hand. It actually inspired me to study the Hyakunin Isshu (the hundred classic poems around which the game of karuta is structured) for myself, which is certainly something. It also helps that the series has a unique and gorgeous art style, and some beautiful music to go with it, all adding up to an incredible atmosphere.

10. Hyouka ; If I had to pick one word to sum up this series, it would be "eyegasms". Yes, I'm aware that's not a real word. But it does describe what the viewer is going to constantly experience thanks to the most borderline-pornographic levels of animation quality ever seen in a TV anime. And it also describes what happens to Chitanda whenever she gets a little too curious about something. Which is often. Though the pacing is slow and the content is deliberately mundane, the subtle yet engaging character interactions and development, as well as the sheer production quality, make this a must-see.

---

And here are the honourable mentions, which I desperately wanted to include in the top 10, but ten slots is simply not enough! In no particular order:

* Mysterious Girlfriend X ; I consider myself fairly open and desensitised to fetishism in general, but the drool fetishism in this series was enough to make me physically uncomfortable for the first couple of episodes. I quickly got used to it, though, and I'm glad I did, because for all its lewd and bizarre themes and antics, it still managed to be a surprisingly heartfelt, charming and genuine take on the awkwardnesses of young love.
* Shin Sekai Yori ; The animation quality and direction in this series is at times bizarrely inconsistent, but it still manages to have a strong atmosphere all its own throughout, and the story is like nothing I've seen before. The pacing is unusual, and as a result the series is not always totally engaging, but it keeps me constantly intrigued to see what is coming next and to learn more about the unsettling world its characters inhabit.
* Sword Art Online ; The lesser of the year's two Kawahara series still had a lot to enjoy, but was overall distinctly more generic than Accel World, both in its characters and its setting. Despite starring the most textbook Gary Stu the world has ever seen and occasionally feeling a little aimless, though, it had plenty of adventure, plenty of emotion, and plenty of action. Now, if only the anime directors hadn't seen fit to cut one of the most enjoyable parts of the ALO arc...
* Yuru Yuri♪♪ ; I thoroughly enjoyed the first series of this when it aired, and I thoroughly enjoyed the second series just as much. The characters are adorable, the show is full of energy and humour, and of course there's all the lesbian subtext (or, er, just text?) to keep up the interest. Loved every minute.

...Honestly, I could keep going for quite a while with great series I enjoyed such as Psycho-Pass, Jinrui, PapaKiki and so forth, and I feel kind of terrible leaving them out, but...I suppose I have to stop somewhere. And this post is long enough already. So that'll have to do.

1. Fate/Zero: Okenos.

2. Girls und panzer

3. Jojo's bizzare adventure

4. Madoka Magica Movies

5. AKB0048

Worst Anime of the year

1. Sword art online

2. Eureka 7:Ao

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
2. Tsuritama
3. Girls und Panzer
4. Kids on the Slope

I've been backlogging it this year, so I haven't seen as many 2012 shows as I'd like to. Hyouka is still on my list to view, so unfortunately I can't vote for it (or at least, I won't vote for it until I've seen it).

Jarmel

Banned
So finally got around to this. I've been wanting to do some longer reviews for these shows but never got around to it.

1.Fate/Zero- Season 2
This was a masterpiece. There were some flaws near the end mainly due to some storylines being a bit more truncated than they should have been, however so much of this was beyond fantastic. This is the best work Ufotable has done and you can tell through every episode that they put everything they had in it. The characters are outstanding from the darker servants such as Caster to the more emotionless Kirei. Rider is a true bro and an amazing character from start to finish. Each character has their own story and background and the show by and large did justice by its large cast. The juggling of such a large cast can be fairly hard but Urobuchi does a masterful job not only developing these characters but making sure that each feels unique.
I would first like to praise the writing in the show. Although it's merely an adaptation from the novel by Urobuchi, that writing shines through. I've seen so many adaptations butchered that I should give praise when it's done correctly. Urobuchi did a fantastic job in the Type-Moon universe and his writing completely overshadows Nasu. Urobuchi is capable of telling a story of not only tragedy but redemption and his work in the novels beat out Madoka. While again, certain things had to be truncated for the television series, Ufotable did a fairly good job with the time allotted to them. Urobuchi took Nasu's world and wove a narrative that intermingles so many emotions on a grand scale.
Fate-Zero-11-gif2.gif

A true king
The directing was sublime and I can't give it high enough praise. The camera shots in some of the later episodes such as 'the church scene' are some of the best I've ever seen. Certain scenes are handled amazingly well such as Caster's introduction where scenes are allowed to linger the appropriate time. Aoki did a great job handling everything and even let the newbies at Ufotable have a shot at the penultimate episode. The show as a whole oozes atmosphere due to the color palette and lighting. The backgrounds in particular are great and bring a strong sense of location to the show. The action scenes are stellar and really stand out. Episode 4 set the standard for action in the show and it was a fairly high bar to maintain. Speaking of animation as a whole, the animators did a job that they can be proud of. Even the CG for the most part, except for the aerial battle and the car gif, was handled extremely well such as in regards to Berserker.

There is the soundtrack by Yuki Kaijiura that is a perfect fit. She really outdoes herself and the music really highlights the tragic undertones of the show. The booming sound that she brings is a really great addition to the show. The soundtrack by itself is a pleasure to listen to. Visuals by itself can't do all the heavy lifting in a show and Kaijiura picks up the slack.
If there ever was a show in the past few years I could recommend whole-heartedly to my friends who are either starting anime or getting back into it, this would be the show. No hesitation when I say this is the best show that has come out in years.

2.Tsuritama
This was another masterful show. Nakamura redeemed himself fully after the shitfest that was C – Control – The Money and Soul of Possibility. So many things to praise about the show. There are the outstanding visuals with such a gorgeous color palette and even chokefull of sakuga moments. The show really feels alive at times and brings a sort of charm that makes a person fall in love with the show. The soundtrack also is a blast to listen to.

There are the characters, all of whom are outstanding. Each has a very well developed story arc with payoff moments. By the end of the show, the characters have changed and the audience has watched as the characters have cried and struggled. At the end, the cast are strong friends and Nakamura makes the audience feel like they're a part of the gang.
The premise itself sounds pretty boring. A show about fishing right? Nakamura somehow makes it a grand adventure with danger and really raises the stakes. It becomes something much more than the premise leads on and really becomes an epic at the end.

The show never feels like its dragging on and after episode 3, is a fantastic ride through and through. It's a show that not only has character but heart.

3.Kokoro Connect
For a show that looks so generic on multiple levels, it turned out to be truly something exceptional. While other shows such as Ano Natsu de Matteru seemed to delve ever deeper into the murky waters of drama, Kokoro handles it in a superior manner. It might become a focus on the show, it however never remains so.

The core cast other than Taichi also develop and become stronger as characters. That said, Taichi is the major weak link in the show due to a couple of reasons. The first is that Taichi never really breaks down and remains for the most part, this impassive observer. This is a big problem for the main lead. The other is that Taichi isn't really analyzed in any deep manner unlike the rest of the cast. Other members of the cast do note this, however nothing is really done on the author's part to correct this. The other characters though are pretty fantastic especially Inaba. She really brings the show to life in later episodes and is a great character all on her own.

The animation and visuals aren't particularly impressive but they're not bad either. The artstyle itself is also pretty generic. Team Neko though does a pretty good job of handling the music in the OPs and EDs.

The strength of the show lies in its writing and the show does a fantastic job balancing both the darker moments but also the lighter ones and knows how to use both appropriately. It's a show all about the characters and it's a damn good one at that.

4.Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
This was another romance show that was handled exceptionally well. The directing was topnotch for this. The transition shots are handled really well at times and even the storyboarding is used appropriately to play with perceptions. The visuals are great and the show has a really lively artstyle that makes it fun to watch.
The characters are all a blast to watch. Natsume is too good for the likes of mortals. How many girls do you know who can be classy after throwing up? Huh? All the characters though really are fun and there is a strong group dynamic that makes everything better. The audience also does get a strong sense of the core relationships.

That said, the show felt like it was spinning its wheels near the end. While it never really got bogged down in drama, it just felt like it wasn't progressing at an appropriate speed. Also there were some pretty big background stuff that was left unresolved, mainly in regards to Haru.

That said, I normally don't watch shoujo but this was great. I might make a more pointed effort if there are more shows of this caliber in the genre
I'm sure there are

5.Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

This has just been flat out fun to watch. While the show is obviously on a low budget, David Production has used every cent to create a show that is a blast to watch. The plentiful use of manga inserts throughout the OP and the show itself also serve to remind you about the manga source. It feels very 80's in execution but that sure as hell isn't a negative. The characters are very old school in regards to that whole black and white morality and it's actually kinda refreshing to see a villain that is completely unafraid to be a villain purely for kicks.

The second arc, which was just starting at the end of 2012 though, is where the gold is at. Joseph in three episodes managed to completely outdo JoJo.

All in all, it's a very puristic show which is unashamed of its roots and is a great show to lay back and watch.

6. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita-
This was a great black comedy. The jokes are on point and the show can be so over the top while still maintaining that bit of social commentary. The artstyle, mainly in regards to the coloring is wonderful and brings a sort of uniqueness to the show. Watashi is a great female lead. I love sarcastic and cynical leads and she was phenomenal at it.

That said, the show does have some pacing problems in the middle but the early and final episodes are very strong. I also like the non-chronological aspect of the episodes themselves.

-Honorable Mentions-

Hyouka-

The reason this show didn't make it on the list is primarily for two reasons. The first is the pacing. Parts of the show can really drag and are for the most part, unnecessarily long. A perfect example is the film arc where the point of the arc is dragged on for far too long. The second is that of the mysteries themselves in that they are so amazingly mundane that it actually becomes annoying. The show also wastes too much time analyzing the mysteries so the mysteries themselves ultimately should be judged with the rest of the show. In short, both of these can really make the show be a bore at times.

That said, it's also a fantastic character study piece and does an excellent job bisecting Oreki, Satoshi, and Mayaka. There is some real character progression over the course of the show and some of the themes, and particularly messages, in the show are really fascinating to study.

The visuals are also beyond topnotch. Truly. This is one of the most gorgeous television shows I've ever seen. The detail is comparable to a movie or OVA not only some of the time but most of it.

Hyouka21_01.jpg

Mayaka would be better though if she was fat. Gobble that chocolate you pig.

Nekomonogatari-

This was another fun show. It didn't have any particularly outstanding message or really any, but the characters are so much fun.

---

This part of my post is dedicated to two shows, SAO and Eureka Seven AO. Both are shitstains on my memory and I want to record that. SAO has been written up multiple times as to why it's an awful show so I'll just leave it at that.
iXtx8bEyXXXK2.gif

If only the animation and visual direction was matched by the writing.

Now as for AO, this is the biggest fuck you I've gotten from a writer since playing the Mass Effect 3 endings. The show started off with such promise. The first three episodes looked to live up to the legacy of the original series. They had fantastic animation, good music, seemingly good characters, and solid animation.

Hell even some of the later episodes all the way through roughly 14 seemed solid enough. Not exceptional but solid. There seemed to be an underlying political message and some sort of good overarching narrative. We even got some more art from the fantastic Kenichi Yoshida in ep. 13, who dearly miss. He really needs to do more character designs on shows.

Then the shitty writing kicked in. I don't know who to blame, either Aikawa or Kyoda. Kyoda was responsible for the awful E7 movie but Aikawa is also responsible for some serious stinkers. Either way, oh boy. They created a script that would make either Lindelof or Mac Walters proud. Speculation for everyone indeed. They created a show that not only retconned large parts of the original but also served to undermine the main message of the original. The writing almost seemed to deliberately spite fans of the original. It's bad enough they had time travel that wasn't handled anywhere near appropriately enough, they also had retcon cannons and godlike individuals running around. There are subplots that are brought up and promptly dropped.

The characters themselves also deserve to have an axe taken through them. We have the shitty Truth. What is Truth? I don't give a shit. There is Naru who is seemingly important then promptly dropped and forgotten about. We have Elena, who had one of the most anticlimatic buildups I've seen in awhile. Ao is certainly better than early Renton and Ivica is a less annoying Holland but both are shallow reflections compared to their E7 counterparts. Really none of the characters had good writing attached to them.

Fuck the writers involved with this damn mess. I never want another sequel from BONES ever again. They screwed up once with DtB and they somehow had a bigger fuckup with AO. I'm done son. Duckroll did an aptly good summing up this pile of dog shit.

Episode 22 (END?)

Terrible. Awful. Disrespectful. Insulting. Lame. Dumb. Pitiful. There are so many ways to describe this episode, but ultimately all those descriptions can be labeled on the show in general. It is clear now that there was always a plan for E7AO. It was just an awful plan, written in a way which would never be satisfying, and going in directions which served no purpose.

- Every single major character development in the show is pointless

- Every single subplot in the show leads to a dead end which gets negated

- Every single faction in the show is inconsequential

- Every single threat in the show does not build up to anything

- Nothing the characters have learned in 22 episodes mattered in the end

- There is no worthy foe in the entire series

- Nothing in the original Eureka Seven series really matters

- Nothing in Eureka Seven AO really matters

- The entire show was just an excuse to try and milk something out of old fans while attracting a new audience with new characters

- In the end the show never intended to satisfy the old fans nor the new audiences

It's sad, because this episode has some of the best mecha action since ep14 probably, but it's so hard to care because at this point it feels like a few capable animators just furiously jerking off onto their canvas hoping that the cum will cover up the disgraceful piece of work under it. But as their spent seed slowly drips off the canvas, their left standing there with their pants down, holding their limp dick, and their disgrace and shame is visible both on the canvas and on their face.

Fuck this show, and fuck everyone who wasted their time working on it.

The sakuga and music are literally the only thing going for this show. It's a shame too as the soundtrack is phenomenal.

trejo

Okay, here we go. No comments this time because eff that.

1) Space Brothers
2) Daily Lives of High School Boys
3) Humanity Has Declined
4) Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
5) Fate/Zero
6) Kids on the Slope
7) Tsuritama
8) Chihayafuru
9) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
10) Hyouka

Honorable mentions in no particular order:

- Natsuyuki Rendezvous
- Wasurenagumo
- A Letter To Momo
- Binbougami ga!
- Minori Scramble
- AKB0048
- Mysterious Girlfriend X
- Nekomonogatari Black
- Kyousogiga 2
- Sankarea (first 3 episodes only)
- Teekyuu
- Thermae Romae

Special Reki Kawahara Award for Outstanding Achievement In Unintentional Comedy With Shitty Pandering That Nonetheless Makes You Feel Bad For Somehow Watching The Damn Thing Because You Hate Yourself Though Some Of The Fights Were Sorta Kinda Cool I Guess:

- Sword Art Online
- Accel World

Branduil

1. Hyouka

Where to begin? Without a doubt, Hyouka is 2012's most beautiful anime, with luscious background art, skillfully executed photographic effects, and abundant, expressive animation. But to be the best anime of the year, you need more than just a pretty face, and this is where Hyouka's startlingly great script comes in, along with the skillful direction of Yasuhiro Takemoto(The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya), and a score that rivals Kouhei Tanaka's(Gunbuster/Diebuster/One Piece) best. What seems to be a rather ordinary high school series grows over time into a remarkably mature and bittersweet character piece, best captured in this track from the OST; what really sets it apart from other similar series is the believability of the characters and the world they inhabit. Some may find it slow, or the mysteries trite, but those with the patience and interest will find themselves well-rewarded. The only downside to watching Hyouka is that it will raise your expectations for how good an anime can look.

2. Shin Sekai Yori

The series isn't finished yet, but what it's achieved so far is too admirable to go unacknowledged. One of the most intelligent science fiction works in recent memory, it's a rare work that actually takes it's genre seriously, and painstakingly examines what would happen in a world where a portion of humanity suddenly gains telokinetic powers. This isn't the kind of story where the writer just decides "wouldn't it be cool if they could do x," the worldbuilding is thorough and consistent with the premise. Much of this is probably due to the fact that it's based on a true novel, rather than the typically thoughtless light novels which seem to be more designed for RPG stats than anything else. First-time series director Masashi Ishihama uses the trademark flat-shaded style he's used as an animation director, and the character designs are solid and expressive, if inconsistently modeled. Despite a couple of bad episodes early on, for the most part the series has great storyboarding and direction that maintains a sense of dread and tension throughout. A must-watch for anyone looking for maturely-written anime.

3. Fate/Zero

Far better than it has any right to be based on its origins, Fate/Zero has earned this spot due to Urobuchi's great sense of dramatic writing, Ufotable's strong production design, and Ei Aoki's adaptable directing style. There are a lot of series which promise much and deliver little, but Fate/Zero's second season delivers everything it built up to and then some. Deftly weaving together stories of tragedy, heroism, depravity, bravery, violence, and hope, Fate/Zero manages to give us insight into the minds of each character, whether good, bad or mostly inbetween. It is only marred by some underdeveloped resolutions during the finale.

4. Kids on the Slope

See you again, Space Cowboy! Watanabe's back, and even though the subject matter is a little different(but not too different; we've always known Watanabe loves Jazz), the sense of style, complex framing, and depictions of comraderie we know and love are all there. It's not on the same level as his best works, and there are some pacing and ending issues due to adaptation compression, but overall it's still a wonderfully told story of friendship and love in '50s Japan, with some of the best musical performance scenes ever done in anime.

5. Wasurenagumo

One of the 2012 Anime Mirai shorts, Wasurenagumo is a work that really ought to be watched before it's discussed in length. A remarkably bold story, especially in the current anime climate, with an ending that has to be experienced to be believed.

6. K-on Movie

It's K-on, it's a movie, it's fun to watch for two hours even if it doesn't mean much more than that.

7. Tsuritama

After the incredibly disappointing and stunningly ugly -C-, Kenji Nakamura makes a triumphant return with the companion series to Kids on the Slope. Rendered with vibrant colors and stylized, simple backdrops, Tsuritama is a joy to watch and pulls off the increasingly complicated nature of its plot with surprising agility. At its heart, though, it's a coming-of-age story about friendship and becoming your own person. Haru's enthusiasm can be trying at times, but it's offset by endlessly entertaining antics of the overly-serious Yamada and his duck Tapioca.

8. Humanity Has Declined

One of the most interesting dark comedies to be found in anime. Episodes 3-8 range from boring to middling and if the whole series was of that quality, it certainly wouldn't make this list. The reason it does is because the first two episodes are some of the best anime comedy in years, and the last four episodes do a remarkable job of adding nuance and depth to the world and the Mediator's character, as well as providing some dark laughs. It also helps that the art direction is so uniquely beautiful.

9. My Little Monster

An unusually watchable shoujo with fun character antics and great art direction from Brains Base.

10. Space Bros

Screw Chuunibyou.

Honorable Mentions:

-Patema Inverted: The Beginning of the Day

I'm not ranking this because it's just the prologue to a longer film, but the director of Time of Eve's next work definitely deserves a look. The scene with the "batman" is incredibly intense.

-Dudu the Floatie

Another Anime Mirai short with really great animation and a cute, touching story of familial bonding.

-Minding My Own Business

A depressing but necessary Anime Mirai short about bullying.

Dishonorable Mentions:

-Sword Art Online

-Chuunibyou

Transcendent Mentions:

-Black Rock Shooter TV

Mari Okada is truly unlike any other writer in the medium.

Kagami

No time for comments!!

1. K-On! Movie
2. Ano Natsu de Matteru
3. Strike Witches Movie
4. Bodacious Space Pirates
5. Kokoro Connect
6. Queen's Blade Rebellion
7. Yuru Yuri ♪♪
8. Girls und Panzer
9. Mysterious Girlfriend X
10. Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse

Articalys

And that's a wrap! Thanks to everyone who voted; I'll try to get the results thread up within the next 12 hours or so, though it may slip a few hours behind that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I just want to say that Joshiraku deserves an honourable mention. Second parts always let it down though. That and I ran out of slots on my top 10 when I randomly thought of titles on a first come first serve basis. I don't want to edit my vote post because it will add a timestamp post closing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom