• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2012 Anime of the Year Voting Thread (voting ends January 29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

1) Natsume Yuujinchou Shi
2) Tsuritama
3) Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
4) Fate/Zero 2nd Season
5) Kids on the Slope

That's all.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
1.) Hyouka
2.) Tsuritama
3.) K-ON: The Movie
4.) From The New World
5.) AnoNatsu
6.) A Letter to Momo
7.) Kids on the Slope
8.) Fate/Zero S2

Can't think of anything else.

Westlo

1/ Sword Art Online
2/ Medaka Box 2 Episode 12 (don't want to vote for the rest of that shit)
3/ Jojos.
4/ Girls unz Panzer

Kawahara da gawd, we are not worthy.

Basch

Well, I know which shows I won't include in a top 10, even if I haven't seen 10 shows to completion yet this year. The following don't deserve a ranking of any sort: Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, Ixion Saga, Magi, or Sword Art Online. And then there are shows like Rinne no Lagrange and Natsuyuki Rendevous that weren't bad but weren't good enough to be included in a Top 10.

In summary I need to see/finish more shows. As of now, the only one I'd consider including is Humanity has Declined despite the uneven pacing and some rough spots here and there. Nah scratch that, Psycho-Pass definitely deserves a mention somewhere, but I'll have to think about where, though to be honest I want to see how it finishes (so it might not get my vote for 2012). I guess I'd consider Zetsuen no Tempest. Oh forgot about Guilty Crown. That would gain a spot somewhere.

Just some random thoughts. I really need to see some more stuff. January 29th? I think I could manage. We'll see.

EDIT: Accel World was pretty good too now that I think about it. Kind of in the same place as Humanity has Declined for me though.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I barely watched anything so...

1) Humanity has Declined ; Very enjoyable MC and different flow
2) HELLS ; Stuff happens which is enjoyable
8) AK0048 ; It almost went Madoka route, then it didn't. OH WELL. Shit's real dumb.

I don't really want to put anything else on the list.

-Stranger-

Didn't watch much but I'll list these.

1. Kids on the Slope
2. Tsuritama
3. Space Brothers (in progress)
4. Hyouka (in progress)

I also saw half of Eureka Seven AO, but I've dropped it since...

yami4ct

Man, almost missed this thing's existence. Been out of it for a while. Ok, here we go.

1.Hunter x Hunter ; Magical. Perfect adaptation of an amazing manga. So tense and fun. Just amazing to watch week to week.
2.Jojo's Bizarre Adventures; Just fun. Manly men, evil villains, great fights. Everything you'd want from an action series. Rides the line of cheesy and fun really well.
3.Tsuritama;Beautiful animation, great writing, amazing characters. Almost nothing not to like.
4. From the New World; This show has had its ups and downs, but has been on a really good track lately. When it's good, it's amazing. Frightening, atmospheric, tense. Great use of a totalitarian society. One of the most interesting watches of the season.
5. Fate/Zero; Didn't love the first half, but once it gets going it's great. The scheming, conniving and backstabbing is all really well executed. Fascinating to watch.
6.Space Brothers; Slow, at times, but has a ton of heart. Well written dialogue makes the characters really believable. Funny as hell, too.
7.Hyouka;Haven't got a chance to finish, so it's lower than it probably should be. Show has a ton of style. Neat characters as well. Mysteries may be dumb, buy they make sense. Just likable.
8.Kids on the Slope; Maybe no where near as good as Watanabe's previous work, but good none the less. Amazing use of music. Such great jazz playing scenes. Relationship drama doesn't work 100% of the time, but it does work well quite a bit. Not perfect, but enjoyable.
9.Gundam UC 5 ; Not as good as 4, but some of the best mecha action around. Beautiful to look at it. The story is building really well. Cannot wait to see it finished.
10.Persona 4: The Animation; Lazy, lazy, lazy animation. Ugly as sin, mistakes everywhere, and action manages to be more boring than turn based RPG combat. Still, it's persona 4 at it's heart, and a pretty faithful adaptation at that. The core greatness of the story and the lovable characters do shine through and make this a worthy watch.

BluWacky

I didn't finish many shows in 2012 - I mostly seem to have watched films that aren't out on disc yet! - but I will vote anyway to give the shows I did finish and liked a score. These three titles are all things I genuinely liked, rather than filling spaces for the sake of it.

1. From The New World - it's had some shit episodes, which I guess should mean it shouldn't be my number 1 show of the year, but this is "the show" of 2012 for me and could well recapture that honour in 2013 if it continues to play its cards right. I love creepy sci-fi like this and when the show gets it right it's fascinating to watch.

2. Kids On The Slope - yeah, it was rushed, but there were so many moments of magic that it didn't really matter, musical or otherwise. I even liked the subplots that other people didn't!

3. A Letter To Momo - I can't vote for the real best movie of the year because Wolf Children isn't out on disc yet. So Momo, a very good film in its own right, gets ranked instead.

Not ranked but eligible would be From Up On Poppy Hill (it was fine, I just don't want to rank it) and Rainbow Fireflies (too sappy).

Not ranked but ineligible would be Wolf Children (acebest), Blood-C The Last Dark (pretty much what I expected it to be), and Nerawareta Gakuen (of which I am the world's only fan).

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Here's my list.

1.) Fate/Zero - This is the pinnacle of 2012 and for it to happen so early made everything after it sort of a disappointment. Fate/Zero brings a movie quality experience straight to the television. It's high production values create absolutely stunning cinematic fights, an unforgettable soundtrack with exhilerating music. Top this off with a narrative that engages straight from the beginning and paced well until the end and you have a damn good anime. Fate/Zero is a damn good anime and my time spent with it is an unforgettable one.

2.) Hyouka - I'm a sucker for high school drama and mystery. Hyouka is an interesting case because it brings together four characters that I couldn't give a damn about but made me give one by the end of the show. Nearly every episode crafts an interesting situation and develops the characters towards an interesting way. By the series' end the payoff for seeing their growth is immense especially the main character Hotarou Oreki. If you're looking for a bit of slice of life, a bit of mystery, a bit of drama, and time well spent then this is the show for you. I'm glad this was a show well spent for me.

3.) Tsuritama - This show was fun. Just pure fun. Have you ever opened a book when you were a child and there were colors flying around everywhere and the plot was so amusing and entertaining that you couldn't let it go. This is exactly what it is. Tsuritama is a visual spectacle that never lets go and its childish innocense presented in the simple narrative is representative of that. Fishing. The show is about fucking fishing. However, it's a story about how fishing brought together four friends to save a world BY FISHING. It sounds stupid but watching the show is anything but.

4.) Accel World - Accel World had a lot of stupid stuff but it was entertaining from beginning to end. The premise of a futuristic fighting game affecting the real world by giving cheat points that you can use in real life is an enthralling one. The characters are extremely stereotypical but the action sequences and how the characters integrated their life with the game made the show interesting and compelled me to watch it from beginning to end with joy.

5.) Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai - Chuunibyou has a special place in my heart because all of the antics that these characters undertake have a sense of sincerity. What they do reminds me of what I used to do as a child and how even now I am reminded of how cool it was but at the same time stupid. This show is a callback to my inner child and reminds me of how we are never adults but we're never children. It's an enjoyable show with a good amount of drama and while the ending was disappointing, the ride was fun nonetheless.

Best OST - Guilty Crown

Best OP - Key Plus Words - Persona 4 The Animation OP 2

Best ED - Departures - Guilty Crown ED1

Worst Show - Gundam AGE

Fuck You Show - Eureka Seven AO

Arcticfox

Longtime lurker checking in. Thanks to Crunchyroll and Hulu I watched several times more anime in the past year than in any previous year. Here are my rankings.

1) Space Brothers - Nothing was more enjoyable last year. I like the characters so much that even when I know what is going to happen I still feel for them. There were over thirty episodes released last year and I cant think of a bad one of the bunch. Easily my number one.
2) Hyouka - While it was a little slow, I enjoyed the character interactions and the visuals were by far the best of the year.
3) Fate/Zero 2nd Season - There were some great moments in the second season but I actually preferred the first season (which is why it was number two on my list last year). It was easily the best action show of the year, though.
4) Kokoro Connect - What can I say, I like Inaba. The drama can be a little over the top at times but the characters kept it interesting.
5) Girls und Panzer - Such a happy show. I can't wait for the final episodes.
6) Ano Natsu de Matteru - This is the only show that I can think of where I hated the main characters yet still found it enjoyable to watch. Remon's schemes made the show more entertaining. Team Kanna for life.
7) Shin Sekai Yori - While some early episodes were nearly unwatchable, the show keeps getting better and better. I like how the show has a believable setting and everything flows from there. Most other shows seem to just make crap up as they go along.
8) Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - Yuko-san won me over. Definitely destroyed Sankarea in the paranormal girlfriend show rankings.
9) Humanity has Declined - Some of the middle episodes were boring, but the sheer weirdness in every episode made me keep watching.
10)Persona 4 the Animation - I am a persona fan and the show was not a disappointment. I like how the silent protagonist from the game was turned into a sly pimp in the anime.

Honorable Mentions (in no order)
Robotics;Notes - There is potential, but nothing has happened yet worthy of becoming a best anime of the year. Maybe next year.
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - It looked great but I did not care for any of the characters (other than Touka).
Accel World - The better of the Kawahara series. At least it had good action.
Senhime Zesshou Symphogear - Surprisingly entertaining and I am looking forward to the next season. Hopefully they keep the engrish to a minimum this time.
Bodacious Space Pirates - Slow moving but fun to watch. I liked the universe they created, though I wish there was more variation to the ship designs.
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere II - Even more crazy than the first season. I still have no idea what is happening, but it has possibly the best action animation of the year.
Jormungand - I enjoyed both seasons but it was just too ugly to get on the main list.
Joshiraku - I only understood around 5% of the references, but some of the skits were hilarious.
Kids on the Slope - The Beatles wannabe ruined what could have been a great show. I did not care for any of the side characters.
Nisemonogatari - Watchable, but a huge disappointment after Bakemonogatari. I still rewatch Bakemonogatari occasionally, but I have no intention of rewatching this.
The Ambition of Oda Nobuna - Probably the surprise of the season. I had absolutely no expectations for this show but I ended up being thoroughly entertained. That still does not mean it is good.

Crap...
Sword Art Online - I don't know if my mind changed the poorly translated novels into something better than they were, but even knowing the story beforehand I was looking forward to the anime. It turned out worse than I could have imagined.
Eureka Seven AO - I watched the first episode at least 6 times. The animation and music was amazing and there was so much potential. Bones somehow found a way to turn the series into one of the worst of the year.
Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Where is the funny?

Based on the records at MAL I watched 15 more shows last year but most were forgettable. All in all, not too bad of a year.

sonicmj1

My honorable mention is going at the top, because it's the best anime released this year. It's just not on DVD or Blu-Ray yet.

Wolf Children
I saw this in theaters, and it's now my favorite anime movie of all-time, right alongside Millennium Actress. The confidence and simplicity with which Hosoda tells his story of a mother and her children blows pretty much everything else today out of the water. Though it works in universal and well-trafficked themes, Wolf Children refuses to condescend to its audience. It's a really perfect family movie, and it establishes Hosoda as one of the greatest anime directors to work in the medium. It's too bad I can't put it at number 1 until next year.

Now, for the list proper.

1. Fate/Zero
What an incredible ride. I could recommend this series to almost anyone. Its no-holds-barred deathmatch between superpowered historical icons is an easy sell even to lapsed anime fans. It uses the most interesting ideas in the Type-Moon universe, while deftly avoiding most of its nonsense metaphysics or weak, childish characters. The stakes are appropriately high, and the show doesn't hold its most powerful emotional punches. Ufotable delivers multiple high points in this series that any other show would be envious of. Despite a slightly rushed climax, it's the show I'll always remember from this year.

2. Tsuritama
At first, I thought this show would be overshadowed by Watanabe's Kids on the Slope. Despite a pastel aesthetic and a lovable kazoo soundtrack, Haru's antics in the early going had me on the verge of dropping this series. I'm glad I didn't. While KotS rapidly lost steam as it rushed towards its conclusion, Tsuritama got better and better as it went on. It's exhilarating to watch this cast of fishers grow up and learn to pursue their dreams and believe in their friends, and it builds towards the most white-knuckle fishing climax that you'll ever see.

3. Girls und Panzer
I almost passed this show by completely. As ridiculous as the premise sounded, I didn't believe that a show about high-school girls competing with tanks could live up to its potential without being sullied by poor direction or needless fanservice. I couldn't be happier I gave this show a chance. The world of Girls und Panzer pops with absurdity; a place where bloodless tank battles are celebrated as a display of feminine virtue; and schools, along with entire towns, are carried across the oceans on gigantic aircraft carriers. Yet the show treats its idiosyncratic premise with a light touch and a pure heart. It's a classic underdog sports story, its tank matches are tense and exciting, and its a pleasant world to be in. I can't get enough of it, and I look forward to its conclusion.

4. Hyouka
These days, Kyoto Animation is known for bringing incredible production values to various high-school stories about close-knit groups of girls and guys. Hyouka shows KyoAni working at its absolute best on a story about mundane mysteries and the gradual maturation of its bunch of student protagonists. The show's sedate pacing may turn off some, but for its adherents (such as myself), it's a master class in direction and animation. Everyone is brought to life thanks to an attention to detail that few other studios could match even if they had the time or budget. I was drawn into the lives of the members of the Classics Club, and by the end, they were well-rounded in ways that few shows can rival.

5. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
It hearkens to a time where men were men, women were beautiful, and everyone said everything they were thinking out loud. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure may not have much animation, but every moment exudes love thanks to an all-star voice cast, pitch-perfect openings and endings, and an explosion of hot-blooded sincerity in every moment. Phantom Blood was an incredible experience, and so far Battle Tendency has one-upped it in almost every way. Few shows are as cheesy, or as exciting.

6. Shin Sekai Yori
This blend of science fiction, horror, and Shinto-tinged mysticism has its low points, but it's got a fantastic soundtrack, and it takes its premise of "Mankind with psychic powers" in a direction you've probably never imagined. I love the care and patience they take laying out their world. Even in moments of exposition, they let us see and experience events, instead of bludgeoning us with words. And its art exhibits incredible imagination when called upon. It's a rare show where I feel confident that the ending will deliver on its promise to this point.

7. Jinrui ha Suitai Shimashita
A light-hearted black comedy about the last days of humanity and the rise of a race of fun-loving faeries. I enjoyed the show's whimsy even at its lowest moments, and its highest points were some of the best satire that anime can produce. Watashi is a truly unique protagonist; she's charming, intelligent, and determined to avoid any responsibility for her mistakes.

8. Wasurenagumo
This short from Anime Mirai 2012 was a dark and delightful modern piece of Japanese mythology. Its little spider girl even had me charmed by the end, and only something of this length could pull such a devious ending.

9. Space Brothers
Namba Mutta is a fantastic protagonist. He's funny and intelligent, but more importantly, I found it easy to relate to how self-conscious and insecure he is. He's a great narrator for the show. Space Brothers moves extremely slowly (which is why it's so far down this list), but every member of its cast is someone you grow to love and root for.

10. Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai
Its ending was poorly paced and chose easy melodrama and a patronizingly simple message over a more complex, interesting path, but for most of its run, this was a delightful show to watch. Rikka's gradual development alongside Yuuta was handled deftly, and I enjoyed how KyoAni dabbled in ridiculous over-the-top tropes for humor.

fertygo

1. Fate/Zero : Its like great Hollywood Blockbuster at anime medium, so good.
2. Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere S2 : The story maybe didn't make any sense but screw that, its just so much fun like the first season.. so much big scale fight and its delivered in very grand style.
3. Tsuritama : The ultimate feel good anime, you will love the character and root for them till the very end.
4. Hyouka : Very slow show but its strangely captivating, and oh my god the production value are just ridiculous.
5. Mysterious Girlfriend X : Who thought the gross premise can turned out to be something good? The kinky but somehow feel natural are the appeal of this show, made me remember the time I have a GF ;__;
6. Hunter X Hunter 2011 : My long running Shounen series can't be this good.
7. Persona 4 the Animation : Crap animation, but I love how they handle the scenario.
8. Girls und Panzer : Its a girl fighting with tank in a tournament, yes its as awesome as its sound.
9. Shin Sekai Yori : Because its very rare to find great story in this medium anymore.

gokieks

I'm pretty selective in what I watch these days, so while I think I did watch more than 10 series/movies/OVAs in 2012, I don't think I could vote for 10 of them.

1. Fate/Zero 2nd Season ; I am completely and unabashedly a Type-Moon fanboy, and I'm not sure I could have asked for any more out of a Fate/Zero anime adaptation.

2. Nisemonogatari ; I love Bakemonogatari, and while this isn't quite as good, it's still a charming and funny experience.

3. Sword Art Online ; It's partly just because I have a soft spot for stories involving MMOs in other media, but it was a damned fun ride. Even if the LN is better and it could have used some better pacing.

4. Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse ; Devolves into generic harem-y BS more frequently than I'd like, but there's enough of the things that make MLA awesome that I enjoyed it.

5. Zetsuen no Tempest ; Not finished yet so can't pass final judgement, but I thoroughly enjoyed what I've seen so far, and am eagerly anticipating each new episode.

6. Amagami SS+ ; Amagami SS was one of my favorite romance series in years because of it's somewhat unique way of storytelling (and some quite likeable character). And this was more of it.

7. Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna ; This is definitely not your normal Lupin III, but it was interesting and looked great. Even if the story goes in some weird places towards the end.

And the (not so) honorable mentions:

Bakuman 2 ; Well, it's more Bakuman. The Bakuman anime series have been pretty good adaptations, all things considered, but it's not particularly worthy of praise.

Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos ; It's about on par for what I expect out of a FMA movie. Not great, but not bad either.

Guilty Crown ; Has promise, and some nice music, but man does it become a drag through most of the middle.

Ixion Saga: Dimension Transfer ; Real dumb. Kinda funny, but didn't draw me in enough to continue watching after like 5 episodes.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure ; Not really seeing the love. I have no attachment to the manga, and the few episodes I watched really didn't catch my interest - maybe I just don't care for these shounen shows anymore. Also, dislike the character designs.

Robotics;Notes ; I loved Steins;Gate, so was interested in this. But while it's got some interesting backstory, it also has the most meandering plot of any series I've watched in a long long time. It took almost an entire cours for it to even begin to look like it's progressing anywhere. I'm still watching it, but man am I not optimistic.

Arcticfox

You should participate in the Anime thread. We don't bite (much, also we could if you're into that kind of thing)
I post occasionally in the anime thread, but normally when I see something I want to reply to several hundred more posts have been made and the topic has changed.

Metrotab

Banned
Time to vote:

1. Hyouka ; Masterfully crafted show that really got into its rhythm halfway through. A feast for the eyes.

2. Kokoro Connect ; I found the idea extremely interesting and the character cast had awesome chemistry. Stars the best girl of the year, Inaba. The romantic conclusion was a great finish.

3. Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai ; Light-hearted romantic comedy. KyoAni doing what KyoAni does best. Extremely cute moments.

4. Joshiraku ; Funny comedy show, which I was able to appreciate thanks to great translation notes. Had a great cast and was very consistent throughout. The travel tips were actually pretty interesting.

5. Tari Tari ; Enjoyable little tale about the Choir and Badminton club. Had a very nice soundtrack.

6. Amagami SS+ ; Because I fucking love Kaoru. Rihoko's conclusion was very needed.

My Vote, only a top 6 though (Only stuff I've caught up on):

1. Space Brothers - It was nice breath of fresh air for anime. Everything about it just hit the right notes for me, the OST, the characters, the story. It's an anime I could recommend to anyone.
2. Moyashimon Returns - I liked the OP to this so much that I ended up making a cover of it on FamiTracker. Anyway the only thing I would say was not up to snuff in this was the France Arc, apart from that there's good humour and the microbes are so cute!
3. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Episode 5 - I actually on watched all of Unicorn, including this, a couple of weeks ago after finishing Gundam ZZ. Animation is so well done and the story is top notch, I am eagerly waiting for Episode 6.
4. One Piece: Episode of Nami - A brilliant retelling of one of my favourite arcs in One Piece. Cut the unecessary parts yet keeping all of emotion of the original. I would have liked the walk to Arlong Park to keep the same music as the original but that is only a minor slight.
5. Binbougami ga! - Liked this a lot, full of references to Dragon Ball, One Piece and Gundam in some places. Story is great with an equal balence of humour and more serious moments. Would like another season!
6. Accel World - Compared to Sword Art Online this was much better. Nomi was a great antagonist and it really made me want to punch him at times because of how devious he was.

Dishonourable Mentions:
- Dog Days' : This was basically fanserice on demand, some like it, some don't. I didn't. I was so glad it was over, and wasn't pleased that there will be a third season.
- Ao Sekai no Chuushin de : Let's make a really stupid war about Nintendo and Sega but lets make Tetris creepy and Opa Opa a tsundere. Urgh
- Sword Art Online : After starting with high hopes, these feelings slowly went away as time went on. SAO was pretty bad in itself but ALO was on a whole new level of bad. Tentacles, incest and rape. Really classy A1, hey I know you do Space Brothers but that won't excuse you for putting SAO out last year.

Gaston

1. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure; This show has easily made it's way among my top animes of all times. It's just so manly and ridiculous and colorful.

2. Chuunibyuou demo Koi ga Shitai; A really fun show the whole time through with a nice touch of drama near the end.

3Kaze

I haven't watched much this past year, but here we go:

0) Wolf Children
1) Fate/Zero 2nd Season
2) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
3) Daily Lives of High School Boys
4) Minori Scramble

Bad things: SAO, BRS, Fujiko, P4A, Guilty Crown, Mirai Nikki

Fisico

Long time lurker too, not confident enough with my english skill to give you a proper explanation for my top ->

1 - Hunter X Hunter In the end it's the most impressive anime of this year, being constantly enjoyable to watch every week with almost no dull episode at all
2 - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure This is manly, a shame they're doing the animation with powerpoint most of the time
3 - Fate Zero The conclusion of the big production of the last two years, could have been higher if they hadn't screwed some very important scenes
4 - Tsuritama A quite refreshing comedy, DUCK
5 - AKB0048 : Kawamori wtf have you done ? A quite fabulous presentation of the idol world, a shame they didn't continue with all those WTF scenes from the first few episodes
6 - Tonari no Kaibutsu kun : It was fun to watch
7 - Lupin III Mine to Fujiko : Don't remember this one as well as i wish to, the first episode by Takeshi Koike was however quite amazing and the best from this whole year
8 - Shinsekai Yori Still not sure where the anime is supposed to be, the bakenezumi arc almost ruined the entire thing but i'll be ready to forgive it if the last arc is as promising as it looks right now
9 - Persona 4 The Animation : Damn, if it wasn't for those derp faces and the shitstorm AIC went through to produce the thing, it could have been soooo much better. Still, as a persona fanboy it was almost as enjoyable to watch as the Persona 4 Comic Dub
10 - Hyouka A kyoto anime which isn't boring in some way ? Quite a performance ! To tell the truth the beginning wasn't really that good, but the pace got better and better with TRUE mysteries and a quite lovely ending

Shit top
1 - Guilty Crown How is it possible to poor so much budget in a shit like this which doesn't make any sense, and worse, how could it sell decently
2 - Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne! Japan i can't trust you anymore
3 - Muv Luv Alternative Total Eclipse : I wish the first two episodes were representative of the anime in its whole, but they're not. Still grateful for the director which get dumped, at least we've got 45mn of enjoyable plot.
4 - Symphogear : Why did i watch this 'till the end already ? I mean excluding the guy who looked a bit like Godot and Kotetsu, there's absolutely nothing to save here.
5 - Rinne no Lagrange : Madoka, why didn't you fought the same way you did in episode 1 during the whole story ;_;
6 - Sword Art Online : I wanted to believe, i really wanted, but no, excluding the sakuga action from time to time it was the same crap all over again, with this incest shit during the whole second arc

As for the ones who weren't selected for any of the two tops here : Chuunibyou - Kokoro Connect - Last Exile Fam - Mirai Nikki - Nisemono - Ozma - Psycho Pass - Robotics;Note - Sakimichi no Apollon - Shirokuma Cafe - Madoka's Movies

I wanted to mention Wolf Children, Unicorn and Code Geass Akito, as the three of them were quite enjoyable in their own way, but it seems like they aren't accepted here, oh well.

duckroll

I'd be surprised, movies rarely do that well in the AOTY votes.

I don't think we've ever had a AOTY vote with a worthwhile mainstream international anime movie released. :p

Ponyo and Eva 2.0 were both pre-2010, and before we had any sort of decent rules regarding what counts. The 2013 vote will include both Wolf Children and Eva 3.0. 2014 will probably include both Ghibli movies. They'll all probably do very well, especially among people who don't generally watch anime regularly.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't think we've ever had a AOTY vote with a worthwhile mainstream international anime movie released. :p

Ponyo and Eva 2.0 were both pre-2010, and before we had any sort of decent rules regarding what counts. The 2013 vote will include both Wolf Children and Eva 3.0. 2014 will probably include both Ghibli movies. They'll all probably do very well, especially among people who don't generally watch anime regularly.

Wolf Children has mainstream appeal? I uh, I just don't see it. For reasons.

Eva makes sense.

Branduil

Well, Arrietty did pretty terribly, so I guess people don't notice Ghibli films from other directors.

Top 10
1) Chu2Koi
2) Ano Natsu de Matteiru
3) Dusk Maiden of Amnesia
4) Fate/zero
5) Hyouka
6) Sakurasou no Pet
7) Rinne no Lagrange
8) Tonari no Kaibutsu
9) Nisemonogatari
10) Moyashimon Returns

Honorable mentions:
Shin sekai Yori
Robotic;Notes
Chihayafuru
Another

Awards:

"Why the f*ck is this so popular?!" award: Kids on the Slope
"Retroactively ruining past anime" award: Eureka Seven AO
"Buy the OST, nothing else exists" award: Guilty Crown
"Yuri of the year" award: YuruYuri (runner up: Rinne no Lagrange)
":cajun"award: Acchi Kocchi

Saprol

I probably backlogged the actual winners so I'm going to figure out if I've even watched 10 worth mentioning.

1 - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
So manly, so fabulous, so fun.

2 - Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Really enjoyed the writing that went into these skits.

3 - Girls und Panzer
Tank battles! Cute girls! It can only get better by putting them together.

4 - Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
There was a chance that the main couple would buck the trend of not being in a relationship the entire time but then shoujo happened. I found the side characters more interesting and entertaining.

5 - Persona 4 The Animation
Definite bias from being a fan of the game. I feel it did a good job adapting most of the game content into an animated series.

Akito

Might as well

01. Fate Zero 2nd Season
02. Chihayafuru
03. Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
04. Natsuyuki Rendezvous
05. Polar Bear Cafe
06. Space Brothers
07. Nekomonogatari: Kuro
08. Nisemmonogatari
09. Wasurenagumo
10. Sakamichi no Apollon

Honorable mentions:

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Medaka Box Abnormal
Binbougami ga!
Tsuritama

Hitsukara

Neo Member
I will try to do mine too

1- Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Even though it is still not over, this is the anime I have got the most fun following this season and I didn't even read the manga.
2- Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita / Humanity has Declined It was a fun ride, the second episode was awesome.
3- Bodacious Space Pirates I never thought i would like it when I saw the promotional artwork but it seems i like moe slice of life in space.
4- Gundam Age I really liked the Asemu Arc, too bad the last 10 episodes weren't so good mostly because of Kio but I still liked it.
5- Hunter x Hunter A good adaptation of the manga
6- Persona 4 There was a lot of problems in this adaptation but it was worth following for the MC
7- Shin Sekai Yori The bakenezumi arc in the beginning was kind of bad but the story is now captivating and the last arc seems to be really good.
8- Tsuritama A good comedy that was really nice to follow
9- Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos A good movie in the FMA universe.
10- Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing I thought this new season was ok. I'm just annoyed that they never explained why the old main character has finished like this in the epilogue.

Honorable mention:
Wolf Children I would have put in my top ten if I could.
Gundam UC5 I didn't really liked this episode but I still wanted to mention it

And I watched other things this year, a lot of bad things: Total Eclipse, E7 AO, Lagrange, Sword Art Online from what I remember.

Nafe

1. Fate/Zero Season II

Even with just the second part of this show, I still like it enough to put it as my number one. I just liked so many of the characters thinking they were interesting in their own unique ways. The fact that a lot of them were more mature or adults was a nice plus as well. You may have to suspend your disbelief at times but the general premise of a deadly competition between historic figures was still pretty interesting. The action was well choreographed and exciting to watch and the visuals were great, often seemingly rivaling a film production at times. Yuki Kajiura's music for this show is great as well. I could probably go on and on but just a really great show all around in my opinion and I would recommend it to almost anyone.

2. Hyouka

Personally I didn't find this show boring at all and didn't mind the pace it set for itself. Despite praising Fate/Zero's amazing visuals at times I would say Hyouka tops it. Just the amazing, meticulous attention to detail. Both with the visuals and the characters. Initially they may come across as rather one dimensional and simply fulfilling per-established tropes but they really come into their own. Even the side or support characters get an impressive amount of characterization in the short amount of screen time presence they get. This show has some great music as well, both original and borrowed classical pieces. How they are used is well done just like the majority of the show.

3. K-On Movie

It really does almost come across as just a long episode of the main show but I thought it was great. The best anime film I personally watched in 2012. It was great to see the girls back again after a bit of a break and the film does a good job at bringing back the familiar but also having a few surprises up it's sleeve. KyoAni's meticulous, insane attention to detail, both in the visuals and the sound design, transfers over to this film as well. I never minded the pace the show carriers and found the little jokes it presents to be amusing. Just a really fun lighthearted show. Personally I think most of the songs the girls perform are pretty good too, I like Yoko Hikasa's (who voices Mio) singing voice.

4. Tsuritama

I always quite liked the shows visual style but the first few episodes, while mostly well done from a technical stand point, I wasn't really feeling the characters or the general story it wanted to tell. As the show went along though and as I got to the final episodes it was pretty amazing to look back at how the characters really came to grow on me with how they interacted and what they went through. Their actions and what they had to do became pretty compelling and it went from a show I was sort of indifferent towards to becoming a favorite. The Duck group was pretty amusing and Tapioca is a pretty cool animal mascot as well. Just a fun and entertaining show that becomes even more great as it goes along.

5. From the New World (Shin Sekai Yori)

The show hasn't finished airing yet but even still I really love the sense of atmosphere that permeates this entire show. It's got a great sense of mystery and horror and just the whole story in general is pretty interesting. I like the visual designs of the characters and even thought unfortunately the show has a few rough spots in terms of it's direction, I personally didn't mind the difference in visual style those episodes presented despite the fact they could be a bit jarring in their contrast to the previous and following episodes. The show has some great musical tracks to accompany it as well. The show has been really interesting as of late so I hope it doesn't have a disappointing conclusion when the time comes.

6. Girls und Panzer

I've admitted that originally this shows premise sounded so silly I was really only go to watch it for laughs to see how bad it was and to sort of poke fun at it. It turns out to be probably the biggest surprise of the entire year as I think this show is great! The silly premise is most definitely still there but the staff present it with sort of a self awareness and just tongue and cheek silly, fun style. The staff really do seem like they enjoyed working on this show and present a lot of details about tanks that shows they have an interest in the matter and paid attention to the little details.

Despite it containing a large, young female cast, the fan service is refreshingly light. You won't find an abundance of panty shots in this show despite the short skirts. With such a large cast the show does a pretty good job at giving each one their own memorable little quirks and personalities. The music in this show is also really great. Really supplies the show with a nice bit of energy, with the Russian Katyusha a clear favorite of mine.

7. Smile PreCure!

Sure, the original intended demographic was more for younger girls but the show is just so bright and colourful and just carries a really fun atmosphere with it. It's the kind of show you can just relax and smile too. The visuals are often pretty good and it actually has some genuine moments of really awesome, exciting fight scenes. I just wound up having a great time with this show and am honestly kind of sad it's over.

Oh yeah, the one day I had a headache and decided to sit down and watch that weeks episode of the show and by the time it finished it was gone! so Smile PreCure! cures headaches too!

8. AKB0048

This is another show I decided to take a look at because of it's over the top strange sounding premise and wound up just having a great time with. It's really silly and plays it in more of a straight manner but it's just so entertaining in how it comes across. I honestly don't know if I can really explain my feelings properly on this one, it's just something I really like. Underground idols with lightsaber microphones and other underground assistance groups with idol adorned mech suits, glow stick energy rocket launcher things... All this craziness comes across as just so compelling. Episode 3 was just an amazing experience. I never really listened to the actual AKB48's music but I actually think some of their songs are really good too.

9. Chihayafuru

Who knew a show about a game where you memorize card poems and positions and then see people smacking them around could be so entertaining? It falters a bit in the latter half but the characters enthusiasm for the game really comes across and for a lot of the matches they are done in a style which makes them pretty interesting and exciting. The way each character approached things differently was nice as well. One character might appreciate more the history and the poems themselves whereas another see's it more as just a game but wants to improve and be the best simply because they like it for what it is.
It has some rough spots but it was still pretty entertaining overall given it's premise. Let's not forget that this show has a really great soundtrack as well even if unfortunately it's not utilized the greatest within the show itself

10. Joshiraku

This is kind of a hard show to talk about and definitely not for everyone but I actually quite enjoyed it overall. The opening and ending both in their music and in the visuals are great. Some of the jokes are really lame word puns but others can be quite amusing. Some of the different facts the show presents now and then are actually kind of interesting. I liked that despite the fact that it's a rather talkative show at least things can be still presented somewhat interesting visually such as with the girls getting quite a few outfit changes from episode to episode whenever they go out. Being mostly a comedy it really is hard to discuss in this type of format but I personally liked it.

---

Honorable Mention

Idolm@ster Episode 26

The extra episode that came with the home release of the show I thought was great. The way it just takes all these little skits with the different characters. It's just fun, funny and has some great art and animation. Any Idolm@ster fans should definitely watch this and even if you're not, you might want to give it a watch, as you might be pleasantly surprised.

---
Just for fun...

Best shows I watched in 2012 that didn't air in 2012

Sailor Moon S

The best story arc of the Sailor Moon franchise. Great story, atmosphere, music and villain. Ikuhara at his finest. Just a great package all around. Despite having originally aired almost 20 years ago I think it's still one of the best shows I've ever watched.

Mouryou no Hako

A very overlooked show that may turn off many due to being very dense and wordy with a beginning that jumps around quite a bit. I however found it had a really interesting story to tell with it's mystery. It's kind of hard to talk about due to being a mystery but I think it's a bit of an overlooked gem and might be the same way for others if they give it a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom