• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF 2012 Anime of the Year Voting Thread (voting ends January 29)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys. Guilty Crown. Now that's bad, that's shit. That's the horrible abomination. SAO merely stuttered a bit in the second half, it's no where close to being a bad show. Let's not go hyperbole.

Guilty Crown is shit, but it at least has good music and better visuals than SAO. SAO has...nothing. Bad writing, bad fights, bad "romance", bad drama, bad everything. Good visuals is it's only redeeming quality. It's best episode is a FISHING episode. If people want to watch an anime where some nerd with no redeeming qualities makes girls swoon, watch Accel World. At least it has better characters and doesn't take itself so serious. Better music and fights too. No Gary Stu either.

Kagami

6) Queen's Blade: Rebellion ; Nice, big, round tits everywhere, some delicious fighting action between women and Oda Non's character animated. One couldn't ask for much more out of a Queen's Blade show.
I'm catching up on Queen's Blade at the moment to see if I need to vote for this. It seems a lot of QB fans were disappointed with Rebellion but I'm keeping my fingers crossed since I really liked the first two seasons.

8) Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse ; The show had pacing problems, which is why it's so low on my list. Without those pacing issues it would be among the firsts, because even with a bit of a dubious start and low production values, it delivered the right amount of emotional strife, battles, love triangles, betrayal, politics. Now it only needs to have a new season to continue the story.
This is another I need to catch up on, but I was kind of wanting to play the games first (even if there aren't any direct spoilers)--wonder if I can accomplish that + watch the show by the end of this month.

1.) Hyouka ; Hyouka made me endure a couple of painfully boring episodes, but the incredible production values, intriguing story premise and mostly enjoyable story arcs made that totally worth it. Ultimately, it may have been the OST that stuck out to me the most, though. It's rather subtle for the most part, but it somehow managed to create a very convincing mystery atmosphere for things that really aren't mysterious at all. Good stuff.

2.) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure ; Praise the 80's.

3.) Chihayafuru ; The biggest eye opener was watching a real karuta match on YouTube after seeing the show and realizing that you really play this game by tossing your cards through the room. That looked like total anime bullshit to me. Wonderful show, though. Likable cast of characters and solid execution of friendship themes.

4.) Kids on the Slope ; A little underwhelming in the end, but still easily above most shows I've seen this year. The rotoscoping is not okay, though. Looked weird.

5.) Kuroko's Basketball ; One of the better sports animes I've seen in a while. The pacing got a little out of control towards the end, but that didn't hurt my enjoyment too much.

6.) Nisemonogatari ; It's like Bakemono. Pretty good, but not quite as good.

7.) Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! ; Eh, I really would have liked this show more if the second half didn't suddenly take itself so seriously. I don't think KyoAni pulled that off very well and it was just kind of boring and awkward. It was a pretty great show when it was just funny and cute, though.

8.) Psycho-Pass ; It bothers me how every futuristic thing in anime always has to have a dumb name. Calling your space pew-pew's DOMINATORS is not okay. The way holograms work is also very questionable and makes me wonder all the time, but whatever. It's a well produced SciFi show with a dumb idea of how things are going to be in the future and it's mostly a good time watching it.

9.) Lupin III: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna ; Never fully clicked with me, but it definitely had style.

10.) Upotte!! ; Guilty pleasure. Never understood the basic premise of girls being guns, but it was fun to watch. Also surprisingly inoffensive considering the distinctive Xebec art sytle.

Worst anything of the forever: Sword Art Online ; Now I watch quite a bit of anime, but I only barely participate in any anime communities. That leaves me very ignorant when it comes to understanding which shows are generally liked or disliked by anime watching folks and what their reasons are. Which is totally okay since it allows me to watch any show more or less completely uninfluenced by opinions of others and I wont be affect by the typical cynicism, hyperbolic praise and whatever else message boards are plagued by. I have to deal with that sort of thing on the gaming side plenty already.
That said, I watched SOA to its completion, because I was only aware of its unexplainable popularity but not of its complete and utter AWFULNESS. Nobody warned me! :(
I initially dropped the show after three episodes, but the buzz surrounding it never went away and it eventually made me curious to see if I was just missing something and I've been avoiding a gem all this time. Well, I haven't! I realized that after another 22 awful, awful episodes.
I could only describe SOA as the most shameless pandering to pathetic nerd fantasies I've seen in a long while. It doesn't help that nothing about it makes any sense. No sort of consistency and constant bending of the rules for convenient and lazy story telling. Honestly one of the worst shows I've ever seen. Just painful.

Beats

1. Hyouka
2. Polar Bear Cafe
3. Tsuritama
4. From the New World / Shin Sekai Yori
5. Kids on the Slope / Sakamichi no Apollon
6. TeeKyuu

I think the only other show I watched in 2012 was Another, but I didn't like it that much.

sleepykyo

I'm catching up on Queen's Blade at the moment to see if I need to vote for this. It seems a lot of QB fans were disappointed with Rebellion but I'm keeping my fingers crossed since I really liked the first two seasons.

This is another I need to catch up on, but I was kind of wanting to play the games first (even if there aren't any direct spoilers)--wonder if I can accomplish that + watch the show by the end of this month.

I'd keep expectations low. Queen's Blade Rebellion should have been better, but managed to be worse in every way.

Went back and edited my post since everyone was getting their knickers in a twist over it. For archive reasons and to help those late to the thread understand all the comments after my first post here's an archive of it.
Oh man, did Psycho Pass really turn out that badly?

1. One Piece
2. Hunter X Hunter
3. Daily Lives of High School Boys
4. Fairy Tail
5. Binbougami ga!
6. Magi
7. Medaka Box Abnormal
8. High School DxD
9. Accel World
10. Kill Me Baby

Bold means it needs another season.

You know that's not true.

Hmm...

What part of the statement do you believe to be untrue?
How did you come to believe that any or all of the statement could be untrue?
Why is your opinion of my statements such that you could believe what I say could be untrue?
How does your own approach to my statements affect your perception of my truthfulness or lack thereof?

I'm curious!

Dresden

Hmm...

What part of the statement do you believe to be untrue?
How did you come to believe that any or all of the statement could be untrue?
Why is your opinion of my statements such that you could believe what I say could be untrue?
How does your own approach to my statements affect your perception of my truthfulness or lack thereof?

I'm curious!

You know that's not true.

You're still here.

There are two possibilities:

The first is that there is no place I call home, and that when I say that it is a euphemism for leaving the library I post on GAF from to go to the homeless shelter I sleep at during the night.

The second is that I am posting from my phone, and I am going to get in my car and drive home. Therefore, I am literally about to be going home, though in the sense that I'm still posting on GAF, it is true that "I'm still here".

meijiko

1. Kids on the Slope
2. Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Those are the only two I remember liking well enough. I think I watched Tari Tari, dropped SAO, and everything else I watched was from years past. I'm behind. :(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I would have voted for Chihayafuru had I not already voted for it last year! Also second cour was vastly inferior. Same with Mirai Nikki.

Also updated my list to its final state, I just need to write some clever quips and I'll be done. Bed first though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I would have voted for Chihayafuru had I not already voted for it last year! Also second cour was vastly inferior. Same with Mirai Nikki.

Also updated my list to its final state, I just need to write some clever quips and I'll be done. Bed first though.

I probably should have voted for it last year as well but I thought I'd watch the whole show first. Decided not to make the same mistake this year and put in some incomplete shows.

Lain

Went back and edited my post since everyone was getting their knickers in a twist over it. For archive reasons and to help those late to the thread understand all the comments after my first post here's an archive of it.

Reading your list reminded me of Kill Me Baby, so I went back and edited my list to include it.
Such a great show, I hope another miracle happens and they make a second season.

I'm going to use this thread as my "what to catch up on" list.
2012 was a hectic year for me, and my current anime watching dipped significantly.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Reading your list reminded me of Kill Me Baby, so I went back and edited my list to include it.
Such a great show, I hope another miracle happens and they make a second season.
There were rumblings of a second season but I have no idea if that was a cruel joke or just speculation.

Alastor

1) Kids on the Slope ; maybe a little too much drama in there, but what else can you do with that source material? It's still magical. And too short. With not enough live music.

2) Shin Sekai Yori ; I cannot decide if I love or hate this show, but it's the only one I watch now, so I guess it deserves a place here. It starts really great, but the plot then goes in some really weird directions... And no, it's not a good thing. Well, it's still airing, and I'm actually curious how will it end.

I'm going to use this thread as my "what to catch up on" list.
2012 was a hectic year for me, and my current anime watching dipped significantly.

I hope the person who tallies the votes and makes the awards thread makes an effort to say which ones have streaming available on hulu/crunchyroll/etc..

I know its extra work but I would appreciate it.

Necrovex

Oh man, after reading through this thread, I still have A LOT of anime to watch from this year. I am excited to see the end-results. Because of last year's thread, I finally decided to watch Madoka Magica and fell in love with it. Anyway, my list:

1) Fate/Zero Season 2; I don't have much else to write that everyone else hasn't touched upon. When I was making my return to the anime genre, this show and Steins;Gate is what brought me back in.

2) Space Brothers; I hate uplifting shows, I like my shows dark and gritty, to the point where one would transform into Max Payne. However, Space Bros is nothing like this: it is an extremely uplifting and inspirational anime; it makes me feel like I could do anything. The animation is mediocre, but everything else is top notch. Also, it is REALLY consistent in its quality.

3) Shin Sekai Yori/From the New World; When the show is good, holy fuck, the show is on another plane of existence. When it's bad, we make fun of it in Anime-Gaf. The majority of episodes have been superb, it's a pity the middle (three episodes) had some shit-worthy episodes.

4) Jojo; Manly as fuck. I may not watch this show on a consistent basis, but when I do, it delivers on such a high level.

5) Persona 4 Animation; The animation quality is as inconsistent as Mass Effect 3. However, animation is not the only criteria I judged when it comes to anime (or Space Bros would be far lower on my list), P4 Animation does everything right when it comes to the other department. New music from Meguro is awesome, the interpretation for the shadow scenes are rad, and new features involving the characters are groovy. This is a great adaptation of the PS2 game.

6) Tsuritama; I wasn't sure if I should had this show on my list. I didn't understand the love that Anime-Gaf had for it. But, as I sat down and thought more about it, this show did a lot of things right. The beginning was slow, but the pace picked up, and there were a few number of moments where I was fist pumping for the MC. The last arc was simply amazing (and many shows nowadays tend to have lackluster endings), the characters were well-developed, and those colors!

7) Kids on the Slope; I am not a huge fan of Bebop, but I was willing to take the leap into this show because I dig jazz. While I expected jazz to be as crucial as rock was in Beck, I was given a great show with some unfortunate pacing issue. The first half of the show was superb, unfortunately the last half (excluding the climax in the middle of the series) was fairly mediocre.

Show that could have been on the list if the second season's plot, characters, and writing were not Resident Evil bad: Sword Art Online

I am excited to see the end-results!

Go_Ly_Dow

Just remember the 2nd half of Hyouka is vastly superior to the 1st half. The 1st half is very good, but just a little inconsistent in comparison.

Snakeyes

1. Tsuritama

2. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

3. Kids On The Slope

4. Robotics; Notes

5. Psycho-Pass

6. From The New World

7. Lupin III: A Woman Called Fujiko Mine

Dooters

Neo Member
1. Fate/Zero 2nd Season - 11/10, AOTF, dark gritty action. THIS is why I watch anime.

2. Chihayafuru - Great soundtrack and I love genki girls!

3. Humanity has Declined - Very strange show. Watashi was a really great main character

4. Kids on the Slope - Pacing went a little too fast and there were some moments of bad drama. The performances were really fantastic, though.

5. Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - Hime cut is best cut.

6. Daily Lives of High School Boys - High School girls > High School boys.

7. Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - A cute, funny show that got tainted by KEY drama.

I also watched Sword Art Online and Nisemonogatari, but they were so shitty I refuse to put them on the list.

Wow, there's so much SAO hate. Why?

Anyway, didn't watch that many.

1) Sword Art Online
2) K-On! Movie
3) Hyouka

I'd put K-On! on top if it wasn't just a movie. =3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom