• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Anime of the Year 2015 - Voting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, because for me the cooking foundation is enough. The show clearly takes its time indulging in the cooking process and presenting the food and I love that. Characters and surrounding plot made, to me, for a surprisingly entertaining shounen-esque cooking competition, too.

Might help that cooking is a bit of a hobby of mine.

Ultimately, for me, the flaws just don't outweigh the good.

If the cooking and characters are good enough for you, fine. But I'm glad I know now to take the opinion of anyone who likes Soma with a huge grain of salt.

I just can't see that in that show. Mediocre is relative and all but Prison School which aired at the same time of the first of half Soma and produced by J.C. Staff had way inferior production values. Soma never seemed outright bad at any point that I can currently think of.

I have not watched Prison School, but in the screenshots I have seen the shading alone makes some of the character art look way better than anything in Soma - and the existence of even worse looking shows wouldn't make a bad looking show less bad anyway. Soma has the blandest of bland backgrounds, crappy color design, mediocre character designs and generally mediocre art unless it goes off-model (some of the chibi deformations look alright), and the storyboarding is competent at best. It pales in comparison to an actual quality production such as Haikyuu.

The food itself looks appetizing, and it's clear that all the effort of the production went into the visual depiction of food, which is a sensible allocation of resources but not enough to make the show overall attractive.

This counts as 2014 right ?

Question: Do we count only the Japanese premiere date for the movies or does the western one counts too ? Aka Can I vote for "When Marnie Was There" which premiered in Japan in 2015 and in the West in 2015 or is it ineligible
?

In the past, the general rules for film has been to rely on the BD release date, which for Marnie did take place in 2015.

phaze

I guess you mean 2014 for Japan, so no.

Alrighty, thanks.

Tsukimonogatari doesn't count. :'(

Oh, this seems right. Yeah, Marnie counts then.

One more to the backlog then.

I suppose it was December 31st, 2014? I can't remember if the release format was the same as Hanamonogatari though, or if it was like two and two, or I just watched it on the 1st.

All released in one go on 31st. I'd put it on top instanstly if that wasn't the case. ;_;

fertygo

1. Garo S1: Technically only 2nd half of this show that air on 2015, but this 2nd half is where the show reaching its magnificent peak, where plenty of Character development that occur for its main protagonist that made it highlight of the series. Eps 7-12 is truly worth the slow burn. Don't watch the sequel, its crap.

2. Haikyuu S2: I actually want to wait for next year vote for this since only first half of this, but man this first half content is might actually the best anime that I watched this year, its just that good. I only vote Garo higher because its deserve recognition because finishing very strongly.

3. Aikatsu S3 : Still being an pioneer to how long running show run, with new protagonist and supporting cast taking over the old one but manage the transition very gracefully.
4. Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works: Adaptation could have been better but its manage to convert most high point to some of my favorite anime episode, eps 24 in particular is the GOAT.

5. Death Parade: Show's kinda suffer when they have its overarching plot going, but all the procedural episode is great, might've show with best concept in awhile.

6. JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Stardust Crusader: Fantastic adaptation by David Pro once again, shame the final fight quite suffering from production issue.

7. Shirobako

8. Hibike! Euphonium Eyecandy galore, and the show is very good too, typical mighty duck thing show.

9. Ace of Diamond S2 Same as previous season weakness on its uneven pacing sometime but I enjoy this season more due to the progression theme where underclassmen taking over the senior that already retired, made you want to rooting for them even more, I really attached to this group at this point.

10. Yu-Gi-Oh ARC-V Best YGO since 5ds, great concept that making a lot hype matchup possible, Pendulum summon is so fun too, Pendulum to Synchro/Xyz is even more fun

If the cooking and characters are good enough for you, fine. But I'm glad I know now to take the opinion of anyone who likes Soma with a huge grain of salt.

Now I know how Phaze feels.

SHA6sRj.gif

Thoraxes

In the past, the general rules for film has been to rely on the BD release date, which for Marnie did take place in 2015.
What about Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark?
Didn't they do what they did with the TV series, and sell BDs at the theatre screenings in 2014? Or was that not the case this time around it was just a screening first then BDs later?

Or would the official May 2015 release date be the qualifier in this case?

I'd like to put it on my list if possible, but I figured it wouldn't count since I think it could've been procured in limited fashion in 2014 (like with how the TV series was).

What about Space Battleship Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark?
Didn't they do what they usually do, and sell BDs at the theatre screenings in 2014?

Or would the official May 2015 date be the qualifier in this case?

I'd like to put it on my list if possible, but I figured it wouldn't count since I think it could've been procured in limited fashion in 2014 (like with how the TV series was).

I'm pretty sure the Odyssey of the Celestial Ark film was released in a normal theatrical fashion, so no BDs available at the premiere. The release date of the BD was May 27, 2015.

Puruzi

Banned
1. Haikyuu Season 2- Fantastic continuation for a really good sports series. There hasn't been a single bad episode in the entire series so far. It's been consistently amazing. Hinata best boy.
2. Everyday Life With Monster Girls- I've read the source material for this already, but this was just such a great adaptation and I enjoyed every single episode immensly. Need more of it in anime form, it's perfection. Suu best slime.
3. One Punch Man- Read the source material prior to watching it too, but it was still very enjoyable. The animators really put in huge amount of work into this show and it really paid off. Was great.
Tatsumaki a best.
4. Gatchaman Crowds Insight- Another great second season to an already excellent show. Great characters, interesting story, and I really like the artstyle. Hajime is best.
5. Yuri Kuma Arashi- I really liked this show. It was confusing early on, but it did get much MUCH better as it got further in. Probably would've been higher up, but it did take awhile to for me to really start liking it. Bears best at shocking.
6. Show by Rock- Criminally underrated. Very entertaining and cute. The CG was very stylized and it didn't try to hide the fact that it was CG, looked very good. Probably the third best CG I've seen used in anime. Very hyped for season 2. Retoree + Cyan best ship.
7. Prison School- Comedy gold. Don't have much else to say about it. S2 when. Gakuto best bro.
8. Etotama- Very funny, best use of CG in any anime, entertaining fight scenes. Very angry that it seems to have flopped. Nya-tan best jerk protag.
9. Yoru no Yatterman- Enjoyed the story, liked how the tone could change at any time but still be entertaining. Really adored the artstyle. Very disappointed that the last episode was fucked. Dope opening. Elephantus and Volkatze best dads.
10. Go Princess Precure- There was nothing extremely special about it, but I really like Precure. This series had some of my favorite animation cuts this year. Pretty fun to watch with /pc/. Haruka best princess.

Films/OVAs

1. Sex and Violence with Machspeed- When's the full series

2. Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade- dat animation and those cameos
Honorable Mentions

x. Is it Wrong To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon- Hestia is the bestia + that Minotaur fight unnnf

x. Shokugeki no Soma- Excellent adaptation. Totally ready for season 2

x. Shimoneta: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist- Really had me dying. Had the best girl in all of 2015 too. Might edit this later to actually put this in the top 10, really want it in there. think i'm done tho

Blobbers

1. To-Love Ru Darkness 2nd
2. Prison School
3. Monster Musume
4. Yuru Yuri San Hai
5. Himouto! Umaru Chan
6. Non Non Biyori Repeat
7. Shimoneta
8. One Punch Man
9. Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic
10. Dragon Ball Super

tell me if I messed up somewhere

Defuser

1)Hibike!! Euphonium!
2)Death Parade
3)Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans
4)Noragami Aragoto
5)Working!!!
6)Yahari
7)GATE
8)Owarimonogatari
9)One Punch Man
10)Shimoneta

Honorable mentions:

Danmachi
Gintama - It's fucking Gintama.
Maria the Virgin Witch - No it's not hentai nor echi. I never seen a show that portray medival skirmishes so accurately.
Psycho Pass the Movie - Better than the trash that is season 2
Ninja Slayer - Yeeeeeaart!!!!! and also Nancy Lee
Plastic Memories - A nice show about a boy and robot girl which progress from innocent and sweet to sadness.
Jojo's Bizzare Adventure Stardust Crusaders's Egypt Arc: It's jojo, nothing to say and it's already in the previous AOTY.
Charlotte - Fucking hilarious in a bad way
Heavy Object - Just 2 deus ex guys taking down big ass machines.
Both Durarara 2nd seasons

Honorable OVA/Movie mention
Little Witch Academia : The Enchanted Parade.

1. Non Non Biyori Repeat
2. Shirobako
3. Yuri Kuma Arashi
4. Teekyuu S6
5. Magical Somera-chan (more of a guilty pleasure though)

OVA/Movie
1. Little Witch Academia 2

Quonny

1. Shokugeki no Soma ; Top Chef + power levels + Megumi. What else do you need.

Also you guys suck at formatting. Read the OP derps.

jett

D-Member
1. One-Punch Man ; ONE PUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH
2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure ; YES

I do not believe I've watched a single anime movie or ova from 2015.

1. Garo S1: Technically only 2nd half of this show that air on 2015, but this 2nd half is where the show reaching its magnificent peak, where plenty of Character development that occur for its main protagonist that made it highlight of the series. Eps 7-12 is truly worth the slow burn. Don't watch the sequel, its crap.

2. Haikyuu S2: I actually want to wait for next year vote for this since only first half of this, but man this first half content is might actually the best anime that I watched this year, its just that good. I only vote Garo higher because its deserve recognition because finishing very strongly.

3. Aikatsu S3 : Still being an pioneer to how long running show run, with new protagonist and supporting cast taking over the old one but manage the transition very gracefully.
4. Fate Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works: Adaptation could have been better but its manage to convert most high point to some of my favorite anime episode, eps 24 in particular is the GOAT.

5. Death Parade: Show's kinda suffer when they have its overarching plot going, but all the procedural episode is great, might've show with best concept in awhile.

6. JoJo's Bizzare Adventure: Stardust Crusader: Fantastic adaptation by David Pro once again, shame the final fight quite suffering from production issue.

7. Shirobako

8. Hibike! Euphonium Eyecandy galore, and the show is very good too, typical mighty duck thing show.

9. Ace of Diamond S2 Same as previous season weakness on its uneven pacing sometime but I enjoy this season more due to the progression theme where underclassmen taking over the senior that already retired, made you want to rooting for them even more, I really attached to this group at this point.

10. Yu-Gi-Oh ARC-V Best YGO since 5ds, great concept that making a lot hype matchup possible, Pendulum summon is so fun too, Pendulum to Synchro/Xyz is even more fun

Yes arc v wasnt forgotten. May list it too but yuuya oniichans constant muddling in feelings in this arc was getting tiring.

Also daiya no a love.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
1. Shirobako; There's something mystic about this. I haven't cared like that for so, so long. Shirobako/23 is the pinnacle of anime, and the entire last arc is some of the best storytelling i've ever seen, bar none.
2. Gundam Tekketsu; WHAT DO YOU MEAN THIS IS ELEGIBLE. So soon, but, hey. Nailed 13 eps in a row. Worth it.
3. Arslan Senki; Major points for the setting. The plot is a little too Hero's Journey \ Alexander the Great, but it has high points, and very good characters.
4. GATE - JIETAI KARE NO CHI NITE, KAKU TATAKERI; Started with the lowest possible expectations, climbed them up episode after episode. Ended up extremely good.
5. Hibike! Euphonium; Another hit from nowhere.
6. Sidonia no Kishi s2; Dat OP.
7. One Punch Man
8. Shokugeki no Souma
9. Overlord; Would be higher, but late episodes aren't as good, and the plot goes absolutely nowhere in those 12 episodes.
10. Log Horizon s2; Definitely not as good as S1, which ranked #1 for me last year.

x. Not available yet, but damn, Gundam Tekkadan is so good.

Top 10 shows:

75879.jpg

1. Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans; Never watched a Gundam show before, and then beast showed up. It's dark, it's edgy, it's funny, it's heart breaking. It's a show that makes you go through a lot of emotions as you watch what I would consider to be a coming of age story for space slave children, learning to be free and making a living of their own. It is my number one recommendation to anyone who wants a good show. It has a ton of characters and they all matter. It has great balance between action and character/world building too. I was truly surprised, and I'm very glad that will continue to air next season.

76662.jpg

2. Haikyuu!! S2; I was very LTTP with this series. I basically binged all of S1 up until S2, and oh my. This is the perfect show for me, it's very uplifting and makes you want to work harder to achieve your goals. Don't let the "Sports" label on this show stop you from watching it.

72943.jpg

3. Food Wars; The show that sparked my current interest in cooking. Great characters, mouth watering dishes, super exciting standoffs between cooks, it's great. The comedic aspects of it are pretty damn well done too. The show isn't scared of showing skin or using "foodgasms" as a reaction to that first bite into the food, but those moments are handled well and make the show even more hilarious.

76049.jpg

4. One Punch Man; Another show that took me by surprise and I have AnimeGAF to thank for actually keep telling me to watch it, even when I thought the MCs face just looked like an egg. You may think that this show is all about gags, but you would be surprised. Yes, there is quite a bit of comedy in here, but you also have some of greatest animation in the business right here. You also have gut wrenching moments that actually give you the feels. I could see this one becoming the #1 show this year in everyone's lists.

67177.jpg

5. Your Lie in April; Oh boy. This show. It made me feel things. I was in denial the entire time until the inevitable happened. This is a very bittersweet show that I think any anime fan should watch.

72445.jpg

6. Sound! Euphonium; It's one of KyoAni's best, right next Hyouka. Great visuals, great sound, great characters. It's getting a second season for a reason. It's really damn good.

75376.jpg

7. My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO!; I have an unconditional love for this series since S1. Took us approximately 3 years to get this sequel, but boy did it deliver. Visuals were updated, character designs were refined. The stories were AMAZING, and we see every single character in this grow in some way. I'd say this is easily one of the greatest and most believable Slice of Life anime out there, it cuts the bullshit out and shows the viewer situations that could actually happen along with the character's personal struggles, and their resolution. Shame we will probably have to wait for another 3 years to get a third season.

76479.jpg

8. Owarimonogatari; It's Monogatari. You either like this series or you don't, with this many seasons I cannot recommend someone that hasn't watched any of the previous ones to jump in on this one. However, if have this is one of the greatest bunch of arcs in the series.

74374.jpg

9. Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers; Show seemed pretty conventional. It wasn't. If you think defeating the big overlord is the finish line to this show, you couldn't be more wrong. What starts off as the typical end goal for these characters, gets thrown away to the side and replaced by a mystery, trying to unravel the traitor amongst this group of characters. There can only be 6 braves. Go count how many there are on the thumbnail I included. Enjoy the show.

76071.jpg

10. Subete ga F ni Naru (The Perfect Insider); I can guarantee that this one will be in only one or two people's list, and that's okay. I could see how anyone that isn't me wouldn't enjoy this closed room mystery, but it's all right. This is a personal Top 10 list after all. I absolutely loved this show.

Honorable mentions:

69455.jpg

My Love Story!!; Another show that I was LTTP for because of the poster. All of the Slice of Life/Romance tropes are thrown away in this one, creating a show that is so unique that I just couldn't help but give a honorable mention.

71553.jpg

Death Parade;This show had a few problems, but at the same time it had some of the greatest moments in anime this year. I will never forget the ice skating scene in this one.

73886.jpg

Working!!!; A perfect way of finishing a long running series.

Top Films/OVAs

76416.jpg

1. Working!!! Lord of the Takanashi; This series gets nominated twice, but in this case I am giving it #1 status here, because I hope that other long running shows follow in the same footsteps as this one. You tie all of the knots, you deal with every single issue there was, and you give your characters a satisfying end. I could not think of a better way to finish a show.

75493.jpg

2. Digimon Adventure tri. Chapter 1: Reunion; This was a reunion with my childhood friends pretty much. If you loved Digimon you should give this a tri
lol

61681.jpg

3. Persona 3 The Movie Part 2; Persona 3 is my favourite videogame ever. It's obvious that I'd put the movie here. The Summer arc couldn't have been done any better. Can't wait to watch Part 3 next year!!

TV SERIES:

1. One Punch Man; A show that relied on its humor and amazing action scenes. It doesn't have much depth, but it has mass appeal, fantastic humor, a great OST, and breathtaking action scenes. There's some discussion on whether the webcomic humor translated well into a full-blown anime. And honestly, I think it did. The amount of effort the team put behind this show is worth the praise alone, they went above and beyond the call of duty.

2. Death Parade; A show that visually it hits all the right marks. The comments on the ugly side of humanity get a bit overbearing at points but they balanced these out with examples of human selflessness every now and then. The B plot dealing with the gods was a bit boring, but everything else is worth a watch.

3. Rokka No Yuusha; Probably the surprise of the year for me. I don't think anyone who watched this week by week expected it to turn the way it did. It's hard to not have bad expectations though. Everything pointed for it to be a generic fantasy light novel adaptation. But instead we got a fun mystery aztec-based mythology fantasy show with a solid cast of characters.

4. Working!!!; As someone who has followed the series since the beginning I never thought the third season could end as well as it did, especially after that atrocious second season that brought all progress to a halt. But let me tell you, it's definitely worth a watch. All the relationships and story plots are neatly closed, including the annoying 'going nowhere' romances. If you're looking for a slice of life comedy about a group of workers in the restaurant, where 95% of the show is their day to day life in the restaurant then watch the whole show, as this ending season was fantastic.

5. Ushio to Tora; There's little to say about this series. It's a fun shonen action series. A lot of the enjoyment comes from the banter between Ushio and Tora, the titular characters. If you're looking for a solid shonen action series to watch, this isn't a bad choice.

6. Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans; I'm not much of a Gundam fan, I've watched maybe 3 shows that deal with Gundam with two more I plan to watch at most anytime soon. But Iron Blooded Orphans is honestly very newbie friendly. Show is currently still airing but I have never felt like knowledge from robots/previous seasons was necessary or would add to the enjoyment of the series. The series focuses on a cast of children/teen soldiers and their adventures. It gets props too for being one of the few anime I've watched where the chubby character doesn't have a stereotypical voice or his whole character revolves around being a pervert or eating.

7. Itoshi no Muco; This is probably up here honestly because as a dog owner a lot of the humor and situations really hit home. It still is a very enjoyable light hearted comedy about the life of a glass blowing owner with his adorable pet shiba inu. Should you watch this? If you're a pet owner, definitely as the humor seems to rely on shit you've seen your pet do or situations you've been in and you've wondered about their state of mind.

8. Utawarerumono; A show that while I'm not particularly crazy about it does an extremely solid job with its setting and mood. I'm always relaxed, save for a small arc near where it's currently airing. The show is a very light fantasy series for the most part, as the grand majority is spent on the main city with the cast of characters relaxing and having conversations. Nothing to write home about, but definitely a recommendation for anyone looking for a light fantasy series focused more on the day to day activities vs action.

9. Noragami Aragoto; Noragami's first season was a favorite of mine the first time around, and the second season doesn't quite live up to the first imho but is still very much worth a watch. It's soundtrack, while largely recycled, is still fantastic. The characters continue to be fun. Little more to say.

10. Ore Monogatari; Ore Monogatari is largely here if you watch romantic anime or read romantic manga and are tired of the forced melodrama that tends to plague these works. The show is, after 1 or 2 episodes, the sweet tale of a big gorilla looking dude with his tiny moe girlfriend and basically how much they love each other. Is there a source of drama? Occasionally, but outside of one particular arc at the end, it's minimal and you'd expect it given the looks of the leads. It's a show though that at points can be TOO fluffy and sweet. The humor didn't quite work as well as the manga as jokes were stretched for too long at points. But between this show and Snow White with the Red Hair, I'd recommend this ten times over because not many romantic anime/manga get the leads together fairly quickly with little to no drama in its run.

MOVIES/OVAS:

1. Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade: I enjoyed it more than the first. Simple as that.

One punch man isnt gona be top 5. We are talking about the collection of people that somehow didnt have mushishi in a top 10 of 2014. Quality could hit some of you in the balls and you would brush it off like its poo.

This year series that are extremely good but wont rank will be Overlord and Death parade

If Euphonium or non non biyori get to top 10 im killing someone

Series
1. One Punch Man; Funny, great characters, out standing animation.
2. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders Egypt; The pacing got a bit slow at times, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it.
3. Log Horizon; I totally forgot this aired this year, which is surprising since I enjoyed it so much. It's the only show that does the trapped in a mmo theme well.
4. Gangsta; I really wish this had a better ending, of what I watched I enjoyed it a lot.
5. Blood Blockade Battlefront; Beautiful art and character design. This is my favorite version of fictional New York.
6. Prison School; A pretty solid adaption of one of my favorite manga.
7.Mr Osomatsu; One of the few comedy anime I've enjoyed in the last couple of years.

Ova/Film

1. Mushishi Drops of Bells; A worthy conclusion to one of my favorite anime.
2. Little Witch Academia The Enchanted Parade; This is the best show Trigger has made.
3. Animator Expo; Is it okay to list the entire thing? I enjoyed pretty much everything that I watched form it.

kewlmyc

Series:

1. One Punch Man

To be expected. Just good fun, and some of the best animation of the year, which is saying a lot considering ufotable had two shows this year. The wait for the animated Garou arc will be long.

2. My Teenage Love Comedy SNAFU TOO!

A good example of taking a comedy series into a more dramatic path. The art change really helped as well since I would have never taken the drama seriously in the previous art style. A good example of a teenage romcom that isn't a complete drag to watch. The characters are interesting and the drama exists for a reason. What do you do when three friends clearly want to bang, but doing so would end their friendship?

3. Mr. Osomatsu

Another big surprise. It's been years since I've laughed this hard at an anime. It's the funniest anime of the year, even moreso than OPM. It takes characters from an 1940s and 1980s anime and brings them into the modern age, which great results. The show is a comedy so yeah the humor is hit or miss, but when it hits, holy shit it hits. My favorite skits have been the Todomatsu and the Five Demons, which nearly killed me from laughing to the point of choking, and Jyushimatsu Falls in Love, which is more heartfelt than funny and deals with some actual real life issues I wasn't expecting from a series like this.

4. Shirobako

A tragedy about a young woman and her coworker/friends who are so stressed out, they start imagining and having full back and forth conversations with anime characters, stuffed animals, and dolls. It's nice seeing an anime about young adults getting adjusted to their new career choices. It's also interesting seeing that the production of anime is no better than your standard college project. There's the one with big ideas who you have to push to actually do those big ideas, the dumbass who fucks everything up but is around so you can feel better about yourself, and the one who actually gets shit accomplished but from behind the scenes, plus many more. I ended up liking all of the characters that worked for the anime studio by the end of the show, even Hiraoka.

5. Death Parade

A show that explores how people's personalities change when they face death in the face. Decided to check this out due to this thread actually, and I'm very happy with what I watched. In purgatory, before you get sent to get reincarnated or waste away in an empty void forever, you have to play a game "with your life on the line". It was interesting seeing a duo fight to win a game while they slowly realized that they died and try to cope with the fear and dread of that. It also makes you think how you would handle a situation like that. My favorite game that they played was probably the air hockey game, though it got a tad ridiculous towards the end. The bowling game also had a pretty ridiculous reveal for the climax. Other than that, if you like anime and games that feature death games, then give this a shot, though it's psychological and not gory, if that's what you're looking for.

6. Sound Euphonium

It's like K-ON but if the show actually revolved around the characters getting good at playing music, rather than cake and tea. If you've ever been in concert band, give this show a shot since it's beautifully animated, has great development for the band members as they go to not caring about getting better to competing to go to the nationals, and a nice growing friendship (romance?) between two girls. Could have done without the boring "love triangle" featuring a guy who really only existed to give info dumps. This anime made me want to pick up my Alto Saxophone again after not playing it for 6 or so years.

7. Jojo Stardust Crusaders: Battle in Egypt

What's up with the resurgence of old series being animated this year? Anyway, a satisfying conclusion to the series that started last year. Not my favorite Jojo part, but it was a great series with fun villains and scenarios. Highlight has to be D'Arby's Gambling Battle and the final battle with DIO.

8. Rokka -Braves of the Six Flowers-

One of the bigger surprises of the year. The Aztec inspired locations were refreshing and the plot goes from generic fantasy to a freaking locked room and "who's the traitor" mystery in the first 4 episodes. Shoddy animation and a cliffhanger that will never be resolved unless you read the fan translated novels keep it from placing higher.

9. GATE

Any series that actually features an adult as a protagonist is refreshing in its own right. It's technically a harem, but it doesn't actually reach that point in the 13 episodes that aired this year. If you like guns and armies, you might like this since it's the Japanese Defense Force going to a fantasy land filled with knights, dragons, and magic and royally fucking their shit up. The MC is the JP equivalent of a Marine as well. America Nippon fuck yeah!

10. Fate/Stay Night - Unlimited Blade Works Part 2

While nowhere near as good as Fate/Zero, it's enjoyable if only for the fantastic animation and the climax fight between
Shirou and Gligamesh
. The show made me realize that UBW wasn't as good as I remember it being when I read the VN 7 years ago. You're either going to like the MC, Shirou, or completely loathe him.

Honorable Mentions:
Durarara x2 - First/Second Arc

Durarara is back and that's always a good thing. More of the weird shit you'd expect from this series, but with good heel turns for certain characters. Shizou and Izaya continue to be a highlight, while Mikado's decent unto criminal activity is good for the character.

Punchline

An anime from the writer of the Zero Escape series. While it has fanservice up the ass with panty shots being central to the freaking plot, the Zero Escape/Infinity writing definately shows around 1/3rd into the series. It has a pretty damn good ending as well, though it is essentially an advertisement for the game coming out next year. We might get it however so yay for that?

Films/OVA:

1. Digimon Tri Part 1

Nostalgia up the ass. While the animation was shoddy as hell at points (thanks Toei), it was still very enjoyable. Can't wait for Part 2 in March.

2. Boruto - Naruto the Movie

Surprisingly enjoyable considering I abandoned the anime in the Pain arc and the manga in the beginning of the World War arc. Cool seeing characters that you followed for a decent portion of your teenage life as adults with kids.

3. Psycho-Pass Movie

A true followup to Psycho-Pass after the shittastic second season. The characters introduced/developed in the 2nd season are either barely in it or don't show up at all. Fantastic

5. Persona 3 Movie 3

A kinda good adaption of the fall portion of the game. Or maybe I'm just desperate for good Persona anime, who knows. Makoto's development in the first two movies kinda got reset just so they could do something in this one. The trade off is that it makes his relationship with Ryoji have more meaning, which should pay off next film.

5. DBZ - Resurrection F

Somehow Boruto was more nostalgic for me, and Battle of the Gods was a way better DBZ experience for me. Despite that, this movie was still enjoyable for the most part, poorly done CG plagued fights aside.

Demoli

1. One Punch Man: Amazing action, stellar comedy, brilliant animation. One of the favourite of all time
2. JOJO part 3 egypt arc. My favourite part in the mangas finally got animated, and they nailed it.
3. Prision school. Really, REALLY funny.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
1. One Punch Man; The only anime series I've watched from start to end in over a decade and didn't feel awkward for watching it.

One punch man isnt gona be top 5. We are talking about the collection of people that somehow didnt have mushishi in a top 10 of 2014. Quality could hit some of you in the balls and you would brush it off like its poo.

This year series that are extremely good but wont rank will be Overlord and Death parade

If Euphonium or non non biyori get to top 10 im killing someone
You put overlord over One Punch Man?

OK.jpg

what? no, OPM is definetely top 3, im just saying overlord and death parade are gona be nowhere to be seen.
Ah.

Death Parade nobody expected it to be decent/good. And overlord for most looked like generic fantasy LN. So I can't blame them. I watched both and will rank them but most I wouldn't be surprised if they still rank solely on the weak year and many of the votes only ranking one punch man.

Is there a 2016 list of must watch/hypelist somewhere? All I know is Attack on Titan S2 or whatever

Can't exactly say what's "must watch" before it's come out, but here's my list of 2016 anime I'm paying attention to.

Winter 2016 TV:
Snow White with the Red Hair S2?
Boku dake ga Inai Machi
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Dimension W
Prince of Stride Alternative
Sekkou Boys?
Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
Oshiete! Gyaruko-chan?
Sushi Police
Bubuki Buranki
Dagashi Kashi?
Kono Danshi, Mahou ga Oshigoto Desu
Tabi Machi Late Show
Yami Shibai S3?
Teekyuu S7

Spring 2016 TV:
Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney)
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
Magi: Sinbad no Bouken?
Bakuon?
My Hero Academia
Bungou Stray Dogs
Concrete Revolutio S2?
Jojo Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable
Joker Game
Kaitou Joker S3?
Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge
Ushio and Tora
Mayoiga

Upcoming TV:
Shishou Series
Classicaloid
Drifters
Flying Witch
Mirai Arise
Sangatsu no Lion
All Out?
Kumamiko
Monster Hunter Stories
Yowamushi Pedal S3
Ginga Jinpuu Jinraiger?
Sound Euphonium S2
Kaitou Joker S3?
Show by Rock S2?
The Reflection
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

Upcoming Films/OVAs:
Cencoroll 2
Space Brothers #0
Project Itoh
Sinbad
The Beast and The Boy
Girls und Panzer movie
Vitreous Flower Destroys the World
Doukyuusei
Koe no Katachi
Yowamushi Pedal film
Kokoro ga Sakebitagatterun da?
Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni
Cyborg 009 vs. Devilman
Milky Holmes movie
Anime Mirai 2016
Kizumonogatari
Kimi no Na wa
The Red Turtle
Pigtails

Kohirond

Neo Member
1. Shokugeki no Soma (Food Wars): Even though I have very little cooking experience, I made the Gotcha Pork Roast a few times and I intend to cook even more dishes from the show. It's just so damn
fun
to watch, which made it very easy to forgive its ecchi and obvious gaps in logic.
2. Death Parade
3. One Punch Man

Honorable mention to Your Lie in April. It's only an honorable mention because I still didn't finish it yet. Good lord I'm gonna need strength for that.

jbug617

Banned
1. Shirobako:The ups and downs in the anime business. While the company was able to pull off 2 successful shows, they didn't put a rosy spin on the anime business.
2. Working S3: Everything seemed to move forward with all the characters. Provides a very good conclusion to the series.
3. One Punch Man : Great animation and Saitama is someone you can root for.
4. Shokugeki no Soma: I was a fan of the manga and the adaptation was really good.
5. Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru S2: Season 1 was good and this doesn't disappoint.
6. Himouto! Umaru-chan: Just stupid fun.The characters make this show.
7. Etotama: Made me believe in CG with the fight sequences.
8. Non Non Biyori Repeat: Disappointing compared to the first season because I expected it continue from where the OVA left off. The formula still works though.
9. Ore Montogari: Sweet love story. Friendship between Takeo and Sunakawa was the highlight.
10. Your Lie in April: While I felt they held on to the mother stuff a lot longer than I wanted, the story and characters made this a enjoyable watch.

Shows that just missed:
Kuroko no Basket S3
Dungeon ni Deai o Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka
Prison School
Wakako-Zake
Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou
Rakudai Kishi No Cavalry

Phatmac

1. Shirobako: A must-watch for any fan of anime. The second part continues to show the struggles that our cast deals with in the anime business, but it gets better with success for our cast. This show was fresh breath of air in a season filled with battle harems and other childish premises.
2. Non Non Biyori Repeat: It's more of the same with comfy episodes dealing with the mundane country life. The amount of charm and care put into the show makes it stand out. Hopefully we'll be able to revisit then again.
3. Shokegeki no Soma: This was fun cooking battle show with a lovable cast of characters. While it has some lewd moments they decrease in the later half as more attention is put on the cooking. Who says anime can't teach us anything when I became a better chef in real life thanks to some great food ideas?
4. Oregairu season 2: The new studio gave this series a different tone in general as it became more serious in the new season. Our loner protagonist still has to help out in the service club but it becomes more than that with disastrous results. It also introduced Iroha which made the season even better.
5. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders part 2: It's more great JoJo action but with more Dio so it was a great ride. Can't wait for part 4.
6. Gintama 2015: As a big Gintama fan I've been dying for the anime to come back. Even after catching up to the manga it still didn't feel right. The anime truly captures the spirit of the manga with amazing voice acting with other improvements that are anime-only. The reason this is lower than I'd put regular Gintama is the new studios' adaptation bring weaker than older Gintama. It's still great and hopefully it'll get better with the Shogun arc being adapted in December.
7. Sound Euphemium: Kyoani hasn't has a standout anime in some time so I'm glad this show was great. While the pandering to yuri moments are controversial considering the change to the source material it was still a good school band story.
8. One Punch Man: It's hard not to get sucked into the OPM hype so I became its latest victim. Madhouse deserves appreciation for faithfully adapting the manga nearly perfectly. Seeing these battles and moments finally updated was amazing and well worth the wait.
9. Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works: It's difficult to adapt VN's into anime considering the different routes that the story has with player choice. Ufotable did a great job with the adaptation but still missed some key moments with Shirou's character development. Still, it's a pretty show that gets the gist of Nasu's story. I can't wait for the HF movies.
10. Osomatsu-san: A pleasant comedy surprise for me this year. Comedy is difficult in anime so for this show to make me laugh is a difficult feat to accomplish. Episode 9 is the main reason it's here as if tackled a serious subject masterfully.

Film

1. LWA2: The same charm that made me love the first movie is back thanks to Kickstarter. I'm glad more anime studios have gone to Kickstarter as it shows how much support fans from all over the world are willing to give to stuff they want. The second movie is more of the same, but longer and better.

pbayne

So top ten just counting stuff that finished this year, so no Haykuu, Gintama, Ushio or Gundam etc.

1. Shirobako
2. JoJo
3. Non Non Biyori
4. Yona of the dawn
5. I cant understand what my husband is saying
6. Gatchaman Insight
7. One Punch Man
8. Garo season 1
9. Kuroko season 3
10. Is the order a rabbit season 2

Honorable mentions

Yatterman
School Live
Death Parade
Maria the Virgin Witch
Hibike
Prision school
My love story

And the show that got more praise than it deserves: Your lie in April...yep come at me.

Year in summary: Too much light novel, not enough shoujo

Defuser

I wish people who voted One Punch Man to be first should watch more shows before they get suckered in for the animation and hyperbole. No doubt One Punch Man is good but there are better shows to vote for, same goes for Jojo.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Series
  1. Shirobako;
  2. Haikyuu!!;
  3. Hibike! Euphonium;
  4. One Punch Man;
  5. Yuri Kuma Arashi;
  6. Shokugeki no Soma;
  7. Akagami no Shirayukihime;
  8. Osomatsu-san;
  9. Death Parade;