• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Creative Writing Challenge #164 – “Discipline”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blargonaut: Kind of reminds me of that thread from a couple weeks back about the math/logic question off a test from Singapore where some girl told two guys half of the information they needed to know her birthday, and by a process of elimination figured it out. I didn’t get that, and I don’t get this either. Just… What? What are we talking about? Explain it to me like I’m five.

3vW9yPR.gif

...oh very well, looks like I'll have to dispel the veil of shadows surrounding my entry :eek:

drYJilu.gif
GAFDB TRIVIA — Curio 'Behind-the-Scenes Peek'

• In this tale, there are indeed two characters engaging in dialogue; but, the lack of specification as to who each line is attributed to is meant to hint at the possibility of two aspects of one personality arguing with each other, inside a mind (the inner muses of a writer?).
  • The two characters simply alternate speaking lines, as in: character 1 speaks, then character 2 replies, then character 1 answers, then 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, etc.
  • The subject of their dialogue, "it", that one of the characters asks the other to describe, is actually the theme of this challenge itself: discipline. This entire story is a meta jab at both the primary and secondary objectives of this challenge; girl 1 asks girl 2 to describe "it" (the primary, discipline) to her, but girl 2 stubbornly refuses to tell girl 1 - an act of discipline that follows this challenge's secondary objective, the adjective-less/adverb-less Full Hemingway.
  • Explaining further from the last point: girl 1 is trying to carry out the primary objective of finding something to talk about regarding "it", but girl 2 simply refuses to describe "it"/discipline to girl 1 because she herself is trying to follow the secondary objective. In a sense, they are avatars of the objectives.
  • By the end of the tale, in deference to the primary objective, girl 2 remained disciplined and never divulged what "it" was to girl 1 despite being constantly pressed, only giving the vaguest of hints to both girl 1 and the reader via her final line, "Yeah, it is."
  • Also, the entire entry itself kept descriptive language to a minimum throughout, in deference to the secondary objective.
  • Girl 1's line, "If you can't tell me what it is or why you can't describe it, why even bring it up?" is another meta jab at both objectives, in reference to the frustration felt in trying to be disciplined towards the completion of both, but being unable to directly describe all the subtleties that discipline entails, because of the Full Hemingway anti-description restriction.
  • Girl 1's line, "It's...it's more like a catchphrase, or something." is alluding to "it"/discipline commonly being just a word we like to throw around and pretend that we're following.
  • The last bit of dialogue, talking about blackmail,

Girl 1. "How is that blackmail?"
    Girl 2. "Um, you're exploiting my weakness for your personal gain?"
    Girl 1. "That—actually, that is blackmail, isn't it?"
    Girl 2. "Yeah, it is."

is directly referring to the definition of discipline (a regimen of activity that is meant to improve a personal skill) and its loose resemblance to that of blackmail (exploiting/manipulating the point of weakness of another, for personal gain); as applying blackmail to yourself, forcing you into doing a task that you don't want to do, results in a 'personal gain' of experience in that task, thus equating to an improvement of a personal skill, however unwanted.
    (how's that for mental acrobatics)
  • The final line, "Yeah, it is." is directly hinting what "it", the subject that the girls have been discussing the whole time, is, for the reader to catch so that he/she might crudely deduce what the "curio" is; discipline, should he/she have made in their mind the admittedly very loose connection between the definition of discipline and the stated definition of blackmail.

^A sincere thank you to anyone who bothered to read all of that plot-holery

Now then, since my sheer criminal brilliance has finally been revealed to the parlour in all its vainglorious infamy, 1st place k

Tangent

Ourobolus - Amazingly Glorious Title: This was hilarious. I thought it was funny how in the 1st six paragraphs, you have no idea that the MC is at war with his own cravings! I liked the flow of the story and was gripped to find out the end. When he said, “No, I can do this” and “No, I can’t do this,” I like how you chose the word “no” in both – just to highlight the negative mind frame the character was in. But I think there might have been more mental chatter around this and it would have been fun to hear, too. I liked the last line. If he were really, really upset with himself, I wonder if he’d throw out the rest of the donuts instead of the juicer. I remember an episode of the Office where someone took his hands and scooped up some cake to eat after going back and forth… and then I think he threw the rest of the cake out!

Neeener - Top Bunk: The way you captured the frame of mind of the kids was so solid. I like the part where you said, “For some reason the thought that she might die right now…. She wanted to jump up and down, or laugh, or scream. She wanted to let the crazy feeling out.” I like how Nina couldn’t process all the emotions she was feeling but it simply made her feel amped up. I think the relationship with her and John was also spot on. Maybe this is morbid of me, but I kept on wondering if some terrible, unintended accident would happen as I read.

Zeitgeister - the true mindkiller: I just hung out with some family recently and was thinking how people follow bad examples just to feel good, or something like that. So I liked where you were going with this. I liked the brain flow. You could do something with this!

Nezumi - You shall not...: This was hilarious. One thing that I thought was ironic was how non-loving, and impatient, and uncaring Zaphon was being! Just with his language and his indifference to the priest jumping out the window! I loved all the examples: someone getting the main message mixed up with the small talk, the woman tortured as a heretic, and the priest thinking he was the devil, and the “other people.” What a confused god. What a sad situation!

Mike - In Heaven, Everything is Fine: I was thinking about what it’d be like for a surgeon with red-green color blindness when you mentioned the shade of green and degrees of red.  It was fun to listen to this maniacal thought process and this obsession with workaholism. I go the God comparisons but wondered why he thought he was better than God, persay. But I liked the line, “But I’m not complaining, God, no.” And then it seemed like it was explained with the last paragraph. Funny, I have a friend who uses dextroamphetamine for ADHD and narcolepsy. Two birds with one stone! I did feel like the explanation of why being a surgeon was so great was a bit lengthy but maybe that was the point.

Dandy Crocodile – Bound: This reminded me of a beautiful podcast and the resolve that the person who was coming out of a coma had. I’m always struck by the resolve kids have in situations like these, and how they don’t feel embarrassed or self-pitying or whatever. I would have been curious to know if any of the visitors, like the mother or the brothers, might have said anything about resenting the MC. Or, if they would have revealed something about themselves or the family or something that they would have not said otherwise. And was it hard for the MC to not be able to show his affection?

mu cephei - The Last Time: This was so emotional to read! I liked how the MC tried to justify his actions and explain himself in his own head. I thought it was surprising that he’d care what the woman’s friend would think. Ugh, so hard to read. People are so trapped in their ways!

Tangent - The Greatest Show on Earth: I liked the “mad hatter” title I was given with my name.

FlowersisBritish - Fathers and Bastards: This was a fun read! I was surprised that the story started with Serg rather than Jackie. It was a nice surprise, since I thought of Jackie as the MC. I wanted to know more about Jackie and how he had grown to hate his dad if he didn’t know his dad’s name or who his dad was. But I guess he figured so much. The last sentence was so powerful. It’s interesting to think about how new information like that sticks like glue.

Blargonaut - Curio: I liked your choice of words and I liked how they got tripped up in what they were even bickering about. Dialog tags might have been helpful; I had to re-read a little to figure out who was talking… but not a big deal with such a short and sweet story, I suppose. I thought of ELI5 from Reddit. I wanted to know more about the characters and their ages and their relationship with each other.

Cyan - Refuge in Audacity: I can’t believe those other students! Especially because I think sometimes richer people have this sort guilt around privilege: they feel like they didn’t earn or deserve to get what they have – like going to that prestigious school. Not to say that’s a good thing, but man! These girls were the other extreme! I liked the paragraph about logic and tiredness battling against pride. I guess all characters had pride in their own way. This story reminded me of Trenton Lee Stewart’s The Mysterious Benedict Society – perhaps because of the entrance exam in Stewart’s book. I was wondering if you were going to do something with Amica’s habit of looking down – if it would somehow help when she asked the teachers or something, since it kept on coming up. You built the personalities really well.

Ashes - Dinghy in a Maelstrom: Gosh two stories with domestic abuse. Why?! WHY?! I think your style of having separate sections and no quotations worked beautifully in this story. I’m a little dense and I didn’t quite understand why the first part was called “red” and the second part was called “yellow.” But I wondered if it had to do with Mum’s obsession with painting, or if the colors would hint at “black and blue” since the violence that the MC had seemed to be a surprise. I liked the surprise; because it made his sense of being overwhelmed, running the show, taking care of everyone, thinking his paper dictated his future, etc. – it made all of that fall into place with him sort not being able to keep his shit together. I thought it was interesting though, that Mum only spoke with confidence at the end, when reminding her son of how her dad belted him for not tidying his room or what not. What was interesting about this story was that in the beginning, James seemed to be the aloof villain who just didn’t care. But then in the end, it seemed like the MC was the a-hole for not even responding genuinely to the brother – it seemed like he had to mask any sense of vulnerability.

All: I wish I had paid more attention to word choice and to see how many people followed the secondary -- er tertiary objective. I guess the fact that nothing stuck out is interesting in and of itself though. Because that means those who followed the secondary had just as much of a smooth read as those who didn't.

Also, man, I feel like the more time I spend in reading stuff, the harder it for me to vote. One thing I can't stand about myself is my indecision. So may good stories. I'm flipping through them right now trying to figure out how to vote and it is HARD! Lots of good ones.

Votes:
1. Neener
2. Nezumi
3. Mu cephui
I also really liked both stories with domestic abuse in them and the odd relationship between "bastard" and "father,"even though these were jarringly emotional to read! I feel like the theme this week was that we're all crazy!

Tangent: What I found strange though was that he appeared to be the only elephant with a past like this.
Good point. I remember reading a short non-fiction story about an elephant sanctuary, and they seemed to have all sorts of backgrounds, but you're right: with the institution of the ban, you'd think the circus elephants would be crowding the sanctuaries in droves.

Even though I knew the elephants were going to start talking, it still seemed like a stumble when it actually did. Everything up until that point had been very naturalistic, and Harold had even had a few interactions with the elephants before there was any dialogue, which made the change to spoken dialogue a bit jarring. I also found it odd that the beginning of the story highlights the hardships circus elephants undergo with the bullhooks and other means of negative reinforcement to get them to behave, and yet Harold is eager to do a performance for the other elephants? While acknowledging that the “yoga poses” hurt his back in the same breath? I get that he was trying to connect on some meaningful level with them, but his circus tricks didn’t ever seem like something he’d want to willingly revisit in the hopes of impressing the other elephants. Kind of stands at odds with a closeness with his trainers too.
Good point about how there were natural interactions between the elephants, and then jarring dialog. I, too, felt like the dialog wasn't working but I didn't know how to fix it. Also, I see what you're saying: about how torturous it was to be a circus elephant, so why would he be so eager to to share the tricks? I think I was trying to get at how we're just a product of our upbringing and in some weird, twisted way, this is all he knew. He has to feel proud of something and he's so hyper-disciplined and trained, that he doesn't know anything else. And I think he had closeness with his trainers because I think this sort of thing happens.... there can be strong relationships between the oppressor and the oppressee....just like how a kidnapped kid can grow to be very loyal to kidnapper over the years, etc. Or just "codependency" in general.... I guess I didn't capture that well but I was trying to elude to that with the closeness between Harold and the trainers.

Mike M

Nick N
Less than two hours to get your votes in!

I will be a merciless bastard and not count votes posted after 12:00!

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Ourobolus: Although this was short, it was sweet in it's simplicity. I've been there. Although you lose points for making me want a doughnut.

Neeener: So you had me hook pretty quickly. the bizarre punishment is pretty funny and interesting. Leaves the kids in a bad biiiiind hahaha. The one criticism I have is I thought the ending was kinda boring. I mean clearly the punishment would end, but it's such an interesting punishment I kind of wanted a weird escalation.

Zeitgeister: So I love Hemingway, so i'm just gonna gush about Hemingway for a bit. I love what a ridiculous drunk he is! That man loves Absinthe more than i will ever love anyone in my life. I could tell that a female character was a fake and no good instantly in one of his novels because she drank fake Absinthe. In the same novel almost every character should have reasonably died of alcohol poisoning. God I fucking Love Hemingway.

Nezumi: So I love the way this progresses with things getting worse. The sheer concept is really strong, and your narration leads way to a couple smart laughs. I do wish there was a bit more differentiation between Zafon's world and his creations, seems he can enjoy there stuff like honey, but can also communicate via shouting down? Just wish I knew more about where he was.

Mike M: So I guess i'll comment on your formatting first. I rolled my eyes how you have locked content on your site. I get why, but at the same time I think it's kinda silly. Anyway the formatting came out great. Between the picture on top and double columns and the page numbers this looks very professionally done. The only thing that bothers me is the space between the first letter and actual word. I think its because of how small your font is. Also some minor nitpicks of your site but that's for another thread :p Onto your story, It's amazing an admirable how you have a character compare themselves to god and still come off kinda humble. And as the story progresses, you subtly see the sinister parts of his ego. The ending did feel kind of rushed though. We went from "kicking me out of my own stage" to "I made a few mistakes" it was a pretty garring transition. Great end line though. In reply to your own comment: feels more like a character piece to me, but you kind of bring it around at the end with an actual present event. To reiterate my previous criticism, i think it would become more a story if you added in more consequence at the end.

Dandy Crocodile: Your research paid off, definitely came off as a real experience. You do an excellent job carrying the story with the descriptions. Also you had some great lines in there, the "water color painting drying on a beach" really stayed with me. Weird criticism, feel free to call me a square, but the casual swearing turned me off. Maybe it was because I had some nice piano playing in the background, but whenever a "fuck" came up I got pulled out.

Mu Cephei: I think you came closest to fulfilling this ridiculous challenge, and holy cow this story is great! In little words you convey the beginning and fall of the father into this abusive relationship. It's gradual and disturbing, in part because you get his, the girl, and the kids gradual reactions to this. The MC is simultaneously disgusting, yet weirdly sympathetic because of how much he doesn't want to become this person. I also think your ending line is amazing. Good job!

Tangent: This started off cute with a pretty great description of the circus and ends pretty sad with a great end line. Your elephant interactions were great, and I enjoyed the other elephants apathy to Harold's past, especially since it led to that sad end. There were also a couple really fun details, like Harold making a circle of bones.

FlowersisBrit- I don't normally do these, but I have some things to say. First, I'm super embarrassed by Nezumi's comment! Didn't mean to so directly go against the secondary! It just kind of happened! I've been listening to American Gods by Neil Gaiman and I've been loving his descriptions and spoken stories. So much so, i tried to emulate some of that. Mostly i was working on my descriptions in this, specifically character descriptions. I don't describe my characters enough, so i thought to get some practice in. Also i wanted some inconsequential speeches because i really like those and haven't done some in awhile. The second important thing I wanted to say is, much like my last story, this was supposed to be way longer. So as a good deal of you know, i broke my arm about a month and a half ago, and now it's almost better. Having an almost broken arm trapped in a sling is constraining and i really want to just move and stretch it. Similarly, I usually write much longer stories (about three to five thousand words), so I've been getting weirdly similar feelings with these stories. They want to stretch out like my arms! It's really weird for me to think about them like that. I don't know why I mention it, maybe out of my own need of explanation? Who knows? Well now this has just turned into ramblings...

Blargonaught- Pre Explanation:This is a pretty natural dialogue... and that's it? Is it? Reading through other people's responses where they say they didn't get it is making me super paranoid that there is more to this then my feeble brain can handle. It's really freaking me out. Maybe it wouldn't freak me out if you used some god damn dialogue cues you jerk. Post Explanation: Oh, this is way more clever than I thought. You put a lot of thought into this meta commentary, and it's a pretty good commentary. The process around it was super clever, and this is a weird instance where you're explanation bumped this up for me. Still should use dialogue cues you jerk.

Votes:
1) Mu Cephei
2) Blargonaught
3) Mike M

Now the other two...

Cyan: I am now really curious about the ending. I really loved how Amica is trying to sell herself, and everyone refusing her own worth as a person constantly. Something about the idea is really interesting to me. Also, the idea she'd just ask the teacher for the questions is super crazy, I really want to know how that would play out.

Ashes: So your formatting is weird but this is a weird story, as evident by the shift in narration in part two. What i like about the formatting was the ambiguous nature of it. I'm throwing out a guess, so please correct me, but to me the big words were spoken and the small were thoughts. Anyway the shift in the second part is what makes this story so interesting. I love how you address a big part of nonfiction, and pull cloak off of the MC revealing him to be an asshole. I also love how you end with it being somewhat justified at the end with the brother doing the thing, and the MC feeling guilty about it. Ultimately, this was pretty fucked up. Good job.

Insertia

Currently writing a book about my experience with swine flu. Its very raw and I don't feel confident about the mature content. I oddly feel like the world isn't ready. Am I crazy? I guess writers face these challenges.

FlowersisBritish

Currently writing a book about my experience with swine flu. Its very raw and I don't feel confident about the mature content. I oddly feel like the world isn't ready. Am I crazy? I guess writers face these challenges.

Insertia I think you might want this thread instead. That one is kind of the dedicated general writing discussion for books and such. This thread is more biweekly short story contests.

Cyan

Banned
1. Prof mu cephei - "The Last Time"
2. Qween Nezumi - "You shall not..."
3. 10/6 Tangent - "The Greatest Show on Earth"

Mike M

Nick N
SgtSlaughterGijoe1.png

And that's time! Voting is now closed.

Tabulation will begin in the morning because I probably should not have stayed up this late just to slam the door in people's faces in the first place.

FlowersisBritish

And that's time! Voting is now closed.

Tabulation will begin in the morning because I probably should not have stayed up this late just to slam the door in people's faces in the first place.

I can't sleep. I like math.

1) Nezumi
2) Mu
3) Mike

Assuming my sleepy math isn't wrong, congratulations Nezumi! Rule us like a wrathful god.

Nezumi

Thanks for the feedback and the votes, everyone. I had a lot of fun coming up and writing this story and I'm glad you enjoined it.

Here is the next thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom