• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix increasing prices again ($11 for 2-device HD streaming)

Spuck-uk

Banned
Netflix is so much better value than absolutely anything going on cable/satellite.

People bawwwing over a dollar smh

Spuck-uk

Banned
Quality > Quantity ... example Disney's service is £4.99 and has way higher quality than Netflix content is here for £10 a month

The increase may seem fair if your in the US because you have and get far more decent content than the sloppy seconds we get

I'm in the UK as well, and you're talking absolute nonsense.

Sec0nd

Netflix is putting out so much quality content. I'll pay that extra euro gladly if that means they keep creating more and more original stories. There is no better production company around.

black_13

Banned
After the horrible show The Defenders was I'm skeptical about renewing. And I haven't really liked any of their new shows. Didn't even like Stranger Things.

I feel like the quality of their shows is going down as they are spreading their money across more original shows.

Ash735

Everyone keeps saying they're making great content, can someone highlight what's NEW in the past year that's worth checking out then? Most new shows this year haven't been anywhere near the quality of shows from previous years, it feels like they're just doing more and more and it's getting less focused.

If you're going to mention shit like Big Mouth and Neo Yokio, don't even bother responding.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Everyone keeps saying they're making great content, can someone highlight what's NEW in the past year that's worth checking out then? Most new shows this year haven't been anywhere near the quality of shows from previous years, it feels like they're just doing more and more and it's getting less focused.

If you're going to mention shit like Big Mouth and Neo Yokio, don't even bother responding.

There's no point because you've already drawn a line in the sand which implies you aren't debating so much as lecturing and waiting to call other people idiots.

Mind Hunter is coming out next week, a show about the origin of FBI's serial killers profiling unit, created and directed by David Fincher.
American Vandal is a brilliant parody of true crime shows like Making A Murder and Serial, Ozark is a good show about a man laundering money for a drug cartel, GLOW is a terrific show about the 80s Women Wrestling League, haven't watched it but everyone says The Crown is very good, The Keepers is another good true crime investigation series.

Ash735

There's no point because you've already drawn a line in the sand which implies you aren't debating so much as lecturing and waiting to call other people idiots.
Sorry for expecting more of a higher standard of quality like Netflix used to have unlike this year where they've lowered the bar soo much they're churning out high priced crap for their NEW shows.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Sorry for expecting more of a higher standard of quality like Netflix used to have unlike this year where they've lowered the bar soo much they're churning out high priced crap for their NEW shows.

TV show on Bluray - £30
New video game - £40 - 60
Netflix plus Amazon plus Shudder plus WWE Network plus Now TV - under £30 a month.

Sometimes I think having lived through years where streaming trailers took thirty minutes has made me appreciate how awesome these services are.

Ash735

TV show on Bluray - £30
New video game - £40 - 60
Netflix plus Amazon plus Shudder plus WWE Network plus Now TV - under £30 a month.

Sometimes I think having lived through years where streaming trailers took thirty minutes has made me appreciate how awesome these services are.

That's beside the point, they're still awesome, but they're asking for more money to do rubbish shows! It's going to get to the point where it reaches that cut off point where most will unsubscribe, meaning they're going to LOSE money and for what? Shows like Big Mouth and Neo Yokio (which again, had the budget like 5x of most animes which mainly went on the damn cast!).

Tigress

I know Netflix can't help it (they realized they couldn't get other shows cheap forever), but they are getting worse and getting more expensive. It's harder for me to find something to watch on it and their original shows aren't very long (like 8-10 eps and most are new so there isn't even much backlog) so they go by quick and then I'm still left with what next.

I like their app best (Though HBO go has gotten a lot better) and Amazon Prime never has what I want without it costing even more (though at least when I really want to watch something they have it). So I stick with them. But they are getting worse so it is annoying they are charging more.

Spuck-uk

Banned

Out of the Netflix originals released in the last 12 months I've really enjoyed:

Bojack Horseman
Narcos
Ozark
The Get Down
13 Reasons Why
The OA
Santa Clarita Diet
GLOW
Castlevania
Black Mirror
Blame!
War Machine
Icarus

People are honest to god spoiled by the amount of good stuff out there.

I know Netflix can't help it (they realized they couldn't get other shows cheap forever), but they are getting worse and getting more expensive. It's harder for me to find something to watch on it and their original shows aren't very long (like 8-10 eps and most are new so there isn't even much backlog) so they go by quick and then I'm still left with what next.

I like their app best (Though HBO go has gotten a lot better) and Amazon Prime never has what I want without it costing even more (though at least when I really want to watch something they have it). So I stick with them. But they are getting worse so it is annoying they are charging more.
The issue is that people go through their content very quickly because it is on demand. I mean, those 8-10 episodes would have you cost a 3-4 month cable subscription otherwise, which is a lot more money.

In Europe they are the ones airing Star Trek Discovery and The Good Place. So reason for me to keep subscribed already there. The comedy specials from Chappelle and Seinfeld recently.

Spuck-uk

Banned
That's beside the point, they're still awesome, but they're asking for more money to do rubbish shows! It's going to get to the point where it reaches that cut off point where most will unsubscribe, meaning they're going to LOSE money and for what? Shows like Big Mouth and Neo Yokio (which again, had the budget like 5x of most animes which mainly went on the damn cast!).

Blame! on it's own is better than 99% of any other anime released on Crunchyroll in the last year.

Spuck-uk

Banned

He's right, you're not even attempting to argue in good faith.

UrbanRats

Out of the Netflix originals released in the last 12 months I've really enjoyed:

Bojack Horseman
Narcos
Ozark
The Get Down
13 Reasons Why
The OA
Santa Clarita Diet
GLOW
Castlevania
Black Mirror
Blame!
War Machine
Icarus

People are honest to god spoiled by the amount of good stuff out there.

Bolded the ones i've enjoyed (though i certainly wouldn't keep it for Castelvania, as short as it was).
Though i'd add (just in general) I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House and season 1 of Stranger Thing was alright.

Hopefully Mind Hunter will deliver.

Other things, like I don't feel at home on this planet anymore, are decent, but i wouldn't have bothered if i didn't already have Netflix.

Seems to me like the ideal thing is to just pay the one month a series you care about releases, binge it within the 30 days, and drop it till next year (or till the next interesting thing comes along).

To each their own, though.

They are trying though, i'll give them that.

EDIT: Just remembered, their comedy specials are good, especially for regions that don't usually get that stuff.

I think the ironic thing about people complaining about the original content is that the original content is keeping the price from rising higher more quickly since they aren't at the mercy of the licensing fees from the content provider.

Ash735

I think the ironic thing about people complaining about the original content is that the original content is keeping the price from rising higher more quickly since they aren't at the mercy of the licensing fees from the content provider.
And yet, outside of the US at least, we're LOSING content at a rapid rate.

Gonna need some numbers on this since I’m pretty sure there’s been a lot of reports of them pumping money into their own content.

SMattera

Gonna need some numbers on this since I'm pretty sure there's been a lot of reports of them pumping money into their own content.

It's more theoretical and benefits Netflix more so than their consumer.

They have more control over their own content and spend.

If they're just a pipeline for someone else's content, then the content providers can jack the prices up as much as they want, and Netflix would have no choice but to eat it. Especially because a streaming service is somewhat of a commodity, and other companies could build identical services.

If they have their own content, they can capture more of the dollars they charge subscribers, and can negotiate more aggressively with the media companies they do buy from.

Generally, you see this phenomenon a lot with restaurants that don't own their own building. If the restaurant is successful, the building owner will just keep jacking up the rent until the restaurant owner is squeezed out. That's why real estate is such a big deal to companies like McDonald's.

Top Bottom