• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix increasing prices again ($11 for 2-device HD streaming)

Thoraxes

Even more glad I dropped my sub back when they jacked up my standard sub from $7 to $10 last year.

It wasn't that it was too much $$$, but more that I perceived its value as even less to me at a higher cost, thus I cancelled.

$15/mo has always been my cut-off so looks like Netflix is still safe with me. Honestly surprised it was anything below that, so it's always been underpriced in my eyes.

Neo Yokio Season 2 isn't going to pay for itself.

Wouldn't surprise me if they eventually reach the point of phasing out the middle tier entirely. Up the Basic Tier 10 $9.99 and offer a single HD screen, and making "Premium Tier" the new standard at $14.99.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Oh no, now I can buy one less Mountain Dew gamer fuel. Oh the humanity--providing unlimited movies and TV shows with a huge selection for the same price I just paid to go see some shitty movie with The Rock in it. The fucking nerve.

Oh no, now I can buy one less Mountain Dew gamer fuel. Oh the humanity--providing unlimited movies and TV shows with a huge selection for the same price I just paid to go see some shitty movie with The Rock in it. The fucking nerve.
MoviePass is $10 a month though

Caelestis

I am ok with it, but I am also ok with unsubbing and only subbing for a month here and there to catch up on the shows...

MaxDOL

I prefer Netflix to use price discrimination strategy by lower subscription price for us in developing countries.

9.99 usd are already exceed more than 1 day wage in my country.

Or they can offer 6-12 months long subscription but maybe lower the price to 4.99 usd per months.

I am ok with it, but I am also ok with unsubbing and only subbing for a month here and there to catch up on the shows...

They really need to incentivize against this if they're going to keep bumping the price every so often. Not saying it's wrong by the way, actually it's the financially smartest way to enjoy Netflix. Just sub and binge what you want then unsub until the next time. Right now they're just betting on the extra hassle keeping people subbed.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wonder if it's a coincidence that the same day this is announced, Hulu sends me an e-mail offering $5.99/mo for their limited commercials plan for 1 year. Hmm.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Do you poo on those who do the dew? Shame on you.

Reallink

Actually the original plan limited you to how many hours you could stream content.

That was when Streaming was only bundled with the DVD plans. I think it was $7.99 or $8.99, which included Unlimited 1 DVD/BD at a time and Unlimited streaming. IIRC there was a capped plan that was like $4 or $5 that included limited DVD/BD's (2 or 3 a month) and Limited Streaming. When they broke Streaming into a stand alone service is was $7.99 Unlimited HD.

If you want me to use the old bundles to make the same point I'm glad too. So actually the original plan for $8.99 would get you unlimited Blurays AND the highest tier streaming. Now the same level of service is $24 ($9.99 1 Disc + $13.99 Highest Streaming Tier), a whopping 166% price increase.

I hope this means more Ultra 4K (HDR & DV)
content. It's just insulting that The Expanse is only available in HD.

I will always remain sad at the low amount of content available for me who likes old stuff. I mean, Men In Tights is available for viewing, but The Princess Bride isn't? For shame!

SMattera

Really don't get the "I'll switch to Hulu".

Hulu has Sienfield and Southpark and a bunch of new shows, but only a handful of episodes. Want to start at the beginning? Too bad.

And nowhere near as much comedy/documentaries. I guess it has the Kardashians if you're into that sort of thing.

Netflix is still best value service by far. I'd easily pay $20+ month. After that, I might consider going back to cable. But commercials and that interface...ew.

holygeesus

Banned
I watch HBO more than I do Netflix. Controversially, I think they have a better film catalogue albeit a smaller one.

AoM

Really don't get the "I'll switch to Hulu".

Hulu has Sienfield and Southpark and a bunch of new shows, but only a handful of episodes. Want to start at the beginning? Too bad.

And nowhere near as much comedy/documentaries. I guess it has the Kardashians if you're into that sort of thing.

Netflix is still best value service by far. I'd easily pay $20+ month. After that, I might consider going back to cable. But commercials and that interface...ew.

What do you mean by a handful of episodes?

After watching the third season of Narcos, I'll pay the extra $2. Definitely worth it.

But $15 per month is my limit for these kinds of service. With literally everything going to a subscription model these days, I'm already juggling a half-dozen other subscriptions per month.

Netflix is still a good value for me but if the price keeps creeping up, then it'll no longer be a no-brainer purchase.

Coxy100

Banned
Quality > Quantity ... example Disney's service is £4.99 and has way higher quality than Netflix content is here for £10 a month

The increase may seem fair if your in the US because you have and get far more decent content than the sloppy seconds we get

you what?

The content netflix has over Disney is far far better.

BroBot

This is their strategy to help pay for a season 4 of Girl Meets World, and a season 2 of The Get Down right? .... Right???

Sigh

UrbanRats

Ever since they cracked down on VPN use, it's really been hard to justify Netflix.
In my region, pretty much any movie i want to see at any given time, it's not there, or has been pulled.

Their original stuff has been mostly disappointing, both movies and TV (i can count on one hand the stuff i've liked).

Stranger Things Season 2 and Better Call Saul are the main reasons i'm keeping mine (and because other family members use it, i guess).

Not that there's that much of a choice for alternatives here, though.

Rosur2a

not a fan of the increase but if it goes over £10 I'll probably cancel and sub only 1/2 months a year to binge watch the new Netflix shows I want to then cancel.

mrkgoo

I would say still worth it, as it's basically my only TV. But then, I don't even pay for the standard, I just have basic. And I'm not in US.

120v

love or hate the content it's been throwaway cheap for years. netflix has stated for awhile they're going to course correct

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't check whether my region is getting an increase but I really don't mind an increase. I understand that my region is still catching up on content but there's really quite a bit to watch. I probably watch on average an hour of content a day, some months more and I pay about 18 dollars in my currency. Would Glad subscribe if they maintain the same type of content at the same pace, even if they increase the sub to 30 dollars in my currency.

sfedai0

Banned
Because its Gaf im gonna assume its hyperbole when those of you say their original content is horrible. They are the only platform out there right now that has something new for almost every genre. Hard to believe some of you saying they find absolutely nothing worth watching.

UrbanRats

Because its Gaf im gonna assume its hyperbole when those of you say their original content is horrible. They are the only platform out there right now that has something new for almost every genre. Hard to believe some of you saying they find absolutely nothing worth watching.

I didn't find it horrible, but very bland and forgettable, for sure (aside from a couple of examples).
Whether that's worthy or not, in virtue of the quantity of it produced, that's another matter.

Jacknapes

I'm guessing the UK price will go up at some point next year, think it happened a year after the last US price rise. Still a bargain price for the content alone available.

But still, what i pay for Netflix, Amazon and NowTV (movies and TV) combined is less than Sky and i get the content i mostly watch (think in total it's around the £30 mark for all 3)

original content sucks in general and makes things overpriced

netflix is great for watching unoriginal content though. that was the entire point of it.

shame that it's becoming yet another content factory. it used to be a cool tech company

there are so many ways to improve the watching & discovering of others' content, but the development of the actual product has stagnated. or as some would say, regressed

Azerare

Still got a subscription for shows like Archer and Always sunny. Not really a fan of the original content I've seen so far.

I noticed they've been losing shows... are they going to Hulu? I may just sub to them instead at this point.

UrbanRats

original content sucks in general and makes things overpriced

netflix is great for watching unoriginal content though. that was the entire point of it.

shame that it's becoming yet another content factory. it used to be a cool tech company

there are so many ways to improve the watching & discovering of others' content, but the development of the actual product has stagnated. or as some would say, regressed

Non original content is shit, because copyright law is silly on a global scale.
Content gets pulled constantly, and many areas have pathetic libraries (and again, since they stomped out VPNs, you can't access other region's).

At least original content can get around that, most of the time.

Boss Mog

I don't really care that much about the rate hike, there's enough content there to justify a much higher price to be honest. Especially with regards to foreign shows/films which you can't really find anywhere else. Plus you can easily share your Netflix sub with friends or family and Netflix doesn't even care, they almost encourage it in fact. Obviously you're still limited to 2 or 4 screens at a time when sharing.

That being said I wish they would pay closer attention to the original content they greenlight production on because while there are many gems withing Netflix Originals there's also many turds and I hate to think my sub pays for that garbage content.

Wiped89

I'm starting to think of dropping from 4k to regular Netflix and save the price rise money.

That extra £2 is £24 a year. Not huge but not nothing.

And tbh I've been super disappointed in Netflix's 4K. There's not much of it, and now PS4 and Xbox One are both forced into HDR mode for non HDR content, which looks abysmal.

Might drop it back down for a bit and see how I feel. Bitrates are dreadful on 4K anyway.

Outside of a few great Netflix Originals (OITNB, Ozark, Stranger Things Daredevil), there isn't much on there of interest in the UK to warrant an ongoing subscription. The BBC still outputs the best British drama and the remain terrestrials and Sky channels snap up the best of the US content. And the decent older stuff I've already watched - and I don't typically like to watch things twice.

Hence why I usually only subscribe two or three times a year - cancel it straight away, and just binge watch whichever series I want to catch up on within the month.
There's not much of it, and now PS4 and Xbox One are both forced into HDR mode for non HDR content, which looks abysmal.

Why not use your TV's built in app?

Wiped89

Why not use your TV's built in app?

The built in app doesn't look as good. I've done side by sides with the same settings and the PS4 blows it out the water (LG OLED). I think it's because the PS4 just has more video processing power to enhance the picture. I've found the same on BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime.

This isn't the point. If you multiply that number by their subscribers it is clear what they are doing.

Also, that's per month. If I could get $1-$2 per month from that many people I'd be much wealthier than I am.

It's Netflix, an entertainment service. Non-essential.

You probably didn't notice that your local grocery store raised the price of the products you buy most by 5-10 cents each, but you won't see anyone throwing a fit.

We all wished we had the ingenuity to found something like Netflix. I know Blockbuster does, lol.

Don't hate the playa, hate the game.

The built in app doesn't look as good. I've done side by sides with the same settings and the PS4 blows it out the water (LG OLED). I think it's because the PS4 just has more video processing power to enhance the picture. I've found the same on BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime.

Which model of LG OLED do you have out of interest? My C6 OLED (same SoC as the E6) has IQ just as good as the PS4, and more importantly, it outputs at native 24p (PS4 doesn't). But my previous EF950 OLED had really poor quality IQ using the built in apps. I suppose it depends which SoC you have in your TV.

That aside, if PS4 is outputting everything in HDR, then surely you are still better using the built in app? And you get Dolby Vision support with the built in apps too.

That was when Streaming was only bundled with the DVD plans. I think it was $7.99 or $8.99, which included Unlimited 1 DVD/BD at a time and Unlimited streaming. IIRC there was a capped plan that was like $4 or $5 that included limited DVD/BD's (2 or 3 a month) and Limited Streaming. When they broke Streaming into a stand alone service is was $7.99 Unlimited HD.

If you want me to use the old bundles to make the same point I'm glad too. So actually the original plan for $8.99 would get you unlimited Blurays AND the highest tier streaming. Now the same level of service is $24 ($9.99 1 Disc + $13.99 Highest Streaming Tier), a whopping 166% price increase.

They weren't licensing and producing original content back then, and even when they did the 'peak tv' market didn't hit full tilt. New, original content is expensive. You cannot survive on $8.99/9.99 a month and expect to get rights to all the content they're securing.

Top Bottom