• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

Mike Golf

You know you're in trouble when the best proof for your display quality claim is a bunch of shitty phone camera photos

Well to be fair the difference is still noticeable, you can clearly see the UI in the N3DSXL where all bright detail on the Reg XL is washed out. I would have preferred he showed the same image on both screens though to have a more direct comparison, sub-par camera or not.

Regardless, thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention OP. I don't own a N3DSXL yet but that's good info to know.

Gnub

My guess is that the screen had to be updated along with the eye/face tracking 3d. With wider viewing angles for 3d the viewing angles for colors would also need to be improved.

Just a theory though.

m0t0k1

"Citation needed", for what it's worth.

Yeah the article marc has posted isnt to sure either?

translated by google:
"The study of subpixels reveals a slab that closely resembles a Sharp IGZO , probably type IPS given the contrast ratio and viewing angles. One may also note the difference of maximum brightness of the sub pixels on these two pictures."

This is research for the N3DS instead of XL right? So maybe they do have the same screens? But the picture just shared by MrKeinov looks like the viewing angles on the XL are better. But i am not to sure.

big_z

this is false, the new 3ds uses at least two variants of panels and once again nothing is calibrated properly to save money. here's an example of two panels.

Hp1nLm4.jpg

the easiest way to check which you have is to watch and see if the wifi indicator washes out or remains readable.

panel A seems to be more common, but it also suffers from a scanline or pwm effect as mentioned in this thread.

panel B is clearly a tn screen. it does not suffer from the scanline issue however the super stable 3D is reported to be much worse with this screen than type A. this might explain why a small number claim the 3D is still crap or worse.

It is a unit by unit thing. In short QC at the factory is shit. At first they were allowing fairly clearly tinted screens (in particular yellow) through but now it is like they don't bother to check if the colour calibration between top and bottom is consistent.

For people who want to test theirs get a DS game, on the 3DS screen of it booting up (or was it the black screen after) pull the cartridge out. Now you have two "black" screens to compare. It is best to do this in as dark a place as you can.

its nice to see my test method being picked up by people. I got so tired of people thinking the off screens was glue drying and other ridiculous things.

for those reading that want more information you can see my other post here.

partridge

The bit about changing to IPS screen was actually added to both New 3DS and New 3DS XL originally, on Nov. 8:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Newニンテンドー3DS&diff=53464196&oldid=53436346

Then someone added [citation needed] to both of them on Feb. 12:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Newニンテンドー3DS&diff=54405203&oldid=54374146

And then removed from New 3DS on Mar. 2:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Newニンテンドー3DS&diff=54588214&oldid=54527128

Sorral

Almost bought a New 3DS yesterday. I really don't want an XL with such PPI though, so I'd love to avoid it unless the difference in quality of colors is that big.

this is false, the new 3ds uses at least two variants of panels and once again nothing is calibrated properly to save money. here's an example of two panels.

http://i.imgur.com/Hp1nLm4.jpg[/img

the easiest way to check which you have is to watch and see if the wifi indicator washes out or remains readable.

[B]panel A[/B] seems to be more common, but it also suffers from a [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=996515"]scanline or pwm effect as mentioned in this thread.[/URL]

[B]panel B[/B] is clearly a tn screen. it does not suffer from the scanline issue however the super stable 3D is reported to be much worse with this screen than type A. .[/QUOTE]

There is probably no way to know beforehand, but I'm going to ask anyway: Is there any way to know if it will be type A or B?

Sounds like a total crapshoot from reading the old threads...

Interesting. I wonder if some form of correlation between panel variant and date of manufacture can be made. These panel lotteries suck.

Yikes

I'd say this is a good reason to wait to buy one, but I don't imagine there's much guarantee this will ever change. If anything it could get worse over the lifetime of the hardware.

big_z

There is probably no way to know beforehand, but I'm going to ask anyway: Is there any way to know if it will be type A or B?

Sounds like a total crapshoot from reading the old threads...

unfortunately no. the only information you can get without opening the box is the firmware version. as a result I recommend buying from a place with a lax return policy.

finding a 3ds that has proper calibration, no dead pixels, super loose hinge or other defects is very rare. the quality control is awful.

corn_fest

Wow, what a bunch of bullshit. I was thinking about trading up for one, but not if there's a chance of getting stuck with a Type B.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
So we got two versions and Nintendo can't seem to keep their shit together or calibrate it properly. More glad I didn't get one. I don't like supporting cheap cash-ins before the actual next gen thing.

SerTapTap

panel A seems to be more common, but it also suffers from a scanline or pwm effect as mentioned in this thread.

panel B is clearly a tn screen. it does not suffer from the scanline issue however the super stable 3D is reported to be much worse with this screen than type A. this might explain why a small number claim the 3D is still crap or worse.

...Nintendo is so freaking terrible so often. It's unbelievable. Please at least hire someone else to make your hardware Nintendo.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Cool, my xl has the IPS screen, you can tell in the dark when moving the system at an angle, while the top screen is fine the bottom screen looks completely washed out.

big_z

So we got two versions and Nintendo can't seem to keep their shit together or calibrate it properly. More glad I didn't get one. I don't like supporting cheap cash-ins before the actual next gen thing.

the original 3ds/xl isn't calibrated either and suffers from the same issues. the only difference with the new 3dsxl is that the chance of getting a crappier tn panel is also thrown into the mix on top of everything else.

I went through 14 3dsxl's and only two were acceptable. out of the two that were good one had debris trapped on the screen. most common flaws were:
-poor calibration(12 units, some really bad)
-dead pixels(6 units had them)
-overly loose hinge(4 units)
-debris under the screen(2 units)

I plan to order 3-4 n3dsxl once bestbuy/futureshop fix my account. I hope ill luck out with a decent unit but odds are not in the buyers favor and if I don't get one i'll give up. I cant bring myself to playing the quality lotto again.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Damn, that sucks. My XL is fine but I got it off a gaffer. Don't know if they had trouble finding a good one or not.

stuminus3

Banned
Huh. I have an OG 3DS XL and a New 3DS XL and now that you mention it, the difference of the top screen (with 3D off) is pretty obvious.

Hp1nLm4.jpg

its nice to see my test method being picked up by people. I got so tired of people thinking the off screens was glue drying and other ridiculous things.

Man, that's extremely discouraging. I already didn't want to buy a XL because of the New regular not coming, but that just makes me question any purchase for quite a while.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.

Hp1nLm4.jpg

This is dreadful! Can't believe Nintendo has got this unacceptably crap as a hardware maker when competing in a world of ever improving screens and quality.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think it should be noted that the regular New 3DS still has a much improved screen over the previous models. It has a deeper black level, for one thing, leading to more vibrant imagery and better contrast. It also has better viewing angles though still not great. The XL looks yellow-ish and washed out from an angle - the N3DS retains its color a bit better.

Here's a crappy attempt at a picture but it reflects reality. Both are using the same blue theme. There's a huge difference between them particularly with darker content.

E92 M3

Nintendo is following in Samsung's footsteps if there are actually two different displays lol. Hopefully we have a way to differentiate before actually opening the product.

RK128

So for the system that blows up a low resolution, you give it the best screen for color so that way the games can still look great despite them being blown up on the XL model? Smart thinking Nintendo :); heard reports that the 'New' 3DS XL having great color (and I can sorta see that; Mario Kart 7, Smash 3DS and Majoras Mask 3D popped when I played them on Nintendo World's N3DSXL's) so this explains that then :).

Still not sold on the N3DSXL (happy with my 2DS :); don't play it much and when I do play it, it feels great to hold for long periods of time), but for people looking into the new models, this is great news to know.

Zeldana

Neo Member
I went through 14 3dsxl's and only two were acceptable.
Oh wow. I decided to accept my third OG 3DS even though I wasn't 100% satisfied with it, but at least it ended up having a cooler (more blue tinted) screen, a stable hinge, and a circle pad without excess resistance.

What struck me as really unusual was my Japanese Glacier White 3DS - it arrived (as far as I can tell) exceptionally flawless. I want to play it wearing gloves lol because it just looks and feels much nicer than my US 3DS. I don't have other JPN units to compare it to, but it'd be really disappointing if Nintendo intentionally dropped the ball with QC for other regions.

Also this thread has me hesitant to jump aboard the n3DS/nXL train until there's obvious consistent improvement in their upcoming handheld devices. Don't know how likely that is to happen, though.

Hp1nLm4.jpg

Well, this sucks, I got Type B. I figured something was off when I was booted up my system at first. The 3D tracking and look wasn't nearly as good as when I used the demo unit they had in the store (which was excellent).

Hp1nLm4.jpg

I can't believe they're charging over $200 for this piece of shit in 2015. The amount of cost cutting and corner taking Nintendo has been doing recently is really demotivating.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Welcome to the world of Nintendo: Amazing software held back by terrible hardware.
There's nothing terrible with the new 3DS XL screen, it's actually highly impressive even after 3 weeks. We can now play under a bright sun with no visibility problem. What they achieved with the new 3D is brilliant. No loss in luminosity whatsoever, even in 3D mode. I have a new iPad, a Vita, and looking at 3DS games in 3D is the most impressive experience out of the 3.

There's nothing terrible with the new 3DS XL screen, it's actually highly impressive even after 3 weeks. We can now play under a bright sun with no visibility problem. What they achieved with the new 3D is brilliant. No loss in luminosity whatsoever, even in 3D mode. I have a new iPad, a Vita, and looking at 3DS games in 3D is the most impressive experience out of the 3.

Do you ever get dizzy from the amount of spin you put on every post?

AdanVC

Really? damn it now my urge to get a N3DSXL is up. Just when I was waiting for NoA to release the regular N3DS (LOOL, yes I'm still hoping for that to happen let me dream!).

mtodavk

Wow, I was even one of the people that sent NoA a message asking them to bring the regular new 3ds to the states.

I'm kinda glad we have the XL now...

the original 3ds/xl isn't calibrated either and suffers from the same issues. the only difference with the new 3dsxl is that the chance of getting a crappier tn panel is also thrown into the mix on top of everything else.

I went through 14 3dsxl's and only two were acceptable. out of the two that were good one had debris trapped on the screen. most common flaws were:
-poor calibration(12 units, some really bad)
-dead pixels(6 units had them)
-overly loose hinge(4 units)
-debris under the screen(2 units)

I plan to order 3-4 n3dsxl once bestbuy/futureshop fix my account. I hope ill luck out with a decent unit but odds are not in the buyers favor and if I don't get one i'll give up. I cant bring myself to playing the quality lotto again.

What the fuck...

and I thought Huelen's iPad scandal was a nightmare.

unfortunately no. the only information you can get without opening the box is the firmware version. as a result I recommend buying from a place with a lax return policy.

finding a 3ds that has proper calibration, no dead pixels, super loose hinge or other defects is very rare. the quality control is awful.

Wow, this is a damn shame.

Is this common with other electronics manufacturers? Two different types of screens like this?

Is this common with other electronics manufacturers? Two different types of screens like this?

It's common with some gaming monitors. People will try to play the lottery and end up returning something if it isn't completely perfect. I understand wanting to get exactly what you paid for, but returning over 2 dozen units is insane.

Not saying people don't have legitimate complaints, but sometimes it feels like a little bit of a placebo effect.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Do you ever get dizzy from the amount of spin you put on every post?
There is no spin, this is a gratuitous post you made there. Most people seem happy with the new 3DS HW and screen. Reading this thread I can see some encountered issues, but my experience is I'm extremely pleased with the screen now, and when I read it's crappy I react with a different opinion. My opinion.

DJ_Lae

I'd better check the Majora's Mask edition I bought, then, I've left it closed as a friend was initially interested in it. Weirdly, the box itself was never sealed (there is no tape or sticker marks of any kind, it seems to have some from the factory like that?) so I can do that without voiding anything.

Nerrel

Yep. LG does it all the time with their HDTV sets; they even advertised some as having IPS panels when half of them shipped with VA instead. As long as no one notices, they make a lot of money that way.

In Nintendo's case, it may not be about greed as much as it may be about boosting production. They didn't release in NA and Europe last fall due to manufacturing limits, so maybe using two panels from two sources helps them raise their stock faster.

Top Bottom