• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New AMD CPU’s integrated graphics reportedly more powerful than PS5

Yes, of course, but we really shouldn’t be talking about “next gen”’gaming because consoles simply do not provide up to date hardware for such a thing to occur. That’s my argument.

Also, why is price such a big deal when talking about console vs. PC but it’s tossed aside when comparing console vs. console?

The xss pushed the price of gaming extremely low and it was crucified for it because it did so by using weaker hardware…

In fact, there were "next gen" compared to the previous one. They provide up to date hardware, for console. The error is to compare console vs PC, which is a little stupid due to the hardware "updates" that occur every one/two years, and the completly different price segment. In 2024, more than 3 years after the PS5/XsX launch, from pure gaming point of view, I don't think you can build a PC that is more powerfull than these hardwares for the lower/same price, which remains nice.

Senua

Gold Member
I watch his videos regularly
ryan reynolds hd GIF

nosseman

I cant understand why people have a hard time believing this could be possible.

AMD built the APU in the PS5 in 2019 based on Zen 2/RDNA 2 and the whole console (including storage, bluray etc) costed 500-600$.

Why shouldn't AMD be able to build a APU in 2024/2025 based on Zen 4 and RDNA 3/3,5/4 that has more power on both the CPU and GPU part?

The APU will probably cost 350-500$ (just for the APU) and then you need a motherboard, case, power supply, memory, ssd).

Why would an APU built in 2024 for $500 not beat a APU built in 2019 for $150-200?

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I don't think you can build a PC that is more powerfull than these hardwares for the lower/same price, which remains nice.
This again? Why should we be able to build a PC more powerful or even with the same power for lower/same price if the PC can run so much more programs/games, peripherals, mods, etc?

This again? Why should we be able to build a PC more powerful or even with the same power for lower/same price if the PC can run so much more programs/games, peripherals, mods, etc?

We are speaking about hardware cost... btw, why shouldn't we able ? The fact it can run "more programs/games, peripherals, mods" has nothing to do to with the hardware cost ?

FireFly

What I mean is how is 40 cu beefy if the XSX has 56?
The XSX GPU only runs at 1825 MHz. A 4nm version in a SFF PC is going to run at much higher clocks. Performance will depend on having enough memory bandwidth to feed it.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
We are speaking about hardware cost... btw, why shouldn't we able ? The fact it can run "more programs/games, peripherals, mods" has nothing to do to with the hardware cost ?
Afaik, console manufacturers have "discounts" on their mass purchases of chips from AMD plus they subside the final cost of the console.

The XSX GPU only runs at 1825 MHz. A 4nm version in a SFF PC is going to run at much higher clocks. Performance will depend on having enough memory bandwidth to feed it.
The article is talking about the "power" of the APU alone, not performance of the entire system.

Last edited:

Dorago

The idea that a APU core released in 2024 is faster than one released in 2019 is a no brainer. Will it be tied to a system that uses VRAM as system memory and a SSD soldered into the motherboard? That will decide if it is faster or not.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So sometime in 2025 we’re expected to be able to buy a mini pc on laptop than can play 1080/60 and we’re supposed to be excited?

You tell me that can do 4k/60 high settings and I’m more excited. But 1080p with compromises at retail bc costs naw… and I’d bet the ps5 still looks better and more effective as they have bare access to the gpu.

FireFly

The article is talking about the "power" of the APU alone, not performance of the entire system.
The "power" of the APU in real world appplications will depend on the amount of memory bandwidth it has, which in turn is dictated by the type of memory supported, and the size of its memory bus.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Horrible.

To think that this CPU is supposed to somehow deliver “next gen” gaming experiences all the way into 2026 and maybe even beyond is, well, rather ridiculous.
Yes, but also the OS is cut down to large degree, it has reworked sheduler and all these kings of things make is so that it isn't as slow as if it runs Win OS. Linus some time ago found board with Xbox One SoC and it basically was so slow it barely run the Win, yet on Xbox one you can game on it.

FireFly

In real world yes, on paper no.
The article said:

"AMD has seemingly just inadvertently confirmed the existence of a CPU that’s rumored to give you more gaming power than a PlayStation 5 without needing a graphics card."

That as far as I can see is a claim about real world, not paper performance. In any case it's hard to see why anyone should care about performance on paper at all. If performance cannot be extracted by users, what benefits does it bring?

Last edited:

twilo99

Yes, but also the OS is cut down to large degree, it has reworked sheduler and all these kings of things make is so that it isn't as slow as if it runs Win OS. Linus some time ago found board with Xbox One SoC and it basically was so slow it barely run the Win, yet on Xbox one you can game on it.

Sure, the xbox os is relatively light compared to its big daddy but it should be since it doesn't need to worry about supporting so much legacy code, etc. Still, the CPU sucks lol

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
The article said:

"AMD has seemingly just inadvertently confirmed the existence of a CPU that’s rumored to give you more gaming power than a PlayStation 5 without needing a graphics card."

That as far as I can see is a claim about real world, not paper performance. In any case its hard to see why anyone should care about performance on paper at all. If performance cannot be extracted by users, what benefits does it bring?
Because anyone with enough will and money can build a machine/console with this APU using good enough memory.

Bry0

No really. The RX 7800 GCD is 200mm square or a bit smaller than the current PS5 APU,if made made a 48/40 CU GPU, it would be a sub 200mm part minus MCMs.
I don’t understand your point tbh. Strix halo has 16 zen 5c cores according to the PowerPoints plus 40cu for graphics plus dedicated ml silicon in one die. That’s packing a lot of capability. AMD has nothing like that in laptops right now that you can buy that isn’t some obscure reject Xbox apu sold in China.

I’m comparing it to AMD’s other apus for PC. Because that’s what this is meant to be. Not a custom chip for a console. It’s a chip for ultrabooks with a strong processor and strong integrated graphics that are competitive with lower end dedicated laptop gpus.

edit: if it’s faster than a ps5 or not I don’t care. Nobody can know that until tested. Considering the max wattage for strix halo is probably 125 w or something like that it’s probably clocked lower and thus slower. I’m not really focused on the click bait claim in the article. Just that this would make for a great apu for fast thin ultrabooks.

Last edited:

FireFly

Because anyone with enough will and money can build a machine/console with this APU using good enough memory.
To come close to the the bandwith of 7600 you would need at least a 128-bit bus using GDDR6 memory or a 256-bit bus using LPDDR5. Well either the Strix Halo supports GDDR6 or it doesn't, or it has enough memory controllers for a 256-bit bus, or it doesn't. At least in the PC space DDR6 isn't a thing yet, and octo-channel is only supported on the Threadripper Pro platform.

If the Strix Halo is intended for a console of some kind, it makes sense that they would include the requisite memory interface, but that remains to be seen.

shamoomoo

I don’t understand your point tbh. Strix halo has 16 zen 5c cores according to the PowerPoints plus 40cu for graphics plus dedicated ml silicon in one die. That’s packing a lot of capability. AMD has nothing like that in laptops right now that you can buy that isn’t some obscure reject Xbox apu sold in China.

I’m comparing it to AMD’s other apus for PC. Because that’s what this is meant to be. Not a custom chip for a console. It’s a chip for ultrabooks with a strong processor and strong integrated graphics that are competitive with lower end dedicated laptop gpus.

edit: if it’s faster than a ps5 or not I don’t care. Nobody can know that until tested. Considering the max wattage for strix halo is probably 125 w or something like that it’s probably clocked lower and thus slower. I’m not really focused on the click bait claim in the article. Just that this would make for a great apu for fast thin ultrabooks.
I'm saying that the GPU portion of Halo strix is going to be relatively small, considering how small AMD's GPU portion of their current graphics card are.

Bry0

I'm saying that the GPU portion of Halo strix is going to be relatively small, considering how small AMD's GPU portion of their current graphics card are.
Yeah I agree I think it will be. sorry, I meant beefy in terms of performance not size. With 4nm and used the 5c (dense) cores they are certainly trying to fit everything into the smallest cost efficient package possible.

Sho_Gunn

Banned

AMD built the APU in the PS5 in 2019 based on Zen 2/RDNA 2 and the whole console (including storage, bluray etc) costed 500-600$.

Why shouldn't AMD be able to build a APU in 2024/2025 based on Zen 4 and RDNA 3/3,5/4 that has more power on both the CPU and GPU part?

The APU will probably cost 350-500$ (just for the APU) and then you need a motherboard, case, power supply, memory, ssd).

Why would an APU built in 2024 for $500 not beat a APU built in 2019 for $150-200?
I agree with you 100% most of the comments in here are confusing AF

Because a dedicated GPU simply becomes more viable once you reach those price segments. The lowest end of dedicated GPUs will match that overly expensive APU in need of ridiculous cooling and space.

It's not horrible at all. We went from absolute joke of Jaguar cores to Zen 2 cores which perform so much better in every regard. Current-gen consoles seem despite this "outdated" CPU be primarily bottlenecked by GPU regardless. Consoles really don't need super beefy CPUs cores. That's more a PC thing and when you aim for higher than 60 frames per second. If consoles were choked by their CPUs, we would see more games running at native 4K rather than upscaled from 1080p using some muddy FSR solution that DF will surely gush over.
Better over bad doesn’t mean good

Yes, consoles are stuck in the past from the moment they are born, which is why they can’t be responsible for the lead development of cutting edge gaming experiences in general, at least not in the current outdated paradigm.

How can you really push forward development when you are massively limited on the hardware side? Zen2 CPUs in 2026? Sad state of affairs.

Cerny could’ve at least put a zen3 core inside the ps5..
The biggest mistake of the ps5 was easily using zen 2 instead of 3

Exede

I’m saying your discussing the gpu which is the strongest part of the console and ignoring the cpu the worst part
Ahm yes but... its possible. I know that its the strongest part beside hd speed never the less its still possible

bbeach123

Its easy to beat the TF numbers , but in real world performance(game) its still very bad(average) .

The ps4 apu had GDDR5 memory soldered around the APU , just like GPU , physical shorter than the location of PC's memory slot to CPU.

THe ps4 had 176 GB/s memory bandwidth (from google so not sure if accurate)
For comparison GTX 1080 had 320GB/s memory bandwidth.

And now DDR5-6400 had 102GB/s dual channel, bit lower than gtx1050 112.1 GB/s , even the 6500xt had 143.9 GB/s .

Aw shit we're talking about the PS5 ?
The ps5 HAD 448GB/s .

No matter how many gpu core(CU) AMD throw into the apu , its gonna be bottleneck by the memory bandwidth .

3NpAR4e.png

Looking at this picture you would think the z1 extreme atleast 3 time faster than Z1 , but in reality , its only 30-50% faster .
So unless they soldered GDDR6 to the board, or we start using DDR6(or even DDR7) , no I dont think apu can ever get to the ps5 level (with DDR5 atleast) .

Last edited:

Loxus

Despite it being from MLiD.
Why can't this be more powerful than the PS5?
vAh3CF3.jpg

16 Zen5 cores and 40 CU RDNA3.5 chiplet APU surly should be more powerful than the 8 Zen2 cores and 36 CU RDNA2 PS5.

Xyphie

I'd expect around RX 7600 perf or so, wider but lower clock to fit inside 55-75W TDP for laptops. Assuming fastest LPDDR5X-8533 you have 273GB/s bandwidth + 32MB, which is pretty comparable.

At the end of the day I don't see this product getting much traction, the only use case is really SFF/laptop designs and the regular Strix Point paired with a RTX 5060 will make a better, cheaper and more power efficient laptop.

Bojji

Despite it being from MLiD.
Why can't this be more powerful than the PS5?
vAh3CF3.jpg

16 Zen5 cores and 40 CU RDNA3.5 chiplet APU surly should be more powerful than the 8 Zen2 cores and 36 CU RDNA2 PS5.

It can't because of memory bandwidth, it was explained many times in this thread. But It will have MUCH better cpu, that's for sure.

Would be about damn time to finally release APUs that have somewhat beefy GPUs. Pushing more than 15W or whatever Vega did. Dialing down the CPU a bit and allowing the GPU a bit more power would make it much better balanced, within the 65W 95W brackets or above.
APUs so far never had a good balance at all. The CPU portion being the regular CPU but having a heavily cut GPU attached, offering only a very limited performance. Only clearly better compared to Intel HD iGPUs but worse than GPUs several gens back.
We have yet to see a proper GTX1650 successor, so anyone with a supertight budget or desire to use a SFF-PC for some reason, can only either choose between semiterrible APUs or "ancient" SFF GPUs or insanely priced Pro actually not really for gaming cards now. Having better balanced APUs should finally allow for some interesting more console like fps value and inscreased image+effects quality. So close the huge gap between current APUs and 4060 "entry" level cards.

DaGwaphics

Let's be real, a rx7600 beats the PS5 with like for like settings most of the time. I don't know why this would be triggering for people.

For reference here is a 4060 (same class of card as 7600) matching/beating the PS5 at equivalent settings. With the bandwidth reduction the APU won't do as well, but it also won't be as far off as people are thinking.

Last edited:

WitchHunter

Banned
Do people not realize that PS5 also has an APU, and therefore technically uses an integrated GPU? Regardless, it's always about power consumption. 40 Compute Units is massive and will be a power hog and will require good amount of cooling too. So absolutely not fitting for Mini PCs as the article claims.
Airjet to the rescue (hopefully).

Bojji

Let's be real, a rx7600 beats the PS5 with like for like settings most of the time. I don't know why this would be triggering for people.

For reference here is a 4060 (same class of card as 7600) matching/beating the PS5 at equivalent settings. With the bandwidth reduction the APU won't do as well, but it also won't be as far off as people are thinking.

In theory 7600 is close to PS5 GPU in power but it has 288.0 GB/s BW vs. 448 on PS5. 4060 has even less so it looks like Remedy incompetence here.

PC version can run just like on console hardware or better or worse depending on how good optimization is on console version AND pc version. TLOU1 requires much more powerful GPU to match PS5 version in performance when usually 2070S is not far off in raw power (now we can assume that PS5 is more like 2080 in raw raster power after 3+ years of testing):

b0Mbeby.jpg

DaGwaphics

In theory 7600 is close to PS5 GPU in power but it has 288.0 GB/s BW vs. 448 on PS5. 4060 has even less so it looks like Remedy incompetence here.

PC version can run just like on console hardware or better or worse depending on how good optimization is on console version AND pc version. TLOU1 requires much more powerful GPU to match PS5 version in performance when usually 2070S is not far off in raw power (now we can assume that PS5 is more like 2080 in raw raster power after 3+ years of testing):

b0Mbeby.jpg

You can't look at the console bandwidth like that, however. Just because in most cases, every cycle that the CPU accesses the memory pool the GPU has to wait that cycle out. Or the bus gets split.

Bojji

You can't look at the console bandwidth like that, however. Just because in most cases, every cycle that the CPU accesses the memory pool the GPU has to wait that cycle out. Or the bus gets split.

Bus probably is split most of the time but:

Zen 2 can access something like that on PC, not much more and this is good speed DDR4.

lPC5cnn.jpg

You still have over 400GB/s left for GPU.

DaGwaphics

Bus probably is split most of the time but:

Zen 2 can access something like that on PC, not much more and this is good speed DDR4.

lPC5cnn.jpg

You still have over 400GB/s left for GPU.

It doesn't split like that. If two processors are accessing the memory pool at the same time the memory controllers split. The max to the gpu at that point is half the rated bandwidth. I doubt they go that route very often, better to give the controller to the CPU and eat those cycles in order to access the full capabilities of the memory when it could be accessed.

Sethbacca

Honestly, if it can give me a couple times the performance of my current 4770k/1070 setup with some RDNA 3/4 features this is what I've been waiting for. I don't really do much PC gaming these days but would like something to mess around with on occasion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom