• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bloodborne gameplay trailer

Dante316

Yeah, there's no way, that'd be insane. The Order, Bloodborne, Evolve, The Witcher 3 and Dying Light all in February? That's a better lineup than any month this year.

I remember seeing march 31st release on psn before it changed to coming soon.

GavinUK86

It's definitely got style.
14710037318_1be31aa0e9_o.jpg
14709960730_02bbfcf987_o.jpg
14710037648_33781ed4e1_o.jpg

The Goat

Other than looking a bit choppy (animation-wise) looks pretty decent. Didn't really show off much more than we've already seen.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Yikes, looks like it desperately needs some anti-aliasing. Other than that, it looks phenomenal.
This is one game where I couldn't care less if there's aliasing or low-res textures or not enough AO or whatnot. The art direction is just too good for me to care.

Also, is it just me or is there a new type of dodge? The classic roll is back (seen at 1:08), but I saw a sort of quick sidestep at 1:03 too. That could really be awesome; a dodge that's not quite as efficient as, say, rolling completely, but perhaps one that consumes less stamina and therefore can be spammed a bit more to remain mobile during the intense and aggressive combat...?

I need this game. NAO

So am I right in that RPG elements seem heavily stripped?

Didn't see any damage numbers pop up (might be because zooming in?)

Also weapon / armor options seem quite limited at this point from what we've been shown.

Croyles

Also weapon / armor options seem quite limited at this point from what we've been shown.

I think you didn't see any damage numbers and such pop up because the gameplay was hudless for the sake of the presentation.

But you might be on to something about the weapon/armor stuff. Looks like way too much time was put into the design of the cloak and weapon to be ditched after 30 minutes of play time. I get the feeling that there will be an upgrade system instead but that the design will stay the same, with maybe a few variations.

Honestly something I could live with. MOST of the armour in Dark Souls looked a little silly tbh :p

Not sure about having the same weapon throughout the whole game though. On a technical level it could be just as awesome/even better if there is some sort of great upgrade mechanic, but might get a little boring just seeing the same design.

All speculation of course.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

There was no HUD either. This is early footage and probably customized to look better for a trailer.

And pretty much every trailer for the Souls games showed the same standard knight in fluted/elite/Faraam set, yet we have Fashion Souls after all. I wouldn't worry about it.

MADGAME

We saw a new weapon type: Curved sword whose "unfolded" mode is a bigass reaper scythe.

There was definitely some new gear here, like a tricorne hat vs. the "winged" one on the cover art and most previous footage.

My question was more related to how much diversity we will see with weapons/armor/customization, as opposed to verifying the one new weapon and hat we saw. I'm curious of the depth of customization and how robust the weapon arsenal will be.

Hollow

The HUD was turned off and they always demo these games with a general set of armor.

They clearly haven't fully implemented the HUD yet, I wouldn't worry.

And they've said there would be quite a few armor and weapon choices - less weapons than past games but they'd be more fleshed out with the transformation mechanic.

Croyles

The H.U.D.-less gameplay does look pretty nifty though, especially with a game as atmospheric as this.

How dare you 1-up me with the correct wording of H.U.D. I'm just LAZY!

:p

Yeah it looked sweet. Wouldn't mind if the H.U.D was stripped even more than in Dark Souls tbh. Damage numbers are fine, but make the equipment hud really small/more transparent.

I know you can turn it off in Dark Souls. I actually want it there to help me, just in a very minimal style.

I'm sure the gameplay will be awesome, but I just wanted to note how amazing the architecture in this game is..like really, really amazing. It's beautifully creepy and foreboding.

Sotha_Sil

Not really a fan of the art direction, but there's no way I can resist a Souls spiritual successor. I love the inclusion of guns, and the enemies look great. Day one buy.

There was no HUD either. This is early footage and probably customized to look better for a trailer.

And pretty much every trailer for the Souls games showed the same standard knight in fluted/elite/Faraam set, yet we have Fashion Souls after all. I wouldn't worry about it.

Okay I see.

I kinda figured it might be a conscious effort to move further towards character action to differentiate it from Dark Souls.

Croyles

From Software has the best art direction of the industry.

This looks incredible, diminishing returns my ass.

Diminishing returns exists on the technical side for everything.

But like you sort of alluded to, art direction/cinematography/photographic framing etc is all way more important. Doesn't hurt that the actual technical side of this game seems to look pretty damn sweet, 30fps aside.

Vidpixel

You can already turn off the hud for the Souls games, though.

I know, but making the default H.U.D. a bit more minimal certainly wouldn't hurt.

How dare you 1-up me with the correct wording of H.U.D. I'm just LAZY!

:p

Yeah it looked sweet. Wouldn't mind if the H.U.D was stripped even more than in Dark Souls tbh. Damage numbers are fine, but make the equipment hud really small/more transparent.

I know you can turn it off in Dark Souls. I actually want it there to help me, just in a very minimal style.

Haha, yeah I completely agree. It's just that I found the default H.U.D. in Dark Souls to be a bit too overblown. I feel like they could work on making it a little more minimal without detracting too heavily from providing the player with information they need to know.

Nyoro SF

Having no damage indicator for enemies would be pretty sweet and up the tension. The way you could tell is of course by enemies having a special idle animation for how much damage they've taken so far.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Why was Groot all aggro a the end? Looks great.

Bloodborne really seems to be an answer to most of my hopes on how to improve the souls games, or at least they haven't yet shown all the things I hated in the previous games. I'm afraid though they'll be there just as surely as that ladder climbing sound. It'd be ok for a couple of things, but From seems to like to recycle half the things from their old games. Can't wait to play the gothic setting with yet another katana that transforms into a washing pole...

I really hope it'll be at least a solid 30 this time. Even dks2 on ps3 was horrible at times. The game doesn't look particularly impressive in terms of graphics, so one could expect it to be 60 fps, as long as it were any other developer.

Game of GamesCom so far. Holy shit. Seems to be even more up my ally than Souls. From just knows how to create a compelling and unique world.

Atmosphere and creatures look absolutely fucking amazing. Not sure about the gameplay but I'll trust all the praise for the Souls games and reconfirm a day one purchase.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I like the look of this, like an extreme (not 90s extreme) exaggerated grimdark Souls game, certainly refreshing after Dark Souls 2, which was a bit too bright (not talking about the lighting engine either, just a bit too colourful)

You have to admit, it is a darn good ladder climbing sound.

I'm sure aspects like this are still being finalized.

I doubt it. It's charming in a way, I'm pretty sure some sounds and animations have been reused since DeS up to DS2. It reminds me of how Quintet games on the SNES had a lot of reused sound effects

Grisby

Looking good. Feels like a Brotherhood of the Wolf deal, with more darker fantasy stuff of course.

That scythe was bad ass.

Top Bottom