• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bloodstained screenshots show significant graphical update, devs ask for feedback

Miker

I'm very happy to eat some crow over how good these shaders look. I'm still not keen on Miriam's design, but Inti Creates is definitely on the right track, especially after the feedback from Mighty No. 9.

Beth Cyra

Lol given the response it seems like Shader 3 will easily takes this.

Sad as I hate the heavier lines but still could be worse i suppose

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While character style 3 is going to win in a landslide (and it does look nice), I just wanted to mention that I think character style 1 also looks quite good and I definitely would not have had a problem if that was the style they ended up with.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Shit looking good. I wonder if we can choose the shader once the game comes out.

I don't believe so. The assets need to be authored to the shaders, hence the poll.

The backgrounds are largely lighting so that's probably more variable, but I suspect they don't have the resources to build it twice for each room.

Gbraga

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS LOOKS INCREDIBLE

OH MY GOD

FUUUUCK

HOW?????

=OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fuuuuuck.

I think I prefer CS3 and BS1, but whatever wins, I'm happy. So pretty TT__TT

Unbelievable...jsphjsfdpjphdofjhdopj

I don't believe so. The assets need to be authored to the shaders, hence the poll.

The backgrounds are largely lighting so that's probably more variable, but I suspect they don't have the resources to build it twice for each room.

I dunno, I imagine a good portion of the artwork has to be done with the shader in mind.

Aww, well I told them that I'm interested in seeing monsters next.

While character style 3 is going to win in a landslide (and it does look nice), I just wanted to mention that I think character style 1 also looks quite good and I definitely would not have had a problem if that was the style they ended up with.

Agreed. 1 would be perfectly fine in a vacuum.

I'm hoping for background style 1, though. We don't need a high-contrast background fighting for attention with the character.

And, seriously, the update is beyond my wildest expectations.

JoBo4

Neo Member
Character 3 is great, but wasn't that the same style as Portrait of Ruin/Dawn of Sorrow that everybody hated? I loved those, but whatever.

Character 3 has such a nice rosey tinted glow to everything. Idk if it's just that scene or the overall feel. Either way it's better, IMO. I feel like the heavy shaded outlines make the game look better and help her stand the test of time.

Backgrounds are harder, can't go wrong either way.

It's crazy how such small changes can affect the feel/tone of the entire game. Very tough decision.

BG3's lighting looks too widely spread. Reminds me of dungeons in bethesda games just having random light sources everywhere.

here's where you vote: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1skx7k6z_hJPrisavkclZCr49bUyOdlK-STHjLITv0FU/viewform

Nirolak, can you put that link in the OP?

I went with 3/3. The background, I don't care which one they pick, but they NEED to use character shader 3.

Also, everyone ask to see enemy designs next on the survey (they haven't shown any, right?)
Note that the poll presumably uses "Background / Character" as the order, so "1 / 3" would be character shader 3, background 1.

since that's the order on the KS page.

Ansatz

Option 3 matches frenetic and fast-paced gameplay with stylized animation best, just like how Igavanias are designed. The first option reminds me of a slower, more atmospheric style game like Mirror of Fate which I don't like at all.

JackelZXA

I really like the added detail the character has in closeup shots with shader 3. It makes her look more like the actual artwork. Backgrounds I could go either way, I like both. From a distance I have less preference on the character and feel maybe 1 works better when she's small. Game really looks visually great. Really hope this one goes smoothly and I'm gonna bet it probably won't run into any controversy before release.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Don't really like solutions like this being crowdsourced or polled. Background style 3 mutes colors in certain areas and pops too much in others. The most egregious section on the screenshot for this is where the blood runs up against the pillars on the right. I think it's easy for people to have a positive response to the stylized shading of character style 3 and think it fits the background as well.

Giever

Only one that looks good to me is 1/1. Outlined character design looks fine up close, but real bad in the regular gameplay view. And lighting/background 1 looks warmer and less weirdly stark.

Locuza

Char 3, it blends so much depth and details into her, it's shocking.
Char 1 looks like a doll.

But Jesus the backgrounds are awful with Char 3.
Without Black-Lines around the objects the character looks like an foreign object.

Gbraga

Option 3 matches frenetic and fast-paced gameplay with stylized animation best, just like how Igavanias are designed. The first option reminds me of a slower, more atmospheric style game like Mirror of Fate which I don't like at all.

Agreed. It'll also probably age a lot faster than style 3.

NotLiquid

Just noticed that Character Style 3 has some water color effects on it. It's an incredibly subtle touch but I love it. Has some real personal flavor to it.

I vote for 1/1.
The other backgrounds make the lighting/shadow not natural.

Character style 3 looks nice on close up, but on actual gameplay it looks kinda off, doesn't blend nicely with the background.

I agree. 1 looks great, it's just that 3 looks better. The shading on 3 helps show the details of her character more and also helps her stand out from the background as well.

Note that the poll presumably uses "Background / Character" as the order, so "1 / 3" would be character shader 3, background 1.

since that's the order on the KS page.

Didn't even realize that. Doesn't matter for my vote since I went 3/3, but do they clarify that on the survey? If not, they really should. I can't go back and check since I already voted.

STG!

Was thinking 1/1 but I went with 1/3. Honestly I wouldn't mind any of the choices, and I like the addition of the ribbons too!

Want to see some fighting with enemies next!

Top Bottom