• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bloodstained screenshots show significant graphical update, devs ask for feedback

tav7623

Atm I'm kinda torn between Character 1/Background 3 and Character 3/Background 1, I like the cel shaded look but none of the backgrounds are (as far as I can tell) done in the same style (cel shaded) so the cel shaded look for the character (to me at least) really sticks out like a sore thumb.

Astral Dog

Character 1 just looks, incomplete imo like the model is pure polygons and shows its flaws, cel shaded looks more advanced and goes with the art style a bit more.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Atm I'm kinda torn between Character 1/Background 3 and Character 3/Background 1, I like the cel shaded look but none of the backgrounds are (as far as I can tell) done in the same style (cel shaded) so the cel shaded look for the character (to me at least) really sticks out like a sore thumb.

I personally think that the contrast works to its benefit. She's so vibrant in Character 3.

Gbraga

They can make the backgrounds fit better during development, but they can't make Miriam look more like CS3 if CS1 wins, think about it TT_TT

Character style 3 looks like a warpsharp filter and a heavy DVNR algorithm copulated and that was the result. Gaudy as fuck.
Character style 1 has actual texture detail, lovely subdued tones, and doesn't hide behind a mountain of ugly filters.

Character style 3 looks like a warpsharp filter and a heavy DVNR algorithm copulated and that was the result. Gaudy as fuck.
Character style 1 has actual texture detail, lovely subdued tones, and doesn't hide behind a mountain of ugly filters.

And character style 1 looks better on actual gameplay.
rkuKDLi.png

Btujp9E.png
Style 3 is missing shadow, which is quite jarring for me. Perhaps it's due to the filters?

JoBo4

Neo Member
character 3 is too good. It makes everything else look bland. I'll side with 3/3, but if they went with Character 1, they should go with background 3.

Maybe they need to give a think outline to aeverything else.

Also this seems pretty 3D looking. I thouhgt they were going to make it fake 2D? NOt that it's a problem, just curious.

Sesha

I'm torn. I like background style 1 best, because I like the warmer colors, but I like the shadows and lighting of background style 3.

The colors on character style 3 is a bit too extreme, but I think overall character style 3 is the better direction. But it looks best with background style 3.

Overall, 1/1 from afar looks more like a flat 2D image, while 3/3, despite character 3, is very sharp and looks more 3D from afar. So basically 1/1 looks best together and likewise 3/3. Furthermore, background 1 highlights things on the right side of the image more, making the platforms pop out and be more visible, whilst background shader 3 makes objects on the left side more pronounced.

I'd like to see some sort of compromise or mix between both styles for both. Maybe closer to background 1 and character 3.

Locuza

100% agree.
But after comparing Char 1 and Char 3, you can't go with Char 1.

I hope Character 3 is elected and the developers instantly realize how unfitting the backgrounds are and improve them.
Also the character-lightning needs work with Character 3.
It looks too bright in the environment.

Joqu

Looking great. 3/3 is the way to go IMO. I really don't like the mixed and matched ones and I really love the look of shader 3, especially on the character model.

Terrell

OK, I'm kinda excited for this now that I know it will look pretty close to its concept art shots. 3 and 3, definitely.

Crocodile

If you vote for anything but character style 3 you are wrong.

old-spice-guy-head-nod.gif

You-are-wrong-gif.gif

The ribbons were a good idea. All good Metroidvanias need a flowing clothing attachment to give them a sense of movement

tumblr_inline_ndgp75ZhRv1r8z4qq.gif

tumblr_inline_nc6x813VH31r8z4qq.gif

When you put like this yeah that change makes a lot of sense.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS LOOKS INCREDIBLE

OH MY GOD

FUUUUCK

HOW?????

=OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fuuuuuck.

I think I prefer CS3 and BS1, but whatever wins, I'm happy. So pretty TT__TT

Unbelievable...jsphjsfdpjphdofjhdopj

LOL

shes doing a Jojo pose too

Good so its not just me <3

Needs some sound text on the image :p

Oublieux

I actually prefer Shader #3 for the up close screenshots of the protagonist but Shader #1 for the full, side scrolling viewpoint screenshots. Shader #3 makes the protagonist seem somewhat washed out in the full view whereas Shader #1 blends in more naturally in comparison.

Considering we are likely playing the game in the full, side scrolling viewpoint the majority of the time, I lean towards Shader #1.

Character style 1 looks much better in gameplay but style 3 much better close-up.

Damn it. All the backgrounds look good though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I think Background 1 is warmer and creates a nicer contrast between playable character and the background. It doesn't really clash to me.

Joqu

Also, I personally really toon shaded models on detailed backgrounds. That's what they often do it in animated stuff, it's not that weird.

Gbraga

I'm torn. I like background style 1 best, because I like the warmer colors, but I like the shadows and lighting of background style 3.

The colors on character style 3 is a bit too extreme, but I think overall character style 3 is the better direction. But it looks best with background style 3.

I'd like to see some sort of compromise or mix between both styles for both. Closer to background 1 and character 3.

You can give more detailed feedback in the survey, choose 1/3 and talk about the specific points of the other shaders you'd like to see implemented in the one you chose!

It wasn't the binary shader vote that lead them to the amazing looking shader 3, after all. It was the more thorough optional feedback.

Dio

Banned
I'm really happy seeing how much better this looks now. The environment in this shot looks 100 times better than the one we saw before.

Sesha

You can give more detailed feedback in the survey, choose 1/3 and talk about the specific points of the other shaders you'd like to see implemented in the one you chose!

It wasn't the binary shader vote that lead them to the amazing looking shader 3, after all. It was the more thorough optional feedback.

Yeah, I considered that. It's good of you to mention it. I'll have to detail and phrase my feedback carefully.

It's crazy how much better the shader #1 looks compared to the other in the actual gameplay screenshot.

Indeed.
People should focus on the gameplay screens, not the close up ones. We're going to see her in the actual gameplay most of the time, right?

Okay, this looks ilke a helluva LARGE improvement from the last update. And dammit, that cel-shaded Character type 3.... sooooo good! Background types, I don't mind. Type 3 is the one that's more rosier, right? It's not as much of a stark contrast compared to the previous update, and as of right now, either background types will do.

Top Bottom