• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New cartridge based non-emulated "Retro" console being kickstarted!

goldenpp72

Cmon, if youre truly passionate about something like this, what the hell is an extra $200? People like to get so indignant about such a small thing when its probably the difference of hundreds of thousands of dollars on the production end from a small inexperienced creator doing something purely out of obsession. The idea is great, and if its supported by the industry with great games and creative ports, it could be something really special. And saying it should just be on Android or something is unfair and missing the point.

I think, unless the guys making it are assholes we ahould be excited someone is at least trying something as crazy as this, and we should understand theyre not a Company with endless pockets.

If this was just an emulation box, they would have got ripped apart amfrom the start.

Well, how strong is this thing expected to be versus say, an Xbox one or PS4? Or even a Wii U? When people are thinking quirky retro console they are expecting to pay a lesser price than something that is the height of consoles (so, 400 currently). Obviously there is a bit of a difference here, but really, if the price isn't right and it doesn't offer anything unique, then it's just useless.

Vamphuntr

With a 300-400$ price tag buyers will expect good support from developers and lot of features (great OS and apps, online features, etc). I don't think they'll be able to deliver this considering the size of the team and the games announced so far. Most of the games announced for now can be gotten on steam or other platforms and the only advantage this console seems to have is the cartridges.

I got gifted a Retron 5 which was close to 200$ once upon a time and I thought it was fairly expensive for what it was (emu box and with stolen code to boot) but at least it booted your whole library of SNES/NES/GBA/Genesis games.

I know it's targeted at a niche market and since it's not mass produced the price tag will be higher but it will be very hard to attract big games with a small userbase. Devs will probably think it's not worth the time and effort.

Gruso

I'm really feeling both sides here. It's hard to ask people to pay big sums for a niche retro device. But it's also very hard to make a niche device and make it cheap. The big players have massive capital, and massive sway with wholesalers and manufacturers. And they can loss-lead. The little guys are stuck in the little guy pen, putting all their R&D costs onto a small customer base, unable to climb the ladder into the big scale production (and retail pricing) that people expect... unless someone comes along with a ten or hundred million leg-up.

The Pandora was hundreds of Euros for a device less powerful than a smartphone. I followed it all the way (I still own two) and saw all of the struggles play out. The Pyra will be in the same price range. I've bought a MSSIAH MIDI adapter for my C64 - nothing more than a PCB & MIDI port in a cartridge shell - and it cost over $100. An SD card adapter too - same deal, same price range. Economies of scale. The thought of the RVGC coming in at $200 or less seems like an unreasonable expectation sadly.

But I think people should stop tearing these guys a new one. Don't judge their pricing against that of multi-billion dollar companies. Make yourself heard, but give them a chance to react and change course.

And don't doubt what dedicated retro gamers are willing to pay for the right product (look at the XRGB).

I can't believe that actually exists. Have actually thought of a similar idea in the past myself, but didn't think it'd ever be a reality. Might need to check this out.

That's pretty much it, and this thread, in a nutshell---by 2015, as many of us would've not reckoned in the past ~20 years...the well of crazy things working to fray the edges of known reality coming from the small labs/workshops/garages/etc wouldn't have gone so dry that the likes of RETRO VGS and Ming Mecca would actually pretty much be the entirety of their sum, and so incredulous, for the better part now of said years. This would be like if the Demoscene just outright stopped cold back in the day and even Hugi hung it up on the Diskmags---one can't even fathom what would've then be lost.

It gets even better that each machine is really only just scratching the surface of what is probably possible given what can be springboarded from in terms of FPGA on the one hand and freaking Voltage itself on the other. 2015 and yet only just scratching at that damnable surface!

Agreed that they need some serious demonstrative sizzle---like Demoscene sizzle...hell, I don't even know if there's ever been a proper Demoscene staging of/on a FPGA before but they should definitely try to attend or submit in absentia to any immediately forthcoming compos to establish something of a grippingly creative benchmark to get people wowed and thinking especially when it comes to the down to the metal folks at pouet and elsewhere in general. Still also say there's value in pursuit of that long-term storage medium when it comes to enticing the music crowd---even vinyl doesn't last anywhere near that long on top of the degradation.

There is at least money outright in the crowds they are hoping to reach---probably more and more attainable money than, say, them instead approaching Trevor at A-Eon about incorporating their FPGA advances into the upcoming Amiga X-5000 as it isn't like MS/Apple/Sony/Nintendo/Google/etc are primed to give them the light of day as they are fully bought in to the status quo of mainline hardware development being the only line of hardware development.

Wereroku

Lest we forget.
But Yeah, who cares about $200 if it makes the console a better, longer term prospect? I think its a small price to pay to attract the future Shovel Knight equivilent games to the console. Im assuming to that this machine will have a long life as it wont be playing the features and power game. And I should clarify im in Australia re: launch prices.
For me it's not even the price of the console it's the fact that the games will be dead after 20 years.

Well, how strong is this thing expected to be versus say, an Xbox one or PS4? Or even a Wii U? When people are thinking quirky retro console they are expecting to pay a lesser price than something that is the height of consoles (so, 400 currently). Obviously there is a bit of a difference here, but really, if the price isn't right and it doesn't offer anything unique, then it's just useless.

Well you're not paying for flexibility or power, but a unique experience. Depends on what you value.

Ouch $300? Well best of luck to them but I couldn't see myself spending more than $150 on this. I'm willing to bet most people are in the same ballpark.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Let's stop beating around the bush. Mike pretty much
said it's going to be $399 with the FPGA tech.

As others have said, they really need to show us
what the system can produce at this point for that
price.

Either way, while I will probably end up backing
the system, I highly doubt a $400 price tag and
$2.5 million goal will be successful.

For that price, they better show some high powered
side scrollers and shumps with tons of graphics
effects ala NeoGeo on steroids.

Tiny Knight and Tower of Flight aint gonna sell the
system.

Ranger X

Its an entire question of "is your generation of gamers retro gaming love as strong as 400$".
Honestly, am not sure selling something SNES-like today could possibly cost that much. And while I freaking love retro games (and making one myself) I simply can't imagine put the same amount of money I did on a freaking PS4. While this might find its logic somewhere, it simply doesn't pass the psychologic test.

You obviously don't know much about Kickstarters. Did you know, many projects you don't have the end product as a pledge reward at all? A Kickstarter is *not* a preorder, you are not purchasing anything when you pledge, and the cost of the extra Merch stuff from pledging higher is in no way worth the money you are spending. Example, most Kickstarters offering t-shirt rewards don't offer them for less than a $100 pledge. And you don't even have to choose a reward if you don't want to, and they almost always offer pledge levels below the cost of the end product, where you don't get the end product. And you can pledge more than the reward level you choose, too, to kick in some extra money.

The entire point of a Kickstarter is to give enough money to a creative person or group so they have the ability to bring their product to market, so you can then have the ability to get one. If you are using it expecting to always get good deals, you are doing it wrong.

I'm sorry, but there is no "right" way to support a Kickstarter. People back Kickstarter projects for various reasons. Some people consider it a donation to support something they would like to see exist. Others consider it a form of preorder. Most larger campaigns only fund because of a good mix of both kinds of backers, as well as tons of backers who may have other motives that are a blend of these things or maybe even none of these things.

This campaign sounds like it will be structured as a large preorder effort, just like the previous Retro magazine campaign was. Sure, some people may make a donation to just support the project, but like most hardware campaigns, the majority of backers will probably be contributing to a tier that should result in them obtaining the hardware and maybe some games. There is nothing wrong with that and it's not your place to tell people how they should or shouldn't spend their money whether that's through Kickstarter or anywhere else.

A tweet from them an hour later:
Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision, NES ?????????????????????????

Maybe compatible emulator cores? Meh. Whatever they show I hope it's something you can't get on anything else, but I'm not holding my breath.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
That's a really good guess. I was thinking they
were alluding to the naming of the system. I
suggested "Retrovision".

I hope they have some major surprises in store
for the Kickstarter.

Vorg

Banned
I really want to see how they're going to get a big enough userbase to make the thing worthwhile for developers with that price tag. Considering dev costs, cart manufacturing costs and licencing. It's just an insane proposition.

s_mirage

And don't doubt what dedicated retro gamers are willing to pay for the right product (look at the XRGB).

Retro gamers may be willing to drop significant chunks of cash on old systems and rare/classic games, but there's nothing retro about this system other than plugging in a cart. It's modern hardware that runs normally cheap indie games. That drastically limits its appeal, especially if the price point is ridiculous.

emb

This is a big concern. FPGA sounds like an incredible type of technology. The way it's sold makes it sound like a miracle product. It's a chip that can become anything you want it to be. But can it make a better game? What are the low-end models actually capable of? From what I can tell, they're really only used to emulate Amiga, so not all that powerful. Saying it'll behave like a Super FX chip isn't comforting but that might just be a bad analogy.

If they're considering FPGA-less versions now, how about this: make them all FPGA-less and make the FPGA a stackable cart like the Game Genie. Did I retro correctly there?
Don't know if technologically feasible, but this sounds like a great idea.

Let's stop beating around the bush. Mike pretty much
said it's going to be $399 with the FPGA tech.

Tiny Knight and Tower of Flight aint gonna sell the system.
This is my issue with the system. I want to back the RVGS and Mike with his vision (I also backed RETRO magazine, and was impressed with the quality).

$399 for a console. A powerful console. I have no problem with this but the games have to justify the price. Tiny Knight and other indie Steam ports won't sell this. We need something substantial. I'm not expecting something as impressive as say Final Fantasy VII at launch, but for $399 I don't feel like software of that caliber should be out of the equation.

I don't know that I'm interested in this without the (presumably large) FPGA. That's entirely what makes this project interesting. Without that you might as well just sell another Ouya.

It doesn't look like they're planning to back off the high price.

vgs_face.jpg

vgs_face2.jpg

Curious what surprise they think will make hitting the $2.5-$3 million goal a "slam dunk".

maxiell

From what they were putting together $300+ was a given. If you want a niche product, it is going to cost more. Surprised at people thinking it would be priced like an older console from a major manufacturer. The price seems in line with what new consoles are going for today.

From what they were putting together $300+ was a given. If you want a niche product, it is going to cost more. Surprised at people thinking it would be priced like an older console from a major manufacturer. The price seems in line with what new consoles are going for today.

It was just quoted on the last page where they said they were targeting $150. So, $300+ was absolutely not a given. At some point this thing doubled in price, at least.

This is my issue with the system. I want to back the RVGS and Mike with his vision (I also backed RETRO magazine, and was impressed with the quality).

$399 for a console. A powerful console. I have no problem with this but the games have to justify the price. Tiny Knight and other indie Steam ports won't sell this. We need something substantial. I'm not expecting something as impressive as say Final Fantasy VII at launch, but for $399 I don't feel like software of that caliber should be out of the equation.

They should at least be looking into getting ports of some of the more technically impressive indies out there. STASIS, for example, or maybe stuff like Volgorr. Maybe even see if they can bring back some of the abandoned flash games that were legit good, like Makibishi Comic, and spruce them up to take advantage of the hardware in some way.

Basically the system needs stuff from a technical perspective that demonstrates its power (I thought Tower of Flight was a decent start in that regard with the background scrolling and 3D effects. Probably the closest to a Super FX/AES/32 X kind of enhanced game they've showed so far), and experiences that can't be easily had anywhere else (yeah PC, but can't do much about that).

They have to convince people why it's worth $400 and that's only gonna come from letting people try the system out for themselves, and showing in-depth tech demos and builds of actual projects in development running on the retail hardware. And of course, more about the ecosystem of the product (system features, online features, etc).

Hopefully very soon.

Leynos

I don't care if the thing is powerful as we already have that covered with the big boys. I just want a system to play classic-styled games on cartridge, but $400 for a very niche system from a tiny team with very little funds that has yet to show enough support from game developers is too much of a leap of faith for me. It's a nice dream, and one that I supported when the price was more reasonable, but I am out unless Mike can prove to me that this will be a success, and won't go the way of virtually every other boutique hardware maker that has been.

Edit: another nail in the coffin is the likelihood that the media that the games ship on will have a very short lifespan (~20 years.) There are games out there from the mid '70s that still work just fine. Part of the whole point of physical media is long-term preservation, at least what I consider consider long-term.

Kawika

If they're considering FPGA-less versions now, how about this: make them all FPGA-less and make the FPGA a stackable cart like the Game Genie. Did I retro correctly there?

This is actually a brilliant idea. I think someone else mentioned it too. I think this might be the compromise worth doing. Keeping the base cost low, helping people get into the system and adding the legs it needs to continue to be a product worth keeping around.

I really hope Mike sees the feedback he is getting with the price point and looks at possible doing this as an option. I am still miffed about the 20 year memory though. I really can't see myself buying a "permanent copy of a game" that isn't permanent.

It was just quoted on the last page where they said they were targetting $150. So, $300+ was absolutely not a given. At some point this thing doubled in price, at least.

Yep, and the audience that was following this thing is right to be upset about it. Remember- the whole genesis of this console was the fact that they were making smart decisions to keep costs down, starting with the Jaguar molds that "saved hundreds of thousands of dollars" in manufacturing costs. Now I'm starting to doubt the line that the molds paid for themselves after selling clear cases to the Jaguar collector community.

Curious what surprise they think will make hitting the $2.5-$3 million goal a "slam dunk".

I predict that rather than lower the cost of the console, they're going to lower the Kickstarter goal. I think they expected to see some people turn away after they heard the estimated price, but they didn't expect to see it in droves and cause this big of a shit storm. Rather than try to reclaim those potential backers they lost, they'll try to work on those who are still on board. Instead of a $3 million goal for a $400 console with 7,000 backers, it'll now be a $400,000 goal for a $400 console with 1,000 backers.

Another prediction of mine: no matter how much you hate the name of the console, it's staying because Retro Magazine will be promoted heavily in the reward tiers. This will give the project cash from the lower tiers which will now be comprised of people who are still interested in the console but can no longer afford it. They can sell digital subscriptions of Retro Magazine for $1 an issue and that's all free cash for the project.

And that also leads me to another conclusion... they don't need to lower the cost of the console because I don't think they care if the project gets funded or not. Mike "wins" even if the campaign fails. He's made it clear since the beginning, he may be the front man to this console but he's not the owner of it, he is a partner. But he is the creator of Retro Magazine who's name is emblazoned on this console. The console is just a pet project. If the campaign is funded, cool. If not, it'll bring some much needed publicity to his magazine. It's like when Howard Stern ran for governor. It's publicity, and it propels the brand name. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure he really wants this thing to work. But just not enough to make sacrifices that would benefit the customer base because that's not the point. The point is to project the brand name that's sitting on the front of the console.

My last Kickstarter prediction:
Fez 2 will be announced as an RVGS exclusive. Then the users here on GAF will drive him insane and he will dramatically quit the industry all over again. Fez 2 re-cancelled.

I was going to make this same suggestion. Make it a $50 to $100 add-on. The base system should ship without it. You could even pack it in with a desirable game to make it have a larger install base.

GameGavel

Neo Member
Hey Guys,

Just wanted to drop back in and say we are boiling all the latest concern with price vs. capability down. At this point we still see tremendous value of having the first FPGA enabled console, one side effect of this is the RVGS ability to play thousands of classic and new games right out of the box -- more on that when the Kickstarter campaign launches in a couple weeks.

Also, we have addressed the 20-Year game retention so please don't worry about this anymore. Details will be forthcoming in the campaign and we can assure you all these games will outlast any of us or our kids.

We love all the debate about the machine as it shows we've really struck a chord in the gaming community. Trust that we will do what we can to create a console with a wide variety uses and value for the best price using top quality USA parts, manufactured right here in the USA.

Carry on . . . . . . .

- Mike

Thousands of classics out of the box? This thing turning into an emulator box?

Whatever. Guess nothing to do at this point but wait for the kickstarter when we can really see what's what.

GameGavel

Neo Member
Thousands of classics out of the box? This thing turning into an emulator box?

Whatever. Guess nothing to do at this point but wait for the kickstarter when we can really see what's what.

The beauty of RVGS is its ability to play classics from your gaming collection and new homebrew games for these old systems without necessarily having to play them with a "RETRO VGS" cartridge. This is all a by-product of having the FPGA inside RVGS. There are also lots of other uses for this and those will be revealed in the campaign as well. Removing the FPGA would seriously make this product much more un-cool.

In addition, RVGS will play a wide variety of games coming from some of the best Indie developers around the world and hopefully one day, even new games from the big publishers and developers.

We will have a couple more significant game announcements revealed right before or on the campaign page when it lights up.

- Mike

emb

The beauty of RVGS is its ability to play classics from your gaming collection and new homebrew games for these old systems without necessarily having to play them with a "RETRO VGS" cartridge. This is all a by-product of having the FPGA inside RVGS.
Oh, it plays actual old games? If I'm reading correctly, that's saying that I can grab an NES cart or whatever, pop it into RVGS, and play?

I had no idea. Silly as it is, that kinda kills my hype for this. Still not a deal breaker, I can always ignore it... but yeah. Very much does make this seem more like 'another emulation box' rather than something interesting.

GameGavel

Neo Member
Guys,

To reiterate, we have been boiling down all the discussions on a variety of forums and on Facebook and taking a hard look at our cost, price vs. capability. Originally, over a year ago this was going to be a system based largely around the architecture of the Beaglebone Black. At this time we had discussed pricing in the $150-$180 range. Soon after this, Steve Woita decided we need to do something that's not been done before and make a consumer product that is FPGA enabled as this would give immediate development paths to a wide variety of home brew game developers who could continue making games like they know how, for the systems they are familiar with and have a no-cost port of those games onto RVGS. Hopefully, bringing these games to a bigger audience allowing them to make more money so they can keep making more games. I hope none of you can argue about that :)

Next, since we don't want the success of RVGS to lie only in the hands of smaller homebrew game developers who are making incredible retro games for the classic systems, we wanted to make RVGS capable of playing the best of today's retro inspired games coming from a great group of Indie developers around the world. And just because these games look RETRO, they are in fact, quite large, many in the 1-2GB range. So we have had to take considerable time and effort to design a system that will play a wide variety of games coming from a wide variety of developers using a variety of oldschool to newschool programing techniques and using today's mostly inefficient game making suites like Unity and Game Maker.

RVGS will also have its own native core and tool chain that developers can work with as well. This is something still being worked on and SDKs will be available soon after the campaign ends. The bottom line is RVGS will have more than enough ways for devs to bring their games onto the system. That has always been the goal of my hardware team who by the way have been designing video gaming hardware and/or software for their entire careers.

We have addressed the flash issue and will be able to use masked roms up to a max game size of around 128 MB which will cover lots of ground. But, for games larger than that we have been working on other higher capacity storage options that will make our games last a lifetime. But its been extremely challenging working with today's technology which is largely becoming more and more disposable. Believe me we have looked at every option there is and worked with the largest electronics distributors and Flash manufactures directly to determine the best options available for our long term storage needs.

As far as whether or not we are leaving the FPGA inside RVGS. The answer is YES. Removing this part of our hardware will significantly reduce the value and capability of this machine. We have yet to announce, but will have a variety of inexpensive cartridge adapters that will allow you to play your original games (and using your original classic gaming controllers) from your collections in RVGS using only the highest quality, read that lots of GOLD, cartridge connectors made here in Southern California. You won't have to worry about sticking in your prized copy of Air Raid into the RVGS cartridge slot. AND RVGS will be a great system to play all the existing newer and upcoming homebrew titles for Atari 2600, Intellivision, Colecovision and NES (possible 16-bit consoles in the future, however, no reliable cores for these have been made yet). This is all a by-product of having an FPGA enabled system. Imagine plugging in a USB keyboard and programming and saving your programs like this was an Amiga computer? This will all be possible with RVGS and its FPGA component. Not to mention this FPGA will be used by game developers to do things never seen before in a video game. As they become more and more familiar with what we are providing them, you will see games here that you won't see anywhere else.

We are making a product for the ages and one that will have loads of value straight from the box. RVGS will be made right here in Southern California with only the highest quality parts on the market. Give us the time to prove what this will do and I am sure eventually, all of you will want to have this sitting beside your favorite game cartridge based consoles from yesterday. Regardless of what you all might think, we have spent tons of money, time and effort getting to this point.

Carry on . . . . . . .

GameGavel

Neo Member
If it's like a higher quality legit Retron 5, then that alone has my sale.

I know guys who wouldn't think about putting expensive carts from their collection in the RETRON 5 or any other multi game system for that matter.

The connectors used there are as cheap as possible and will ruin your games over time. Not making this up :)

Also, we aren't an Android system using software emulation. The FPGA will play the games you love just as you remember with no slight differences in sound or graphics. There has never been a product like RVGS ever made that can play both old and new games, and as wide a variety of games. This many output methods and the ability to use original controllers. Stick with us guys and my team will build you a system that will blow you all away. Promise!

Flink

I know guys who wouldn't think about putting expensive carts from their collection in the RETRON 5 or any other multi game system for that matter.

The connectors used there are as cheap as possible and will ruin your games over time. Not making this up :)

Also, we aren't an Android system using software emulation. The FPGA will play the games you love just as you remember with no slight differences in sound or graphics. There has never been a product like RVGS ever made that can play both old and new games, and as wide a variety of games.

Will stuff like the EverDrive N8 NES work on it?

Shaneus

Also, we aren't an Android system using software emulation. The FPGA will play the games you love just as you remember with no slight differences in sound or graphics. There has never been a product like RVGS ever made that can play both old and new games, and as wide a variety of games. This many output methods and the ability to use original controllers. Stick with us guys and my team will build you a system that will blow you all away. Promise!
Yeah, this has pretty much sold me on it now. I was suspecting that emulation had been a thing for RVGS but don't recall reading any confirmation on it prior to your posts (unless I'm mistaken).

So if it can provide 100% accurate emulation, I'd be completely blown away (and you'd be guaranteed a sale, obviously. Well done!

emb

Guys,

snip

Carry on . . . . . . .
Well said. I think that description has helped me kinda think about this thing in moreso the right way. I'm still not 100% sold on everything, but I am excited to see more.

Again, much appreciated that you're taking the time to address all these concerns as they pop up.

Vorg

Banned
Your passion and desire to build something special is admirable, but at the end of the day, it's still 400 dollars. That's just too much money. It will tank at that price.

Peltz

Hmmm... I actually think that's reasonable, especially when PS4 is $400 and is the gold standard of the industry right now.

Your passion and desire to build something special is admirable, but at the end of the day, it's still 400 dollars. That's just too much money. It will tank at that price.

You might be surprised. The Analogue NT is a new NES clone, it costs $500, or $580 with HDMI kit. Thousands of people ordered them, and once they actually started shipping the things (there were delays, communication problems), people are loving them (despite a few unexpected issues) and saying they are well worth the money. All it does is play NES cartridges, but at very high video quality, and thousands of people bought into that for $500+.

Note that (as far as I understand from early interviews) the same guy who designed the HDMI video output of the Analogue NT, designed at least some of the FPGA cores in the Retro VGS including the NES core.

Wait...I thought the ~16-bit era capabilities were already generally solidified from the earlier stat check on the audio capabilities that had it FM Synth savvy to a roughly Genesis degree at minimum alongside SiD and such? Outside of the (Potential? Or have these been actualized? If actualized, you definitely need to let each respective camp know!) Amiga/MSX sphere, things would get quite a bit dicier if the general high efficacy limit is 8 bit gen NES only---or have I horribly misunderstood something as far as the order things have/are coming together?

The adapters and such are definitely a good idea if done right and enormously sensible

Balb

Honestly, I would not mind doing that. Better than paying $20 for a digital license that can be remotely revoked.

I know you're not necessarily just talking about Shovel Knight but that game is coming out in physical form on all platforms (minus PC I think).

Sounds more impressive, but not sold on price.
Aussie dollar is shit and would increase the price even more. I understand the goals and passion and it has me excited, but to the general masses interested in this project, they won't pay this (with always the exception to the minority).

Shouldve stuck to a basic system capable to 16bit graphics and gameplay, at the original price, then release the RVGS 2 afterwards with backwards compatibility.

Forgive my ignorance as the are experts involved with this with years of experience and technical know how, but in the end of the day, price is at the top of the list I reckon.

(I hope it succeeds)

SegaShack

That is actually really cool that it plays other cartridges. That being said though, I think classic gamers such as myself like to play on the real hardware. (That being said though, an RGB capable way to play tons of cartridges would be great). The FPGA is really impressive but I still think it would be better to not use it for the first iteration of this.

Top Bottom