• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Computer time.

I'll be heading off to college in the fall and it's time to start thinking about a completely new rig. My current "fast" computer (we have two, a 300MHz, and 950 mhz) is way the hell outdated and so I'm starting from scratch.

Heres my perdicament, I don't know if I want to build my own, or purchase one from a retailer. I understand I'll probably save a bit of money building my own, but how much would I expect to save? I'm going for a fairly top end rig here, most likely.

Also, if I do decide to simply buy one from dell or someone, who tends to have the best deals. Ibuypower seemed to have really good deals, but I looked up reviews on their systems and customer service was apparently awful. Not to mention there seemed to be quite a few complaints of them simply not being well built.

Alienware....I know they're nice but are they hugely over priced? I'd probably get an Aurora, not an Area-51(unless there are some advantages to area-51 that make it a better value). Or are they so over priced that they're not even worth it?

I looked at dell and can't decide what I think of them. ANy input at all on that would be nice.

Essentially my only problems with building my own computer are that I wouldn't have any tech support if I ran into major problems like I have with my last two computers, and all the cases I see online are ugly as sin. Either way too gaudy looking like some geeky neo-techno-gothic monolith, or so incredibly plain that they make the computers we used back in middle school (you know...the dirty white ones that sit on their sides) look sleek and stylized. I like more curvy cases without being incredibly gaudy (like the alienwares).

My dad will be paying for most of it, and he said he'd like to buy one through the school (I'll be going to university of maryland) as he thinks they'll be able to give the best price, but I'm not even sure they offer any such option.

Any advice is enormously appreciated.

Teddman

Me too. My PC's DVD & CD drives no longer work and it was rebooting randomly. I took it in to get serviced (it's an HP, the guts are too messed up to do it myself), and it turned out to be the power supply.

So now it doesn't randomly reboot, but still freezes up like crazy and the drives are still shot. What could be the cause of that?

Oh well, since it's an old Pentium III 933Mhz running crappy Windows ME, I think it's time to just get a new box instead of throw any more money into it.

morbidaza, here you can read some advice on buying a new PC that I received in another forum:

Well, my PC's dead.

Bregor

Building it yourself means that it can be cheaper, and you get exactly what you want. The downside is that you get no tech support and no warranty.

Pre-built PC's can be very reasonably priced and well built, and you get tech support and a warranty. You will probably spend a bit more than if you made it yourself, and you can only choose the options they offer.

As far as pre-built PC's go, Dell is excellent. Their machines are well built, and you get good tech support and a warranty. Their prices are also very reasonable as long as you are careful how about which options you choose.

Teddman

I am thinking I will just go the cheapest route on the computer (but NOT the cheapest in terms of specs and components) because all tech support is pretty much crap. I'm not paying a premium to get connected to India, and anything non-hardware related I can fix myself anyhow.

Also beware of those "exclusive education prices that can't be beat!" on PC's at University bookstores. Back when I was in school, they were not even close to the best deal you could find on the free market, and the tech support was no better than what each PC manufacturer gives you regardless.

epmode

Bregor said:
Pre-built PC's can be very reasonably priced and well built, and you get tech support and a warranty. You will probably spend a bit more than if you made it yourself, and you can only choose the options they offer.
a bit more? i just finished building a new computer. cost about $1700 ($500 of which is from my videocard.) the same exact machine would cost $3000 at falcon northwest. granted, it's a game machine company, but there aren't many other places that offer such hi-quality parts.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
$500 vid card? I gave a 9800 Pro. You can get 2 for $500.

epmode

i know, i know. i'm well aware at how dumb it is to buy top-of-the-line cards at launch, but i haven't had a nice pc in 5 years, so i wanted to splurge.

teepo

seems like everybody is buying new pcs these days. i just bought mine in anticipation of doom3 and halflife2 ;)

Bregor

epmode said:
a bit more? i just finished building a new computer. cost about $1700 ($500 of which is from my videocard.) the same exact machine would cost $3000 at falcon northwest. granted, it's a game machine company, but there aren't many other places that offer such hi-quality parts.

Well of course it's going to be expensive if you buy it from Falcon Northwest, they are way overpriced.

For just $1499, you can get a Dell 4600 with:

P4 2.8c
Windows XP Pro
1 GB PC3200
ATI 9800 Pro
Soundblaster Audigy 2
160 GB SATA HD
8x DVD burner
17" Flat Panel Display
Printer
1 Year Warranty + 1 Year at home service

That's a lot of computer for $1499 - it would make an excellent gaming machine.

Bregor

Teddman said:
Is there an option for that Dell PC without the monitor or printer, Bregor? I don't need them...

Yes, but you wouldn't save much - only $50. Both of them are part of their current web special - a free printer and a free upgrade to a 17" Flat panel monitor.

Dell's web specials change fairly often. Sometimes it's a free printer, sometimes a free upgrade to 1 GB memory, sometimes a free aditional DVD drive. If you do decide to go Dell, then I would recommend checking their site regularly and only buy when they have a special that fits your needs.

Ecrofirt

Dell does change their specials all the time.

they had a crazy special on an XPS a few months ago that was a free upgrade to 2GB RAM from 512 and a free upgrade to the 19 inch CRT monitor. - If I had only bought it then. :(

Top Bottom