• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls 3 screenshots

I really couldn't care less whether or not the animations and physics are tied to the framerate. I just hope that there is more than minimal effort put into the PC edition.

Gbraga

I really couldn't care less whether or not the animations and physics are tied to the framerate. I just hope that there is more than minimal effort put into the PC edition.

I personally think Dark Souls II was fantastic on PC, so I'm not really worried.

Lux R7

I need a trailer, something, hype is gonna kill me.

giphy.gif

What if I liked 2 too? :p

Whatever, I know I'm gonna love 3 whatever they do. I'm easy to please when it comes to more Souls.

I don't understand why people try to act as if what we've seen so far of Dark Souls III don't have any influence from DS II at all, in terms of lore there are some elements that reinforce the fact that something meaningful happened during DS II:

From the very first trailer we saw a lord of cinder that looks a lot like the The Giant Lord/The Last Giant of DSII.

DSII is the first game that gave importance to both thrones and crowns, and we have confirmation that those two concepts are significant in DSIII

But most important of all is the fact that during the network test we found out that the main character don't go hollow, which can only be explained if you take into account that by the end of Dark Souls II we found a cure to the curse of hollowing.

I mean, come on... DSIII is taking a lot of elements from DSII, yet for some reason people force themselves to ignore all those things and say: "Hey, Miyazaki is totally ignoring DSII, surely the lore will be fine."

I personally think Dark Souls II was fantastic on PC, so I'm not really worried.

For me there were several aspects of DSII that exhibited the hallmarks of bad porting:

-Having your framerate over 30 fps accelerated the weapon durability system.
-Non-360 controllers were virtually unusable.
-360 button prompts were forced no matter what input device you used.
-Input lag on par with Witcher 3.
-Anisotropic filtering was broken.
-FXAA was the only anti-aliasing option.

It was certainly a better effort than the first game, but far from a commendable port.
So, yeah I am a bit concerned that history will repeat itself.

Gbraga

Each time I read NEW DARK CLOUD 3 SCREENSHOTS and my heart skips a beat =(

Then you realize it's Dark Souls and you get even more excited.

I mean, come on... DSIII is taking a lot of elements from DSII, yet for some reason people force themselves to ignore all those things and say: "Hey, Miyazaki is totally ignoring DSII, surely the lore will be fine."

I agree, but in my opinion it isn't as much about ignoring it in order to be good, as it is just turning it into something more interesting.

The concept of the resurrected lords of cinder and a dark hero hunting them down wouldn't be possible without Dark Souls II, and it's fucking amazing. The whole cyclical bullshit in Dark II was really boring to me, but they turned it into one of the cooler concepts in the series now.

For me there were several aspects of DSII that exhibited the hallmarks of bad porting:

It was certainly a better effort than the first game, but far from a commendable port.
leowtf.gif

Nah, it was a great port.

I feel like there's comfortable ground between demanding FOV sliders in third person games and overlooking aspects of a lazy port because it worked alright for you.

It was an "okay" port, not a great port.

Jombie

but what could he steal from "random fans on Reddit"? The discoveries? I don't think it belongs to them in the first place.

None of that stuff belongs to anyone but From, but he's openly admitted to grazing places like Reddit for information for his lore videos and allowing his audience to think that those thoughts were his own. He cites people now, for obvious reasons.

MayMay

Banned
Calling DS2 a great port... lol now I've heard everything. The game was broken to the core with so much messed up shit happening because of the 60fps

Still not completely fixed either

Gbraga

Calling DS2 a great port... lol now I've heard everything. The game was broken to the core with so much messed up shit happening because of the 60fps

I wouldn't really call that an issue with the port, it's an issue with the game.

They had to release a patch to fix the durability thing on consoles as well, after it came out running at 60fps on them.

I personally don't think it's fair to blame the conversion to the PC specifically for an issue you'd have on consoles as well if they could reach 60fps (the game was unlocked on consoles).

I also wouldn't call it "broken to the core", but even if you personally would, as you said, "the game was broken to the core", not necessarily the PC port.

I don't know, maybe I'm just too used to shitty ports, I could very well be wrong, but the way I see it, it's not fair to blame the port for an issue with the game.

gai_shain

so what were those so messed up things because of framerate?

Wagram

I'll never understand the durability crying in II. I went through every version, and it was fine. Is it so hard to carry multiple weapons?

I'll never understand the durability crying in II. I went through every version, and it was fine. Is it so hard to carry multiple weapons?

I was a dex build, which meant my weapon of choice had low durability and would occasionally hit corpses.

This meant I would occasionally be in situations, especially in the DLC, where weapons would last about five enemies with slightly bad luck. I had to switch to a rapier. Let me put it simpler: I had to design a build around a durability glitch.

Yeah it was a much better effort, but that's not to say it was great! I'm really not sure we can expect all that much with DS3 PC wise tbh, it'll be fine, with 60fps and up to 4K and a bit of FXAA built in, they certainly won't go the extra mile. Hope I'm wrong.

I was a dex build, which meant my weapon of choice had low durability and would occasionally hit corpses.

This meant I would occasionally be in situations, especially in the DLC, where weapons would last about five enemies with slightly bad luck. I had to switch to a rapier. Let me put it simpler: I had to design a build around a durability glitch.
I'm a souls expert at this point considering how obsessed I am with the series and how much I've played all 3 games at this point and as a staunch lover I can vouch that the durability was ridiculous in DS2. Especially for a Dex build. I had to think about it a little more than I wanted to and it can be annoying when you're focusing on exploring the depths. Even post glitch fix it was low.

With that said I'm confident in Miyazaki.

Like ShockingAlberto said DEX builds and weapons had low durability, so you had 2 choices: Investing on several weapons (yeah, no...) or using co-op to restore weapon durability.

Still it was a shit thing to deal with, but hardly game breaking.

I don't think the durability would be nearly as bad without the corpse glitch. It would be annoying, but fair to work around, if touching an enemy's body with your sword didn't require an immediate repair powder or bonfire visit.

krakov

Everyone endless fishing for instant backstab kills constantly and not using any other kind of tactic is not the best PVP. It was too easy to pull off as well as glitchy as hell. Backstabs from the front all the time, it just didn't make sense.

Sure, backstabs are strong in DkS and there are a lot of funky nuances to them. Saying backstab fishing is the only tactic is just pure bullshit though. Instant kill backstabs pretty much doesn't exist in meta level pvp and fishing will generally get you rekt real quick when you play half decent players. Higher level play is mostly spacing.

DS2 has a lot of similar problems.

Gbraga

I really don't want them to. The worlds and stories they create are so awesome that it would feel like a waste to put them to recreate someone else's world and story.

GorillaJu

What a horrible boss to give Guts armor to

it will be sad if the only berserker we get is oversized one

latest

nothing is wrong with oversized armors, but I want a legit berserker amor.

Holy fuck I just realized where the eyes are on the Smough hat. I finally see the "executioner" bit in "Executioner Smough"

burgerdog

Stop setting AF in game and set it to 16 at driver level.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Nah, sometimes it's just fine to simply think someone's a douche or sucks.

I've never been interested in these types of videos myself so I never had much of an opinion about it before. After clicking the link all I can say is that the presentation is well done but pretty pretentious.

Haha, fair enough. Part of me would have to agree, but I do believe in giving people the benefit of the doubt, and seeing what else they might have to offer. It seems like he's been changing his tune lately, so I just hope he continues to address consistency issues and polish his delivery (which I definitely agree occasionally comes across as pretentious).

Hahaha. I see where you're coming from, but I think what really bothers you is that people take his word (and anyone else that publishes something on lore) as ultimate truth. The lore isn't what is in the game, it's what Vaati says lore is. This isn't as much his fault as it is people appealing to authority.

To use a recent example, when Bloodborne came out, Vaati thought the Cleric Beast was Ludwig. He says it as fact in his video, but that's just because that's the kind of video he makes, he doesn't do a normal playthrough offering his thoughts, he tells a story. I thought it was absurd the moment I first watched the video, and even joked about it here and there. But that's it, it's ok to be wrong, the real issue was when I was discussing lore with some dudes, and one of them says "Ludwig is the Cleric Beast", I jokingly reply with "I see someone watched Vaati's recent video", and he says "yeah, but I could figure it out by myself if I wanted to, I just don't have the time". See, that's where the real problem lies. People are just too lazy and accept someone else's interpretation as fact instead of experiencing the game themselves and forming their own opinions, using then other people's content to compare ideas and maybe change their mind about a few points.

You have a very good point. It is largely up to the viewer to consume YT/Reddit/Wiki/etc. content in a healthy way, which doesn't stifle their own critical thinking. However, I do think that these content creators have a big responsibility when they decide to put out these things, especially when citing interpretations as fact.

You're probably right about my beef. If one guy was just shouting in the street "Cleric Beast is Ludwig! Ludwig I tells ya!" then we could all laugh it off and shake our heads. But the fact that Vaati has a mass following who will take his word as gospel without a second thought...that's the real kicker. I think he needs to respect that more, and take more responsibility. Instead, in every video of his I watch, he seems to play up to his audience and dangle random speculations in front of them like carrots on a string. A little more humility and self-deprecation wouldn't hurt.

I disagree with a lot of stuff Redgrave says, for example, but I still think he's the best lore-related content creator for Bloodborne. Didn't read his Paleblood Hunt yet (either version), but I adore his youtube stuff. It's up to people to know how these games work and filter this content, comparing with their own interpretation. And Redgrave himself keeps saying this every chance he has, which is why I always use his channel as an example, he claims people not to appeal to authority, that it's not just fine, but great, to disagree with content creators.

I'm the other way around. I haven't seen his videos, but The Paleblood Hunt is a fantastic read. You don't have to agree with all of it, but it's very well put together, and he makes it clear every step of the way what is fact pulled from the game, and what is his own reasoning. His stance is a very healthy one, and I hope he gets all the exposure he deserves. It also makes him out to be a very genuine and intelligent person, which makes his work all the more appealing.

Coming back to Vaati, a lot of people flipped their shit in the Bloodborne retranslation thread, but I saw it as a very informative video, one of the best I've seen for the game. I didn't get the impression that the objective was to say that we can't trust the official localizations, just to explore the original text in order to see if there's any doubt that could be cleared by a different choice of words. There's absolutely nothing wrong with Frognation going with Vacuous for Rom, for example, but the original text gives us the exact meaning of Vacuous we should be looking at, since it's a word that can be interpreted in various ways. I would never want (and I think Vaati wouldn't as well) her name to be Rom, the Stupid Spider, but it's nice to know for sure that this is the meaning of Vacuous we should take into consideration when discussing her title.

Obviously Vaati wasn't implying that Rom should have been labelled "Stupid".
"Vacuous" isn't some bit of abstract lore that's found in Wikis and analysed by Redditors. It's a word. Anyone can look it up in the dictionary. Google it, and immediately you get:

1. having or showing a lack of thought or intelligence; mindless.

2. archaic

empty.

The original Japanese is 白痴 (hakuchi), which is a compound noun that can literally be divided into "white" or "blank space", and "foolishness" or "absurdity".
When translated normally, it can also mean "profound mental retardation"...

In my opinion, they chose the perfect English word. It conveys all of that, especially the nuance of a massive, empty space. It reflects the area in which you find her, and what she represents. Scholars in the game wish to "cleanse themselves of idiocy", and while Rom's origins are unclear, she has something to do with their attempts to "line the brain with eyes". I'm just rambling now, but it all fits together so nicely when you consider the context.

In many instances, some will naturally be curious about the original Japanese, and what sort of liberties were taken with localisation. But I think this goes back to your previous point about Vaati, that his audience will lap it up because they don't first try to think for themselves. This is where, again, he has the responsibility to get his sources/facts straight, be honest with his audience, and choose his own words carefully.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But you have to wonder, if you did, would you really capture the same people? If you go in-depth into the thought process of interpreting the game, you'll most likely attract people who are already interested in that. ENB's From the Dark playthrough probably won't capture much of the same audience as Vaati's more quick and concise videos on Dark Souls' story.

It's also important to keep in mind that, to a lot of people, his style of video is the gateway to actually investing into the lore yourself. It's not uncommon to see people who played through the game and think it doesn't even have a story. It's one thing to ask that people who are interested in the lore already try to interpret the game themselves instead of just waiting for youtubers, but how can you ask that to someone who has no idea there even is a story? The kind of video he makes is more likely to bring more people into this side of the community, and it's already great for that reason.

Absolutely. If I started my own channel, there's no way I would attract the same user base, in terms of interest or numbers. I suppose, if I was really considering it, I'd need a fresh angle? I will happily concede that if the majority of his audience had no interest in the story aspect of Souls games initially, then it's a great thing that he's managing to convince them. But ONLY if he also encourages them to seek answers themselves, and make up their own minds.

Thank you for humouring me in this discussion, by the way! Hopefully I'm making sense.

I don't understand why people try to act as if what we've seen so far of Dark Souls III don't have any influence from DS II at all, in terms of lore there are some elements that reinforce the fact that something meaningful happened during DS II:

From the very first trailer we saw a lord of cinder that looks a lot like the The Giant Lord/The Last Giant of DSII.

DSII is the first game that gave importance to both thrones and crowns, and we have confirmation that those two concepts are significant in DSIII

But most important of all is the fact that during the network test we found out that the main character don't go hollow, which can only be explained if you take into account that by the end of Dark Souls II we found a cure to the curse of hollowing.

Oh, for sure he's not ignoring Dark 2. There are some key elements from there that have survived the transition to this "new cycle", and like Gbraga says, it's already clear that they're being carefully woven in.

However, I think you're reaching a little with the specific points you bring up. (Will spoiler as well, just in case):

There were also giants in Dark 1. Just because we can't see the face of the giant in the Dark 3 trailer doesn't mean it's a "faceless" giant from Dark 2.

Thrones and crowns are pretty run-of-the-mill for (dark) fantasy, wouldn't you say?
They may have been a key theme in Dark 2, but it's hard not to have thrones and crowns when there are kings/queens and lords.

Remember that it isn't a running protagonist in each of these games. It's always a different random individual from a different age/cycle. Hollowing and the curse still exist in Dark 3 (just look at the soldier mobs you mow down in the Network Test). In fact, Hollows still play a significant part in the story. (Can't wait for you all to see...)

At the beginning of Dark 2, the "quest" was apparently "find a cure for the curse", but this was handled vaguely, and by the end it seemed the protagonist was concerned with something else entirely. I don't think it's justifiable to say that "the curse was cured" is canon.

Of course, the complaints about Dark 2 (both in terms of lore and gameplay) are valid. If someone chooses to discount the game entirely, then that's their call.
Still, I agree that they should refrain from making such inflammatory remarks. Putting words in the mouth of the developer is always bad form.

There was also a speculation of Ludwig being the Hunter you fight in a Chalice Boss battle encounter until the DLC released and well....

I think there is a big difference between a faceles oversized humanoid (FROM loves making normal enemies bigger in Dark Souls 2) and normal Giant hollow head giant who can use that hollow pont to use magic. Considering even the gods were big in size too maybe is an old god or a new type of oversized undead/enemy with a great soul burning on him taking in reference on the soul cristalizing aspect on DS2, maybe his great soul burnt is giving a final spark of fire.

Maybe is an artistic chance since the DsK1 Giants which the Sen fortress giants looked a lot like slaves were totally different like the DsK2 giants which were more a tribal giants race who can use Pyromancy from their "mouths"

Yes, I think FROM needed a mmmm how you do say it, an avatar or a icon to establish what are they trying represent with the curse or the cycle of the curse and the ability to maintain your humanity or surpass your humanity by acquiring greater souls in a form of a crown, a representation of keeping your humanity away from the curse, for a while since you will be in a eternal hunt of greater souls until you fell hollow or let the Dark era begins and see what happens. I think the audience didnt understood that single main concept.

And yes, lots of DsK2 elemets are there, still relying on the fire is dying phase yet no one is in a hurry

Maybe Dark Souls 3 will end finally starting the human age turning the world in darkness or just simply doing another run of cycle and keep the fire alive.

Can you really blame people for wanting it all compiled into one video rather than having to search through "multiple sources"?

That's what I'm talking about, there are not "many sources", the source is the game. If people don't want to find it out themselves in the game, it doesn't matter where they find it from.

We still have people saying you need to look on a wiki to get to Cainhurst, when the summons straight up tells you where to go, same for the DLC, when there's a prompt telling you where to go when you pick up the Eye.

People are lazy, if you try to remove these compilations, they just won't ever know, they're not suddenly going through hundreds of stupid dank meme threads on Reddit (nothing against those, I actually laugh at some, I love /r/Bloodborne) to find some speculation here and a somewhat hidden detail there.

Agree, I dont blame them, I just want them to use that info and try to make their own ideas. I just simply dislike how he show that info as he was the only one doing it like the Gehrman reference how they person who discovered even make a audio comparison of his cry

Thats more like a bad straightforward storytelling souls games suffer, BB have an awful manner to tell the player what to do or a lazy desing to difference between useful notes and the real ones

myco666

Really? I guess he is also related to that frost knight in the beta cause both kinda walk on for feet

speaking of frost knight his armor(without the helmet) looks like berserker as well

WHAT?! We are actually getting a freaking Berserker armor this time?

Top Bottom