• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dark Souls 3 screenshots

neoism

I'm not concerned about the game's lenght. DS, as a series, has a huge replay value.

lol yeah if you dun put at least 100 hours in a souls game your doing it wrong..i mean these games demands a second and third playthrough...

neoism

With Bonfire ascetics you could reset places like giants memories and somewhere else to get pretty much infinite soul vessels. I know this cause I probably did it 20+ times on a character I used for PvP.

I like to min max builds and I think most of my time on Dark Souls was spent speeding through and power leveling characters just so I could PvP using a new build and weapon. It was a drag and I was very happy DS2 made it much easier to have good build variety.

glad to see others loving the system as much as me... yeah it made pvp aloot better.. i could play a build for a few dozen matches or more then change up..i wouldnt have even used the OP lighting build if it wasnt for that...i was melee on my first playthrough and then about 10 bosses in i SVed to a holy lighting build.(lol) before the nerf..😵blew my mind it was soooooo op.. ahaha

Gbraga

take the shrine out of the map and with it take out every path leading to it and it will be no different than Bloodborne.

That's actually a really good point.

Wish the new Firelink Shrine was part of the map...

Great story! I can picture it perfectly. Don't suppose you saved a video? ;)

It's the same throughout the rest of the game (although I'm not certain exactly when/where you get the Dried Finger).
The system allows for crazy stuff like this, and also let's people play solo without having to go offline, if that's their thing.

Is there an offline mode this time, though? It's useful for speedruns, because it's faster to boot.

Speaking of which, did you get to play this on PC? If so, what about the loading times?

strafer

lol yeah if you dun put at least 100 hours in a souls game your doing it wrong..i mean these games demands a second and third playthrough...

l9qeYEI.jpg

Guess I'm playing it right then.

I hope he returns to the story with his intended role in the first game. That way we could finally send to oblivion that dumb theory about Solaire being Gwyn's first born.

I didn't think it was a dumb theory at the time. Some contextual evidence seemed to support it or at least not contradict it.

But this is the first time I've seen this Andre pic. VERY interested.

I'd say it's more like BB, in the sense that you have a hub, and the rest of the world flows, and each area has its own unique flow and depth. There are branching paths later on (hidden/optional areas, etc.), but not a whole lot of freedom right from the start.

That's such a massive bummer. I love Bloodborne in its own right but it really sucks that we're apparently not seeing a world of Dark Souls 1 caliber again. I was fine with Bloodborne having fast travel from the start, the hub and all that because it's obviously going for something else than DS 1, more of an Action game feel, in which it made sense in my opinion. However, the cohesion, the sense of traveling some bizarre world, was never there for me like it was in DS 1. I'm confident DS 3 will be a great game and I'll buy the shit out of it on day 1, but for me personally, this confirmation in conjunction with the fast travel from the start and hub basically fucks up any chances of experiencing anything as exciting as Dark Souls 1 in this series again.

I also think a lot of the individual areas within Bloodborne had better level design than those of Dark Souls
This is the truth.

Dude DS1 is vastly superior to BB, but let's not get crazy here

both are interconnected

what makes DS1 stands out more is that it has more areas to connect and the nexus(aka firelink shrine) area was part of the connccted world and alots of areas lead back to it.

take the shrine out of the map and with it take out every path leading to it and it will be no different than Bloodborne.

Very good point. If the individual levels are add good as bloodborne, with a few nice connections ib won't be complaining.

It's true what Gbraga said though. Seems like we won't be getting another dark souls 1 type masterpiece of world design. It makes me wonder how their next new game will work though.

Great story! I can picture it perfectly. Don't suppose you saved a video? ;)

It's the same throughout the rest of the game (although I'm not certain exactly when/where you get the Dried Finger).
The system allows for crazy stuff like this, and also let's people play solo without having to go offline, if that's their thing.

Oh wait is this confirmation of no invading people who are solo? If it is im a bit disappointed. I love getting randomly invaded and i don't summon for help. There's a difference between getting randomly invaded and using an item to open yourself up for invasions....hated this about BB :/

Either way really, really appreciate the answers B. If only I could be so grossly incandescent.

Ferr986

Oh, I don't mean it as in "it's not edgy enough", I'm ok with silly stuff, I actually love silly stuff, what I can't see is a reason for a dark hero (and by that I assume From means "a hero of dark", and not an edgy asshole) who is hunting down those who linked the flame to praise the sun. Seems contradictory to me. That's what I'm hoping to be convinced in the final game.

Take into account that Dark Souls MC is always meant to roleplaying. You could already play as a dark hero in DS1 and still praise the sun.

Also, I think we are not going to be a truly dark hero on DS3, and the line between a light and dark being is going to be really thin. Like, those Lord of Cinder we are going to hunt, I expect them to be tied to the dark too (just my thoughts).

Btw, where does this Andre comes from? I mean, its really him or something that looks like him?

DarkFlame

Banned
I'm not concerned about the game's lenght. DS, as a series, has a huge replay value.

Yes but bigger game length means bigger adventure and in turn bigger replay value.I mean imagine if DS1 ended at Anor Londo,the replay value would'nt be even close to what we got now. More dungeons mean more challenges,more bosses,more potential items weapons to be found,a greater sense of adventure.

I'm not talking about Skyrim style adventuring,but I LOVED the fact that DS1 and DS2 Scholar of the First Sin are huge.I just couldn't get enough.

Gbraga

Take into account that Dark Souls MC is always meant to roleplaying. You could already play as a dark hero in DS1 and still praise the sun.

Also, I think we are not going to be a truly dark hero on DS3, and the line between a light and dark being is going to be really thin. Like, those Lord of Cinder we are going to hunt, I expect them to be tied to the dark too (just my thoughts).

Btw, where does this Andre comes from? I mean, its really him or something that looks like him?

Hm. Good point. Didn't think about it like that before.

I suppose there will always be people venerating the gods, for the rest of eternity, and it would be a waste not to include them as a covenant.

Thanks for the new footage. Looks like from it's from the beginning of the game.
In that case, is the Ash Adjudicator the tutorial boss?

Also, about
Andre... I though Shalquoir insinuated that the Old Iron King is a reincarnation of Lord Gwyn. Since we have a system of reincarnation, it's possible we might be meeting some old friends in new bodies.

DarkFlame

Banned
Ok,so we learned from the video that Petrification is officially substituted with Frostbite,which i guess will have same or similar effect with petrification.

Also the toxic and poison status effects are fused into one,which is a great move actually.

We can also see bonfires need to be lit with a certain item.I wonder if you need to gather these or it's just an aesthetic/thematic move and you can light every bonfire regardless.

I skipped the boss fight,dont wanna spoil too much for myself :p

Dude DS1 is vastly superior to BB, but let's not get crazy here

both are interconnected

what makes DS1 stands out more is that it has more areas to connect and the nexus(aka firelink shrine) area was part of the connccted world and alots of areas lead back to it.

Dont forget Undead Burg, The blacksmith tower and the Dark forest as mini hubs that can take you to the other parts of the world, while BB only have Cathedral Ward and heavily relies on shortcuts and fast travel.

Also, about
Andre... I though Shalquoir insinuated that the Old Iron King is a reincarnation of Lord Gwyn. Since we have a system of reincarnation, it's possible we might be meeting some old friends in new bodies.

In the Old Iron King, it was later explained the king used
his great soul to resist the darkness to transverse the Iron Passage, then He met someone there who teach him the art of using the black metal.

george_us

Shit I put 100 hours on my FIRST playthrough in Dark Souls 1. 80 in Dark Souls 2 (despite my misgivings about it) and 50 in Bloodborne.

Wait wait what...how is Andre back?? Miyazaki got some splainin to do!

Undead cant die unless they killed and dont have enought willpower to revive or go hollow and huh...die. Not sure if the blacksmith is undead in DsK1. Maybe is another Blacksmith with the same name. Only relinking the fire can make the undead curse stop spreading su huh. I have no idea

FROM really wants to do another DsK1 firelink shrine

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Is it just me or does that new Firelink Shrine interior looks similar to the
Kiln of the First Flame
?

V-Faction

Dark Souls 1 probably has the best world in the entire series.

Here's a bonus playlist from vegeta311: Everything possible before the Gargoyles.

See, I love this series (and had forgotten it existed) because it shows just how backdoor-ish you can be in DS1. Like, you can totally ring the 2nd Bell of Awakening before the 'intended' first. Damn.

When the Forbidden Forest folded back into itself and brought you back to Central Yharnam, I thought it was the bees-knees. However, that's a single loop that ultimately serves no purpose. Yes, it makes the world feel interconnected and logical (something DS2 could stand to have more of), but ultimately it's not what I'm looking for.

A) Loops
B) Verticality (if possible)
C) Multiple/Branching paths
D) Secret Unlockable Exists

Call me nutso, but it's the reason why I enjoy Super Mario World over Super Mario Bros. 3. There's linear progression versus different routes and hidden stages. Now, you can certainly find Warp Whistles and skip a lot of the intended worlds in SMB3, effectively making it optional content, but I'm not looking for warps. I want completely separate routes (as much as feasibly possible).

People say, take out Firelink and you lose that, but the amazing thing about the bonfires in DS1 is how each one could act as a mini-hub that would branch into different paths. Remember that first bonfire in Undead Berg? You return to that sucker like three times. What about the bonfire in the old church with Andre? It leads to the chapel, to darkroot, to Sen's, and acts as the hub for all of them. BB also had Oedon Chapel. Give me more of those, rather than dime-a-dozen checkpoints like what we saw in DS2.

GorillaJu

See, I love this series (and had forgotten it existed) because it shows just how backdoor-ish you can be in DS1. Like, you can totally ring the 2nd Bell of Awakening before the 'intended' first. Damn.

When the Forbidden Forest folded back into itself and brought you back to Central Yharnam, I thought it was the bees-knees. However, that's a single loop that ultimately serves no purpose. Yes, it makes the world feel interconnected and logical (something DS2 could stand to have more of), but ultimately it's not what I'm looking for.

A) Loops
B) Verticality (if possible)
C) Multiple/Branching paths
D) Secret Unlockable Exists

Call me nutso, but it's the reason why I enjoy Super Mario World over Super Mario Bros. 3. There's linear progression versus different routes and hidden stages. Now, you can certainly find Warp Whistles and skip a lot of the intended worlds in SMB3, effectively making it optional content, but I'm not looking for warps. I want completely separate routes (as much as feasibly possible).

People say, take out Firelink and you lose that, but the amazing thing about the bonfires in DS1 is how each one could act as a mini-hub that would branch into different paths. Remember that first bonfire in Undead Berg? You return to that sucker like three times. What about the bonfire in the old church with Andre? It leads to the chapel, to darkroot, to Sen's, and acts as the hub for all of them. BB also had Oedon Chapel. Give me more of those, rather than dime-a-dozen checkpoints like what we saw in DS2.

The Forbidden Woods > Yharnam secret is literally 3 of your 4 requirements.

V-Faction

The Forbidden Woods > Yharnam secret is literally 3 of your 4 requirements.

Uh, yeah, and it was great? But

130233ed3ea90c04e47967b7897e4387.jpg

Because after you get to the woods and go to Brygenwerth, it's a straight shot to the end of the game. In fact, it reminds me a lot of hitting the New Londo dead end which opens up Tomb, Duke's, and Izalith (except one choice instead of 3).

GorillaJu

Uh, yeah, and it was great? But

130233ed3ea90c04e47967b7897e4387.jpg

Because after you get to the woods and go to Brygenwerth, it's a straight shot to the end of the game. In fact, it reminds me a lot of hitting the New Londo dead end which opens up Tomb, Duke's, and Izalith (except one choice instead of 3).

I was responding because I thought you were saying its a pointless loop, but I was pointing out that it takes you to two new secret areas.

Cathedral Ward has Old Yharnam (which connects to Yahar'Gul), Hemwick Charnel Lane (which connects to the castle Cainhurst), Yahar'Gul in several places (Lecture Hall, Old Yharnam), Lecture Hall (Nightmare Frontier & Nightmare of Mensis), Abandoned Workshop (loops to Grand Cathedral), Choir area, Forbidden Woods (Central Yharnam, Byrgenwerth), and the Hunter's Nightmare.

Loops that take you back to earlier areas also aren't pointless. Yahar'Gul > Old Yharnam allows you to befriend Djura, FW > Centeal Y allows you to learn Iosefka's fate and get the invite to Cainhurst

I mean that's like the entire game of Bloodborne accessible from the one hub, and even if you didn't use fast travel you'd still be able to run through those areas very quickly to access the shortcuts. Bloodborne's world design is every bit as good as DS's I think it just suffers from misconceptions because thematically it's all very blended together instead of feeling like vastly different areas all tied together closely the way DS does.

And lastly, Byrgen > end of game is only a straight shot if you ignore Cainhurst, Nightmare Frontier and Hunter's Nightmare, and even then it does require you to open the door to Yahar'Gul, again from the hub area.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an offline mode this time, though? It's useful for speedruns, because it's faster to boot.

Speaking of which, did you get to play this on PC? If so, what about the loading times?

Offline mode is in.

I want to say loading times will be decent on PC, as that's the main development platform, but I'm not really qualified to speak for it officially.

I mean, none of this is official (in fact, it may be considered rather unprofessional), so I'd probably better gather up my chips and bail. You folks have been splendid, though. I'll try to keep my eye on the thread if it holds, but naturally want the game to speak for itself in the end.

Foffy

Banned
Dark Souls 2 never happened!

Mechanically it literally seems like that. I know for people who troll Dark Souls II that this game looks like a real sequel to the first.

If it's really Andre then whatever, I guess.. I just hope it makes sense.

Beyond the potential excuse of asset reuse to save time, the cycles in Dark Souls have always been about death, rebirth, and a potential blankness of Hollowing. Perhaps with each cycle, key powerful souls are channeled around the land plagued by the curse, for they're linked to the conflict of Dark and Fire, so they continue to play a role. Andre was at least one point assumed to be linked to Gwyn, so him being "reincarnated" in another cycle would make sense, as Gwyn's powers have done that in previous games.

An alternative example of this would be Castlevania, for that series did much of the same things. The castle played a constant role for it was in the domain of Dracula's power, much of the villains repeated and returned because they were powered by his evil, etc etc.

takriel

Why do you think that? Nothing we've seen so far indicates it's not as open. All we've seen of the game so far is a random area in the network test, and the equivalent of the super linear Undead Asylum aka the recent vid that takes place in the very first area.

B-Genius, who happens to have some sort of insider knowledge, said it's not as open in the beginning and only gradually interconnects the areas over the course of the game. So it's more like Bloodborne in the beginning I'd wager, only with bigger areas that are likely to have multiple ways to proceed in themselves.

So I'm not sure how that will affect replayability or speedrunning, tbh. It could still allow for significantly different progressing through the game, we'll have to wait and see.

Top Bottom