• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub video shows day/night transition

Gestault

If they do manage to hit 60fps with this game, forums will asplode. Too much fodder material right there.

Only because they've made a point to say they're still targeting 60 up to the 11th hour, but either way, this game looks fuun (that last part was just an aside, not directed at you).

Jburton

Banned
I didn't actually contact him. What the hell, a spark every now and again lights up the room. But yea, most probably a drive by troll lol.

It is starting to reach critical mass, I foresee a rather busy time for the poor moderation staff and many banned members.

Next two months are going to be rough.

Jburton

Banned
iSnakeTk
Banned
(Today, 08:06 PM)

Farewell.

Serious question, when do peeps lose the junior status?

If you can keep yourself right through this period on GAF you are doing well, it's very easy to fall for bait type posts and end up shitting up threads etc.

Perkel

Banned
You know, we had to put a moratorium on discussing GT in Forza threads (and vice-versa) for the same reason. Not because there was anything wrong with it per se, but because people are incapable of anything rational, or they often derail the discussion like an overturned semi on a highway.

Seems like its gonna get a whole lot busier this time around.

That is why we need another Forza x GT x Driveclub x ???? - Thread of comparison and shit like we used to have.

It kept all that needles bullshit out of |OT|s and news threads.

Bish closed old thread because it reached 20k if i am right and no one created new one.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
People keep saying the cars have "Low poly". But how can they tell? Because it looks fine to me.

This is a genuine question. I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Who fucking knows? Honestly, this might be the one area where I can buy the diminishing returns reasoning. Both games have insane car models.

The_Monk

Until to this day I still don't understand what makes a poor soul coming to a thread and not contributing in a positive or at least constructive way fellow GAFfers. I really don't get it, honestly.

On topic, this video was such a bag of fresh air, I was getting a little bored of watching the same track so this was amazing to see. Like I said previously, I even put the video on my TV to feel the racing better, if this makes any sense.

I really hope PS4 to support my Headset (Optical Audio and USB for Chat) because I really need a decent setup for the audio in racing games. No Music soundtrack needed for me, despite giving it a chance at first, the sound of the engines is what I really want.

nib95

Banned
Who fucking knows? Honestly, this might be the one area where I can buy the diminishing returns reasoning. Both games have insane car models.

Definitely. You won't notice any difference in poly's at these levels unless you go right up close auto vista style. The low poly complaints are disingenuous at best. You might be able to make out more poly differences in cockpit view mind, since that is a view that has close ups of intricacies and so on.

EGOMON

Why this is the only upcoming racer people are debating to the point of nitpicking?
Seriously i don't see threads for GT6, NFS Rival, Forza 5 or The Crew anywhere in the first 5 pages and this is like the 5th massive DriveClub thread we have.

Putty

Why this is the only upcoming racer people are debating to the point of nitpicking?
Seriously i don't see threads for GT6, NFS Rival, Forza 5 or The Crew anywhere in the first 5 pages and this is like the 5th massive DriveClub thread we have.

Both first party titles on competing hardware.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Until to this day I still don't understand what makes a poor soul coming to a thread and not contributing in a positive or at least constructive way fellow GAFfers. I really don't get it, honestly.

Yeah, God knows it takes all kinds of willpower for me not to shit on Ryse every chance I get but I'm wise enough to resist. :p

Well that has a lot to do with Evolution's transparency. When's the last time we even got new media to pick apart from Forza or The Crew?

Dante316

Im impressed by driveclub, I'm really happy that its free with plus since its heavily in social features, will benefit tremendously.

Log4Girlz

Looks really underwhelming. The one thing I can't stand is how ugly the low poly cars look in this game compared real life. I saw one of these cars at the beach and it was made of what appeared to be quadrillions of polygons. Though to their credit the game is running at 30 fps, while real life only runs at 24.

lol ;b sorry I had to

What do people think about the mixing of sound effects in the footage so far? Primarily tyre noises and off-road gravel noises.

Through headphones they sound too loud for me, and a lot louder than the engine noise and the gravel seems to have a sharp attack and release.

Putty

What do people think about the mixing of sound effects in the footage so far? Primarily tyre noises and off-road gravel noises.

Through headphones they sound too loud for me, and a lot louder than the engine noise and the gravel seems to have a sharp attack and release.

Audio implementation in games (in general) is not something that gets tackled until late into development, or rather implementation of final assets and fine tuning. They will do many passes of these things to get the balance just right but i wouldn't worry about anything in the vid as being final. Rushy also mentions that things have improved since this vid was posted.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Having played the footage from Gamersyde (numerous times on repeat), it's without doubt looking better. I like the reflections of the dials on the side window - nice touch.

If they can nail a high quality motion blur (hope you're listening please Evo) the look of this game will transform to CG like.

viveks86

Everyone outside PAL regions would be screwed as their displays won't sync to 50hz.

Interesting! But what does "not syncing to 50 hz" even mean? Games constantly run between 30 and 60 and look just fine. As nib pointed out, the only issue could be when it fluctuates. The console is still setting the display at 60 hz, right? It's only the game that would be running at less than that. Would that cause visual artifacts? If so, wouldn't a lot of games running above 30 and below 60 look messed up?

viveks86

You know, we had to put a moratorium on discussing GT in Forza threads (and vice-versa) for the same reason. Not because there was anything wrong with it per se, but because people are incapable of anything rational, or they often derail the discussion like an overturned semi on a highway.

Seems like its gonna get a whole lot busier this time around. Let's keep it sensible, people.

Can someone make a m0dus version of this?

iIkVnvbPPsgCR.gif

Or will Bish get pissed? :D

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Wow that sound is horrible.. like an airplane constant making thesame noises. That engine sound sucks.

Dear Lord. You're not even disguising it well

Seems like its gonna get a whole lot busier this time around. Let's keep it sensible, people.

viveks86

Welcome, by the way! Yes, there are still similarities from another site we both frequent but the overall quality of posters on Gaf is better ... and a lot of people actually DO know what they're talking about. Except of course the poster I responded to.

Haha! Thanks Gribble!

Gestault

There may actually be a light-physics explanation for this, but why isn't the building casting a shadow unless it's in the ~60 degree view from behind the car? As the Audi passes before and after the building, the sun casts the shadows you would expect, but on approach, the far side of shadow isn't contrasted with light from the sun until the car is passing it. It's not even distracting, just odd. That may not be clear (I'm having trouble putting it into words), so here are some pics for reference:

Solid black shadow on road surface ahead

Shadow now cast from building and guard rails

Interesting! But what does "not syncing to 50 hz" even mean? Games constantly run between 30 and 60 and look just fine. As nib pointed out, the only issue could be when it fluctuates. The console is still setting the display at 60 hz, right? It's only the game that would be running at less than that. Would that cause visual artifacts? If so, wouldn't a lot of games running above 30 and below 60 look messed up?

You'd probably get duplicate frames and judder, watch a blu-ray at 50 or 60hz and you'll see the jittery motion compared to a display that syncs at 23.976 or a multiple of. My monitor accepts 50hz but converts to 60 and it looks awful.

Running a game without vsync or using triple buffering may help but I haven't tried either due to tearing and input lag respectively.

viveks86

You'd probably get duplicate frames and judder, watch a blu-ray at 50 or 60hz and you'll see the jittery motion compared to a display that syncs at 23.976 or a multiple of. My monitor accepts 50hz but converts to 60 and it looks awful.

Running a game without vsync or using triple buffering may help but I haven't tried either due to tearing and input lag respectively.

So the jitter would go away if the game were to run at 48 fps right?

VanWinkle

There may actually be a light-physics explanation for this, but why isn't the building casting a shadow unless it's in the ~60 degree view from behind the car? As the Audi passes before and after the building, the sun casts the shadows you would expect, but on approach, the far side of shadow isn't contrasted with light from the sun until the car is passing it. It's not even distracting, just odd. That may not be clear (I'm having trouble putting it into words), so here are some pics for reference:

I don't know. It doesn't clip or pop in or anything which makes me think it's probably just the view we are at at that point combined with the lighting model. Not sure.

viveks86

I'm not even close. I'm arguably the softie around here. Either way, drop the ban discussions, get back on subject. :)

Remind me, will the plus version be available at launch? And we have confirmed ps3 wheel compatibility?

Sir yes sir! :)

The plus version is available at launch. They plan to have it available till mid next year at least. They said they would try and support all PS3 wheels that support the PS4. I think they are just waiting for the wheel manufacturers to announce PS4 compatibility at this point.

Mokubba

I'm not even close. I'm arguably the softie around here. Either way, drop the ban discussions, get back on subject. :)

Remind me, will the plus version be available at launch? And we have confirmed ps3 wheel compatibility?

Yea it will be at launch and all Rushy's said is that they will try and support as much wheels as possible so no definite answer on that.

So the jitter would go away if the game were to run at 48 fps right?

If you have a PC, cap the frame rate of a game at 50fps whilst outputting 60hz and use vsync. It's not smooth but 50fps at 50hz is.

Edit: 30fps is smoother than a vsync'd 40fps on a 60hz display.

It can go the other way too, Blim's 59/60hz offsreen footage looks smoother to my eyes than the game at home, the capture isn't synced to the output so the frames become tweened, like motion interpolation with the occasional hitch whenever they do sync.

There may actually be a light-physics explanation for this, but why isn't the building casting a shadow unless it's in the ~60 degree view from behind the car?

It does kind of seem like all the buildings only cast shadows after the car has passed them and the sun is behind. There's also some odd lighting issues where the sun should be glaring on the car as it's driving away from the sun, but because of the time speedup it's hard to tell whether the sun had already set.

Socky

I watched the video again and the sunlight on the road doesn't appear until the car is quite close to it, which is why when you look further ahead on the road the light isn't visible. This may be a graphical issue in that the light isn't being displayed early enough on the road or it could be a result of the greatly increased passage of time in the video (60x), which could produce odd results.

I believe this can be seen visually at 0:45 (the angled shadow on the left of the track seems to 'step' across the road several times as the car passes).

viveks86

I watched the video again and the sunlight on the road doesn't appear until the car is quite close to it, which is why when you look further ahead on the road the light isn't visible. This may be a graphical issue in that the light isn't being displayed early enough on the road or it could be a result of the greatly increased passage of time in the video (60x), which could produce odd results.

I believe this can be seen visually at 0:45 (the angled shadow on the left of the track seems to 'step' across the road several times as the car passes).

This. The shadows seem to refresh once every few seconds. With such an acceleration of time, there are bound to be discrepancies between the sun position and the shadows. On top of that, the car is going around the building, which changes the camera orientation relative to the sun, but not the orientation of the building.

Would love to see shadows updating instantaneously, but that's probably asking too much. Not worth it compared to pushing more face melting visual effects.

Well I hope this game turns out well as I have it bundled along with KZ with my limited edition PS4 bundle at Game.

One thing you can always count on from Evo is their games are fun!

VanWinkle

I wish this game's driving model was more arcade-based. It essentially looks like simulation driving model but without the simulation features like the massive car customization and car number, etc. I don't want pure arcade like Split Second or Burnout, but more like Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (Criterion) driving model. I mean, we already have Gran Turismo as Sony's simulation game, so it feels a bit redundant for this game's actual driving to look so similar.

Top Bottom