• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub video shows day/night transition

Salz01

Played Motorstorm all night. Now I wish i would see next gen mud in driveclub. Hoping they release more tracks and mode lists soon. Looking great so far.

RoKKeR

NFS is also completely open world + weather... Just sayin'.

Again, apples to oranges. Even though they're both racers they are really not comparable given the respective scopes of the games.

VanWinkle

Again, apples to oranges. Even though they're both racers they are really not comparable given the respective scopes of the games.

True. I only brought it up because I have read multiple people saying that NFS Rivals is the best looking next-gen racing game.

viveks86

I don't see anything bad with this :) only stating the truth. But sure, whatever.

It may very well be the truth. I'm not arguing that at all. I've seen too many forums devolve into "my favorite game is better than your favorite game" battles and there is absolutely no constructive discourse. I have just started out here and was hoping to not see that happen. :)

KillGore

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't they say they would continue working on the game even after launch? What does that mean exactly? Is it possible for them to give a slight performance boost after launch? Better graphics? maybe raise FPS? I literally know nothing of that topic.

VanWinkle

Maybe I'm wrong but didn't they say they would continue working on the game even after launch? What does that mean exactly? Is it possible for them to give a slight performance boost after launch? Better graphics? maybe raise FPS? I literally know nothing of that topic.

They could probably add weather. And of course, new cars and tracks.

viveks86

They could probably add weather. And of course, new cars and tracks.

And game modes. I think the whole "club racing" concept could produce a lot of novel ideas. Doubt if visual upgrades would happen post launch. I could be wrong, though. With micro-patching becoming a standard for next gen, may be we would start seeing such upgrades too.

VanWinkle

And game modes. I think the whole "club racing" concept could produce a lot of novel ideas. Doubt if visual upgrades would happen post launch. I could be wrong, though. With micro-patching becoming a standard for next gen, may be we would start seeing such upgrades too.

I dream of a game that is as well supported as Burnout Paradise was. I hope this will be that game.

viveks86

Oh. I just thought that was called that lag.

LOL. I had the same question. He could be referring to just good ol' lag. Or it could be micro-stuttering. Micro-stuttering happens when the game seems to be running at a stable frame rate, according to any fps counter, but in reality it isn't. So it looks rough when you play it, but technically it shows a solid 30 or 60 fps. This used to be a huge problem with AMD crossfire cards. But i think they fixed it down the line (don't quote me on that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering

Just finished watching the 1080p video on my big screen, I got the download from Gamersyde.
I think Driveclub looks good, some really nice lighting and art direction but for some reason Im not
blown away by it. Im not like OMG this is next gen racing! I think Dirt 2 has some beautiful lighting and still looks great today. I'll download the PSN plus we get free (right?) and see how it goes but there are other next gen racers Im a lot more excited about.

Cryoflar3

LOL. I had the same question. He could be referring to just good ol' lag. Or it could be micro-stuttering. Micro-stuttering happens when the game seems to be running at a stable frame rate, according to any fps counter, but in reality it isn't. So it looks rough when you play it, but technically it shows a solid 30 or 60 fps. This used to be a huge problem with AMD crossfire cards. But i think they fixed it down the line (don't quote me on that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_stuttering

Wikipedia to the rescue! Thanks for the further clarification.

viveks86

Just finished watching the 1080p video on my big screen, I got the download from Gamersyde.
I think Driveclub looks good, some really nice lighting and art direction but for some reason Im not
blown away by it. Im not like OMG this is next gen racing! I think Dirt 2 has some beautiful lighting and still looks great today. I'll download the PSN plus we get free (right?) and see how it goes but there are other next gen racers Im a lot more excited about.

Yes it is free. Do come back with your thoughts after you give it a try.

nib95

Banned
Another comparison of DriveClub vs NFS. DriveClub wow, when they nail the aliasing the game is gonna look spectacular. Looks like a gen ahead of nfs to me.

*Bonus* Bullshots, just for the lulz.

Looks nothing like the game...why release them.

Damn, currently DriveClub is quite easily leading the charge in terms of lighting and realism. Never really hit me how much till all these comparisons started cropping up.

I believe they're patching weather in to DriveClub post release.

I have a similar opinion, but who knows if once the game is done I'll have a different one. It could simply just boil down to the game not being done yet, and there's a few things here and there that make me think "Okay, this will more than likely look better when the game is done." We've certainly seen this before in their previous games. They really made some big strides in the last stages of development, or at least from what they were actually showing us up until that point. They're one of those devs that seem to pride themselves on the game, come release, looking far better than its initial real gameplay showing, so they could easily be playing a clever expectations game with people, only to end up blowing minds with a more closer to final appearance for the game.

If nothing else, though, the image quality will be quite spectacular. I've wondered sometimes if perhaps the game isn't quite as ambitious a project as I maybe thought it was in the beginning. It doesn't scream big budget title the way Infamous or Killzone do right now, and I guess that shouldn't be all that surprising considering the following those games have, but before I get ahead of myself, I'll just wait to see more from this game. More excited for the new NFS and Forza at the moment, though. And this is really a free game? The entire thing?

This game does look nice, but people really think it looks a gen ahead of NFS? That game looks quite incredible in motion what little I've seen. You sure about that?

viveks86

And this is really a free game? The entire thing?

Senjutsu! Good to see you on a PS4 game thread. :) It isn't the entire game that is free. But looks like all the game modes would be free. The only thing that would be cut down are tracks and cars. I read somewhere that you can platinum the game without spending a dollar (excluding PS+ of course). Pretty cool eh?

vio

You are starting to get used to what you see too. I find last video very nice but i am also not blown away. Evolution will surprise you when game launches though.

Senjutsu! Good to see you on a PS4 game thread. :) It isn't the entire game that is free. But looks like all the game modes would be free. The only thing that would be cut down are tracks and cars. I read somewhere that you can platinum the game without spending a dollar. Pretty cool eh?

I'd be in more of them if the titles interested me. :p

I'm taking a chance with Killzone at launch, but also never been a huge fan, so I'm purely graphics whoring it on that game at launch. Infamous, my most wanted announced PS4 title right now, doesn't get quite as much news, but you'll see how active I am in that thread when some new media gets released. :)

Resogun is interesting.in a geometry wars early in the 360's launch kind of way, so I'll prob grab that, too. This game I'm mostly interested in for the visuals. I didn't buy any of their PS3 titles, but was always interested in seeing how incredible they look. There's one other PS4 game that I may definitely pick up, Secret Ponchos! :D

Also, apologies for adding to that NFS stuff that's going on in here. Probably not the thread for it, and I hate when other threads for games I'm interested in get distracted away from with different games.

VanWinkle

I'd be in more of them if the titles interested me. :p

I'm taking a chance with Killzone at launch, but also never been a huge fan, so I'm purely graphics whoring it on that game at launch. Infamous, my most wanted announced PS4 title right now, doesn't get quite as much news, but you'll see how active I am in that thread when some new media gets released. :)

Resogun is interesting.in a geometry wars early in the 360's launch kind of way, so I'll prob grab that, too. This game I'm mostly interested in for the visuals. I didn't buy any of their PS3 titles, but was always interested in seeing how incredible they look. There's one other PS4 game that I may definitely pick up, Secret Ponchos! :D

You may or may not know that Resogun and Secret Ponchos will both be part of the Instant Game Collection with PS+. :)

You may or may not know that Resogun and Secret Ponchos will both be part of the Instant Game Collection with PS+. :)

I really haven't been paying enough attention on the PS4 side of things. What's the Instant Game Collection for PS+? Games we get for free just for signing up to PS+?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/10/sony-ps-plus-driveclub/

In addition, one digital title will be rotated each month, including three of the new digital games introduced during the PlayStation E3 press conference, Don't Starve, Outlast, and Secret Ponchos. These three titles will be available at no extra cost via the Instant Game Collection during the first year following the launch of the PS4 system

We get to keep them, or is it something we're allowed to play for free for that entire month? Which is still awesome btw.

viveks86

You are starting to get used to what you see too. I find last video very nice but i am also not blown away. Evolution will surprise you when game launches though.

That is a very interesting point. I think I'm starting to have the same issues with new videos. The problem is, once you get used to it, current gen games that used to look awesome, aren't that technically impressive anymore, even if the art direction is still fantastic.

God! I still remember the days when Doom (the first one) blew my mind from a graphics standpoint. It could never get more real than that. The goal posts moved ever since.

viveks86

I really haven't been paying enough attention on the PS4 side of things. What's the Instant Game Collection for PS+? Games we get for free just for signing up to PS+?

Yes. That's not just PS4 though. It has been called the instant game collection for PS3 and Vita as well. Where have you been?? :p

EDIT: Just pulling your leg. Happy to see you here is all

Yes. That's not just PS4 though. It has been called the instant game collection for PS3 and Vita as well. Where have you been?? :p

I have a PS3, but didn't participate or pay attention very much, if at all, to PSN outside of getting demos or specific digital games that caught my interest, so I likely missed out on a lot of good stuff. I played my 360 more so than my PS3, so I was more aware of what I was missing on the 360 side of things, but it was pretty much the same situation for my Xbox 360 as my PS3 as far as getting too deeply involved on Xbox Live was concerned. For example, I'll basically become a first time PS+ and Live Gold subscriber with the Xbox One and PS4.

EDIT: Just pulling your leg. Happy to see you here is all

Soon you'll be begging to get rid of me. :p

Keep them as long as you promise not to cancel PS+

That's pretty fucking amazing. So, what happens if I happen to lose PS+ for a month and then sign back up the following month, do I get back access to those same games? Or is it a situation where once you lose your PS+ subscription, the party is over and you have to actually buy the games now?

Hoje0308

Banned
Yeah, God knows it takes all kinds of willpower for me not to shit on Ryse every chance I get but I'm wise enough to resist. :p

Well that has a lot to do with Evolution's transparency. When's the last time we even got new media to pick apart from Forza or The Crew?

That's why I love Evo, but it's also the reason I'll understand if they don't give us a damn thing between trade shows for their next release. Which better be another Motorstorm, by the way.

Dag nabbit...

Tsundere

Banned
That's pretty fucking amazing. So, what happens if I happen to lose PS+ for a month and then sign back up the following month, do I get back access to those same games? Or is it a situation where once you lose your PS+ subscription, the party is over and you have to actually buy the games now?

I believe that they are registered to your account but are only active as long as you have a PS+ subscription, so it should be fine as long as you re-activate.

viveks86

For example, I'll basically become a first time PS+ and Live Gold subscriber with the Xbox One and PS4.

Nice! You are better off than I am for next gen. I haven't even placed my pre-orders yet. Been burnt too many times getting electronics right out of the door (360, macbook air and a few others) that i couldn't make myself take the plunge. Probably PS4 in Q1 next year and Xbox one after Titanfall.

At least that's the plan until Driveclub blows my mind and I give in...

Ryu

I believe that they are registered to your account but are only active as long as you have a PS+ subscription, so it should be fine as long as you re-activate.

This is correct. They stay in your download list tied to your account, but you won't be able to play them again until you sign back up to PS+

viveks86

At least that's the plan until Driveclub blows my mind and I give in...

On second thoughts, I may not even get a chance to order one post-launch, with the ridiculous demand for the holidays. We'll see. But I also hear that amazon is upgrading many standard editions to a day one bundle. The news was on PSLS, which isn't credible. One can hope.

Is there anyone out there who pre-ordered a standard edition and can confirm if they were upgraded to day one delivery?

satam55

Banned
Why are more Drive Club threads turning into discussions about other racing games? If I wanted to see other racers I would go to their respective threads.

I've seen almost all the footage posted on those games and haven't found much to comment on yet other than The Crew but that's another thread.

It's because "Driveclub" is a new IP & is launching as an exclusive at the launch of a new generation. So of course people are gonna wanna compare it to other established racing game franchises.

viveks86

It's because "Driveclub" is a new IP & is launching as an exclusive at the launch of a new generation. So of course people are gonna wanna compare it to other established racing game franchises.

That is true. I like comparisons too, if they are done on threads specifically meant for it

Cryoflar3

You have them as long as you have PS+. If you lose your subscription you lose access to the games, but get it back once you resubscribe.

Its also a good point of reference to have something to compare it to. This way your not going in completely blind.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Just watched the video a few times on my HTC One. It has roughly the same size screen ad the Vita but a 1080 screen. *whew* this game looks like perfection when all the pixels are scrunched up, I assume it's the same way when you're far enough away from the TV. This is gonna suck up a lot of Remote Play time if the image quality carries without loss.

viveks86

Just watched the video a few times on my HTC One. It has roughly the same size screen ad the Vita but a 1080 screen. *whew* this game looks like perfection when all the pixels are scrunched up, I assume it's the same way when you're far enough away from the TV. This is gonna suck up a lot of Remote Play time if the image quality carries without loss.

You mean if it looks like this? :D

ieiAnHprzY0rT.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Super stardust HD got a patch to add 60fps and 3D, pacific rift got a special version adding 3D.

I wonder if that's because it isn't 'in your face' with sparks, flare, bloom all over the place? It doesn't set out to wow, but I bet it does when you've had some time with it.

HDTV doesn't support 48Hz AFAIK... they DO support 50Hz anyway.

If all HDTVs were confirmed to support 1080p/50 (or 720p/50) then it'd be interesting to see a developer try that. I wonder how it'd feel to a US audience used to either 30/60 though?

coolasj19

You mean if it looks like this? :D

ieiAnHprzY0rT.gif
It's so beautiful. It makes me cry. Oh OLED Playstation Vita, I'm gonna live you and take care of you and repair you forever and ever.
its+so+beautiful+_7e77065d3876239be6080393a315927c.jpg
Driveclub Vita? Make it happen!

viveks86

HDTV doesn't support 48Hz AFAIK... they DO support 50Hz anyway.

Apparently 50Hz is supported only for PAL. At least according to drugstore_cowboy. He had mentioned it a couple of pages back. I'm going to take his word for it, since I couldn't find 50Hz support for NTSC on the internet

kurbaan

Banned
Is this game all about time trials and ghost racing? Gonna get the free PS+ version hopefully its good. Really gonna miss a ridge racer at a playstation launch though.

viveks86

Is this game all about time trials and ghost racing? Gonna get the free PS+ version hopefully its good. Really gonna miss a ridge racer at a playstation launch though.

Of course not. It is a bit painful that they've been teasing us with time trials all this while. Rushy did confirm that the next video is going to be a head to head race. So we can say for sure that there would be 2 cars at least. Hoping to see the maximum, which is confirmed as 12.

viveks86

It's so beautiful. It makes me cry. Oh OLED Playstation Vita, I'm gonna live you and take care of you and repair you forever and ever.
its+so+beautiful+_7e77065d3876239be6080393a315927c.jpg
Driveclub Vita? Make it happen!

Interesting that you had to say OLED Vita. It seems like no one really likes the new LCD ones. Hope it never makes it to the west, if the comparisons are true!

coolasj19

Interesting that you had to say OLED Vita. It seems like no one really likes the new LCD ones. Hope it never makes it to the west, if the comparisons are true!
It's probably not the worst thing in the world or anything, and truth be told it might have less flaws in the screen. But, my Vita is the only OLED screen I have now that my Droid Incredible is dead. It's actually rather disappointing Sony didn't do any of that cool screen is always on type deal with it.

Mostly, I want it because when I Remote Play it'll give me a different set of colors than my TV will. I have to vary up my gaming experience every once in a while or I get bored.

And seeing as Driveclub is doing fairly interesting thing with its color palette, read : every color under the sun. I want an accurate color representation.

Top Bottom