• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DriveClub video shows day/night transition

"10. The crowds release balloons throughout the race. The balloons should react authentically to the wind and light up correctly at night – and appear less frequently too – but the game is still in development after all."

Lol, that's so pointless.

Ishan

think after fifa 14 (my roomate is european and were splitting the cost ... all he wants is fifa) were picking this up :) ... looks great.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Umm... The aliasing is pretty jarring, the car audio is very tinny, and the color banding across the sky is pretty unseemly.

This game, as much as I hate to say it, doesn't really interest me. Forza 5 is looking on track to take the next gen racing crown (and I'm not even a fan of XB1).

Gavarms

This is the missing info:
6. Not only do we model every car in staggering detail inside and out, we go to great lengths with the environments too. Check out the observatory tower at 1:47 and 2:37!

Does anyone find the fact that they are pointing out graphical and sound glitches and tiny portals "to another dimension" a really refreshing attitude to demonstrating a game?

that is just unnecessary, and to silence the inevitable nitpickers here at gaf.

there are necessary and unnecessary nitpicks. no one is going to lose sleep over aliasing on the rear windshields, so much that reassurance that it'll be fixed is needed for it.

EmptySpace just can't believe how people always jump on the newest driveclub video with so much nitpicking.

hopefully evolution studios won't focus too much on the unnecessary nitpicks and just on the necessary ones.

nib95

Banned
Finished watching the HQ, shame about the sound glitch, but still, love how aggressive the car sounds. Visuals are fantastic. Can't believe how many light sources are all over the place, not something you often see with racers. I mean literally, every barrier cat light, the lights in the buildings, conservatories, windows, laps, bulbs, even in the distance. Also love how the car cockpit is accurately illuminating not just the car and reflections on the glass, but also the skin of the driver with a nice shader.

This is why racers need night racing. The track is near unrecognisable by the end, and it really does add a world of atmosphere and diversity.

Looks MUCH better than previous footage, the jaggies are still there but much less prominent. The improvements come day by day it seems!

Looks very pretty. Anyone else seeing the frame rate drop below 30, though? I'm using youtube from work, so maybe you don't see it in the higher quality videos.

This will look insane when it's finished.

I hope Guerrilla throws us a bone as well. Really curious to see how their Shadow Fall SP looks right now.

Igo

What's going on with the rear bumper and shadows whenever the sun is in view? Seems like the motion blur on the road surface and shadows aren't getting along with each other.

BadAss2961

Umm... The aliasing is pretty jarring, the car audio is very tinny, and the color banding across the sky is pretty unseemly.

This game, as much as I hate to say it, doesn't really interest me. Forza 5 is looking on track to take the next gen racing crown (and I'm not even a fan of XB1).
If there's one example of what separates DriveClub from Forza 5, this is it. This video blows away Forza imo.

I also think DriveClub looks a lot better without all the social media prompts and whatnot.

Cidd

Guess I'm the only one who liked the thump sound the engine was making on gear shifts lol.

Makes it sound so much better imo.

nib95

Banned
How do I get my 50% off PS+ discount pre-ordering the retail version of this? On Amazon (UK) to pre-order now and there's no mention of it.

Rushy, any word?

I just watched the 1080p footage and it looks great! The AA really helped and so the IQ is much better now. The sunset looked beautiful.

OchreHand

Damn, at work. Hopefully a kind soul will gif some of the video.

Also I love the open communication from the developers. Kudos to them.

The Cowboy

Gotta say, when in exterior view I don't find it all that impressive for a next gen title, however once in cockpit view it looks loads better.

How do I get my 50% off PS+ discount pre-ordering the retail version of this? On Amazon (UK) to pre-order now and there's no mention of it.

Rushy, any word?

I think it's just going to be a discount voucher in every box. The initial announcement didn't say anything about specific retailers. In fact it didn't even say that you needed to preorder to get the offer.

But yeah, official word would be nice.

Originally Posted by PS Blog
5. We decided to show this time trial event with on-screen display disabled, because lots of people wanted to see this and it’s something you can choose to configure in the game. We noticed that when we did this, the game still plays the sound effects for Overdrives, so we’re fixing this.

6. The way that we have captured each car’s distinctive audio is evident here because we’ve disabled the in-game soundtrack music, but we’ve actually just made further improvements to the quality of the audio in the game today (and fixed the backfire so that you can hear it properly on the Audi R8 V10 Plus), so it’s still getting better.

7. All lights illuminate the environment authentically. The dashboard fully illuminates, so you can see the glow of the buttons in the control panel above the rear-view mirror and you can see the reflections in the windscreen and the driver’s window. Similarly, you’ll notice that the brake light illuminates the car’s active spoiler in the first two laps. Hopefully this will draw your eye away from the glitch with the car’s tyre smoke (which is missing) and excessive anti-aliasing on the Audi’s bevelled rear window frame… which we are of course still developing.

9. Ghost cars (and opponent cars) are all fully realised in the rear-view mirrors, but there’s currently a small glitch that makes them render incorrectly when the sun goes down. This will be improved by launch.

11. There’s a tiny portal to another dimension (aka a glitch in the world) at 0:32. We’ve fixed it in the game already.

I think it's awesome that they know about the weak spots and glitches and are actively working on fixing those.

Game looks amazing. I will buy the full edition day one.

VanWinkle

A few 1080p captures from the video.

i7gWLsJ4RWSMi.png

iWgK0SYfkWWL9.png

i5oGdsU2bZgER.png

iv0p3tKQcqdTP.png

i8jxgy5IJXS5c.png

I still don't get all the Forza bring-ups. What little footage we've seen of Forza looks like boiled buttholes compared to this game. Admittedly, I love the aliasing teardown on gaf.

Gaf -> Whole image looks just awful, needs aliasing, white lines *barf*
-> Improved
Gaf -> OH MY GOD THE LINES ON THE REAR WINDOW
-> Improve
Gaf -> ALIASING ON THE SIDE MIRRORS OH GOD VOMIT
-> Improve
Gaf -> OH DEAR GOD THE DIAL ON THE SPEEDOMETER HAS JAGGIES, GOD FORZA IS AMAZING
-> "Sorry guys, we got nothin"

Hyperbole aside lol, the Gamersyde video is too massive to download at work lol, bunch of bandwidth whiners here. I expect some lovely Gifs, please don't disappoint :p

Also I think it's totally awesome that they addressed the fanbase in such a way, very cool. I think they definitely need a behind the scenes video.

Teppic

Can't say I'm impressed. It looks okay, but it's not 60 fps. For 30 fps I expect a bit more in the graphic department than this. Launch game, I know, and there will be better looking games down the road, but still.

So does this mean that DriveClub is being rendered at 2K ?

It is a little bit more than 1920x1080->2048 x 1152 I wonder if this is to reduce the jaggies? Would be nice if Rushy could confirm the game is running at a higher resolution.

Here are the 2k captures, also on the main page.

ibq4YpHBpyRdhL.jpg

iGnw8hi51ES9W.jpg

ighyNFK7xsyLF.jpg

iuS1NXQCVepC3.jpg

ibsHL9ZLoz7Pls.jpg

ibgjYOULuMBgwj.jpg

gogogow

Really turned off by the camera viewpoint, it's way too flat. There's also some wonky driving physics (like at 0:50).

WTH is that in the sky at 0:49?

Dukey

Banned
Day night transition looked nice. The game itself still doesn't look remarkable in any way to me, though. It's a good thing a portion of it will be given for free via PS+. Perhaps that will sway me.

DBT85

Not watched the video yet, but to see that nice list of things they are doing and have done and what we'll see in the video is really cool. Much better than just pushing it out there cold.

nib95

Banned
I think it's just going to be a discount voucher in every box. The initial announcement didn't say anything about specific retailers. In fact it didn't even say that you needed to preorder to get the offer.

But yeah, official word would be nice.

I'll wait till official word then. But yea, I'm sold on this now. I want the full retail version.

A few 1080p captures from the video.

Impressive. A few more.

image_driveclub-23182-2662_0022.jpg

image_driveclub-23182-2662_0023.jpg

image_driveclub-23182-2662_0024.jpg

image_driveclub-23182-2662_0025.jpg

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The motion blur seams around the car are still really obvious and distracting. I can't stand it in current games and usually turn it off because that's such a common issue, but it would be nice if we got more accurate solutions next-gen.

BeeDog

The motion blur seams around the car are still really obvious and distracting. I can't stand it in current games and usually turn it off because that's such a common issue, but it would be nice if we got more accurate solutions next-gen.

If GoW3 managed to include amazing motion blur on the underpowered PS3, I don't doubt that Sony's techies will conceive a much better solution as the next generation trucks along.

Top Bottom