• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DualShock 4 Controller Patented By Sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarsonot

With the talk of the shoulder scroll wheel, and how it's such a good idea and all, I'm surprised they're not incorporating that.

The overall shape of the controller in the first two pictures is totally different from the third one.

Man, I need to look at things closer. =)

Andrefpvs

Hmm, I'm actually reasonably happy with the current Dualshock 4. Thankfully mine wasn't affected by the crap rubber on the sticks or the sticky R1/L1 buttons.

I guess for a revision I'd like bigger and easier to press SHARE/OPTIONS buttons (kind of like what Sony did with the PS Vita Slim's Select/Start buttons). Oh, and a D-Pad closer to the Vita's.

Servbot24

Banned
I like the new Share and Option locations.

The new buttons on the underside seem like I would be accidentally pressing them all the time.

I'd rather leave the analog sticks where they are. They're perfect as is and moving parts increases chances of defects.

Psxphile

How do you even make a swappable input controller? I've seen what these things look like on the inside, I can't fathom how it would work. Seems like two different control designs they're trying to patent because they haven't quite settled on which one they like more. Or maybe it's going to be put forth as an alternative to the classic design for discerning consumers, which makes me wonder how exactly could it be seen as desirable.

Fredrik

Smart move if they launch it alongside Neo, looks pretty much perfect, the modular design with the changed stick placement is great too.

timlot

Banned
They got the left thumb stick right. Just need to put the action button back where they belong and right thumb stick where it belongs.

img

joysticks seem to be the same, hopefully they changed the material so it's not that greasy ass plastic I gotta wipe off my fingers during gaming sessions because I'm losing grip.

Never had that problem with any other controller.

The problems with the original go beyond the battery IMO. I'm on my fourth controller because the sticks are super cheap with textures that wear out quickly, the build quality just feels cheap, and the touch pad looks incredibly tacky.

17L and 17R look utterly useless considering the positioning and current shape of the controller mean you'd still have to take your thumb off the sticks to press them.

Edit: Actually, they have to be Share and Start considering those aren't there any more. The touchpad is smaller too.

Venom Fox

Banned
joysticks seem to be the same, hopefully they changed the material so it's not that greasy ass plastic I gotta wipe off my fingers during gaming sessions because I'm losing grip.

Never had that problem with any other controller.
Sounds like your rubber has fully peeled off...
;P

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
a DS4 Elite would be cool but pls release a basic controller revision with better battery life as well

Oh wow, just been talking about this. I hope it comes to market alongside the Neo.

The button / stick position switching is a great idea!

I'm incrediblely surprised Sony cared enough to make something like this.

And it is two different controllers. Look at the speaker grill. On the Wii pro pad copy, it a circle. On the other, It is the same as the current DS4.

I'll only pick one up if the buid quailty has been improved and it offers longer than a 90 day warranty.

Well. Hopefully they fix the ugly.

Ugly? The prototype is a better looking controller than the current DS4 in my view.

The prototype also looks more "PlayStation" if that makes any sense.

Neoxon

So I can simulate the Pro Controller with this, neat. Hopefully they improve the sticks & the triggers.

At least they will address the following:
2x+ battery life
Sturdier thumbsticks
Vita d-pad
Smaller touchpad
No light strip (wishful thinking)

Extra 'shifer' buttons and layout changes would be an added bonus but they have to at least get the above looked at

LeleSocho

Banned
YOOOOOOOO!!!!!

If the truly do the modular thing then they won everything... one would only need to buy a decent third party d-pad to have a perfect pad.

Malice215

The DS4 is an amazing controller but the build quality is cheeks. I hope this is not the replacement because I prefer the DS4's ergonomics.

thuway

This might be thinking way too out of the box but I wish they would use a more comfortable or textured material instead of the hard plastic handles.

Please use this opportunity to fix the triggers, the battery life, the stick placement (options are good), and the quality of the sticks. DS4 is well behind the XB1 and Wii U Pro controllers, but they could easily make it better than them both if they wanted to.

What's wrong with the triggers of the current DS4? They always felt great to me.

They break easily. I had no idea mine were broken until I played the new Trials game and it only accelerates half way.

Neoxon

At least they will address the following:
2x+ battery life
Sturdier thumbsticks
Vita d-pad
Smaller touchpad
No light strip (wishful thinking)

Extra 'shifer' buttons and layout changes would be an added bonus but they have to at least get the above looked at
This would be a godsend for Street Fighter pad players. The Vita D-Pad is the one of the few modern first-party D-Pads (the other ones being the Wii U D-Pads) I can execute QCF & QCB motions on consistently.

You clearly haven't used the Wii U GamePad or the Pro Controller. That lay-out is actually great for shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom