• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fatal Frame game announced for Wii U

Roo

tumblr_lk9cnzKtl21qzwaddo1_500.jpg

lmao

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
More likely that it's not coming to the US.

Yeah, although maybe Nintendo is changing their tune on publishing more 'mature' games in the US again.

Wii-era NoA would never have published Bayonetta 2.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
wait wait wait so FF 5 (?) for Wii U is actually real...
Joke, but I was a little concerned by the very "shy" announcement it received on Famitsu...
Glad to see that they are teasing the main characters "through" the movie: should the movie be out around August, right? So probably we could hope to see the game around September, TGS or Direct...right?! This and the FExSMT confirmation really please me

Ibrahim

Banned
YES YES YES!!! I've been waiting for this.
You know Fatal Frame is the only horror franchise that did stick to its root and did not change, Alone In The Dark changed, Resident Evil changed,Silent Hill changed (even though they are trying hard to do horror but seem to fail even more than before) and Clock Tower/Haunting Ground (my favourite) is dead for now.
But Fatal Frame seems to have the worst sales from them all, we need to buy this game to show that horror games can be profitable.

nasos_333

I have to say WiiU is turning to one of the best systems

Zelda, Xenogears, Bayonetta, WW remake and more is coming constantly

Zornica

Banned
You know Fatal Frame is the only horror franchise that did stick to its root and did not change, Alone In The Dark changed, Resident Evil changed,Silent Hill changed (even though they are trying hard to do horror but seem to fail even more than before) and Clock Tower/Haunting Ground (my favourite) is dead for now.
But Fatal Frame seems to have the worst sales from them all, we need to buy this game to show that horror games can be profitable.

so they can change it to "broaden" it's appeal?
I don't think so.
If low sales are what keeps it from being fucked up, I'd rather have it stay that way
/jk

DVCY201

Call me crazy but I really believe this one has a chance of getting localized.

I agree. We didn't have to fight to get Xenoblade Chronicles X localized, and that's about as Japanese as Japanese does. So, I'm hoping for Fatal Frame! NoA robbed me by refusing to do 2 and 4.

It'd be perfect with the Game pad as the camera.
So glad that they are continuing the series, even more so that Nintendo are helping.

Ibrahim

Banned
I agree. We didn't have to fight to get Xenoblade Chronicles X localized, and that's about as Japanese as Japanese does. So, I'm hoping for Fatal Frame! NoA robbed me by refusing to do 2 and 4.

Fatal Frame 2 for Wii was one of the best games I've played this generation, Silent Hill for PS1 was always my number 1 horror game for everything from music to the atmosphere, but FF2 for Wii is up there with it and I can't pick which one is better trust me it's that good.

Guys, Nintendo will release Devil's Third in the West (supposedly) so I think this is definitely getting localized.

They will this fall have publish in the west two games released by Tecmo in Japan: Ninja Gaiden: Razor's Edge and Hyrule Warriors.

They localized the most recent game, a remake, in 2012 in Europe. Sure it didn't get released in the US but it was a niche Wii game in 2012 when the Wii U was to launch.

Fatal Frame IV shipped with issues like not being able to get 100% completion. You can see why Nintendo wouldn't want to localize a broken game for the West.

They need games and have even made the extra effort to port Bayonetta 1 and include it free Bayonetta 2.

This Nintendo will localize it.

As for Fatal Frame I still need to get copies of the two Wii games. I also need to play the original PS2 trilogy. I have them on disc and as PS2 classics as well.

Semajer

I am erect. This is my most anticipated game behind SMTXFE, and I cannot wait to play this when it is released in the UK
OR ELSE!
Fatal Frame is seemingly the only long-running horror series still going that is still horror, and it helps that the games are still amazingly fun even when you've played enough for the scares to be ineffective.

Aren't each of the games themed after a color? Obviously FF2 was red, but I remember FF4 being yellow.

So FF5 is blue? What was FF1 and FF3?

Judging from that picture the colour for Fatal Frame 5, assuming that's the final logo, will be white. FF1 was pink, which I don't think carried over to the western releases. FF2 and FF2R were red for the butterflies. FF3 was blue for the tattoo. FF4 was yellow for the moon. Spirit Camera was purple for the diary, I think, but that's a spin-off.

Well, Fatal Frame 4 was a bit of a mess. It nearly released in Europe, but the glitches and the costs KT demanded to fix them killed the localisation.

NOA has no excuse for not releasing FF2R in America. It was already fully localised in English
assuming Americans can understand words with the 'u's intact, and torch instead of flashlight, etc.
, In addition to that America has Halloween, a holiday about spooky things, it almost markets itself, and the game was out in Europe well before October.

Some things did change with FF4, like the camera (now over the shoulder like RE4), the setting (first part is a somewhat western style hospital, and I found it one of the best locations in the series) or the controls, since it uses the wiimote (those were horrible to be honest).

Though, yeah, it's nothing major. It's was still good old Fatal Frame.

Just import a european copy of FF2. FF4 also has a fantranslation. Should be pretty easy to play them thanks to homebrew.

Fatal Frame 2 for Wii was one of the best games I've played this generation, Silent Hill for PS1 was always my number 1 horror game for everything from music to the atmosphere, but FF2 for Wii is up there with it and I can't pick which one is better trust me it's that good.

I found FF2 remake a bit disappointing. Not enough new content. It wasn't REbirth, that's for sure.

Still good though, especially if you haven't played the original.

Is this going to be like the Wii exclusive fatal frame game that was never localized?

Fatal Frame 4 was never localized (though it was going to be released in europe), Spirit Camera (FF spinoff) for 3DS has been localized for the US and for europe, and FF2 remake was localized for europe only.

I'm pretty sure FF5 will be localized.
For europe at least

Arkaerial

Unconfirmed Member
this could work really well with the gamepad, more than any other title.

PS4 /w Vita support would be awesome. Than again PS4 with Morpheus would be really awesome. Since the Wii-U has the screen with every system it would make more sense.

Didn't the last Fatal Frame have some game breaking bugs that were never fixed?

Bulzeeb

PS4 /w Vita support would be awesome. Than again PS4 with Morpheus would be really awesome. Since the Wii-U has the screen with every system it would make more sense.

FF 4 had and that was the reason why Nintendo didn't release the game outside of Japan or so I heard

FF 4 had and that was the reason why Nintendo didn't release the game outside of Japan or so I heard

That's what they say, but the game was coming to europe, and they probably did already know about the bugs from japanese players feedback.

Not sure what happened next, maybe those bugs were too hard and expensive to fix and Nintendo didn't want to waste money on it.

canocha

If i'm not mistaken, the guys who did the fan translation fixed those bugs too!

Het_Nkik

They weren't game breaking, but they did make it impossible to complete the ghost list. But yeah, like Canocha said, there's a "patch" to fix it (really more like a cheat code that just tells the game you have a full ghost list).

I played through the game with the English patch without encountering any problems. It was really good, too.

So was there any full clarification in Nintendo's Stake in the IP? I know that they have some controlling interest in the series but how much of it, whether its majority or minority, is still up in the air from what I could gather.

They weren't game breaking, but they did make it impossible to complete the ghost list. But yeah, like Canocha said, there's a "patch" to fix it (really more like a cheat code that just tells the game you have a full ghost list).

I played through the game with the English patch without encountering any problems. It was really good, too.

I actually encountered a bug where I opened a door and I could walk into a black screen or something. It probably was caused by the patch though (played with the first version).

So was there any full clarification in Nintendo's Stake in the IP? I know that they have some controlling interest in the series but how much of it, whether its majority or minority, is still up in the air from what I could gather.

I think Nintendo co-owns with Tecmo the rights of the last few games, but the IP itself still belongs to Tecmo.

Just noticed that 4Gamer has replaced the picture. The logo is a bit different now, there are Tecmo and Nintendo copyrights and the image of the character is different too.

New one:

TpHBaOv.jpg

Old one:

6rJ758N.jpg

akaoni

Banned
I'm a bit behind on these images but the middle character looks like one of the FF4 characters if my memory of the clothing is correct.

U3N2wwC.jpg

Just the top I guess.

Zornica

Banned
That's what they say, but the game was coming to europe, and they probably did already know about the bugs from japanese players feedback.

Not sure what happened next, maybe those bugs were too hard and expensive to fix and Nintendo didn't want to waste money on it.

I wonder how often those occured... I beat the game twice, first time without the english patch, 2nd time with the patch. Didn't encounter any bugs... or at least I didn't notice any. Maybe I thought they were part of the game? it's always hard to tell with theese kind of games what's intentional and what isn't

I'm a bit behind on these images but the middle character looks like one of the FF4 characters if my memory of the clothing is correct.

U3N2wwC.jpg

Just the top I guess.

The middle character is the new one from Project Zero 5. The other 4 are from Zero 1 to 4 with pj4 Ruka on the right side in the back and Mayu from pj2 front left. Can't remember the names of the girls from pj1 and 3 anymore

The middle character is the new one from Project Zero 5. The other 4 are from Zero 1 to 4 with pj4 Ruka on the right side in the back and Mayu from pj2 front left. Can't remember the names of the girls from pj1 and 3 anymore

The one from FF1 is Miku (she was also playable in FF3) and the one from F3 is Rei.

Also, PZ3 had 3 playable characters and PZ4 had 4, so I'm guessing the one we see here in the picture won't be the only one.

Dambrosi

Banned
Perfect machine for the series to go to. The GamePad Obscura should be fun to use.

Actually, using that in one hand and the Wiimote as a flashlight pointer in the other would be rad.

DVCY201

Well, Fatal Frame 4 was a bit of a mess. It nearly released in Europe, but the glitches and the costs KT demanded to fix them killed the localisation.

NOA has no excuse for not releasing FF2R in America. It was already fully localised in English
assuming Americans can understand words with the 'u's intact, and torch instead of flashlight, etc.
, In addition to that America has Halloween, a holiday about spooky things, it almost markets itself, and the game was out in Europe well before October.

I'm in Canada, so we use the 'u's anyways, haha. NoA probably got cold feet which is aggravating, and not even XSEED could salvage it.

Just import a european copy of FF2. FF4 also has a fantranslation. Should be pretty easy to play them thanks to homebrew.

Yea, I've been holding onto my old Wii and looking into that. Maybe I'll get that done this Summer.

Yea, I've been holding onto my old Wii and looking into that. Maybe I'll get that done this Summer.

You should be able to find the european version of FF2 at pretty cheap, I think. FF4 seems to be is pretty expensive though.

btw FF2 remake was released just one day after the japanese version. Hopefully they will do the same with FF5.

Looks very interesting. I really like how the main girls look in this. Not all made-up like I see in a lot of horror films but fitting the creepy atmosphere with a kind of shocked appearance. I guessing (hoping?) we'll see footage of the new game at TGS if this is already coming out in September.

Edit:

In all seriousness, I think WiiU lacking a horror game was the thing that kept me from buying one.. Seems like there is no excuse anymore.

Does Zombi U not count?

Weiss

Banned
This has the potential to be the single best implementation of the Wii U gamepad.

I was actually discussing this a few days ago with some friends.

Top Bottom