• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FFXII trailer! Nice shit!!

Looks really good. The ingame animation has been improved quite alot since FFX which is a good thing.

The music rocked too. Although when the actual music first started I thought they were going to go into the DQ theme because it sounded almost exactly like the beginning of that theme.

shpankey said:
Hmm, shoulda had Blizzard do the cinematics for them! ;) ;)

I keeed I keeed :)

Heh, my friend who works as a computer animator (he's probably seen every CG cinematic in existence) told me that in his opinion WarCraft 3 has the best CG cinematics ever, and he's a HUGE Square fan.

mint

Banned
sp0rsk said:
i can only hope the american version has such awesome voice work.
You know I find that funny. The reason why you would like their voice is because you hardly understand how japanese talk in real life. On the other hand, you have gotten too used to the english language, and a lot will sound silly or laughable. If you were japanese, korean, chinese and you watched something with the same language, you will probably feel the same way.

RiZ III

Can't wait. I still think FFX looked better graphically but I like what they've done with the battle system in this one. Story seems better too. Good times.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
mint said:
You know I find that funny. The reason why you would like their voice is because you hardly understand how japanese talk in real life. On the other hand, you have gotten too used to the english language, and a lot will sound silly or laughable. If you were japanese, korean, chinese and you watched something with the same language, you will probably feel the same way.

er, not at all. i speak japanese on a daily basis(to japanese people). These are really good voice actors. hell one of them is sanji from one piece. They dont just use some random people who said one day "how about i do some voice acting?" VA in japan is a very serious business.

Zaptruder

Banned
sp0rsk said:
er, not at all. i speak japanese on a daily basis(to japanese people). These are really good voice actors. hell one of them is sanji from one piece. They dont just use some random people who said one day "how about i do some voice acting?" VA in japan is a very serious business.

It's true to some extent what mint said; bad jp VA is more tolerable then bad eng VA for people that speak english but can't understand JP.

that said, it's still very possible to get good english VA... see american cartoons like The Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill... they're all superbly cast and voice acted. Even animes can be well dubbed; with Cowboy Bebop been a prime example (I very much prefer to watch CB dubbed then subbed... where as this isn't true for most other anime).

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Zaptruder said:
It's true to some extent what mint said; bad jp VA is more tolerable then bad eng VA for people that speak english but can't understand JP.

that said, it's still very possible to get good english VA... see american cartoons like The Simpsons, Futurama, King of the Hill... they're all superbly cast and voice acted. Even animes can be well dubbed; with Cowboy Bebop been a prime example (I very much prefer to watch CB dubbed then subbed... where as this isn't true for most other anime).

Even then cb dub sucks compared to real american cartoons such as the simpsons,futurama, so on and so forth.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
adelgary said:
Heh, my friend who works as a computer animator (he's probably seen every CG cinematic in existence) told me that in his opinion WarCraft 3 has the best CG cinematics ever, and he's a HUGE Square fan.
What you mean like me?

You're friend is indeed in the need of new glasses. WarCraft 3 CG could be the best 3DSMax CG ever created but the overall best? NO SIR!

TekunoRobby said:
What you mean like me?

You're friend is indeed in the need of new glasses. WarCraft 3 CG could be the best 3DSMax CG ever created but the overall best? NO SIR!

Why not? It's just a question, but are you really in a good position to criticize his opinion? I mean, do you work with computer graphics, do you have any knowledge of computer graphics?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Littleberu said:
Why not? It's just a question, but are you really in a good position to criticize his opinion? I mean, do you work with computer graphics, do you have any knowledge of computer graphics?
Yes and yes, that was my major and I'm currently working on my Masters (along with my Comp Sci degree). 3DStudio Max was also one of my early strong points so I'm extremely competant with that program and I thoroughly understand the ins/outs.

Although I was turned down by Factor 5 so I don't know how professional I'd be considered. HEE HEE (it was mainly for shits and giggles but they did like my work so hey). I'm mostly doing freelance work at the moment for a TON of Latin American companies and a few other corperations (thanks to my location).

Oh and I was speaking in purely technical terms. If you think the CG of WarCraft III has the best artistic value you've ever seen, then that is fine by me. We are now entering the realm of subjectivity and there is no point in arguing with another's opinion (but it sure is educational). Hell the WCIII CG is one of my personal favorites and I know a few guys who worked on it (they did visit my college and through that I got to meet a few of them).

EDIT: I'm not trying to sound like an expert so please don't think I'm not (yes it's VERY pretentious to say that but I would rather sound like an asshole than people think I'm something that I'm not). I consider myself a student and will be for a few years.
=(

emerge

When a trailer for a game shows 95% CG and 5% gameplay you know what's going wrong. That said i still like interactive movies.

Belfast

emerge said:
When a trailer for a game shows 95% CG and 5% gameplay you know what's going wrong. That said i still like interactive movies.

Not really. This has been going on since Final Fantasy 7. I don't see how anyone could make a statement like that, though, especially with Matsuno at the helm. Besides, I'd say its more 50/50. There's not much gameplay, but at least half the cinemas shown were in real-time. Besides, this is all likely from the first 10-20 minutes of the game. :p

But enough of that. This looks excellent and maybe I missed it, but I wasn't aware of the Basche character before. Interesting....

Zilch

Banned
emerge said:

Oh brother. Most japanese video game trailers (and probably US ones too) feature mostly CG or in-game cutscenes rather than gameplay, not just Square/FF ones.

Solid

thumbs_up.gif

Too bad it ain't here until 2006 in Europe! :(

kevm3

Looks sweet. Showcasing the FMV first has been going on since final fantasy 7. I'm really liking the atmosphere of this one. The new creatures look great. The only thing that bothers me is the rather dull or subdued color schematics. It just has a slightly washed out look, but maybe that's the overall atmosphere of the game. I"ll gladly take that over some happy go lucky, cuddly super-adventure.

emerge

I am aware that it was FFVII that started this trend. I don't think that this fact in any way lessens my statement.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
As long as there isn't.....

ha...ha....haha...hahahahahaha...haha...*hiccup*

STABSTABSTABSTABSTABSTAB

cuccoo

do you people see many trailers pre-FF7? I think its pretty much the standard of the industry, not just FF/Square thing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Looks pretty cool. Wish I could see more of the combat system though. =/

The bird people don't look as bad as a thought (when they turned to the side, they looked a bit better) but they are still assout ugly as sin.

emerge

cuccoo said:
do you people see many trailers pre-FF7? I think its pretty much the standard of the industry, not just FF/Square thing.

Of course, since the massive storage space of the CD-medium introduced the concept of CG cutscenes to the gaming industry. Anyway, this trailer tells me nothing at all about the _game_, just about it's setting. When watching a trailer like this i can sort of understand what Nintendo execs have been meaning when they talk about the industry. This does in no way mean that I am not intrigued by pretty gfx and CG cutscenes go a long way at setting the mood for a game. Yet they also kind of distract from what's important, and make especially RPGs a rush from one cutscene to the next. I am also very sure that this evolution is natural, yet i don't know if this is the goal which we should be heading for.

Belfast

emerge said:
I am aware that it was FFVII that started this trend. I don't think that this fact in any way lessens my statement.

I do, because, in general, most RPGs have more gameplay than any other game out there.

A 30+ hour game (depending on the game) with about 5-6 hours of cinemas (10 at MOST in rare cases)? I'd say that's a pretty good proportion of gameplay.

emerge said:

It does when you consider that FF is in no way an interactive movie. Go check out some Sega CD games if you want real interactive movies. Because once you play them, you'll see there's an absolutely massive difference between those and FF's.

Top Bottom