• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Horizon: AMD New ZEN CPU Preview Event

Another alleged leak, this one is supposedly a leaked review from CPCHardware. The story is at http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-review-leaked/ so another big grain of salt..

According to the story, the benchmarks were done on an engineering sample that was clocked at 3.1 but boosted to 3.4 pre Ryzen reveal.

This one includes prices, lol.

Code:
SR7 Black Edition	SR7	SR5	SR3
Microarchitecture	Zen	Zen	Zen	Zen
L2 Cache	4MB	4MB	3MB	2MB
L3 Cache	16MB	16MB	12MB	8MB
Cores	8	8	6	4
Threads	16	16	12	8
Core Clock	3.4	3.4	TBA	TBA
Turbo Clock	TBA	TBA	TBA	TBA
Alleged* MSRPs	$499	$349	$249	$149
Launch	January	January	March	March

V_Arnold

So competitiv, ill stay on my FX-6300 for a while :D
(Seriously. It might hurt for gaming, but general multitasking+programming, I cant spend extra for getting LESS cores... unless that SR5 is a serious stepup with the 4/8 setup. )
Edit: I am stupid. The SR5 is 6/12, not 4/8 :O

How competitive are these prices?

It really depends on production model benchmarks for the more expensive ones... But I don't see how an i3 will look good compared to a 4c8t Zen for $150 if these are real.

So competitiv, ill stay on my FX-6300 for a while :D
(Seriously. It might hurt for gaming, but general multitasking+programming, I cant spend extra for getting LESS cores... unless that SR5 is a serious stepup with the 4/8 setup. )
Well, right now you technically have a 3/6 setup. You have three modules with 6 threads. And each one of those cores on the Ryzen should be about %40-%50 more capable than each one in your CPU.

My question is if it will be a lower clocked 8 core processor or a octo core variant.

From these benchmarks it seems even the early protype benchmarks are showing significant promise.

For the Jaguar CPU's which are inferior to any i3 variant made in the last 5 years, Zen is a sea change in computational power for consoles, which for the past 15 years have had CPU's at launch that were already far below the established CPU norms at the time.(not counting PS3 architectural anomaly)

It will use a lower-clocked variant, the variants being discussed here use too much power to fit in the console TDP envelope. We don't know what that looks like performance-wise yet.

Will Zen chips get some mini itx boards?

Does this mean I could get a high end CPU from AMD on a small board? Because that would be cool.

It will depend on motherboard makers.

Durante

The prices on the lower three would be quite competitive if true.
It would be a bit of a shame if the release versions are 3.4 GHz because they would still be noticeably behind Intel in everything which doesn't scale well, like most games, but at least they'd be a decent alternative.

Landford

Banned
I dont know how well I should trust those benchmakrs, but if the prices are right and performance in real world applications are true, then AMD will be competitive for the first time in a decade.

It would be a bit of a shame if the release versions are 3.4 GHz because they would still be noticeably behind Intel in everything which doesn't scale well, like most games, but at least they'd be a decent alternative.

I really depends on how well they clock with better cooling. It looks like they were really aiming for that power envelope, clocks be damned. So, once these things come out, it'll be interesting to see how their auto-clocking algorithm works.

Vash63

I think it's interesting that the $500 model is so much more than the plain 'SR7', makes me think they're quite proud of whatever boost technology they have. I think if it can boost up to 4-4.3GHz or so they'll be in great shape with those prices.

wildfire

Banned
Those prices are fake click bait.

I expected those prices when I thought ryzen would be equal to Haswell and would make up the difference with Skylake by offering more cores.

It appears that Ryzen is as good or better than Skylake depending on software.

Because of that these prices are simply to good and AMD who is really strapped for revenue would be pissing away profits they need and would deserve for closing the gap so much.

I think it's interesting that the $500 model is so much more than the plain 'SR7', makes me think they're quite proud of whatever boost technology they have. I think if it can boost up to 4-4.3GHz or so they'll be in great shape with those prices.

This will be largely dependent on the cooling solution you have, methinks.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It will use a lower-clocked variant, the variants being discussed here use too much power to fit in the console TDP envelope. We don't know what that looks like performance-wise yet.

I get that, i'm talking about the semi custom versions that are eventually made. The core count will matter just as much as the eventual clocks i think

I get that, i'm talking about the semi custom versions that are eventually made. The core count will matter just as much as the eventual clocks i think

Sure, and I'm agreeing with you. You said "8 core" and "octo-core" in your sentence, which is the same thing.

Edit: I think it'll be an eight-core processor with lower clock speeds than desktop Zen.

Inuhanyou

Sure, and I'm agreeing with you. You said "8 core" and "octo-core" in your sentence, which is the same thing.

Edit: I think it'll be an eight-core processor with lower clock speeds than desktop Zen.

uh...hm. Lol my mistake. I meant to say 'i wonder if it will be a quad core with 8 threads or an octo core with 16'

Inuhanyou

Ah, that is a good question.

You seem to know a decent amount about tech, any thoughts on if either one would be 'better'? And i assume lower and higher clockspeeds would be taken into account as well depending on the solution

wildfire

Banned
Desktop? Not sure you can find them outside of laptops these days.

Dual core cpus are very common.

They dominate the sub 100 price point.

Intel's kabylake lineup still offers dual core.

I'm fairly sure AMD is on the record they will only sell 4 thread dual cores at the lowest so there is some credence that AMD will put a lot of pressure on Intel but those prices are still to low.

Dual core cpus are very common.

They dominate the sub 100 price point.

Intel's kabylake lineup still offers dual core.

I'm fairly sure AMD is on the record they will only sell 4 thread dual cores at the lowest so there is some credence that AMD will put a lot of pressure on Intel but those prices are still to low.
I thought they said Zen (Now Ryzen) would be available in 8,6, and 4 core variants. I wasn't aware of a dual core version.

Nachtmaer

I thought they said Zen (Now Ryzen) would be available in 8,6, and 4 core variants. I wasn't aware of a dual core version.

So far AMD haven't said anything about core configurations. What we do know is that they're launching just one chip in Q1 2017. That's Summit Ridge with 8C/16T which also gets a server launch later on with up to four of those stuffed into one package. In H2 2017 they'll be releasing Raven Ridge which is their Zen-based APU with 4C/8T and I believe 12CUs.

Outside of that and some architecture and base frequency stuff, we basically know nothing.

Top Bottom